NY Correctional Academy

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 23288)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

still waiting in Rochester, New York

58 months ago

i know for a fact now the acadamy is running a class on march 28th.
guy i took test with got his call friday to go to the acadamy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (36) Reply - Report abuse

probe7899 in West Islip, New York

58 months ago

What kind of questions because I am surpose report to a nurse there? What do you mean dress up(Business attire)?

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

probe7899 in West Islip, New York

58 months ago

Victor:
What kind of questions do they ask and what else do they do since they told me to ask for nurse jane? Did you go through this for NYC as well?
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Ali in Brooklyn, New York

57 months ago

Probe7899 in West Islip, New York said: I'm not sure I was under medical review for a year finally received clearance now there not hiring I still need to be re-assigned an investigator. I took my written and oral already but I think they expiring soon. What exam are you? I am 6024.

I am 6024. I am also redoing everything and my medical is on the 26th. feel like im going for a ride.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Victor Manuel in West Haven, Connecticut

57 months ago

Redrock77r said: I'm headed down next tue. To take the med agility and directly after to be assigned an Investagator. Can any one tell me what to expect and how long everything will take. Thanks for your help..

well you will be there for like 6 hours also u will do hearing test, a EKG for the heart test... a drug test... lots of sitting.. eat good before u get there... i got to go back there on the 28th for the medical again... its only good for one year...Listen to them and dont worry .. all will be good..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

still waiting in Rochester, New York

56 months ago

ajb2424 from buffalo.
i got my canvas letter back in february 2008, and they just started calling people off the list im on.
you have about a 2 year minimum wait before they call you for training.
all the other stuff such as physicals, psycological, etc. they will get done over the next 6 months or so.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Angel921 in Yonkers, New York

56 months ago

I go to meet with the psychologist this Sunday, April 25. I took my one on one 2 weeks ago. I was told my my BI since I am bilingual I should be pushed through to the academy faster, is this true?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Angel921 in Bronx, New York

56 months ago

Correction- I took my psych WRITTEN 2 weeks ago...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

2929 in Endicott, New York

56 months ago

probe7899 in West Islip, New York said: Victor:
They are only good for one year. I just went for my second round about a month ago.

I'm not so sure about that.

I took mine in October of 2008 and was scheduled to take my psych soon after but was contacted by my investogator and told that everything was on a hold. Over a year later I was contacted by my investigator about the psych test. I took the written, then the interview. Just last week my investigator called me and told me that I had passed the psych and that I'm going to the academy May 9th. My medical is about 7 months over a year, and I never had to do it over again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

2929 in Endicott, New York

56 months ago

state. Just waiting on papers in the mail with the details. Have a feeling I will be going to Albany or Willard. Hopefully Willard because its closer to where im live.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Wondering in Fredonia, New York

56 months ago

My husband took the test over two years ago, got his canvas letter back in February I think, went to Albany this week for testing, and is going back to Albany May 22 for his Psych eval. After all this, when is the soonest we can expect him to get into the academy? Is there any rhyme or reason for all this or is it all luck? because it seems like many people wait years and some don't wait long at all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

danny1969 in New York, New York

56 months ago

DOES ANYBODY KNOWS IF BAD CREDIT WILL CREATE PROBLEMS FOR HIRING AS CO?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

trod in Brooklyn, New York

56 months ago

Angel921: i did spanish also.. my investigator told me we will skip 3000 ppl.. i got my psych May 8th if i pass he said we goin in with the summer class.. We will see. im very hopefulllll. only 130 ppl took spanish out of 3000 ppl i was 29 on that list... its on a site open to the public I took the test last April so obviously they are moving.. GOOOD LUCK!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Trod: Thats so good to hear!! I have been waiting forever! I took the test back in 2007 and finally heard from them at the beginning of this year to begin the process-it was bc of the freeze NY state had going on...finally on the last step which is my one on one. I hope to be in by June the latest! Keeping my fingers crossed!
Have u gotten any word on you background test results yet? Ive heard no news is good news so...i havent heard anything yet

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Angel: I got my medical clearence letter this week thats it.. as per my background im clean im not worried... Theres a class goin in in May.. so i dont think June will be the next i was told mid summer.. I was a bit intimidated by all the men when i took the written psych.. I think i was on that line with like 20 other females and 700 men lol.. i was like wthhhhhelll... The one on one psych is the closer.. the questions asked are based on how u answered the written.. as long as you dont say you will kill anyone who gets ur angry ur safe lolll Im just glad that physically i wont have a problem in the academy. i can easily run 6 miles in an hour.. Im very hopefull

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Trod - I received my medical clearance about a month ago...I knew I was gonna pass that. I'm sure my background is good too, I was just curious cause I haven't heard anything from them about it. I'm just happy that they aren't making me wait to long for my one on one, I only had to wait 2 weeks from when I took the psych written, I'm going Sunday. Got my suit pressed and ready to go!! I just hope the academy is sooner than later.. Im on the edge of my seat itching to get in... finally gonna start something Ive been waiting for for years now!! Maybe we'll be in the same class if all goes well...who knows..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Good Luck Angel.. but as for gettin in sooner than the summer. i wouldnt keep my hopes high on that one.. same here i met my investigator 3 days later i did my written and now 3 weeks later i have my 1 on 1.. i would prefer a winter class tho.. i dont want to be out in the heat for anything... well keep me posted on the 1 on 1.. Im in the process for city corrections.. but that process is a serious joke........ ughh

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Im just thinking positive... like i said before the faster the better! lol I would prefer a summer class... I hate the cold and its bitter up there in Albany in the Winter...
But ill def keep u posted on my status.. good luck trod!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Completed my psych one on one today. Was a little nerve wracking but Im sure I did good. Now here comes the waiting game... anyone know how long the process may be until I get the call to the academy?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

unqnik in Buffalo, New York

56 months ago

i never taken a psych test before so i dont know what expect of it.
How to answer the questions or how long it takes to take the psych exam. someone told me its over a thousand questions and it takes approx 6 hours is that true? please help me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

The psych written consisted of 1500 multiple choice questions, most of which were the same question asked over and over again but in all different ways to see how you answer them. It does take a long time tho.. about 5-6 hours is correct... i recommend you not rush tho and read each question thoroughly. Then the psych one on one was just a psychologist asking a bunch of questions and comparing ur answers to those on the written. Good luck!

Now if someone can answer my question from the earlier post about the academy.. i would appreciate it... lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Lol @ Angel.. why nerve wrecking lol.. my inv told me it takes a while for results so who the hell knows how long that process takes.. ill sleep on it.. when i get called i get called..

@ uniqnik.. that test is mostly about drugs.. i couldnt believe how many times they questioned that area... and yup it takes about that long depends how slow of a reader you are.. i started at 830 and was out by 11:30 and i took like a 20min break..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

@ trod...before I left the psychologist he told me it'll take about a month or two to find out how it went. They dont pass or fail you, its not up to them, they send ur answers to the state and someone else does the deciding. He sat there and asked me a whole bunch of stuff and typed as I talked... im sure he just pressed the "send" button once i walked out the door. lol. I'm not nervous tho, I didn't lie about anything, I sure as hell didn't come off like I was crazy and I was professionally dressed and an hour early. Hope I get the "call" soon, and its a plus that Im bilingual... i may get through faster

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kelly in Millbrook, New York

56 months ago

I,m a NYS Correctional Officer Trainee. I did my medical and psych test. Now I have to meet the psych Doctor for my 1 one 1, but i lost all the info on where to go. who should I call?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

waiting in Ogdensburg, New York said: How was the psych test Im about to take it in two weeks

Its really easy just annoying its all true or false but its alot alot of questions. and i had to write a little essay on why i think i would be good for the job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

unqnik in Buffalo, New York said: i never taken a psych test before so i dont know what expect of it.
How to answer the questions or how long it takes to take the psych exam. someone told me its over a thousand questions and it takes approx 6 hours is that true? please help me.

yea its true its like 3 booklets that have about 700 questions its all multiple choice or true or false. the questions are really stupid you will be fine, and u get asked the same question a bunch o times. they allow 8 hours for u to take it. i took about 4 with waiting in line and everything

Dimelo in New York, New York

56 months ago

Angel. If everything is good, you get in no less than 2 months.

Nikkilava in Alden, New York

56 months ago

My husband has been waiting since october of 07....passed all tests and spoke with investigator in february who said it would probably be "soon"...do they go by order on some list or something??? Waiting this long is getting to be a bit ridiculous....

Nikkilava in Alden, New York

56 months ago

Wondering in Fredonia, New York said: My husband took the test over two years ago, got his canvas letter back in February I think, went to Albany this week for testing, and is going back to Albany May 22 for his Psych eval. After all this, when is the soonest we can expect him to get into the academy? Is there any rhyme or reason for all this or is it all luck? because it seems like many people wait years and some don't wait long at all.

I am wondering the same thing.....it would be nice if they kept you updated every 6 months or so, the way it is now you are just hung out to dry "hoping" you are still on a "list" or whatever they have them on. My husband took the test in oct. of 2007 and we are still waiting...he took the medical/psych/interview all in 2008.....no word yet....

56 months ago

@ Angel.. did you get the letter saying you passed the spanish interview.. i was told we get notice in mail for that also... i told you spanish has the upper hand.. they are so needed.. well May 8th is my turn.. and nope i dont have my skirt and blouse ironed yet lol.. ; ) or picked out lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

trod in Brooklyn, New York said: @ Angel.. did you get the letter saying you passed the spanish interview.. i was told we get notice in mail for that also... i told you spanish has the upper hand.. they are so needed.. well May 8th is my turn.. and nope i dont have my skirt and blouse ironed yet lol.. ; ) or picked out lol

No letter for spanish passing.

56 months ago

@ Kelly: I would contact your BI, they have all the info on where your psych will be.

@ Dimelo: Good lookin. Its good to know I'm definatly moving along and wont be at a stand still.

@ Trod: No you dont receive a letter whether you pass of fail the spanish. When you go for your medical/background they quiz you on your spanish to make sure your fluent, and I am cuz thats all I really speak to my family so I know I passed. My BI told me there in dire need of bilingual CO's and that my turn would come alot faster because of it... and to be honest it has been going really quick....

JUST WAITING FOR "THE CALL"!!

56 months ago

Angel my BI told me i will get a letter sayin if i passed or not.. i got an actual formal one on one 30 minute spanish interview with a lady and my interview was recorded.. dont know what quiz you got. yes its goin quick like i said i got called in less than a year..

56 months ago

Idk Trod... they never said anything to me about receiving a pass/fail letter. Thats what I meant when I said quiz tho.. just someone making sure I could speak it fluently. If you can then I'm sure you passed. I wouldn't worry to much about it tho..

56 months ago

lol i speak spanish backwards it was my concentration in college i have 34 credits in spanish.. the lady was impressed.. she thought i was born and raised in Puerto Rico.. Im surprised she didnt pick up my Brooklyn accent.

jslavick in Skaneateles Falls, New York

56 months ago

Since there is soo much discussion on people being able to speak Spanish (this is a good thing), is there any idea if they tend to like or prefer someone who is an EMT-B, and a trained certified firefighter, volunteer of course. Please let me know your thoughts.

56 months ago

Jslavick.. there are no specific qualifications for this job other than not having a criminal record/clean background... 9 yrs living with a city correction officer who did EMT for 5 years before corrections i can tell you my opinion is that your qualifications will go in your favor once your on the job.. you can work in different units like ESU or the hospital.. Good luck..

56 months ago

I know 2 ppl on this job who are 22 years old and only worked in Subways and for UPS.. its a matter of passing that psych..

56 months ago

Im curious...what can actually fail someone on the psych besides obviously being crazy lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

lol @ Angel.. depends how you answered the questions. I failed 9 yrs ago but won the appeal 2 months later... i was told i was too aggressive.. someone else failed was told no credibility on his answers.. he didnt seem to answer questions honestly.. so he was doubted.. anything goes in this who the hell knows lol..

56 months ago

but honestly i think i failed because when i was asked why would i want this job when i have a new born (my son was 2mnth) i answered very defensive to me it was offensive as a woman.. im sure men are not asked that..

56 months ago

in the appeal questions were different. I was just glad i cleared my record.. then i had a daughter lol

56 months ago

Thanks trod for the info. I appreciate it. My background I think will be ok. I've never been in trouble, never been arrested, never in trouble in school. I don't drink, never have, never don any kind of illegal drugs / narcotics. Never any domestic violence...I did receive a speeding ticket 3 years ago, a traffic infraction, no DWI's, or chargeable accidents, etc. The only thing I'm concerned with is the fact I've been divorced, and my credit is poor, but I'm working on that. I serve as a volunteer Firefighter and EMT. I'm also a vilunteer county fire investigator. Haven't heard anything from my investigator, but at the meeting, he told me I was boring, but it was a good thing and was impressed with my detail on paperwork....? Just waiting now.

56 months ago

I guess i should feel pretty confident then. I was cool as ice from the moment I walked into that office to the second I left (even tho I was nervous) lol
I kept my head high and answered all questions 100% honestly. Im just so anxious to get the ball rolling... still gotta keep my fingers crossed tho

56 months ago

lmao your boring wow thats offensive he might as well have checked for a pulse lol.. my inv is really kool.. mine was surprised i was never on welfare.. he said thats rare.. and yeah u sound boring lol is that why your divorced lol JOKINGGGG JOKINGGG.. let me guess your pentecostal.. im only kidding lolol i have a sense of humor sorry : )

56 months ago

Trod, it was pretty amusing actually. I didn't take it that way. Just kept my nose clean. I'm actually Baptist, go figure,....lol. Divorced because I married the devil....Now remarried.....I do like to have alot of fun, just never crossed the line so to speak. I would hope that the background check would go faster because of that. We'll have to wait and see. I felt good after the written psych test. I answered the questions honestly, and when the Psychologist asks me whatever,...I'm ready. So I go on May 8 for the one on one, and wait from there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

I go the 8th also.. and let him ask me about my kids again.. i will definately get disquailified again lol.. lolll

56 months ago

Anyone here from NYC going to Academy on the May 9?

56 months ago

I dont know anything about the NYC academy.. I know there is also a NYS academy starting that same day as well. Where is the NYC one held? I know the NYS is up in Albany, thats the one Im waiting for.

56 months ago

Sorry i guess i was not clear enough. Anyone here who live in NYC, that would attend the NYS academy May 9th?

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.