Show me the money...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 265)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Host

What are typical corrections officer salaries? Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Reply - Report abuse

mindy in Reston, Virginia

96 months ago

Hello. I work at Franklin county. My 8 yr anniversary will be here in a couple weeks and my pay will be up to 13.78.... which isn't too bad......i hope:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

me in Rio Grande, New Jersey

81 months ago

in nj we are 73k but with overtime 85+ and the contract is up so it will go up to 83 without ot sgt will be 94k lt. 105k

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

ashley in Melbourne, Florida

80 months ago

here in melbourne florida, working for brevard county sheriffs office, we made 13 an hour during the 3.5 months of training. now working....and it is 17.50 an hr. which is around 37 a yr, i figured if we do an extra day on each pay period overtime, it jumps to around 44 a yr. not bad, really.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Me in Toms River, New Jersey

78 months ago

I make 85k a year. not in top step yet and still hav 2 longevity pays to get to.
life is sweet i love my job, and my money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Dejaden in New York, New York

78 months ago

Joe in Belleville, New Jersey said: Just got the call for county corrections in nj Essex county Whats the starting salary is it lower than state corrections?

I'm getting ready to respond to State and let them know I am ready. What's bad about state is training is 14 weeks and u r on site for the week and go home on the weekends. The worst part is I am a mom of 3. County training is in Cedar Grove and you can go home daily.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Eric Ingram in Janesville, Wisconsin

76 months ago

Host said: What are typical corrections officer salaries? Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

Will my chances of being a correctional officer greaten if I am in college for my criminal justice degree?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (61) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

jdog in Cary, North Carolina

75 months ago

Moving to Ft. Mill,SC any advice on a good area to rent hse/apt.? What is the salary for corrections state/county in the area?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Jose in Hialeah, Florida

75 months ago

I work for the state of florida, and is true what Nick said. There is no professionalism or honor in working for the state of Florida. our district leader mrs. "V" don't really give a crap. we are just a number to them, thats the reason everyone is going to the Feds or the County. Is more money. that is what matters...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Gemini 1 in Atlanta, Georgia

75 months ago

Host said: What are typical corrections officer salaries? Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

I requested to attend any/all available traing to enhance my skills and to increase my rate of pay. The benefits are the greatest.

I work at a level IV mental health facility here for the State of Georgia and in my 2nd year.. I make $14.00 an hour.
The issue I have is that the state pays less tahn the county down South.

But take advantage of all the training they provide... Think anout it... It's free and at your disposal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Curt in Altoona, Pennsylvania said: In PA your first year is 29,800, following year increases to 32,400 with rapid increases from there. Starting hourly wage is about $14.50 for 6-2 shift, $15.50 for 2-10 shift, and $15.40 for 10-6 shift. Some ppl here are getting between 800-1200 hrs of overtime and we all get walk time which is the time it takes you to get to the clock if your not relieved asap. It all adds up!

Are they still hiring there. I am originally from Pittsburgh. I can't even transfer here they stay on hiring freeze so much. We work 6 on 3 off and you spend 4-5 of the 6 days doing overtime!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

me in Rio Grande, New Jersey said: in nj we are 73k but with overtime 85+ and the contract is up so it will go up to 83 without ot sgt will be 94k lt. 105k

Time for me to relocate!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Van Mance in Andrews Air Force Base, Maryland

73 months ago

Sir/Ma'am(s)

I'm a federal agent with the Air Force Office of Special Investigations, and I'm also a Grad Student at Bowling Green State University. Our current studies are on correctional officers and and some of the difficulties of being a CO. Reading the posts above have given me, a better understanding to some of your problems, thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Dejaden in Belleville, New Jersey

73 months ago

I deferred state and just found out that I am no longer certified for State Corrections. Now County Corrections has me certified, is their any way I can get back on the list for State. State corrections pay mor and have better opportunites than County corrections. Can someone in NJ advise?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Dejaden in Belleville, New Jersey

73 months ago

Joe in Belleville, New Jersey said: Just got the call for county corrections in nj Essex county Whats the starting salary is it lower than state corrections?

Joe, how is county? I just got the call for Essex County Corrections.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

tari winston in Cleveland, Ohio

73 months ago

McGarret in Hilo, Hawaii said: I am a corrections officer in Hawaii, only the state has corrections officers here, I make 50k and change a year, but some overtime hounds make much more. 21 sick and vacation days a year, and a crappy retirement plan.Been doinging it for 12 years now. We have no longievity steps now, and that hurts. California sounds really good. We were in the cop union, but the members decided to go to the hospital union. Bad move. Anyway, its OK for a job that does not require a degree.

hi, i have been going to college online for criminal justice and I am now taking corrections courses, I would love to start working now and continue my schooling, I am 44yrs old and pretty physically fit, any advice for me?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Regina Smith, New York

73 months ago

Dejaden in New York, New York said: I'm getting ready to respond to State and let them know I am ready. What's bad about state is training is 14 weeks and u r on site for the week and go home on the weekends. The worst part is I am a mom of 3. County training is in Cedar Grove and you can go home daily.

I would like to know if starting out as a new correction for new york state will I have go to upstate for 14 week training?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Regina Smith, New York

73 months ago

Also I would like to know what shifts are avaiable within the new york state correction facility? I would also like to know if I will be able to choose my work shift and days off? After one passess probation what is the average starting salary for new york state co?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

S.A. in San Jose, California

73 months ago

IN San Jose the starting rate just went up for new recruits. $30+ an hour...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JOE in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

73 months ago

JUST WENT TROUGH THE PROCESS HERE IN PENNSYLVANIA FOR CORRECTIONS OFFICER AND IT TOOK ME ABOUT ONE MONTH FROM TIME OF INITIAL CONTACT UNTIL COMPLETION OF ALL TESTS ( ORAL BOARD, MEDICAL, PHYSICAL AGILITY, AND PSYCH. ) DID NOT RECEIVE MY TRAINING START DATE YET. JUST WANDERING EXACTLY WHAT THE PAY PROGRESSION IS?????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Gemini21 in Atlanta, Georgia

73 months ago

I am originally from Pittsburgh and worked at the Allegheny County Jail... the pay progression there was slow paced. You have to really put in some time before you start to actually see some descent money. The turnover rate was ridiculous... always keep your options open for advancement PLEASE!!! Several of us became laid off and found work down in the southern states. If you will be working at the fed penn there on Northside then you may "fair" better. Good luck *S*

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

YES MY PROCESS IS FOR THE PENNSYLVANIA DEPT. OF CORRECTIONS ( STATE LEVEL ) THANKS FOR THE INFO.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

That's excellent.. you'll be fine!!! Please let me know how it goes. Keep in good physical and mental health... it can and may "wear" you down. There are no weight requirements here!! I am the smallest one at my facility!! Be safe!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Regina Smith, New York

72 months ago

Me in Toms River, New Jersey said: I make 85k a year. not in top step yet and still hav 2 longevity pays to get to.
life is sweet i love my job, and my money.

Do you work for the state corrections? Also I would like to know if the job is very stressful?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

THANKS ALOT WILL DO, THEY JUST CALLED ME AND SAID MY START DATE FOR THE ACADEMY IS OCTOBER 20th. GOOD LUCK.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Starting the academy on 20 october. ( PA Dept. of Corrections )

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Makeda in Newark, New Jersey

72 months ago

I actually start @ County on the 13th.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Regina Smith, New York said: Do you work for the state corrections? Also I would like to know if the job is very stressful?

Corrections can be stressful, you just have to try to kep a "sound" mind... it helps to leave any and all personal problems at home!! You can get hurt or get someone else hurt bringing the outside world in the atmosphere you are working in.

I work at a Level IV mental health prison and it is beyond streesful... I have learned to deal with it for the most part. I changed quite a few things in my life... trust me!It helps

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

JOE in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: Starting the academy on 20 october. ( PA Dept. of Corrections )

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I am attending yearly pre-service classes here. Take advantage of any training!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Regina Smith, New York

72 months ago

Regina Smith, New York said: Do you work for the state corrections? Also I would like to know if the job is very stressful?

Are correction officers offered a lot of overtime pay? Also, how long did it take for you to start making $85,000 per year. Is this pay salary the same at New York State Correction?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

13TH IS GOOD, GOOD LUCK.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

13th is great. Found out yesterday at Medical that they fired 15 people who did not pass the training for county. Thats just great to hear.....lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Ekko1 in Los Angeles, California

72 months ago

S.A. in San Jose, California said: IN San Jose the starting rate just went up for new recruits. $30+ an hour...

That's base pay in San Jose? Thats pretty dammn good

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

GOOD LUCK

Tommy in Wetumpka, Alabama

72 months ago

I have taken the State Of Alabama Correctional Examination on September 22,2008 recieved my results back on October 3,2008 I scored within Band 1.. Which everyone should stride for when taken the written exam. On October 3,2008 I took the Physical Agility Test which consisted of 1.5 mile run in 15.28 sec, 22 Push-Up In 90 seconds & 25 sit-up in 90 seconds if you pass them you go on and take the drug screen,background,medical & finger printing all in the same day. 12 week training pay is $28,000 and after academy salary range from $29,800 to $41,000 There is lot of room for advancement and I'm going to take advantage of whatever training is offered cause I'm seeking to be in the Training Division or Probation Officer

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Regina Smith, New York

72 months ago

Is it true that there is a hiring freeze for new york state corrections?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

joe in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

72 months ago

there is in pennsylvania.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

dpc82 in newark, New Jersey

72 months ago

i am under the investigations for essex county corrections nj and the original start date was supposed to be oct 13th does anybody know the new start date?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

I am currently in the same process as you and one of my friends (Sgt. status)told me that they will contact us shortly. Allegedly they had to recruit more people due to majority of them failed medical.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

oh thats crazy was he able to let you know your status?

72 months ago

they came to my house this past friday which is a good sign i guess, i took the pysc about 2weeks ago do you think they received the results of that already?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

they stopped by my house this past friday so i guess thats a good sign, do you know if they received the results to the pysc from 2 weeks ago that they administered

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dejaden in Newark, New Jersey

72 months ago

I assume that you passed the Psyc if they are investigating you...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

how soon do you think its going to happen?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

That answer I cannot give you because I don't know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

dpc82

72 months ago

thats cool thanks if you hear anything do you think you could keep me posted?

72 months ago

Sure, if I hear anything I will update the forum. Did Newark police call you? I am assuming you live in Neark, if not I do apologize.

dpc82

72 months ago

newark called me in december but from what i understand the class started in august. currently i'm still waiting for a letter from njdop why i didnt make the class. did they call you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

State called me first last year but was just found out that my request to defer was no accepted. So I will take the test again for that. Then Newark called me I responded but threw the application in the garbage....lol. Then county and we know where we are with that one. Anyhoo, My CO friend told me to apply for Special Police and to re-notify Newark PD of intrest. So I am waiting to hear back from anyone at this point. I didn't want to put all my eggs in one basket.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

dpc82

72 months ago

were we at the same orientation?

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.