Correction Officer in Connecticut

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 2784)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Yanksfan77 in North Haven, Connecticut

60 months ago

Hey guys, i just passed my written exam last month and am scheduled for my pt may 1st. I have been trianing for the past 2 months and i am still very nervous. I am a big guy, 6'2 250 lbs, and i have been athletic all my life. Any tips anyone could give me would be great guys.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

vetteguy in Middletown, Connecticut

60 months ago

If you've been athletic, don't worry too much.
Just train specifically for the events required.
A lot of hamstring stretching for flexibility, situps and pushups every day, and some running/sprinting and you should be fine.
I'm 6' 240, and 46 yrs old, and I, too, have been active most of my life, mostly in weight training/bodybuilding.
The only one that worries me is the run, since I've had knee cartilage surgery years ago, and I don't run much, but I've been doing a bit more, and feel OK, so I'm not sweating it.
I'm testing April 29th, so hopefully the weather is nice!
Best of luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Yanksfan77 in North Haven, Connecticut

60 months ago

THnaks a lot , good luck with your test aswell, once youve completed it post your resultts and the structure of the test lool if you dont mind.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

I'd offer this advice.
Don't drink or eat close to your test time.
Leave a couple of hours since your last meal, and only sip water up to the test.
Excess water(and food) in the stomach will definitely hurt your performance in the situp, perhaps not so much in the pushup or run.
I drank a bit of water prior to doing my situps earlier today, and it made it much tougher to crank the reps, felt pretty uncomfortable.

My goal for the run is to try to stay as light on my feet as possible and just get those legs kicking fast.

I also plan on doing one or two warmup reps of each exercise prior to the actual test, just to get the body a bit familiar with the movement, and take some of the "old age" aches out of the picture before being tested!

Hope this helps!

Stephen DeBarba in Wolcott, Connecticut

60 months ago

Well I just passed the PT test. It wasn't too bad really. I have to say if your in shape at least a little bit you should do fine.
My results:
Sit and Reach- 16 1/2 inches
Sit ups- 35
Push ups- 26
300m sprint- 60.75 sec
Just barely passed them all and I'm not in the best of shape 5'11'' 230lbs.

My advice though is definitely eat an extremely light breakfast and drink water (not too much though). They do provide water at the test site and believe me you will need it. I went at 9:30am and by the time I got outside to do the run it was 81 degrees.

Hope this helps and good luck!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

Congrats!
So how was the sprint?
I am guessing it is one lap of the track?
Also, how strict are they on the form in pushups and situps?
Just curious because in good form I can get about 40 or so situps and 30 pushups in one minute each.

Also, did they give you any indication about the next step in the process?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

Thanks!
The sprint was rough. I pushed myself way passed what I thought my body was capable of doing. The sprint was one lap around the track which is not a normal track. The track is paved and small, I think its a 305 meter track.
They are strict on form with the situps and pushups.
For the situps you start in the down position with your hands behind your head fingers interlaced, when you come up your elbows have to touch your knees, and when you come back down your shoulderblades have to touch the ground.
For the pushups you start on your stomach with your arms out ready to push up. When you start and lift up the monitor puts his fist under your chest. You have to touch his fist when coming down and when going back up your arms have to be fully extended. They are strict when it comes to touching the fist (about 4 of mine didn't count).

After you finish the run you sit and wait for everyone in your "group" to finish then they give you your score sheet back which tells you if you passed the run. Then if you look like you are going to die, like I did, they will have you sit down for a little while before going back inside to submit your scores.

When you go back inside you fill out a little survey about the test and they enter your scores. If you passed you procede to the next table and they schedule your interview right there. They didn't ask me when I wanted an interview so I think they just assign one to you. They give you a sheet explaining what you have to do next for the interview.

Hope this helps and Good Luck!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

Thanks for the info!
The track looks small, but for us non-runners, I guess it could be a chore! lol
How soon is your interview?

Again, congrats on your success, and best of luck with the rest of the process!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

yanksfan77 in Madison, Connecticut

60 months ago

Congrats on your success, i have a question though, who does the monitoring, is it a partner or a staff member, my test is this Friday at 2 and i hope its not 100 degrees. Thnx for all the info

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

BigMiguel in Hamden, Connecticut

60 months ago

How did everyone do on the written exam?

need som tips in Bridgeport, Connecticut

60 months ago

I passed my physical exam like a breeze but now comes the hard part for me....THE INTERVIEW...Does anyone have any advice in regards to what will they ask during this process?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Prison Bum in New Haven, Connecticut

60 months ago

I also passed my fitness test on the 30th. So I'm curious about interview dates. Mine is in August. Anyone have theirs in June or July?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

diggy860 in New Britain, Connecticut

60 months ago

Hey this is off topic but does anyone when when the next CO Academy Class starts? My oral board is on May 14th.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

No idea when the Academy starts their 1st class. What date did you take your physical fitness exam Diggy?

60 months ago

I took it on 4-28-09, I'm 39 & my score was:

Sit & Reach: 21"
Sit Up's: 57
Push Up's: 54 (did 60 but 6 didn't count because i didn't go down all the way)
300m Run: 53 sec

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

I heard there were about 10,000 applicants and that the writen test knocked off about a third of that. Not sure how many didn't make it past the PT part.

hellryd in Holyoke, Massachusetts

60 months ago

I took my PT test on the 1st of May. I am 41 years old and the criteria was pretty easy. Although I did train for it. My interview is set upfor August 13th. Does anyone know how long the process should take after that? Also doe anyone know how many they are planning on hiring?

60 months ago

That is quite a few applicants! It looks like they'll be doing oral boards through at least October according to my estimates. Diggy, you must have done your PT exam the morning of the 1st possilbe PT exam day to get your interview so soon as they appeared to have given out OB dates first come first serve. Hopefully you can share any information you find out about Academy start dates and how many they are hiring when you go to your oral board on the 14th. Thanks for your help!
My big question is if they will start Academy only after interviewing everyone and if the written test score will weigh heavy after that.

60 months ago

I set my PT portion for 04-28-09 at 1:30pm which was the first available date.

I over heard a DOC HR person at the PT test mention that there may be between 200-300 jobs.

I heard rumor of a June class also hear rumor of August. I wouldn't consider either is set in stone untill I actually hear in from a DOC official.

I heard today at the gym from a current CO that the state is also looking to do a lay off in the DOC.

I heard another CO mention that the state may be considering giving a golden hand shake to a lot of the guys that are within a few years of hitting their 20 years on the job.

I further heard from another CO that the DOC has put a stop to all CERT & K9 training which is a bummer. I'm a former Marine and I live for that stuff.

At this point I would say that it's best to consider everything to be plausable rumors.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

vetteguy in Cheshire, Connecticut

60 months ago

My understanding about the potential layoff is that it has to do with current contract talks.
I find it very difficult to believe that the state could lay anyone off when according to everything I've read and heard(my neighbor is a CO) the prisons are overcrowded and short-staffed.
He believes that training will start fairly soon, but he has no direct knowledge about the schedule, so take that for what it is worth.
I guess we'll have to wait and see.
My neighbor did mention the state's desire to grant the early retirement packages to cut costs, which seems to be the norm nowadays.
My interview is scheduled for June 8.
Good luck to all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

Well, I hate to tell everyone but the DOC is not hiring. I passed the written, passed my physical on 4/28/09 at 9:30am, and went for my interview on May 5th. I did the writing sample, which was easy, and the interview went great. I asked the people interviewing me, before the start of the interview, how many positions were open and they said absolutely none. From what they told me they need people but cannot hire anyone. People have retired, gottone fired, moved,etc. but because Gov. Rell put a hiring freeze (yes it applies to the DOC) on the state when a position opens up...poof...its like it was never there. From what they told me the last group to get into the academy went through their testing in 2007 and they just got in about a month ago...not sure what's happening to them right now because the prisons are so understaffed they reassigned the training officers to work in the prisons.

From what I was told in my interview the process under normal circumstances could take up to 2 years, and in their words," With the way things are going now it will be interesting to see how long this takes".

59 months ago

Well, I hate to tell everyone but the DOC is not hiring. I passed the written, passed my physical on 4/28/09 at 9:30am, and went for my interview on May 5th. I did the writing sample, which was easy, and the interview went great. I asked the people interviewing me, before the start of the interview, how many positions were open and they said absolutely none. From what they told me they need people but cannot hire anyone. People have retired, been fired, moved,etc. but because Gov. Rell put a hiring freeze (yes it applies to the DOC) on the state when a position opens up...poof...its like it was never there. From what they told me the last group to get into the academy went through their testing in 2007 and they just got in about a month ago...not sure what's happening to them right now because the prisons are so understaffed they reassigned the training officers to work in the prisons.

From what I was told in my interview the process under normal circumstances could take up to 2 years, and in their words," With the way things are going now it will be interesting to see how long this takes".

vetteguy in Cheshire, Connecticut

59 months ago

Stephen,
Thanks for the info, even though it isn't what we were all waiting to hear!
I guess we just go through the process, and let the chips fall where they may.
Did they at least schedule you for the medical screening, or is that being held off, too?

59 months ago

Hey Stephen thanks for the heads up. It's not the news I expected to hear. Man this all really sucks. I had really high hopes to get in and start training. I have my OB tomorrow. I'll se what else I can dig up.

purple-ru in Windsor Locks, Connecticut

59 months ago

i hear that DOC is going to start their training academy Jan 2010! Did anyone hear anything else?

59 months ago

Yea I know, none of us wanted to hear any of that news. I wanted to be a CO and working by the end of the summer, but I guess thats not happening. They didn't schedule me for a medical screening so I'm not sure if there holding off on that too. I'm thinking that when they finish up the OB's, sort through them, and run background checks they might contact us about medical screenings but I'm not sure. I guess all we can do is wait and see what happens.

purple-ru in Waterbury, Connecticut

59 months ago

It's a waiting game man, THIS SUCKS!!!

59 months ago

Hey all, I had my OB tobay. Bad news, they aren't hiring at all. The old lady in the state house won't let themhire any nerw state employees. I echo what Stephen DeBarba said about wanting to be working as a CO by the end of summer. This really sucks. I've been laid off since Nov of 2008 and there are no jobs out there. This is only getting worse.

vetteguy in Wallingford, Connecticut

59 months ago

Thanks, Stephen and diggy860,
Looks like you both heard the same, so I'd guess we are all out of luck for the foreseeable future.
Diggy860, I feel your pain, it is one tough job market right now.
I've got resumes out in many places, jobs I would not normally apply for because they don't relate to my background, and I don't even get a reply back just to say i don't fit their requirements! lol
Tough!!
Anybody interested in getting together over a cup of coffee and throwing business ideas across the table, maybe we can come up with something that can put us all to work!
Just an idea.

purple-ru in Berlin, Connecticut

59 months ago

Hey what type of questions did they ask on the OB? And did they say they will at least be in touch with you?

vetteguy in Wallingford, Connecticut

59 months ago

Well, heard the news on the radio this morn.
Unions have agreed to concessions, pay freezes for a year, furlough days for all, etc, which means no layoffs for two years.
The state is going to offer the retirement package, so that may open up some positions, and it is obvious the state will want to bring in us lower paid newbs to cut costs, so there may still be hope, just don't know how soon.

59 months ago

Hey vetteguy I'm down for getting together over a cup of coffee and throwing business ideas across the table. Any body else?

Questions on the OB were:

* If you have two prisoners in cells next to each other and one of them was playing his radio at an approved volume level and the prisoner in the other cell kept yelling for him to turn down his radio, how would you Handel it?

* If there was a fight between 2 inmates in a common area, how would you Handel it?

* If another CO was being assaulted how would you Handel it?

* If another CO was being verbally racially abusive to a group of prisoners, how would you Handel it?

There were a few others but I can't remember them off the top of my head.

Also they said DO NOT call them for information or to ask when positions will open up or it will go against us.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

purple-ru in Windsor Locks, Connecticut

59 months ago

OH Wow, Thanks Diggy! The question seem like they are common sense... I just want to leave my other job but I can'tuntill we all know the verdict of if we are on board and when the acadamy starts etc!!!

d in Bristol, Connecticut

59 months ago

i took it and had totally different questions. it was very laid back and easy. they old me the are going to hire the minute they get money from the state. the said it could be two months it could be 2 yrs. they really have no idea. they also said they hire even if others have not completed their oral board, which is strange because with police processes they dont make any decisions until all eligible candidates have complete the entire process.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

j in Stratford, Connecticut

58 months ago

I hope they have an academy soon.

t.t in New Haven, Connecticut

58 months ago

What was the essay question?

58 months ago

What is your philosophy on Corrections?

Junior03 in New Britain, Connecticut

58 months ago

Any word on the background process?

ron

58 months ago

Dam man this truly blows. Just had a son and I work out side so I hardly get to work these days. I hate the hurry up and wait game. Was the interview stressfull ? Did they fire questions at you

jobless in Meriden, Connecticut

58 months ago

Background process is taking place.
Two of my former supervisors have told me that they were both called by the DOC in regard to my background.
Not sure how this falls in line with hiring expectations, but it is progressing.

58 months ago

Jobless, thanks 4 the positive respond. I think that mean that u pass ur background.

big joe in Wethersfield, Connecticut

58 months ago

anybody now the starting salary for entry level corrections/

big joe in Wethersfield, Connecticut

58 months ago

anyone know the starting salary for the entry level corrections officer

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Pete N CT

58 months ago

big joe in Wethersfield, Connecticut said: anyone know the starting salary for the entry level corrections officer

The salary is listed in a handout given after the interview:

$ 34,549 academy
$ 38,387 after 10 week training period
$8 dollar per day meal allowance plus night and weekend shift differential...also $ 800.00 paid each december for rollcall 15 minutes before shift

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Analee7893 in Windsor, Connecticut

57 months ago

Has anyone else have confirmed if there current or prior employers been contacted???? When they are contacted, that means you have passed the interview. That's good!
FYI - I heard they were going to have a class in August... just rumors..........

dm in Bristol, Connecticut

57 months ago

my employers were contacted last week. i heard they are hoping to have a class by august 14th and then another one in september

57 months ago

That sounds great!! we just never know!!!! thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

jobless in Meriden, Connecticut said: Background process is taking place.
Two of my former supervisors have told me that they were both called by the DOC in regard to my background.
Not sure how this falls in line with hiring expectations, but it is progressing.

That's means you have passed the interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

My former employer have been contacted this pass week.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Pete N CT

57 months ago

Analee7893 in Windsor, Connecticut said: Has anyone else have confirmed if there current or prior employers been contacted???? When they are contacted, that means you have passed the interview. That's good!
FYI - I heard they were going to have a class in August... just rumors..........

Three weeks ago my background was completed..also heard possible august academy..just waiting for a letter to come to be official.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.