Avg. Chaplain salary rate

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 61)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Sarah in Fort Smith, Arkansas

75 months ago

I am wondering if the Average Chaplain Salary listed here is the actual base pay rate---what I consider to be the actual salary, or, is it including the average TOTAL salary that could include the overtime from emergency on-calls.
What is the average base salary for Hospital Chaplains?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (82) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

Paulus in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

74 months ago

It depends where your husband works. Is it a Nursing home or hospice. Nomally they do not pay much. It is different if it is a hospital.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

c.jones1946@yahoo.com in Emeryville, California

72 months ago

I AM SEEKING A PASTOR &/OR CHAPLAIN JOB.

MRE- RELIGIOUS ED; BA- RELIGIOUS STUDIES; AA- SOC.SCI

DIPLOMA- FITNESS-NUTRITION... MT.6.33 AMEN.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Sarah in Antlers, Oklahoma

63 months ago

Hi- wow I missed your reply. He works at a hospital, not a hospice or nursing home. Also, since then almost all overtime pay has been cut.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sarah in Antlers, Oklahoma

63 months ago

Furthermore, his TAKE-HOME pay for 2 weeks is about $1100.00 after all the deductions for healthcare and all. Not that he intends to leave, but I just think that is lousy- especially since he went to college for engineering, then got a masters in divinity and (went 2 more years for another masters in theology but couldn't finish at the time and place) then did the chaplain training and is certified ---it is just tough financially for us
and I think he is underpaid. DO YOU???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jossh in San Antonio, Texas

60 months ago

When I worked as a hospice Chaplain in '07 I was paid $23 an hour plus a housing allowance and they paid half of my medical insurance.

Today I work w/ a different Hospice Co. (still in San Antonio, TX.), and make $28 an hour with no housing allowance and they pay for all my medical insurance. no 401k either

It must be very difficult for you and your husband with only 1,100 take home. I'm single and that pay would not cut it for me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jastam in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

60 months ago

Sarah said: Hi Jossh- Thank you very kindly for the info. That helps - a lot.
It is tough!!! Your empathy helps even more. :)
(I hope Jack is NOT a chaplain or considering it!)

Hi Sarah, I can really empathize with what you are saying. I am a chaplain also, and the pay is absolutely disgraceful. I worked in hospice for many years. In Pennsylvania, the salary range was around $36,000 - to $37,000 and no pay for on-call. If you worked on call you were expected to take the hours off on another day, however there was never time to take off because of the case load. I then moved to Ohio and was a Chaplain there and the salary was a little higher for hospice - $42,000 - $43,000 with on-call pay. Because of personal reasons, I had to return to PA via a transfer with the company, they maintained my salary but there was no on-call pay, mileage was only 41 cents per mileand the on-call hours were unbelievable, so I changed jobs and now am a chaplain for another type of healthcare and the pay absolutely stinks $40,000 with a take home of $1200 bi-weekly with no on-call and less wear and tear on my car which is a 2007 Honda with 85,000 miles. After 4-5 years of seminary, a Masters-in-Divinity, I have a shared office, shared computer, and so it is! These companies will answer to God one day!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Sarah in Van Buren, Arkansas

59 months ago

Hi- I appreciate your post. I helps to know what others are ACTUALLY earning because my husbands salary is less than what this site says it should be and my original intent was to find answers to this.

And, of course, your empathy is appreciated :)

Hang in there. Yeah, he has a VERY cramped office too, I think that is everywhere though, that actually does not bother him because I asked him recently!

Where his residency was the office was near the trash for the cafeteria and it was way down some dimly lit-creepy-lonely corridor near biohazzard signs and it felt like it was a tiny corner closet in the basement-- so it can be worse!!! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

susan in Galesburg, Illinois

48 months ago

I've been both a hospital chaplain and a hospice chaplain and have 11 years combined experience. In every position I've had hourly pay and only work 32 hours a pay period. I have never made anywhere near the figures listed here but have always had enough. Still, I remember talking at a staff meeting years ago about our salaries. At that time I worked for a Catholic hospital and said I felt they expected us to take a vow of poverty! The nun on staff said she had taken a vow of poverty and felt that the pay was too low! I challenged the Personnel department to compare our pay with other hospitals and as a result they gave us a 6% raise.

I find the rewards of the position to outweigh the lower pay. I love the freedom and opportunity to help others but sometimes the pay doesn't quite outweigh the stress . . .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Carl

45 months ago

The pay for chaplains depends on where you live and who you work for. If you work in the California State Chaplain's system the average pay is $47,000 with civil service status. This means you have vestment, medical, retirement 401k, and per diem for travel .54 cents per mile. If you check out the website for the State of California Chaplains you can see the pay scale. GREAT CAUTION! YOU WILL EARN EVERY PENNY! THE WORK LOAD IS AWLFULLY AND IT'S VERY, VERY STRESSFUL.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

John in Calgary, Alberta

40 months ago

If you are a Chaplain, you are not supposed to be worried about making a paycheck to keep up with the Joneses. Even if they gave you 12.00 an hour, as long as you have enough for a roof over your head and food, and you have the opportunity to serve the Lord 24/7, what is there to worry about?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (117) Reply - Report abuse

susan in Galesburg, Illinois

40 months ago

Because some chaplains don't make enough to keep a roof over their head!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (64) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

jossh in Helotes, Texas

40 months ago

John in Calgary, Alberta said: If you are a Chaplain, you are not supposed to be worried about making a paycheck to keep up with the Joneses. Even if they gave you 12.00 an hour, as long as you have enough for a roof over your head and food, and you have the opportunity to serve the Lord 24/7, what is there to worry about?

I'm always amused when people and employers believe that anyone who ministers to serve God by serving His people should expect to be ripped off by their employer.

I make it very clear to anyone I work for that I expect and deserve the same treatment as any other MA degreed professional applying for a job. That I do this for My Lord does not give them a license to abuse and minimize my value as a great asset to their MONEY MAKING company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (85) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sarah

39 months ago

our other neighbor lived in a trailer but she just got special help from the gov. and got a beautiful home built. My husband makes a few thousand too much to qualify. We both have food allergies and must spend a ton of extra $ on food--it is very difficult. Plus, the new house we bought is a total lemon and we were frauded--the builder was unlicensed and did his own electrical work and there are problems with the foundation failing and all kinds of problems and it has been an absolute nightmare so again, John in Calgary's comments could not be more off base.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Rev.Dr.octave kayanda in Greensboro, North Carolina

38 months ago

I thank God for all of you,may the lord God bless you today and always.i know you all work hurt for chaplain job ,i know is spiritually job i pray God continually bless you and protect you all.i am also seeking chaplain job,i have doctor degree bibles studies,also i am a pastor

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

JoAnn in Rockwall, Texas

37 months ago

The Bible says that the laborer is worthy of his hire. All the wrong people are appreciated it seems in this culture. People that do the greatest work are seemingly paid the least. Pastors, counselors, chaplains. Sorry, idealistic dreamers, but barely having enough- is not enough. You need $ to pay for the kid's braces. You need $ to take the injured dog to the vet. You need $ to see the dentist about that broken tooth. Need I say more. And if you think that God is all about being poor, take a look at the Tabernacle. Wow! That place was full of bling.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

K..... in Southfield, Michigan

37 months ago

JoAnn in Rockwall, Texas said: The Bible says that the laborer is worthy of his hire. All the wrong people are appreciated it seems in this culture. People that do the greatest work are seemingly paid the least. Pastors, counselors, chaplains. Sorry, idealistic dreamers, but barely having enough- is not enough. You need $ to pay for the kid's braces. You need $ to take the injured dog to the vet. You need $ to see the dentist about that broken tooth. Need I say more. And if you think that God is all about being poor, take a look at the Tabernacle. Wow! That place was full of bling.

I understand where you are coming from. Well I just feel that Blessings does not always come in $ signs. The Lord has always made a way, Especially considering that he knows what we need before we do. Poor is a state of mind. .. Tabernacle is only a building made by man. Reality begins with a dream, are made out of ideas....The Lord is Our Source of Prosperity.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Riverside, California

34 months ago

John in Calgary, Alberta said: If you are a Chaplain, you are not supposed to be worried about making a paycheck to keep up with the Joneses. Even if they gave you 12.00 an hour, as long as you have enough for a roof over your head and food, and you have the opportunity to serve the Lord 24/7, what is there to worry about?

Amen! anyone who gets into this profession for anything other than that is an actor!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

ellen egerter in Wappingers Falls, New York

32 months ago

Hi All,
I'M LOOKING INTO BECOMING A CHAPLAIN TOO.
DOES ANYONE WORK AS ONE IN ANY HOSPITAL IN NEW YORK CITY?
AND WHAT IS THE PAY THERE? THANKS ELLEN HOPEFUL & PRAYING THIS WILL WORK FOR ME

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

shawn in Satellite Provider

32 months ago

I agree with the sentiments of many here that chaplains are not supposed to be focused on the pay they are getting. They are supposed to be focused on being obedient to God. What many are missing is that all of us, even chaplains and pastors are commanded to provide for our families. Sometimes that means comparing pay at other companies and locations and making wise changes. Doing so is not selfish or greedy in any way. It has it's place on the hierarchy of godly priorities.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JAD in Nashville, Tennessee

32 months ago

Chaplains make what the market dictates and according to the value that the administration deem that we bring to the organization. This seems to me to be right around 40k on average (add 30% for government chaplains). This about the same for parish ministers in my denomination who are coming out of seminary. We will not be paid the same as others with masters degrees, nor have we (or will we) ever. Many social workers and educators make similar salaries depending on where they work. Is this fair compensation? I suppose that depends on your perspective, but it IS reality and that should be understood PRIOR to choosing this profession. That being said, it's not really helpful to judge someone for wanting to be able to feed their kids.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No Reply - Report abuse

ellen in Poughkeepsie, New York

32 months ago

thanks all for followups 2 my concern about salary - 4 me what you estimated will b a sacrifice but doable - i am going 2 go 4 it ! please say prayers for me - thanks ellen e - cold spring ny

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

ckzear in Tecumseh, Oklahoma

32 months ago

K..... in Detroit, Michigan said: Those are my feeling exactly. I though people become Chaplains to help people, and to help serve the Lord. It seems like people are only caring about the money.

Did you ever stop and think how much money has to be paid back for student loans to have a masters degree as a chaplain. Its not about the money to keep up with the Jonses. It about the money to be able to pay our bills. Just like the rest of america.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Perry in North Little Rock, Arkansas

32 months ago

Friends,
All these are great concerns. I have a family to feed as well. To be honest from some of the answers I am reading through many are filled with hatred and quick judgement. In Chaplaincy those are not complimentary and I would say, if you are called to serve then God will take care of you. Work a second job if you have too, (Paul did whatever it took to preach the Gospel) just make sure you are doing what is needed. Have a great day in the Lord!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Jossh Carmen in San Antonio, Texas

31 months ago

I like that, thank you!

so true.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

John in Calgary, Alberta

31 months ago

jossh in Helotes, Texas said: I'm always amused when people and employers believe that anyone who ministers to serve God by serving His people should expect to be ripped off by their employer.

I make it very clear to anyone I work for that I expect and deserve the same treatment as any other MA degreed professional applying for a job. That I do this for My Lord does not give them a license to abuse and minimize my value as a great asset to their MONEY MAKING company.

First Seek the kingdom of heaven, and everything shall be added into you. God wants you to know if you are truly letting Him take the reigns of finances in true surrender. This is not about seeking pragmatic reality but rather about your personal relationship with God. This means also tithing while one is in debt, having the courage to put the Lord First. As a chaplain your duty is to set the example for your congregation. Take this opportunity to be humbled and remember we serve out of gratitude because he has saved us first, not because we need to do works to reach salvation. Now this seems obvious with salvation but this concept of surrendering the need to earn for works applies to taking care of everyday needs as a principle allowing the Lord to provide for you. Geylt into prayer and seek to strengthen the relationship with Him and it is about accepting being broken because all of us have fallen short of the glory of God. We need not judge ourselves with regards to our ability to provide because it is NOT about you providing but rather about letting the Lord provide and living in surrender and following him.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

John in Vancouver, British Columbia

31 months ago

It is amazing how the Lird has patience to love us through these endless mistakes. Jesus kicked the tables of the money changers. Stress of finances? He gave you salvation. You have the opportunity to share the good news that works is not needed for salvation but the simple acceptance of Jesus' sacrifice. First seek the kingdom of Heaven and pray for forgiveness for feeling angry and stressed over finances when your salvation has been completed for you. Your life is already fulfilling bringing all those who wish to hear the good news and knowing that you cannot repay this kindness should help in this seeking his kingdom daily to deepen your relationship that is there offered so generously to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

JHLaPere in Madison Heights, Michigan

28 months ago

K..... in Detroit, Michigan said: Those are my feeling exactly. I though people become Chaplains to help people, and to help serve the Lord. It seems like people are only caring about the money.

We work to serve the LORD and others, but the reality is we need to make a livable wage. We have sons and daughters who need to go to college. We need to purchase homes and automobiles just like everyone else. We do not live in parsonages where our utilities are provided as well as the repairs. We need to have money in a retirement account when we can no longer work. The facts are that many first year teachers who have a bachelors degree make 20,000 more than experienced chaplains with Masters degrees and 2 years of CPE and decades of experience. Fact is, we are NOT in it for the money. But we need money to live which the LORD does provide through our employers. Your arguement that we are in this for the money doesn't stand up--look at the posted salaries. I am afraid that many think the old adage, "Lord, You keep them humble and we'll keep them poor", is not only wrong but antiBiblical as Paul talks about 'double honor' to Timothy--not that it is double pay but reasonable compensation is part of that picture.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Hosp. Chaplain in Salt Lake City, Utah

26 months ago

I have read your comments and have worked as a chaplain for a number of years. I have been educated and when I graduated I owed $40,000 in student loans. I am a single parent with children to support and raise. I make a difference where I work, whether in hospice or in the hospital. I change lives every day and these changed people are able to live the rest of their lives without guilt and are able to proceed in life able to walk through their grief. I still need a retirement account and and the ability to pay my bills and my house payment. I am often exhausted and work 14 hour days and take night call. When I was in CPE, no supervisor ever taught us that we had to live in poverty the rest of our lives if we wanted to be a chaplain. Fact is, I should be paid by an organization that is profit driven, or not if I enhance their services to the community. If they recognize that I make a difference and people are returning because of my care. This brings validity to the profession. And we are professionals. We are educated more than social workers but they want us to volunteer because we are chaplains? If we don't demand what we need to survive, we will continue to be overlooked on the pay scale.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Hosp. Chaplain in Salt Lake City, Utah

26 months ago

John in Calgary, Alberta said: If you are a Chaplain , you are not supposed to be worried about making a paycheck to keep up with the Joneses. Even if they gave you 12.00 an hour, as long as you have enough for a roof over your head and food , and you have the opportunity to serve the Lord 24/7, what is there to worry about?

When you have no inheritance, No home ownership and no other income and no congregation, you have to survive. You need health insurance, transportation and money to pay bills. I don't think any of us set out to get rich as chaplains then we would be greedy. We are not the televangelists who bring in millions. We are just asking for equal compensation within our companies and to provide for our families. No lectures about living on nothing are needed. We are not street pastors, we are highly educated professionals who want to be responsible citizens by paying our bills.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No Reply - Report abuse

William Payne in Madison, Tennessee

26 months ago

I have read these comments with a very open mind because after months of prayer I know that this is what GOD has called me to do. I would love someone that is a chaplain currently to respond to my message if possible please as I have a few very direct questions. Thanks very much

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

Sure thing, Mr. Payne, what is your question? My name is Jossh and I am a Hospice Chaplain in San Antonio. Work can be stressful at times as I visit my patients and family members. I love my ministry and my work environment, (to include my supervisor), supports my ministry to offer Pastoral Support for those in need.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Oranjwoman in Denton, Texas

25 months ago

Mr. Jossh Carmen, where do you work in San Antonio? I may need to relocate to San Antonio where my parents live. Also, this would be my first paid job as a chaplain. What are resources you would recommend to learn more about this profession? I have an M.Div. and trained for 1 semester in a hospital. But I would like some current training/reading. I also have a Master's in Counseling. I'm hoping it's easier to get a job as a chaplain than a counselor. I've been looking for work for over 6 months. Just trusting God...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Oranjwoman in Denton, Texas

25 months ago

BTW, I'm lucky to not need a huge salary. $12 per hour would be fine. But if my husband wasn't helping with the bills, it would be very difficult to live on that as a single person and take care of my daughter too. Getting a Master's Degree in anything is pretty expensive unless you take a long time to do it because you pay as you go. I also have student loans to pay back. After taxes, 1500/mo is plenty, but it is still poor. I think I wouldn't qualify for government help with health insurance. If I got sick or the car broke down, I don't know how I would pay for it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

Oranjwoman in Denton, Texas said: Mr. Jossh Carmen, where do you work in San Antonio? I may need to relocate to San Antonio where my parents live. Also, this would be my first paid job as a chaplain. What are resources you would recommend to learn more about this profession? I have an M.Div. and trained for 1 semester in a hospital. But I would like some current training/reading. I also have a Master's in Counseling. I'm hoping it's easier to get a job as a chaplain than a counselor. I've been looking for work for over 6 months. Just trusting God...

Having an MDiv. is EXCELLENT qualification for Pastoral Ministry. In San Antonio, it's a huge help if you can also speak Spanish and minister to Catholic Patients. ***I would try to have at least 4 Units, (one year), of Clinical Pastoral Education under my belt. Christus Santa Rosa downtown has an excellent program. Either way, I would go down the list of Hospice Companies and start making phone calls.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

Whatever you do, DO NOT ask for $12 an hour. At $12 an hour, your salary would be just $3 above a busboy at Bill Miller Bar-B-Que! $26 an hour is a reasonable and respectable pay for your education and professional responsibilities. Negotiate and know your worth! You would be doing a great injustice to yourself as well as other Chaplains before and after you, not to mention the value your supervisor will have for your ministry.

As a Hospice or Healthcare Staff Chaplain, you will be responsible for, among other things, keeping up with Medicare guidelines, keeping schedules, public speaking, being available to perform emergencies that ONLY a caring, professional and experienced Chaplain can do.

NO DOCTOR, NURSE OR SOCIAL WORKER WILL WILL COME CLOSE IN SATISFYING THE PATIENT AND FAMILY WHO ARE NEED OF EMOTIONAL, SPIRITUAL AND/OR RELIGIOUS NEEDS THAT THEY SEEK FROM YOU. You will have weeks and sometimes months of constant professional, emotional, spiritual pressure. God will have to be your foundation if you will have any worth and ability to heal the broken hearted.

My constant prayer before I enter the space of a patient and/or family crises is, “Lord have Mercy on me a poor sinner. Help me to decrease, decrease, decrease completely and your Will, Mercy and Healing in me INCREASE.” When you ask this from your heart, Jesus in you will do what no human is cabable of doing. Then watch the healing of mind and spirit happen time and time again as you remind yourself you were possibly 2% of this equation. Go get 'em Cowboy and welcome to San Antonio!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

I am God's child in Detroit, Michigan

22 months ago

I am so dissaponted in these post,it is not encouraging at all. Are we call to help the sick and those in need depending on how much we get pay?Did not God say our rewards are in Heaven? I'm sure I'm younger then most of you and granted I may not know anything about either of you but, What I do know is, to be a chaplain is to help, to comfort, to serve. The focus should not be the money. I came on here to find positive info becuse I am a student and I know God is leading me in the direction of chaplaincy. Please let us all go back to what we are call to do. To be servants of the most high and stop complaining. God will provide. In my opinion the amount of money being made is awsome! compare to people in Africa or even in this country. People are making 6 to 7 dollars an hour, no insurance,and are Greatful. While you are making 40 to almost 50 thousand dollars and complaining. Let us not get weary in our well doings. we all are bless so let's count those blessings.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Lori C. in Dallas, Texas

22 months ago

I will serve whatever I get paid, but I think it is a sin to not pay back my loans. And given my education, $26 an hour would be great. I've worked for less and worked for nothing. It is smart to know the average salary for our field. Private practice clinicians make up to $75 an hour. I know there are starving people all over the world. But I live in the US and if I make a good salary and can help support those people and even do some mission work in their countries. God has blessed is for a reason: to share his gospel and glory. God will more than provide for us to do this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Misty in Union Lake, Michigan

21 months ago

Hello Detroiter,

how's it going there. Yes I agree with you, there is no price on doing God's work. Please do not get discouraged, by what you read on this site. They are just really Blunt which is what you want, you come here for the truth and that is exactly what you will find. If you were looking for a different type of job I think the people discussing money might hit you on a different level. Some people do not want to wait until they get to heaven to reap their reward (no disrespect) I am just saying. Some people just tell it like it is, I am glad they do because I never knew that being a chaplain paid so little. If you are thinking about Chaplaincy, do it! because when I thought about it I received my answer to do it. It is a good job to have, the only thing I have to say is that Detroit needs to have more Islamic Chaplains working in their Hospitals. Hospitals are easy to get into. So if you have done your units already and are deciding to work at a Hospital, I got a shoe in at Beaumount Hospital. Harper Hospital is good as well. Sinai is good for your training. Some only require 2 units when working at these Hospitals, but you might be an east sider and I do not know about the east side. If you are a west sider I can help you out a lot.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

That's why you get your Masters online. Pay it all then, and be done with it....That's what I did. BAM! ! ! done.....OFFICIAL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

21 months ago

JHLaPere in Madison Heights, Michigan said: We work to serve the LORD and others, but the reality is we need to make a livable wage. We have sons and daughters who need to go to college . We need to purchase homes and automobiles just like everyone else. We do not live in parsonages where our utilities are provided as well as the repairs. We need to have money in a retirement account when we can no longer work. The facts are that many first year teachers who have a bachelors degree make 20,000 more than experienced chaplains with Masters degrees and 2 years of CPE and decades of experience. Fact is, we are NOT in it for the money. But we need money to live which the LORD does provide through our employers. Your arguement that we are in this for the money doesn't stand up--look at the posted salaries. I am afraid that many think the old adage, "Lord, You keep them humble and we'll keep them poor", is not only wrong but antiBiblical as Paul talks about 'double honor' to Timothy--not that it is double pay but reasonable compensation is part of that picture.

Um excuse Madison Heights resident.......The Lord has always provided for me. He has always been there for me. You are thinking from a mankind point of view, and not Spiritual point of view. I am not raising an argument, I am merely exercising my freedom of speech. Also you are not coming from a spiritual place. The lord called me to work as a chaplain, so, my mind was not on money no kind of way. Simply because the lord has always supplied my every need. (Nice home, New car, house full of furniture) This is what the lord gave to me, all I did was ask. You have to go to the Lord with your whole heart, when you are trying to do work for him. Not with dollar Bill signs tape on your forehead. God knows what your needs are before you do, before you ever will know. You think you know. I have too many Testimonials

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

John in Montreal, Quebec

21 months ago

Seek first the kingdom of Heaven and everything shall be added unto you. You should loOk up Abraham Hicks law of manifestation. Have you watched The Secret? Ones subconscious mind needs to be rid of poverty minded programs and belief systems. How can you become a minister when your understanding of truth and reality is no farther ahead than the congregate you lead?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Chaplainlee in United Kingdom

17 months ago

I have been a Hospital Chaplain,I trained at MLK. I have also been a Hospice Chaplain,Retirement Village Chaplain,Community Chaplain & now Marine Cadet Chaplain.I am an Anglican Priest & previously Been a Curate in California as well serving as a Chaplain in California.I am now an Archdeacon with a theology degree,plus 2 masters degrees in theology,YET I have loved being just one aspect:Hospice Chaplain because you have' t got to deal with church politics,but you touch people's lives in so many ways.You are not paid a fortune,even less in the UK,but I would opt for this every time,but not choose California!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

msdee in Norristown, Pennsylvania

17 months ago

shawn in Satellite Provider said: I agree with the sentiments of many here that chaplains are not supposed to be focused on the pay they are getting. They are supposed to be focused on being obedient to God. What many are missing is that all of us, even chaplains and pastors are commanded to provide for our families. Sometimes that means comparing pay at other companies and locations and making wise changes. Doing so is not selfish or greedy in any way. It has it's place on the hierarchy of godly priorities.

This is the most sensible and beautiful post so far. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

lpeaveyonstad@yahoo.com in Charlotte, North Carolina

17 months ago

With all due respect, just because you go into a serving field, it doesn't mean you have to live in poverty. If you were to go to work in a hospice, your doctor would make over $200,000 a year, the nurse, about $70,000 plus, the social worker, about $40,000 to 70,000. Your education would commensurate with all of these and would you then expect to be paid $12.00 and hour for the privilege of providing spiritual care to the patients in a professional and competent manner? I am a professional and a competent pastoral caregiver with years of experience. I have loans and bills to pay, a car to upkeep to travel to my patients homes. If your bills are small and you have no family to support and agree to work for such a wage, you set a precedent for a family person who needs a larger salary to raise and support a family. This wage could very well send a competent qualified chaplain to another field in order to provide for their family. Christ did not ask us to lay down our posessions and take a vow of poverty as in the Bible. Some people choose to volunteer their time in His service, but we all need to make a living. This is hard emotionally draining work that requires time spent away to recover from the requirements of continual crisis. Equal compensation for education and work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

ChapHarris in Pearl, Mississippi

16 months ago

Sarah in Antlers, Oklahoma said: Furthermore, his TAKE-HOME pay for 2 weeks is about $1100.00 after all the deductions for healthcare and all. Not that he intends to leave, but I just think that is lousy- especially since he went to college for engineering , then got a masters in divinity and (went 2 more years for another masters in theology but couldn't finish at the time and place) then did the chaplain training and is certified ---it is just tough financially for us
and I think he is underpaid. DO YOU???

I think he is underpaid and most Chaplains are underpaid. Tell him to seek employment with a federal agency (Veteran Affairs or Federal Bureau of Prisons). Chaplain start at about 70k and are capped at 90k/year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

rich8020 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

16 months ago

John in Calgary, Alberta said: If you are a Chaplain , you are not supposed to be worried about making a paycheck to keep up with the Joneses. Even if they gave you 12.00 an hour, as long as you have enough for a roof over your head and food , and you have the opportunity to serve the Lord 24/7, what is there to worry about?

Hi John, trust the LORD and HE will direct your paths,complaining only stops GOD from working in our life. Don't people read their bible and walk in faith? Steve

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

16 months ago

What does God say about lost sheep father?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

still retired in Texas

16 months ago

I think God would say that life will sort "those sheep" out. Congrats, by the way. Dont forget Beth was praying for you..... might have worked...lol Be well JG

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Gagill in Monticello, New York

16 months ago

I was referring to Luke 15 NIV you num num.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.