Interview with Bartender!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

LanAnh in Santee, California

72 months ago

Hi, I'm a high school student and I'm working on a assignment where I'm suppose to find a career and interview a person. I wonder if any would like to answer my questions. It would help out a lot! Here are the questions:

1. What is your current position?
2. What is your educational background?
3. How did you choose this career?
4. What jobs did you hold before starting in this career?
5. Describe a typical day in your job.
6. What skills do you use in your job?
7. What do you like best/least in your job?
8. What education and experience prepared you this career?
9. What are pros/cons of your current career?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

gangmurr@aol.com

63 months ago

LanAnh in Santee, California said: Hi, I'm a high school student and I'm working on a assignment where I'm suppose to find a career and interview a person. I wonder if any would like to answer my questions. It would help out a lot! Here are the questions:

5. Describe a typical day in your job.
6. What skills do you use in your job?
7. What do you like best/least in your job?
8. What education and experience prepared you this career?

my name is lori i'm currently a bartender in a sports bar previously i was a bartender manager in a bar for 23 years i miss it very much. i have high school diploma and a bartending certificate. bartending is not for everybody people thinks its a easy job you have to deal with difficult people when they had to much to drink etc. but, i enjoy being around people and making them laugh. the pros and cons of this job is you really can't do it forever i right now have to muchexperience and have a hard time finding the job i want after 23 yrs in the same place. guess i should of been like my other bartending friends and jump around. but, i was comfortable where i was and had a great boss well thats about it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

She-unemployed in Houston, Texas

61 months ago

LanAnh in Santee, California said: Hi, I'm a high school student and I'm working on a assignment where I'm suppose to find a career and interview a person. I wonder if any would like to answer my questions. It would help out a lot! Here are the questions:

Unemployed.
8th grade.
If i had my choice this wouldent be it.
Raising children, modeling, maid, fast food, restrants,Administrative assistant, nail tech,Intertainer.And not in that order.
5. Describe a typical day in your job. Sleep all day, go to work before sun down, bord or rinning your a-- off, getting hit on, slobered on, somthing spilled on me, prey it not throw up or blood from a fight. And hope you manager is in a good mood or gone.ETC.
6. What skills do you use in your job? Prefrial vision, multy task, wits, speed, body language, etc. Oh and run the register and other $ collecting mach.
7. What do you like best/least in your job? Best the pay and a few laughs. Least see abouve.
8. What education and experience prepared you this career? Learning to count, talk to people, and dress the part. Learn what type of clientell you serve.

Finding a new one.
Sighned, She-unempoyed

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

AB in Pompano Beach, Florida

54 months ago

1. What is your current position? Agent / Executive Assistant
2. What is your educational background? Bachelors Degree in Finance
3. How did you choose this career? I became a bartender in college because it was a great way to make a lot of money at a part-time job
4. What jobs did you hold before starting in this career? Waiter
5. Describe a typical day in your job. There is no typical day for a bartender, that's why it can be so tough. Sometimes you stand around staring at the wall, sometimes you can't move fast enough to keep up. Some days you're top of the world, some days your in the dumps. But work wise, a typical day is just being behind your bar, and taking care of anything that presents itself.
6. What skills do you use in your job? Social skills, multi tasking, math, problem solving, decision making, and of course pouring drinks.
7. What do you like best/least in your job? Best is the money and the girls, least is the morning after when it takes everything you have to get out of bed.
8. What education and experience prepared you this career? Being a waiter in high school prepared me for the service aspect of being a bartender.
9. What are pros/cons of your current career? Some days it's the greatest job in the world, some days it's the worst. For me, I stopped bartending because it has a way of sucking you in. I'm twenty five now, when I was twenty three I was making significantly more money than my mother, who has a masters degree. But when I looked around and saw my co-workers, 30, 35, 40 years old, I knew that I didn't want to end up like them, working and living from day to day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

confidential in Amityville, New York

52 months ago

Retired Homicide Investigator. Became a cop because there was no work available in 1970's/1980's. Almost as bad as it is now, and needed a steady job. A high school diploma got me a 100 on the written exam after extreme studying and cramming. Worked patrol. Got promoted to Detective. Studied for the promotional exam and made Sergeant. Got assigned to patrol. Got bumped back up to Squad. Retired. Currently looking for work to pay bills and keep busy. So, how does this all fit into your initial inquiry? I thank all the bartenders over the years who were instrumental in my mental health. A good bartender is equally as important as a good partner. Some have good educations, others do not. Some have trade/business skills, some do not. Put any of them behind the bar, and it's magic. It's the reason they were put here on earth. I never was cheap in tipping because they depend on tips for their income. I do not trust doctors, politicians, clergy, spouses, most members of my family with exception of my kids, just about anyone; But I do trust and respect bartenders. Especially when you get to know the same one. In days of old, put in a few hours a day from the paying side of the bar. I have absolutely no regard for what others may think, I like bartenders. To all of you mugs out there,Cheers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.