California Youth Corrections Officer/Counselor November Academy

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 220)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

iPhone in Sacramento, California

62 months ago

Is anyone attending the Academy forCalifornia DJJ? If so please post as it may help with the transition.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

J.G. in Manteca, California

62 months ago

ndHey iPhone i will be attending the academy for DJJ in Nov.ing

MobileME in Sacramento, California

62 months ago

J.G. in Manteca, California said: ndHey iPhone i will be attending the academy for DJJ in Nov.ing

Excellent .... Have you received your packet yet?

62 months ago

No not yet I was told it should be in this week. Have you??

62 months ago

J.G. in Manteca, California said: No not yet I was told it should be in this week. Have you??

Not yet. I am curious about the uniform(s). On another posting someone stated that the academy provides uniform(s) .... Have you heard anything?

Also .... are you YCO or YCC?

J.G.

62 months ago

MobileME in Sacramento, California said: Not yet. I am curious about the uniform(s). On another posting someone stated that the academy provides uniform(s) .... Have you heard anything?

Also .... are you YCO or YCC?

I am YCO. How about yourself??

J.G.

62 months ago

Hey Mobileme will you be living on site or comutting back and forth from the academy??

62 months ago

J.G. said: I am YCO. How about yourself??

I will be a YCC.

[QOUTE who="J.G."] Hey Mobileme will you be living on site or comutting back and forth from the academy??

I will be staying on site .... returning home on the weekends. I am assuming there are meals provided on site. Staying on site will help me with studying and just getting to know people. Will go home to catch up on things and do laundry.

How about you?

J.G.

62 months ago

MobileME in Sacramento, California said: I will be a YCC.

[QOUTE who="J.G."] Hey Mobileme will you be living on site or comutting back and forth from the academy??

I will be staying on site .... returning home on the weekends. I am assuming there are meals provided on site. Staying on site will help me with studying and just getting to know people. Will go home to catch up on things and do laundry.

How about you?

I will be living on site too. I am from Stockton which is 20 minutes away from the academy so that's a good thing!

Gaiden49 in Fresno, California

62 months ago

Hello, I am new here on these forums and just got a call for YCO in Preston Youth Correctional Facility. Anyone else got there?

62 months ago

Gaiden49 in Fresno, California said: Hello, I am new here on these forums and just got a call for YCO in Preston Youth Correctional Facility. Anyone else got there?

Hey Gaiden .... welcome. Glad to hear about the call. I am going in as a CC for the 11/30 academy also. Just redoing my PAT and awaiting the packet.

62 months ago

Anyone get the packet yet? I also have to redo my PAT I have to call tommorow and schedule it.

62 months ago

J.G. in Manteca, California said: Anyone get the packet yet? I also have to redo my PAT I have to call tommorow and schedule it.

I have not recv'd mine yet. I still have to redo my PAT and then they may feel confident to send after I pass. My PAT redo is tomorrow. I will let you all know when I receive my packet. Hope you will do the same.

Gaiden in Fresno, California

62 months ago

MobileME in Sacramento, California said: I have not recv'd mine yet. I still have to redo my PAT and then they may feel confident to send after I pass. My PAT redo is tomorrow. I will let you all know when I receive my packet. Hope you will do the same.

I think you will pass fine MobileME, seems the PAT is a breeze as long as you know what you have to do. Hope to see you at the academy. I am glad we have time to at least prepare for what is to come....

62 months ago

Is the PAT the same thing we did when we first had it? With the stationary bike and grip test?? Does it include a vision test?

62 months ago

J.G. in Manteca, California said: Is the PAT the same thing we did when we first had it? With the stationary bike and grip test?? Does it include a vision test?

Yes it is. The only thing it does not have is the vision test.

I just finished mine and I passed. Ready for the next step .... the TB Test.

62 months ago

I just got my packet in the mail. Lots of stuff to read. Anyone else get theirs?

62 months ago

MobileME in Sacramento, California said: I just got my packet in the mail. Lots of stuff to read. Anyone else get theirs?

Great to hear MobileME, how long did it take for you to receive it?

Oh yea and congratz on passing the PAT. How much does the TB test cost if you don't mind me asking?

62 months ago

Gaiden in Fresno, California said: Great to hear MobileME, how long did it take for you to receive it?

I heard they started mailing them on Thursday (10/29). If you live close by Sacramento it should be there today or Monday.

Gaiden in Fresno, California said: yea and congratz on passing the PAT. How much does the TB test cost if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks ..... I am not sure the actual cost but from what I read the State will reimburse you up to $15.00 for the test. You can have it done at your doctor or at the county health dept. Hope that helps.

62 months ago

I received my packet yesterday. Theres a lot of reading. I still need to schedule my PAT also. Anyone know of someone who got offered a job at O.H. Close??

62 months ago

J.G. in Manteca, California said: I received my packet yesterday. Theres a lot of reading. I still need to schedule my PAT also. Anyone know of someone who got offered a job at O.H. Close??

Congrats! I am in the process of setting up a Student ID (SID) and have posted a question on it. It was asking about enrolling for Spring 2010.

62 months ago

Anyone receive there testing office scantron?? Or do we receive those when we take a tour at our institution??

62 months ago

Hey MobileMe did you receive a scantron in your packet about information if you were going to live on-site or off-site??? Or any paperwork to fill out about it??

62 months ago

J.G. in Manteca, California said: Anyone receive there testing office scantron?? Or do we receive those when we take a tour at our institution??

J.G. in Manteca, California said: MobileMe did you receive a scantron in your packet about information if you were going to live on-site or off-site??? Or any paperwork to fill out about it??

I did not recv a scantron. I advised them already that I am going to reside onsite at the academy. That might make a difference. Did you let them know when you accepted the offer?

I am under the assumption the facility you will taking the orientation will provide you a scantron.

KJinFresno in Fresno, California

62 months ago

Hey all..
I am going in Nov 30 academy as YCC. I received my packet last week and am trying to figure everything out. I will be living on site. I'll be work at OH Close. I read and heard that YCO's will have to purchase uniforms before academy. YCC's will be given uniforms to use, since after academy we won't be needing them. YCC's wear business attire on the job. Unfortunately i had already purchased the CO required class b uniforms before i got the call for YCC. Now.. i'm stuck with the 2 uniforms and battle jacket ($300) for nothing as far as I know. It reads in the packet that YCO's will be wearing Jumpsuits?? Anyone know any more on that..

62 months ago

KJinFresno in Fresno, California said: Hey all..
I am going in Nov 30 academy as YCC. I received my packet last week and am trying to figure everything out. I will be living on site. I'll be work at OH Close. I read and heard that YCO's will have to purchase uniforms before academy. YCC's will be given uniforms to use, since after academy we won't be needing them. YCC's wear business attire on the job. Unfortunately i had already purchased the CO required class b uniforms before i got the call for YCC. Now.. i'm stuck with the 2 uniforms and battle jacket ($300) for nothing as far as I know. It reads in the packet that YCO's will be wearing Jumpsuits?? Anyone know any more on that..

KJinFresno ... welcome. I am going to Preston. I have been reading on the clothing/uniform/PT requirements and am confused.

I know the academy will be providing the Class C jumpsuits (2x)and battle jackets, but I thought we still had to purchase the Class B's?

Also in the Cadet Handbook it requires us to enroll in a college. Tried but do not see anything. Have anyone tried this?

62 months ago

J.G. in Manteca, California said: I received my packet yesterday. Theres a lot of reading. I still need to schedule my PAT also. Anyone know of someone who got offered a job at O.H. Close??

I will be going to O.H. as a YCC. How about you?

62 months ago

I will be going as a YCO

62 months ago

MobileME in Sacramento, California said: KJinFresno ... welcome. I am going to Preston. I have been reading on the clothing/uniform/PT requirements and am confused.

I know the academy will be providing the Class C jumpsuits (2x)and battle jackets, but I thought we still had to purchase the Class B's?

Also in the Cadet Handbook it requires us to enroll in a college. Tried but do not see anything. Have anyone tried this?

Hey MobileMe I also tried to log in to the AJ 71 class but could not find it in the Fall, Spring or Summer 2009 class schedule.

62 months ago

Where did you purchase your gear if you don't mind me asking?

62 months ago

J.G. in Manteca, California said: Hey MobileMe I also tried to log in to the AJ 71 class but could not find it in the Fall, Spring or Summer 2009 class schedule.

From the looks of the handbook it is old and was never updated to remove that. I put in a call to the Capt. at the academy but have not heard back. It's been a couple of days. Must be busy getting ready. I am assuming that since it is not there on the college web site .... it must not be required.

62 months ago

MobileME in Sacramento, California said: From the looks of the handbook it is old and was never updated to remove that. I put in a call to the Capt. at the academy but have not heard back. It's been a couple of days. Must be busy getting ready. I am assuming that since it is not there on the college web site .... it must not be required.

I have a feeling too that some stuff just isn't updated in the book. Also the way they write it can be confusing too, they jump all over the place with topics.

62 months ago

Gaiden in Fresno, California said: I have a feeling too that some stuff just isn't updated in the book. Also the way they write it can be confusing too, they jump all over the place with topics.

I was checking previous posts on a different forum and I came across this from the CDCR forms page.

www.cdcr.ca.gov/Career_Opportunities/POR/docs/CadetOrientationModuleYCO.pdf

It's a little bit more cleaner but not sure it is up to date. Note sure th revision. Not much about YCC, more about the YCO.

JG in Manteca .... did you get a cadet handbook, updated October, and a separate checklist with uniform compliance procedure about an 1" thick?

62 months ago

Ok.. what's going on with your handbooks.. I only got a thin handbook with blue cover and then a seperate package of paperwork and info stapled. It was about 1 inch thick. It does look like old copies.. Anyone hear back on it yet?

62 months ago

MobileME in Sacramento, California said: I was checking previous posts on a different forum and I came across this from the CDCR forms page.

It's a little bit more cleaner but not sure it is up to date. Note sure th revision. Not much about YCC, more about the YCO.

JG in Manteca .... did you get a cadet handbook, updated October, and a separate checklist with uniform compliance procedure about an 1" thick?

I got a neon green covered Cadet Handbook and another packet about an inch thick with the cover page being "Orientation to the basic correctional Juvenile academy: Handbook Checklist"

I don't happen to have the uniform compliance procedure i think.

DS916 in Sacramento, California

62 months ago

Hey Gaiden,
thanks for the link to this forum....
I am going to the academy as well, i'll be a YCO at Preston (pending on PAT)>
My PAT is thursday, and I already did my TB... Since i'm a student at SAC city college it only cost 5 bucks so it was a good deal...

I live about 30-45minutes away as well, and I'm going to reside on the academy grounds, and head home during the wknd. (makes it easier to study and workout)

I recieved the neon green package as well, and another packet that's about an inch thick stapled together....

J.G... the uniform stuff is there, but we have to decifer it.. the package that's stapled together has everything in it, but you have to read all the jargon to get to it...Look for the saying "Reference: insert item here"

62 months ago

DS916 in Sacramento, California said: Hey Gaiden,
I am going to the academy as well, i'll be a YCO at Preston (pending on PAT)>
My PAT is thursday, and I already did my TB... Since i'm a student at SAC city college it only cost 5 bucks so it was a good deal...

I live about 30-45minutes away as well, and I'm going to reside on the academy grounds, and head home during the wknd. (makes it easier to study and workout)

I recieved the neon green package as well, and another packet that's about an inch thick stapled together....

J.G... the uniform stuff is there, but we have to decifer it.. the package that's stapled together has everything in it, but you have to read all the jargon to get to it...Look for the saying "Reference: insert item here"

Hey no problem DS916.. Hope your PAT goes well. Yea got the green package too and thick stack of papers all stapled.. which are low quality copies.

Anyways I tried to do that enrollment stuff in the Delta College but do I have to completely apply to the college and the whole thing? All I wanted to get was that SIN number right? I looks like they want me to fillout a huge application before I can even register for that.

62 months ago

MobileME in Sacramento, California said: I was checking previous posts on a different forum and I came across this from the CDCR forms page.

That looks like a link from the official CDCR website, it is probably a current version. I'll be checking it out, I could already notice differences between that and the handbook they mailed to me. You should probably skim over it to make sure there isn't anything important our other handbooks miss... I'll be checking it out too. Thanks JG.

62 months ago

Hey KJin, you check out any uniform places yet? I have listed a few in Fresno which are Best Uniforms, Metro Uniforms, and Above the Law. There are more, but sorting out which I will visit tomorrow to see their prices and selection. If you have any good recommendations let me know.

62 months ago

Woops I see you already purchase some stuff, sorry forgot to read your post thoroughly. If you have any uniform shop recommendations though... Thanks.

62 months ago

I went to Best Uniforms on Shaw/Fresno. The older woman in there seemed to really know what she was talking about. What are you planning on purchasing so far? I just talked to the Capt. of academy today and he said we have to wait to get the course # for the class because it is not updated in the book. He said we will be using Class B's in academy but i didn't catch if we have to purchase prior to arrival. It makes me happy.. i didn't buy them for nothing. :)

62 months ago

KJinFresno in Fresno, California said: Ok.. what's going on with your handbooks.. I only got a thin handbook with blue cover .....

Blue? That is strange. Does it have a revised "mm/yyyy" for the booklet?

62 months ago

DS916 in Sacramento, California said: Hey Gaiden,
I am going to the academy as well, i'll be a YCO at Preston (pending on PAT)> .....

Welcome DS916 .... I'm also assigned to Preston.

62 months ago

My bad.. it was neon green. I was wrong.

62 months ago

Well from what I can see YCO's need to purchase 2 Class "C" Jumpsuits. Also need the key holder, belt, hat, etc.

Anyone have clarification I exactly what we need to purchase? We don't need the class "B" right?

DS916 in West Sacramento, California

62 months ago

I passed my PAT this morning, and I turned in my employment verification, TB results, and PHU. So I guess now I talk with my professors, call the Academy make sure I have a place to sleep, call the VA advisor at the Academy, and give a two week notice?
How do we schedule our tour of the institution?

62 months ago

Gaiden in Fresno, California said: Well from what I can see YCO's need to purchase 2 Class "C" Jumpsuits. Also need the key holder, belt, hat, etc.

Anyone have clarification I exactly what we need to purchase? We don't need the class "B" right?

-
-YCO need (Pg. 4-8 of the Handbook):
Under "items will be purchased by all BJCA cadets."
*Boots ....
*Key holder....
*Cap...
2 Class "C"
1 Class "B"
PT Gear
-YCC need (Pg. 4-8 of the Handbook):
Under "items will be purchased by all BJCA cadets."
*Boots ....
*Key holder....
*Cap...
1 Class "B"
PT Gear

From what the handbook states.

62 months ago

DS916 in West Sacramento, California said: I passed my PAT this morning, and I turned in my employment verification, TB results, and PHU. So I guess now I talk with my professors, call the Academy make sure I have a place to sleep, call the VA advisor at the Academy, and give a two week notice?
How do we schedule our tour of the institution?

Congrats DS916! When you excepted, did you indicate if you are staying on or off site? If you already stated then they should have it reserved already. As for the scheduling to tour the facility .... they stated on the "Confirmation Letter" that they will call you. In the handbook it states 16 hrs of onsite orientation. I will give it one more week if I have not heard from them, I will contact. Let me know if you hear ...please.

62 months ago

Flub: "excepted" should be "accepted".

robbulahan in thornton, California

62 months ago

I know some of you were offered spots in the adult academy and then later were offered a spot for youth,were you able to apply for both adult and youth at the same time and do you need a scw of 85 for yco also

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.