Show me the money...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (23)

Host

What are typical construction worker salaries? Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Reply - Report abuse

bobbyv stoffel in Anderson, South Carolina

94 months ago

Host said: What are typical construction worker salaries? Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?
What skills should you learn to increase your salary?
more schooling in electrain

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Former Contractor in Burlington, New Jersey

94 months ago

Depends on where you are located. Out West block mason experience is very very valuable.

Framing is always a key trade that appears to be valuable all over the United States.

Sadly, finish carpenters are becoming a more rare and less needed with the increase in commercialization of homes, cabinets, etc...

Electrical and plumbing are good, but I am not as familiar with their wages since as a general contractor they are mostly used as subcontractors.

My vote would be to learn framing well, and be able to lead a crew and know how to read plans inside and out. If your out West, know masonry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jeff deese in Powder Springs, Georgia

93 months ago

I am able and willing to travel if there is a fair per dium included with a twenty-five dollar per hour job.
I have valide driver license, dependable transportation, all the carpentry tools needed to hand wood or metal framing, trim, sheet rock etc. I have thirty years experience in the construction business; twenty years as a contractor. I am 47 years old and still out work everybody. I am divorced and live alone so I work seven days per week whenever I can. LETS GO TO WORK!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jeff deese in Powder Springs, Georgia

93 months ago

Jeff Deese in Bowdon, Georgia said: I am able and willing to travel if there is a fair per dium included with a twenty-five dollar per hour job.
I have valid driver license, dependable transportation, all the carpentry tools needed to handle wood. or metal framing, trim, sheet rock etc. I have thirty years experience in the construction business; twenty years as a contractor. I am 47 years old and still out work everybody. I am divorced and live alone so I work seven days per week whenever I can. LETS GO TO WORK!!!

I AM IN BOWDON, GA. ( NOT POWDER SPRINGS,Ga.): on the Alabama line.

arthur in Kenner, Louisiana

90 months ago

I am 47 years old and just moved to louisianna. I am skilled with 16 years of experience at all forms of carpentry work from framing to finishing. I have a old police record dating back some 17 years and am finding it extremely difficult to find work here. I have a clean drivers license and have led an exemplery life working uninterupted for the same employer for 16 years. I would be an asset to any company. Why won't anyone give me a go!!!!! I am in Houma Louisianna and am willing to work 7 days a week.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Paslode in Atlantic City, New Jersey

90 months ago

Former Contractor in Burlington, New Jersey said: Depends on where you are located. Out West block mason experience is very very valuable.

Framing is always a key trade that appears to be valuable all over the United States.

Sadly, finish carpenters are becoming a more rare and less needed with the increase in commercialization of homes, cabinets, etc...

Electrical and plumbing are good, but I am not as familiar with their wages since as a general contractor they are mostly used as subcontractors.

My vote would be to learn framing well, and be able to lead a crew and know how to read plans inside and out. If your out West, know masonry.

My Family & I are looking to move to CO. I'm a carpenter. Is it hard to find a job? Do they pay well? I have over 15years experience and lots of tools.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

scott in Cincinnati, Ohio

87 months ago

Does anyone know the perdium wage for Indiana and the min wage? I have a business hat's growing rapidly and I have been through some employees and they have signed a contract with me upon being hired that if they up and quit without giving a 2 weeks notice they drop to min wage. I was informed that min wage was 5.15 an hour I now know that it is 5.75 an hour but not for sure. Can someone help me with this situation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mike sutherland in Medford, Oregon

83 months ago

I am a licenced framing contractor in Oregon. I'm a family man, drug free, responsible, reliable and all that. Home building here has slowed to a snails pace and I am looking to relocate, maybe to the New Orleans area. Can anyone help me with some info. THANK YOU!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

createpartney@aol.com in Missoula, Montana

82 months ago

arthur in Kenner, Louisiana said: I am 47 years old and just moved to louisianna. I am skilled with 16 years of experience at all forms of carpentry work from framing to finishing. I have a old police record dating back some 17 years and am finding it extremely difficult to find work here. I have a clean drivers license and have led an exemplery life working uninterupted for the same employer for 16 years. I would be an asset to any company. Why won't anyone give me a go!!!!! I am in Houma Louisianna and am willing to work 7 days a week.

If you can't find work in Louisiana after all the storm damage ,you need to find a different trade ! Or lower your expected wage . If you are as good as you say , you should have no problem getting work . Maybe you are expecting more $ than you are worth ,Not criticizing you , I'm serious !

82 months ago

Richard Larsen in Rock Springs, Wyoming said: I would like to make at least 15.00 per hour. I currently have about 4 years of experience.

15.00 hr. is pretty good wages for only about 4 yrs. experience ! You should be happy with that. I know guy's with 35 yrs. that don't make that ! !

82 months ago

timhicks insesser,il in Valier, Illinois said: i would like to make atleast 20.00 per hour i have 7 years experience in different types of construction.

I don't know how you young people with only 4,5,6,7, yrs experience can figure you're worth 20.00 an hr . I've been in this trade for 35 plus yrs. and that is more than I make and I know I know a heck of a lot more than you do . Better be happy with what you're getting . La's Vegas is suppose to be big bucks if you can handle the heat . I've talked with guy's taking home four grand a wk . but they are also putting in some hrs .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Pieball10000@yahoo.com in Titusville, Florida

81 months ago

Im a mason and tile setter with 15 yrs of experience. Newly laid off due to lack of work. Looking to relocate and/or travel for the job. Have all tools. Drug free, reliable transportation. E-mail me for references and resume at Pieball10000@yahoo.com

Mike sutherland in Williams, Oregon

74 months ago

Where are the carpentry hot spots in the U.S.I have tools exp and all that

Jeff in Walla Walla, Washington

73 months ago

createpartney@aol.com in Missoula, Montana said: 15.00 hr. is pretty good wages for only about 4 yrs. experience ! You should be happy with that. I know guy's with 35 yrs. that don't make that ! !

It's sad but true. I am in walla walla wash. and I have 25 years oof exp. from foundation to finish and roofing. And @ 16-20.00 an hr. I think that the wages around here are pathetic. I am a lic. gen. contractor but with all the pirates and cut-throats out here we cannot seem to get the prices for framing above 3.50 a foot.

To the Willing Carpenters in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina

73 months ago

I work in the charleston SC area and the wages for me started out at 12 per\hr with 10 years experience. That was after leaving a job in Michigan paying 25 per\hr. It took six months to get it up to 15 per\hr. I found that networking and meeting the right people at the right time is key in this area. There's a lot of money in this area and if you know the right people they will get you the right jobs that pay well. I'm a independant contractor with my own comp insurance and no license making $5000 a month working for GC's in the area. Even at a time when it seems like everything is drying up. Like I said you have to find the right people. We have the same cut-throats and under bidders, not including all the mexicans working for $10 per\hr. Most framing jobs around here go for 2.00 per\sq ft. Trim goes for 1.50 per\sq ft. That's is unless you cater to the rich. This economy hasn't done anything to those millionare's and they're willing to pay for the good work. Even after the GC's take their cut I can still come in at $6 to $7 per a sq ft. on most jobs which is unheard of in these times. My suggestion to everyone is promote yourself cus if your as experinced as you say you are the work will sell itself. Go to any and all builders, GC, anywhere you see work and tell them no is not an option. And yes some of them will tell you to f*** off but not all of them and if your persistant you will succeed even in these times...Good Luck.

keith in Longville, Louisiana

71 months ago

arthur in Kenner, Louisiana said: I am 47 years old and just moved to louisianna. I am skilled with 16 years of experience at all forms of carpentry work from framing to finishing. I have a old police record dating back some 17 years and am finding it extremely difficult to find work here. I have a clean drivers license and have led an exemplery life working uninterupted for the same employer for 16 years. I would be an asset to any company. Why won't anyone give me a go!!!!! I am in Houma Louisianna and am willing to work 7 days a week.

its the illegals putting you out of work i know i have bid 8 jobs lost every one to illegals.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jeff in Walla Walla, Washington

71 months ago

Exactly, And it is not worth the headache anymore! Thanks for the comeback.

Gayle in San Francisco, California

69 months ago

Is this Michael (from Santa Rosa?) It's Gayle! I've been trying to reach you...

Mike sutherland in Medford, Oregon said: I am a licenced framing contractor in Oregon. I'm a family man, drug free, responsible, reliable and all that. Home building here has slowed to a snails pace and I am looking to relocate, maybe to the New Orleans area. Can anyone help me with some info. THANK YOU!

Gayle in San Francisco, California

69 months ago

Wondering if this is Michael from Santa Rosa? This is Gayle...PLEASE reply if this is you...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jim in Sechelt, British Columbia

66 months ago

The hell are most of you talking about? 15-20 and hour is crap. I start my helpers off at that. If your a tradesman not making 25-40 and hour..you utterly suck at your job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mike Sutherland in Williams, Oregon

60 months ago

Gayle in San Francisco, California said: Wondering if this is Michael from Santa Rosa? This is Gayle...PLEASE reply if this is you...

Yes it is. Is this Razor Gayle

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gayle in San Mateo, California

60 months ago

Yes this is...Gayle from "Razor"...and "King Street"...I am so glad to hear from you. Please email me and let me know
how you are and where you are, etc. My email address is sweettalkband@hotmail.com
I hope Life has been good for you...Love, Gayle

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.