Women in construction

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

Kelly Bloom in Waterford, Michigan

84 months ago

I have been in construction for about 8 years. I Love It!!! Although I still find it difficult for some of the men to take me seriously.. On the other hand I have foreman fighting over who will have me on their crew. I work very hard and I love to learn new things. Any body have any advise on how I can advance myself in the construction field. (Roads, dirt, pipe, bore, brakewalls, etc...?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dell val in Riverside, California

83 months ago

i would love to get a job in this kind of field. Can you please guide me?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Kelly Bloom in Waterford, Michigan

83 months ago

sure when applying list everything from lawn mowers, weed wacker, to driving a stick shift. I got my cdl by going through a school its free an good training. Go apply for the job get a formens phone number and bug them till they hire you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

SILVIA in Tallahassee, Florida

82 months ago

I'VE BEEN WORKING IN CONSTRUCTION FOR 2 YEARS (HVAC). I ABSOLOUTLY LOVE IT & WOULD NEVER GO BACK WORKING INSIDE!! THERE WILL ALWAYS BE "MEN" OUT THERE THAT BELIEVE CONSTRUCTION WORK IS ONLY FOR MEN, BUT MORE & MORE COMPANYS ARE HIRING WOMEN!! TELL THEM TO GIVE YOU A CHANCE & SHOW THEM WHAT YOU CAN DO. I DIDN'T HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE WHEN I STARTED.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

lachuchadelbarrio singafree in New York, New York

82 months ago

dell val in Riverside, California said: i would love to get a job in this kind of field. Can you please guide me?

yes my only problem is that i need more money, 70 a year would be great for me,
now i'm making less than 40 an hour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

2satly in Murrieta, California

50 months ago

lachuchadelbarrio singafree in New York, New York said: yes my only problem is that i need more money, 70 a year would be great for me,
now i'm making less than 40 an hour.

How is work in NYC? Looking for work in the Painting specializing in Wood Finishing. Any Suggestions, is it worth moving there?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

2satly in Murrieta, California

50 months ago

Painting contractor for over 30ys, I specialize in Wood Finishing looking to relocate to Minnesota or NYC, how are jobs in those two areas

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jojo in Forest Hills, New York

41 months ago

2satly in Murrieta, California said: How is work in NYC? Looking for work in the Painting specializing in Wood Finishing. Any Suggestions, is it worth moving there?

I dont see anything open for painting contractors but the union is open for the carpentry until july 22 if interested.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Benjamin Turpin in Philippines

31 months ago

Just simply knowing that you've been in the industry for 8 long years is already something Kelly. In spite of women's day-to-day struggles and facing bias and gender issues, i admire your chosen career. The next time you apply for a job, highlight skills which most women possess such as excellence in communication, careful for details, neat and meticulous jobs etc. This way, you don't only prove your physical ability to do constructions but you also guarantee them your attention to every detail of the job. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Char in Decatur, Alabama

3 months ago

Kelly,

With every job posting, I hope to see qualified women candidates. Where I work, we make a effort to get our open positions to women who are working in construction or want to work in construction. But its difficult, I'm trying to understand where do women in construction look for work/or women who want to work in construction? I'm not a pure recruiter, but recruiting is part of my current duties, I am curious where can I find women want to work in a skilled trade job (aka no-degree-required job)?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.