Civil Engineer jobs with an AAS Degree

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (24)

Dom in Endicott, New York

55 months ago

I am currently looking to go back to school and am very interested in the AAS Civil Engineering program at my local Community College. The program is designed for 2 years and then into the workforce. What jobs are availible through this program with this degree? Any comments or suggestions about this career move would be appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (69) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Marcie in Fargo, North Dakota

46 months ago

Civil Engineer in Manchester, Tennessee said: Don't waste your time. An AAS degree in Civil Engineering will get you nowhere. For a job as a Civil Engineer AT MINIMUM-you will be reguired to have a bachelor's degree, nd for most companies- a Master's Degree.

This is really not true. I teach computer networking at a 2 year college and our civil students are in the most demand. Should you go on to more college, probably, but they do make 40k plus in their first job. What brings the money is experience and it doesn't matter if you have a 4 year or 2 year. You need to earn your stripes. That's my 2 cents.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Civil Engineer in Houston, Texas

46 months ago

Marcie-

Respectfully, you're wrong. Technically, to be considered a "Civil Engineer", you are required to take and pass the P.E. exam- to qualify for this exam, you are REQUIRED to have a bachelors degree (AND work experience). (Before this, your title is "Engineer in Training" -"EIT")

With an associates degree in Civil Engineering, you can perhaps obtain employment as a Civil Engineering Technician, or a Drafter. Both could be good career choices if that is what you are looking for(The drafter in my department has been there 10 years and makes $70K).
But if you're looking for any design or management positions OR if you're looking for the title of "Civil Engineer", a bachelors is the absolute minimum of what you will need. (And most companies now prefer a Master's degree).

It definitely DOES matter 2 year vs. 4 year- in the field of Civil Engineering, experience means nothing without the proper education.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

billyboy111857 in White Plains, New York

41 months ago

Civil Engineer in Manchester, Tennessee said: Don't waste your time. An AAS degree in Civil Engineering will get you nowhere. For a job as a Civil Engineer AT MINIMUM-you will be reguired to have a bachelor's degree, and for most companies- a Master's Degree.

NICE GUY. MY AAS PAYS ME 70,000 IN NEW YORK. YES A BA IS MORE VALUABLE
BUT DONT LET SOME AH TELL YOU NOT TO IMPROVE YOURSELF.MOST BS ENGINEERS
ARE NO SMARTER THAN YOU.THIS GUY MUST BE UNEMPLOYED.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

billyboy111857 in White Plains, New York

41 months ago

billyboy111857 in White Plains, New York said: NICE GUY. MY AAS PAYS ME 70,000 IN NEW YORK. YES A BA IS MORE VALUABLE
BUT DONT LET SOME AH TELL YOU NOT TO IMPROVE YOURSELF.MOST BS ENGINEERS
ARE NO SMARTER THAN YOU.THIS GUY MUST BE UNEMPLOYED.

ps- who lives in tennesee

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ram in Brooklyn, New York

40 months ago

Just go for it.
I am still in school for AAS degree in civil engineering and I have a position as an engineer and im making around 55-60k a year Plus I get around 15k a year doing side job. But you will have to work your way up. Get certified as you get your degree. such as ACI, NICET, ICC. The more certs the more chances of getting hired trust me. And learn AutoCAD....Very Important in Engineering world.....GOOD LUCK....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SUEE VALDEZ in Matamoros, Mexico

40 months ago

I REALLY DONT KNOW HOW THIS WEB PAGE WORKS BUT I SEE THA ALL OF YOU ARE ENGINEERS SO IM ASKING FOR YOUR HELP ,,, AND THANK YOUU

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lisa from March Consulting Assoc. in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

39 months ago

Come to Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada.
It's a beautiful city to live and work in! And we are looking for engineers.
Everyone here has a job so there are no unemployed people to hire from!!!
That's how good it is. Saskatchewan is rich in natural resources and we are experiencing growth.

Check out our web-site: www.marchconsulting.com
Check out our city at: www.tourismsaskatoon.com

contact me at: hr@marchconsulting.com

Hope to hear from any of you looking for work!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nick L in Medford, Massachusetts

38 months ago

Civil Engineer in Houston, Texas said: Marcie-

Respectfully, you're wrong. Technically, to be considered a "Civil Engineer", you are required to take and pass the P.E. exam- to qualify for this exam, you are REQUIRED to have a bachelors degree (AND work experience). (Before this, your title is "Engineer in Training" -"EIT")

With an associates degree in Civil Engineering, you can perhaps obtain employment as a Civil Engineering Technician, or a Drafter. Both could be good career choices if that is what you are looking for(The drafter in my department has been there 10 years and makes $70K).
But if you're looking for any design or management positions OR if you're looking for the title of "Civil Engineer", a bachelors is the absolute minimum of what you will need. (And most companies now prefer a Master's degree).

It definitely DOES matter 2 year vs. 4 year- in the field of Civil Engineering, experience means nothing without the proper education.

And how exactly do you get that Experience (as a technician) with just an associates degree?? Again, its nice to talk about these in demand fields but there have been so many stories about people who go back to school who are older (say older than 30) and find they can't get an interview let alone a job for anything in the field and it isn't because 'they aren't willing to start at the bottom'

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Panama City, Florida

36 months ago

A NICET/ACI certified technician or drafter with the right skill set will always be in demand as long as people are building and/or maintaining infrastructure.

Not everyone wants to become CEO/senior executive of a construction/engineering company or start their own business-there's nothing wrong with choosing your career path.

You might make more money with a PE license and a BSCE/MSCE/MBA, but money's not everything-do what makes you happy.

I've had in-laws who chose a degree (medical career field) based upon family pressure to make more money, and they ended up with a job where they didn't want to wake up in the morning. They quit that job after 2 years, and now regret not choosing their own career path.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tammy in Lincoln, California

31 months ago

Is there a difference in getting a Civil Engineering Associate Degree versus a Civil Engineering Technology Associate Degree? Will I be able to get a Civil Engineering Technician career with Civil Engineering Associate Degree or is the CE Technology Associate Degree more valuable? Thank you for any advice you can give me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Carmen Reyes in Tulsa, Oklahoma

30 months ago

I am currently looking to go back to school and am very interested in the Bs Civil Engineering program at my local Community College .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

AMiami in Miami, Florida

28 months ago

Carmen: Look into this, check with the workforce at OKLAHOMA, to see if the are paying you to go back to school, they are paying Civil Engeneering here in FL

www.workforce-ok.com/youth.html

check the training program called WIA on your area.. see the map
www.careeronestop.org/WiaProviderSearch.asp

Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Agent Dale Cooper in Richmond, Virginia

27 months ago

For site/land development/general civil engineering:

An AS or AAS will earn your a job as a drafter or CADD Tech at many private consulting companies. You may be expected to double as a designer/engineer. Drafters are expected to be workhorses at times. $35-65k (through career) Richmond Dollars. Do the conversion here:

www.bankrate.com/calculators/savings/moving-cost-of-living-calculator.aspx

A BS or BS with EIT license will earn you a job as an "engineer" (though not a "professional engineer"). An engineer will do a mix of design/engineering and drafting. You will interface with clients and senior managers often and and may have some supervision over drafters or junior engineers. $50-90k (through career) Richmond $$$.

A BS with PE license will track you for senior design, project manager, senior project manager, and managerial titles. $80k - 100+.

A master's is nice, though not necessary. A master's in engineering tracks well for senior design roles, though not necessarily management or business roles.

My recommendation is to finish an AS in engineering and then see how you feel about 2 to 2 1/2 more years of school, if there is an ABET-accredited 4-year civil engineering college in your area and your personal life allows that extra time. I just don't think the extra 2 years or so is a big deal if you consider your probable 70-80 year life span. The extra earnings may be worth it to you. The BS, to me, offers the most opportunity. An MS is overkill for most people (unless you're talking a field like structural engineering, where it is more important).

Engineering school is a 30-45 hr week job that prepares you well work. If you can finish the math, science, and mechanics courses at community college, the 4-year work come pretty easy, honestly.

Best of luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Agent Dale Cooper in Richmond, Virginia

27 months ago

Also, spending time in community college and transferring to a 4-year school will save you BIG $$$. Tuition is getting out of control ($6 - 20k/semester, depending) and student loan rates are high (4-8% FEDERAL loans). Most state community colleges are fairly cheap but be sure to check. Keeping your debt manageable is important.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

MarvinH in Chicago, Illinois

15 months ago

Dom in Endicott, New York said: I am currently looking to go back to school and am very interested in the AAS Civil Engineering program at my local Community College . The program is designed for 2 years and then into the workforce. What jobs are availible through this program with this degree? Any comments or suggestions about this career move would be appreciated.

The site & article below have a lot of good information about Civil Engineering jobs. The article below is a "day in the life" of a civil engineer. Besides that this company also helps get civil engineers jobs. My friend just graduated from UCLA and used these guys to get a job.
www.jobunlocker.com/blog/a-day-in-the-life-of-a-civil-engineer/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

isonthejazz in Independence, Missouri

12 months ago

There are currently 34 states that allow a Civil Engineering technician to obtain a P.E. licence. I would however recommend going to an ABET accredited school. A Bachelors in Construction/civil Technology from an ABET accredited school should open up several career opportunities. Cost-estimators, field engineers, project managers, land surveyors, BIM/drafting engineers, superintendent, facilities managers, and lab techs are just a few that spring to mind. A Civil Engineering degree however, can qualify you for some of these same jobs but must work in design. If field work is what your mostly interested in, a technology degree would be a good start. Just work in a co-op and maintain a good GPA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

isonthejazz in Independence, Missouri

12 months ago

*Most* not must.

Indie_One in Wichita, Kansas

12 months ago

Dom in Endicott, New York said: I am currently looking to go back to school and am very interested in the AAS Civil Engineering program at my local Community College . The program is designed for 2 years and then into the workforce. What jobs are availible through this program with this degree? Any comments or suggestions about this career move would be appreciated.

You'd be doing drafting. Or you might be working on a survey crew (usually 2-man crew) or doing construction inspection (water, sewer, etc.) I was a draftsman for several years in this field. I got laid off nearly three years ago. I've been trying to get back in. I haven't had any luck. A lot firms just aren't hiring at this point. Who knows two years from now? Other firms are using drafters on a temp/contract basis for oil and gas projects (oil and gas companies - oil wells, pipelines, access roads, etc.). You might be lucky, or not, to get hired and move across country for a firm doing work on oil and gas projects. From what I've found out so far, the pay isn't that great. If you do get hired, you might be living in a small town where real estate is through the roof. Good luck finding a place to live. Once the contract is up, you might be stuck and/or deeper in debt. The economy is still in bad shape and so is the entire construction industry. There are some firms hiring. Good luck getting past that first interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

12 months ago

Civil Engineer in Houston, Texas said: Marcie-

Respectfully, you're wrong. Technically, to be considered a " Civil Engineer ", you are required to take and pass the P.E. exam- to qualify for this exam, you are REQUIRED to have a bachelors degree (AND work experience). (Before this, your title is " Engineer in Training" -"EIT")

With an associates degree in Civil Engineering , you can perhaps obtain employment as a Civil Engineering Technician , or a Drafter . Both could be good career choices if that is what you are looking for(The drafter in my department has been there 10 years and makes $70K).

It definitely DOES matter 2 year vs. 4 year- in the field of Civil Engineering , experience means nothing without the proper education .

$70K? He must have more than a two-year degree and he must have other skills beyond straight civil. $70K is an engineer's pay. Petroleum industry? Mechanical design/3D modeling? Process piping?

12 months ago

Marcie in Fargo, North Dakota said: This is really not true. I teach computer networking at a 2 year college and our civil students are in the most demand. Should you go on to more college, probably, but they do make 40k plus in their first job. What brings the money is experience and it doesn't matter if you have a 4 year or 2 year. You need to earn your stripes. That's my 2 cents.

In the most demand? Really? The picture I'm getting is a school trying to cash in. The other picture I'm getting is cheap labor.

Wayne in Petaluma, California

9 months ago

From California, I think it might also be worth noting that the position of civil engineering technician comes in 3 tiers, not sure if that would be the correct word, but there is levels to that position. Around here I've heard of some tech III's, making around 80-85k. But its Cali, they might just pay more here, full blown PE, with BS earn 100k+. But Many people here are right doing the 2 gear program opens your eyes to all the different type of categories you can go into within civil engineering, in my mind just saying civil engineeering is very broad and or vague there is so much to specialize in. I'm going to finish my AS in civil engineeering technology, already have an AS in Engineering, going to take the LSIT at the end of the year, and planning to earn a BS in civil engineeering in the next few years, from my experience there's a lot of branches of civil engineering you can go into. Plus you don't need a BS to sit in the PE, atleast not here, but it always puts you on a fast track. Yeah getting a BS earning your EIT, then your PE would be the most secure way of becoming a "Civil Engineer", but maybe we don't all want to be "Civil Engineers"; its up to you and to see if its within your circumstance. Some of us would be okay, just being techs.

Sage Hopkins in Chandler, Arizona

6 months ago

Nick in New York, New York said: 1. Under what circumstance you can call yourself an engineer is based on your state laws (usually, you are correct).
2. Generally, you are not required to have a bachelor's degree to sit for the PE. Although, this is the fastest route. Without a bachelor's degree, you will require much more experience. Also, for clarity, "Engineer in Training" title is given after completion of the Fundamentals of Engineering examination (this is also a prerequisite of sitting for the PE exam.)
3. With an associates degree, you can eventually become a PE...at least in New York. I believe other states to have similar rules. Likely, you would start out as a Civil Engineering Technician or a Drafter, but this does not have to be the end of the road.
4. 2 year vs 4 year vs graduate degree does matter. If you invest more heavily in your education, it usually will be reflected in your lifetime wages. However, to say experience means nothing without proper education is foolish.

This is a good response. Some people like to give one size fits all answers, but your experience and needs should ultimately dictate your educational route. 2 Year degrees are cool because they CAN get you a job and you WILL be better off for having one. You will also be less broke, and your job as a tech could possibly help you pay for a few more years of school.

Sage Hopkins in Chandler, Arizona

6 months ago

Agent Dale Cooper in Richmond, Virginia said: Also, spending time in community college and transferring to a 4-year school will save you BIG $$$. Tuition is getting out of control ($6 - 20k/semester, depending) and student loan rates are high (4-8% FEDERAL loans). Most state community colleges are fairly cheap but be sure to check. Keeping your debt manageable is important.

Exactly. I live in the Phoenix, AZ area and I am taking this route. Why should I pay over $1000 for a calculus class at ASU when the community colleges have the same class for a third of the price and often even have the same professors, who work at both colleges? If you look at MIT's free courses that have actual lectures from the school, for example, and then go take that same class at a community college, you will notice that there is no difference.

These bigger, more expensive schools may have more resources outside of class available to you, but they hardly have a monopoly on knowledge, and if you take ownership of your own education, you can be just as competent as anybody else. Degrees are just a marketing tool that get your foot in the door at the end of the day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.