CNA become a LVN in California

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 664)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Nicko in Covington, Georgia

85 months ago

Hey guys did you know that if Persons with 51 months equivalent experience (51 months in an acute care facility), and a 54 hour pharmacology course may be eligible to take the LVN board exam. This course is designed to meet the 54 hour pharmacology requirement for eligibility.

But you need to take a Pharmacology Course. I took this one and did well learnga.com/Pharmacology.aspx

Now I'm thinking of taking a bridge program to RN.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (133) / No (28) Reply - Report abuse

jackie wahl in Los Angeles, California

85 months ago

I graduated from a cna class in 2005 and continued with online classes which I thought was for my nursing. I receied my Associates of Arts degree in June of this year. I don't know if it was for nursing though because it said for healthcare administration, now I have been asked by the University of Phoenix if I want to continue for my Bachlor's Degree in healthcare. If I have been working as a healthcare provider doing In Home Care since 2004, would I still need to take these classes for my Bachlor's or can I just take a pharmacology course. Please respond to my comment because if I can just take this course instead of having to go to school for 2 more years it would be more beneficial for me because I feel that I am not getting anywhere. I enjoy the work I do but the pay is bad, only 9.00 an hour and I need more then that plus I would love to work in a hospital. Please get back to me as soon as you can I would really appreciate it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (61) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

scorpio7 in Los Angeles, California

85 months ago

I just posted a comment about doing the pharmacology course above. I just registered as a new user but I would love to have someone comment back to me.
Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Cleveland, Tennessee

82 months ago

I live in Tennessee and have been a CNA for seven years now and considering LPN or RN having a hard time trying to decide which one to do. However just recently thought about moving to North Carolina with family and more money but was wondering does my licenses transfer over or do I have to retake the test?
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

nita in Concord, California

81 months ago

anna c in Sacramento, California said: Hi,
i'm glad that more CNA's are opting to challenge the LVN board--- this is an excellent way to save time and money and getting credit for your experience. CNA's should check the LVN website for more information regarding this option. Even if you don't live in California you may find it to be an advantage www.bvnpt.ca.gov/method3.htm
not only would you get an LVN after your name but many schools will give you credit and you could finish the RN twice as fast in some cases.
Here's another option for the pharmacology course is www.mededprn.tripod.com
Hope this helps,
Good Luck!
Anna RN, NP

i did not fiend your web site www.bvnpt.ca.gov/method3.htm
dont why

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

i also tried those websites and could not find them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

anna c in Sacramento, California

81 months ago

not sure why its not linking... google: California LVN and you'll get to the California VN official website, under method 3 you'll find a list of pharmacology course providers and i'm listed under Anna Corona--it should link you to my website if you click on my name, you can also email me at mededprn@gmail.com. good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

If you go directly to the board's website it will tell you the 'type of experience' you need, I do know of MA's who have been able to sit for the board depending on your duties etc..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Anna in Sacramento, California

81 months ago

I just wanted to advise anyone interested in challenging the board to call the BOARD of your state DIRECTLY for specific questions/information. Although many of us can talk to you about the courses/ general requirements frankly only the board has no vested interest. When you call the board/get info online there will be a list of approved providers--feel free to call several and compare the different prices and programs offered. Just wanted to add my two cents.
Anna C.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

lady_maverick in Murrieta, California

81 months ago

Great comment Anna, and that's what I tell every caller I get inquiring about our program, I advice them that it is only the Board of Vocational Nurses(BVNPT), who can determine their eligibility to sit for the exam after the boards evaluation of their application. After I posted my comment the first time I had a call from Florida and I told her to make a call to their Nursing Board and seek advice with her intent on getting into our program here in California and challenge the Ca. BVNPT since method 3 is offered just in California. By the way how many applicant's do you have as of yet and has anyone of them had challenged the board and got licensed? Looking forward to read more comments from you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

Chris in Cleveland, Tennessee said: I live in Tennessee and have been a CNA for seven years now and considering LPN or RN having a hard time trying to decide which one to do. However just recently thought about moving to North Carolina with family and more money but was wondering does my licenses transfer over or do I have to retake the test?
Thanks

Hi Chris I suggest you call the Nursing board of the State where you plan on moving in since every State has different policy, laws etc.. Ask questions and write those questions down before calling so you can address it with them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

scorpio7 in Los Angeles, California said: i also tried those websites and could not find them.

Hi Scorpio7, there are schools that offer Pharmacology lots of them but one thing you should ask them is how many units are you gonna be getting from those classes because the board (BVNPT) requires a 54 theory hours of Pharmacology in addtion to your 5 years of nursing work experience, when applying thru Method 3. Hope this will help you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

memphistenn in Memphis, Tennessee

81 months ago

Well, I got through 90% of my BSN program, only needing one more semester to graduate, I did really bad on my final and it kicked me out of the program. I was wondering if I could travel to California and challenge the board for lpn license, because they don't do it here in Tennessee.
Thanks,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

Hello memphistenn, I do not know how to address you if your a Ms. or Mr. anyway yes you can come to Califronia apply for the Method 3 exam thru equivalency since Method 3 is based on expereince and/or equivalency. Having the equivalent education Plus 54-theory hours of Pharmacology which is the Board of Vocational Nursing and Phsychiatric Technicians(BVNPT)requirement I think you are qualified. You mentioned you got thru 90% with the program just make sure you have 54-theory hours of Pharmacology. And another thing you have to do is check with your Nursing Board if you can convert the LVN License to LPN because it is only in California we have LVN's and LPN's in other state. I heared in Florida they can convert LVN to LPN. Anyway for you to understand completely what Method 3 is log on to the boards website www.bvnpt.ca.gov click on applicants then to Method 3 it will tell you everything about the program. If you wish to chat with me the number is 951-5994068, Hope I make sense.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kim in Bakersfield, California

80 months ago

I really do thank all of you for your information. It really ansewered all my question. I have been a CNA for 12yrs and something told me to just hold on to my certificate. When i started to advanced my career more. I've recieved my Phlebotomist, E.K.G Tech and Medical Assistant certificates. But i really didnt want to go to school for 2 more years for LVN. But i didnt know what to do. It did not seem like no one would know easy way to become a LVN. I have all those certificates and only get payed $10.00hr as a supervisor to pass medication. Nicko and Anna and the others for the support. I thank Nicko and Anna and others for the support. You have lifted my spirit. Im only 34 years old and i have two children of my own. And im raising my deceased sister two children and i know that the pay i make is not enough. But i found this website and now i know what to do. God bless all of you. Once again thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Kim,
I'm glad you're on your way to getting closer to reaching your goals! just remember one word: PERSEVERANCE.
I know how you feel, I was ecstatic when many years ago someone told me about 'alternative' ways to get closer to my goal. I have found that every subsequent goal becomes that much easier to reach--whenever you feel 'there's gotta be an easier/other way to do this..' there usually is, perseverance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lady_Maverick in San Diego, California

80 months ago

Kim in Bakersfield, California said: I really do thank all of you for your information. It really ansewered all my question. I have been a CNA for 12yrs and something told me to just hold on to my certificate. When i started to advanced my career more. I've recieved my Phlebotomist, E.K.G Tech and Medical Assistant certificates. But i really didnt want to go to school for 2 more years for LVN. But i didnt know what to do. It did not seem like no one would know easy way to become a LVN. I have all those certificates and only get payed $10.00hr as a supervisor to pass medication. Nicko and Anna and the others for the support. I thank Nicko and Anna and others for the support. You have lifted my spirit. Im only 34 years old and i have two children of my own. And im raising my deceased sister two children and i know that the pay i make is not enough. But i found this website and now i know what to do. God bless all of you. Once again thank you.

Goodluck Kim and more power to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

smilingeyes in Denver, Colorado

80 months ago

Could u please tell me is anyone eligible? how can I find out more about it? Let me know -- thanks

80 months ago

smilingeyes in Denver, Colorado said: Could u please tell me is anyone eligible? how can I find out more about it? Let me know -- thanks

I am speaking about the LVN course in Cali? If u have anymore info. let me know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Hello smilingeyes in Denver, I have a Professor friend that teaches at the U of Colorado, anyway you may call me @ the following numbers if you need more info about the LVN in California, 951-5994068 0r
619-5079126 hear from you soon.

david mulready in Arcadia, California

80 months ago

Hi, I myself have been a CNA for nearly eight years now! I got my education through R.O.P. in 2000 and since working in two hospitals and nearly four or more nursing homes. I looked up one community college course and it stated that I needed to take a course, pass and pass that course to even qualify for the LVN program itself! My question, is it more fessible to go that route or to Challenge the Board and if it is option#2, then what do I need to do to make this happen, costs involved and possible time frame to avoid headches, etc. Could use all the help and experience I could get, I am also a father of an 8 year old daughter now, plus married, so I need to give up, thanks!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

anna in Sacramento, California

80 months ago

Challenging the board is the absolute best route in my opinion (if you qualify)to get the LVN. You are getting credit for your experience, by verifying your experience and taking ONE course (pharmacology course) you are sitting for the board--you can't beat that. In my opinion going back to school for an LVN when you have this alternative is not a good idea for the time and money spent.
I teach the pharmacology course and have had many students go this route not a single one has regretted it/come back and said 'wish i had spent the time and money doing it a different way'...
again--questions regarding specifics need to be addressed to the board directly, you will find their web site very informative and the requirements are spelled out...

(ok, shameless plug:) you can contact me at 916 317 9969 if you need information about the pharmacology course i offer-- which is valid in any state for qualifying for the california LVN
good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

leanne in Manchester, United Kingdom

80 months ago

Hay i have read all your comments they are very intresting.
I wonder if any of you could help me ,i am curently working as a nursing assistant in a hospital in manchester england a nursung assistant is just the same as a cna but we dont reconize it as a qualification.
I would really like to do the same job as i am doing now in california but i am unsure how.could any one help me .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

patricia in Bakersfield, California

80 months ago

does working in pyschiatric hospital add up to experience needed in challenge the lvn. i work with both adult and children. please let me know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

scorpio7 in Compton, California

80 months ago

anna in Sacramento, California said: Challenging the board is the absolute best route in my opinion (if you qualify)to get the LVN. You are getting credit for your experience, by verifying your experience and taking ONE course (pharmacology course) you are sitting for the board--you can't beat that. In my opinion going back to school for an LVN when you have this alternative is not a good idea for the time and money spent. I teach the pharmacology course and have had many students go this route not a single one has regretted it/come back and said 'wish i had spent the time and money doing it a different way'... again--questions regarding specifics need to be addressed to the board directly, you will find their web site very informative and the requirements are spelled out...(ok, shameless plug:) you can contact me at 916 317 9969 if you need information about the pharmacology course i offer-- which is valid in any state for qualifying for the california LVN good luck!
Dear Anna,I read this reply you made to this person and I just wanted to know if you could give me some information. I believe I have all the qualifications for LVN, I have taken my prerequisites, got a Associat's of Arts Degree in Healthcare but I still need psychology, physiology, anatomy and pharmacology, plus I need to learn how to draw blood, give injections and insert cathaters. Knowing this would I still have to take a LVN course full time or would I be able to just take the classes I need on a part time basis because I have a little girl and need to work as I am a single parent since my husband passed away. Any help you can give me I would really appreciate.Thank you, Scorpio7 (Jackie)

80 months ago

Hi Jackie,
the ONLY class the board (of CA)requires if you meet the experience is pharmacology, A&P is not required; not knowing how to perform the procedures that you mentioned are would not stop me from applying if i qualified. The procedures can be 'practiced'/reviewed,(drawing blood is not required by the way) so much depends on the type of setting, where you work/background etc. Feel free to call me at the number listed,
anna

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Thank you, I just may be giving you a call.

maria in San Diego, California

80 months ago

patricia in Bakersfield, California said: does working in pyschiatric hospital add up to experience needed in challenge the lvn. i work with both adult and children. please let me know.

Yes, but I would suggest for you to call the board(BVNPT) if you need their website address email me, okay? or you may call me at 6195079126

80 months ago

angela in Stockton, California said: Does anyone know if A medical assistant can challenge the board?

It depends on what setting is the Medical Office is but in any way no matter how long you have worked in a medical office the board will give you a credit of 6 to 8 months only. you may call me if you have any more questions @ 6195079126.

80 months ago

Challenging the LVN board requires a 5 years of nursing work experience in certain areas and work settings, you wanna know more about it, log-in to the boards website www.bvnpt.ca.gov or you may call me at 619-5079126.

80 months ago

anna c in Sacramento, California said: Hi Jackie,
the ONLY class the board (of CA)requires if you meet the experience is pharmacology, A&P is not required; not knowing how to perform the procedures that you mentioned are would not stop me from applying if i qualified. The procedures can be 'practiced'/reviewed,(drawing blood is not required by the way) so much depends on the type of setting, where you work/background etc. Feel free to call me at the number listed,
anna

Do EMT work for 10+ years do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

betscorpio1215 in Pittsburg, California

79 months ago

I have been working as a Medical Assist for about 10yrs now. I've worked in urgent care for 5 years, Minor surgery, plastic surgery and in the ER for 1.5 years. Do you think that will qualify me?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Alex Leiva in Los Angeles, California

79 months ago

anna c in Sacramento, California said: If you go directly to the board's website it will tell you the 'type of experience' you need, I do know of MA's who have been able to sit for the board depending on your duties etc..

Hi Anna my name is alex I am a Medical assistant I have been doing this for five years tell me what kind of experience they ask for because I would love to challenge the board. thank you very much and reply please.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

diallka1 in Sacramento, California

79 months ago

Hi. I also want to challenge the LVN board exam. I have taken ALL the prequisites(i was originally preparing for the RN program but it is hard to get into the program). However I am not a CNA but I have been working now for 4 years in assisted living. What do I need in order to qualify to take the LVN board exam?

Kim in Bakersfield, California

79 months ago

well i know that you would have to take a pharmacology coarse first. and its counting on what state u live in.

suzan dayal in Elk Grove, California

78 months ago

anna c in Sacramento, California said: Hi Jackie,
anna
Please send me your contact number so i can get more information LVNprogram.

78 months ago

my number is 916 317 9969, that is my number is for information regarding the pharmacology class required
Good Luck!
anna

78 months ago

suzan dayal in Elk Grove, California said: Please send me your contact number so i can get more information LVNprogram.

oops, I didn't link my response-- my number in 916 317 9969. I am one of several providers that offer the pharmacology course-- call several and compare to see what better fits your needs.

Make sure to link to the california board website for more info regarding qualifications.

Board of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians
2535 Capitol Oaks Drive
Suite 205
Sacramento, CA 95833
Phone: (916) 263-7800
Email: bvnpt@dca.ca.gov

www.bvnpt.ca.gov/Licensing/Method_3.asp#PHARM

this is the 'cut/paste' from their website....
Method 3: Qualification Based on Equivalent Education and/or Experience
Pursuant to the California Code of Regulations section 2516(b), the 51 months of paid bedside nursing experience must include a minimum of each of the following:

48 months medical/surgical nursing
5 weeks maternity or genitourinary nursing
5 weeks pediatric nursing

In addition to the required paid bedside nursing experience, the applicant must also have completed a pharmacology course of at least 54 theory hours that covers the following content:

Knowledge of commonly used drugs and their action
Computation of dosages
Preparation of medications
Principles of administration

good luck to all!--i hope this helps,
Anna Corona FNP

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

suzan dayal in Elk Grove, California

78 months ago

Hi Anna,
Please call me @916-718-9998 so i can meet you in person and discuss requirement class are for CNA can become LVN and chellenge State Board Test. Thank you
Regards,
Suzan Dayal

Laura Lines in Modesto, California

78 months ago

I have worked in cna field for eight years

Laura Lines in Modesto, California

78 months ago

I have worked in cna field for eight years ,but I havent worked since 2003, what do I need to do to become an lvn.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

carla in Little Rock, Arkansas

78 months ago

Do they offer the course in arkansas or texas or georgia

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jolita in Long Beach, California

78 months ago

I am so lucky to find this site that contains all the answers to all my questions.... complete, with matching step by step" how to " I greatly appreciate everybody who contribute to the informations ...God Bless your hearts....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Eloise in Compton, California in Downey, California

78 months ago

I am sooooooooo, Confused what's a girl to do. I recently graduated from Southwest college with the intent to get in there nursing program. After I finished all of my classes I was hit with some bad news. Because, I had all "C"'S in my sciences I was'nt able to get into there program,because you have to have a 2.5 in just your sciences alone. From what the counselor at the school showed me was that all of the schools in L.A. have that rule now as of "January 2007." Now I am stuck as a under paid C.N.A. This news devestated me. I recently went to an Orientation for an L.V.N. program, this program is really expensive. But I was told it was garanteed to start in and R.N. to BSN program as a second semester nursing student at Cal State Dominguez Hills, or Cal State L.A., because I have My A.A.degree. Plu sIam still taking my math classes so Ican get my B.A. OR B.S.I was going to major in Health Science/ Social Work. I don't know what you can do with a Health Science degree, so I am uncertain. I just want to make more money. In a way I want to take the deal but the program is so expensive, it is $23,000 yikes!. I will definitely have a job once I am done. I had even thought about changing my major. I always wanted to be a Social Worker. I just hope I am not rushing into something.

nephris in Palmdale, California

78 months ago

Nicko in Covington, Georgia said: Hey guys did you know that if Persons with 51 months equivalent experience (51 months in an acute care facility), and a 54 hour pharmacology course may be eligible to take the LVN board exam. This course is designed to meet the 54 hour pharmacology requirement for eligibility.

But you need to take a Pharmacology Course. I took this one and did well learnga.com/Pharmacology.aspx

hey how can i found out more about that program

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

nephris in Palmdale, California

78 months ago

Nicko in Covington, Georgia said: Hey guys did you know that if Persons with 51 months equivalent experience (51 months in an acute care facility), and a 54 hour pharmacology course may be eligible to take the LVN board exam. This course is designed to meet the 54 hour pharmacology requirement for eligibility.

i have been trying to call the number that they posed on the web page and the r all disscconected can u provide me with a number please tahnk you hun.. my # is 1661 526 5211

Brittany in Bakersfield, California

77 months ago

I received my CNA from R.O.P in 2003 I have not worked as one since or have worked in the heath care field..........I would like to start up again but, I need to know exactly what I need to continue my education?????? Please let me know if you know what I need to do. my e-mail is brittanypisar@att.net thank you

Hope Marie in Orange, California

76 months ago

HOW BOUT CMA TO LVN OR TO CHALLENGE THE BOARDS?

jowalay in Long Beach, California

76 months ago

First, I would like to thank this forum for helping a lot of people...I already had pharmacology 54 hours. I finish my 1st semester in RN program when I stopped. Now I would like to challenge LVN, and had 5 and 1/2 years working as CNA. My problem now is that my school where I took my RN program doesn't respond to my request for record of my number of theory hours of all the subjects I've taken..that is one of the requirements by the Board that I need to submit. I have send it by registered mail. no respond but they did received my request... I send a follow-up letter and registered it again... what shall I do if they still do not respond ?

EmilioB. in Los Angeles, California

76 months ago

I am a foreign medical graduate but now taking Associate Degree in Nursing program under a home study set-up. I will be taking a practical exam to complete my program. I passed and done with all the nursing subjects. However my problem is to hurdle the practical exam but have not been exposed to the acute care set-up. I was wondering if I could be a LVN first so to prepare myself for my practical exam. Would you know if foreign doctors from other countries can challenge the LVN licensure exam via "Method 3"? Any comments? Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.