Conditions in New York State Correction Academy

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (17)

Maci in Merchantville, New Jersey

18 months ago

I wanted to know what to expect at the NYS Correction Academy. Are the rooms very small and cramped? Didn't want to bring too much if thats the case. Also are the bathrooms like college dorms with individual shower booths and curtains or is it just a bunch of open showerheads with everybody showering together?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SeanMichael787 in Wappingers Falls, New York

17 months ago

Have you heard anything about your question? or have you started the academy and found out? I am wondering the same thing, I leave Sunday.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Maci in Austin, Texas

17 months ago

No I did not hear anything. I would be glad for you to answer my question for me when you get a chance this week, since you will be there. Congrats on getting into the academy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Seanmichael787 in Poughkeepsie, New York

17 months ago

Maci in Austin, Texas said: No I did not hear anything. I would be glad for you to answer my question for me when you get a chance this week, since you will be there. Congrats on getting into the academy.

I just finished my second week. Rooms are 4 guys with 2 bunks, and 1 sink. You have a table about 4ft wide that 2 guys can iron on at the same time. The rooms DO have outlets for irons and alarm clocks, that was one thing I was'nt sure of and wanted to know. The bathroom has 5 shower stalls and they are privacy booths with dual curtains. But 40 guys, with 5 stalls, and about 20min to shower and change does'nt always work. Bring a travel container of baby wipes and use those, and wash your hair in you're sink in the room. You will save yourself alot of time, then at the end of the day you can shower up till 10pm. The rooms have lockers, so you have one that you share with your bunk mate and its the display locker, so ONLY display items go in there. Then you have your personal locker that is like a highschool locker and that gets locked with your combo lock. Then the room has a "community" locker for the 4 guys in the room, in that one you all hang your extra uniforms, thier is 2 big shelves to share, and then 4 small shelves, one for each guy. That locker MUST be locked aswell thou, so bring an extra combo lock incase someone else does'nt and you will have to share the combo with everyone in your room, so make sure it's not the same combo as your personal lock. Anyother questions feel free to ask! I def wish i had some of this info before I first went. Are you going to the academy soon?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Maci in Mount Ephraim, New Jersey

17 months ago

Thank you so much for responding and for the info, I really appreciate it. I take my 1 on 1 with the psychologist on December 5th, then I will be done with everything and just waiting. I expect to hopefully get a call for the academy some point next year between february and april, depending on how fast the state moves with things. I did have a few more questions though. I wanted to know if it was worth it to stencil the white crew neck t-shirts before going to the academy or if it was better to do it there? Also around what time does the day end with all of the activities that are required daily? And how is the school work? Once again thanks so much for everything and can you please send my your email so I can communicate with you in the future, or you can just email me at wliggins@gmail.com if you don't want to put your email on this site. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bauertastic in Buffalo, New York

16 months ago

hey guys, just a quick question regarding the academy. I'm going to start December 10th and I'm getting all my stuff ready. I'm wondering if you guys bring multiple changes of workout gear (sweatpants/sweatshirt/shorts) or just bring one?

16 months ago

I have not been to the academy yet so I'm not 100%, but from what I've heard you will need at least a few of everything because you sweat a lot from the physical training and I'm sure you don't want to wear the same wet and sweaty clothes each day.

Bauertastic in Buffalo, New York

16 months ago

yeah, that's what I figured, but with space being at a premium I was just making sure. Thanks!

Seanmichael787

16 months ago

Bauertastic in Buffalo, New York said: hey guys, just a quick question regarding the academy. I'm going to start December 10th and I'm getting all my stuff ready. I'm wondering if you guys bring multiple changes of workout gear (sweatpants/sweatshirt/shorts) or just bring one?

Shoot me an email. I'll be home tomorrow evening to respond. I'll give ya some pointers... Seanmichael787@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ronnie from Union in Union, New Jersey

16 months ago

I'm from NJ and I have completed everything. I'm just waiting for the call for the academy. I am still a NJ resident but was told that I needed to relocate to NY before the academy starts. Is there anyone from out of state that had to do this? I see a lot of people from all over that have applied to NYSDOCS and I am just curious if not relocating in time has hindered their process of starting in time. Thanks!

16 months ago

If I were you I would speak to your Background Investigator about the issue. But on this forum it does not give accurate locations on where the people are from who post comments. You can be from Jersey City, NJ and it says that you are from White Plains, NY.

Ronnie from Union in Union, New Jersey

16 months ago

Maci in Mount Ephraim, New Jersey said: If I were you I would speak to your Background Investigator about the issue. But on this forum it does not give accurate locations on where the people are from who post comments. You can be from Jersey City, NJ and it says that you are from White Plains, NY.

Ahhh. Ok. Thank you. I'll give him a call.

JLanz in Bellmore, New York

15 months ago

Hi guys just wanted to know how the academy went and afterward, how did the assignments go for your permanent positions?
All this information really helped i'm glad I found it, I start Jan 28, 2013

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jess730 in Middletown, New York

15 months ago

I was just accepted into the academy and will be starting on Sunday. I was wondering if there was anything not on list that you found usefull to have.

JLanz in Bellmore, New York

15 months ago

Jess730 in Middletown, New York said: I was just accepted into the academy and will be starting on Sunday. I was wondering if there was anything not on list that you found usefull to have.

I think we are on our own Jess!!

schecter1556 in Avon, Connecticut

11 months ago

I got my call to go to the academy on may 19th and I see gray shorts are on the list of things to bring and was wondering what they had to be? Can they be like mesh nike shorts or more like cotton like our sweat pants? Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you

Nymedic in Newburgh, New York

7 months ago

What time is the latest you can be there on Sundays.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.