I'm a Counselor. Can I meet clients in my home-office?...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

beachbum in Kissimmee, Florida

34 months ago

I have a small office close to my home, but unable to afford it anymore. I cannot find anything else cheaper, so thinking of having clients come to my home office. It's in a nice subdivision, convenient location, decorated professioanly for my line of work as a counselor. I have no children and no pets. My husband will remain on the opposite side of the house while I have a client. I'm not concerned about safety as all my clients are female. If you were my client, would YOU feel OK with meeting me at my home? Thank you so much for your reply.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

lcarter12@bellsouth.net in Tupelo, Mississippi

32 months ago

I wqould lnot recommend it. As you are undoubtedly aware, although your practice is limited to females, these females are troubled. If they have issues such as Borderline, BiPolar, and relationship problems it is a set-up for high drama outside your home, or, 'visitors' in the deep hours of the night. It would be very difficult to maintain firm boundaries with patients. Don't think that merely telling patients the 'rules' will have any effect when these individuals experience a crisis. Most of the time, an individual's needs are so overwhelming that they walk all over the needs of others in order to fill their own.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Freshly Minted Counselor in Lansing, Michigan

30 months ago

I had a therapist once who worked out of his home and I loved the homey feel of it. I thought about doing the same, but my supervisor warned against it out of fear for my own security.

Here's an idea - go out to churches and community centers and say that if they agree to let you use a room for counseling, you will give them a percentage of your proceeds, say 10 percent. And give them 20 percent if the client is a member of the church/neighborhood who they refer to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

beachbum in Kissimmee, Florida

30 months ago

That's a great idea, thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.