Cytotechnologist Job in Ohio

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (45)

Mindy in Charlottesville, Virginia

71 months ago

I am looking for a cytotechnologist position in Ohio at a hospital, but I have not even received a call about any of the jobs I applied to. I currently live and work in Virginia so I don't think they are even considering me. I have 8 years experience and have taken the classes for molecular Diagnostics. Any one know of any job openings or have some advice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

lmk in Redondo Beach, California

71 months ago

Hi Mindy,
My Husband is a Cytotech out here in CA and we are actually looking to move to Virgina or North Carolina. May I ask where in VA you are? Do you have any suggestions of where to apply? We have not heard anything from the jobs he has applied to yet. We think it also might have something to do with living out of state. We can move fairly quickly too. He has about 10 years of experience.
Thank you.

lmk in Redondo Beach, California

71 months ago

Ooops. Sorry I see you are in Charlottesville now.

Mindy in Charlottesville, Virginia

71 months ago

Check the North Carolina Society for Cytotechnology. I think they have a few jobs in North Carolina they told us about in a meeting the other week. Virginia does not have a society unfortunately.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

jennidalton83 in Cleveland, Ohio

71 months ago

Mindy,
I know that a lot of hospitals and labs in Ohio are on hiring holds for cytotechs, even if they need them and have listings for openings. i work at a hospital in Cleveland that desperately needs PRNs and we're in a hold for now. have you looked into the new lab in the Cincinnati area? There is a brand new lab there that had postings for techs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cytojohn@yahoo.com in New Philadelphia, Ohio

71 months ago

Mindy in Charlottesville, Virginia said: I am looking for a cytotechnologist position in Ohio at a hospital, but I have not even received a call about any of the jobs I applied to. I currently live and work in Virginia so I don't think they are even considering me. I have 8 years experience and have taken the classes for molecular Diagnostics. Any one know of any job openings or have some advice?

try www.indeed.com, put in ohio, there are jobs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cytojohn@yahoo.com in New Philadelphia, Ohio

71 months ago

try www.indeed.com in your job search, john aydt,ct(ascp)

Jan in Cincinnati, Ohio

70 months ago

There is a job opening in Cincinnati. See Career Builder.com

amphib in Columbus, Ohio

69 months ago

Mindy in Charlottesville, Virginia said: I am looking for a cytotechnologist position in Ohio at a hospital, but I have not even received a call about any of the jobs I applied to. I currently live and work in Virginia so I don't think they are even considering me. I have 8 years experience and have taken the classes for molecular Diagnostics. Any one know of any job openings or have some advice?

hi mindy , I am working in Columbus . We lost a major contract to a " reference lab " and there are at least 2 cytotechs going out . the Labcorps on the other side of town laid off 14 cytotechs , apparently without any warning , about a year ago . so the situation in Central Ohio is bleak .
amphib

MIndy in Charlottesville, Virginia

69 months ago

I was afraid of that. We are short staffed here and I haven't had much of a chance to catch up. I will keep looking. Hopefully a lot of places are putting off hiring will hire when the economy picks up a little bit.

cytojohn@yahoo.com in Dover, Ohio

69 months ago

try mercy rmc in cincinnati

Daniel Hunt in Cleveland, Ohio

68 months ago

go to University Hospitals of Cleveland website there is an opening for an On-call cytotech

cyto1

67 months ago

Good luck with cyto jobs in Virginia. Our satellite lab in Hampton, VA as well as one in Rockville, Maryland were eliminated recently by the company. Labcorp has cut 3 jobs in our area, recently-also. There are now 13 of us in the area looking for work, with little chance of finding anything.

Maria Woolery in Dover, Delaware

64 months ago

I have been looking around for a Cytotech position in places/states I would prefer to work but haven't had any luck. It might have something to do with just being a new grad. I am now desperate enough to work anywhere. Any help would be appreciated.

64 months ago

Maria Woolery in Dover, Delaware said: I have been looking around for a Cytotech position in places/states I would prefer to work but haven't had any luck. It might have something to do with just being a new grad. I am now desperate enough to work anywhere. Any help would be appreciated.

Maria, send me a resume to have on file.
I seldom hear of openings, however, when I do, I will email you the opening.

Daniel Hunt
Supervisor - Cytology

Kadi in Clarksville, Tennessee

64 months ago

Maria, if you are interested in working in the Northwest, there's an opening in Clarkston, Washington on the Idaho border. They are filling my position. You'd be the only cytotech but it is a good job. If you are REALLY interested in it, I can give you my email so I can get more information on you. I can't guarantee I could get you the job, but I may be able to up your chances of an interview. They are willing to hire new grads, as I was one when I got the job last year.

wondering in Texarkana, Texas

59 months ago

My daughter is a recent grad Cytotechnologist. Seems everwhere wants experienced personnel. How is a recent grad supposed to get experience if no one is willing to hire them.
The other question is - a couple have set up internet interviews and them never called or contacted back, no word such as we filled the position sorry or anything else. Pretty piss poor managerial operations IMHO or is that just the piss poor caliber of people we have in the US business world today? No wonder we have an economy as it is.
Pardon my intrusion in this area.

Katie in Charleston, West Virginia

55 months ago

I am currently looking for a cytotech job in and around Lynchburg, Roanoke, Charlottesville and possibly Richmond Virginia. If anyone could help or know of any openings please let me know. I have been on all the job sites but I am not having any luck.
Thanks

happily former screener in Westborough, Massachusetts

55 months ago

10 years ago she could have gone wherever she wanted as a cytotech. there are lots of experienced techs out of work, so employers can play with that to their advantage. she will just have to beat the pavement-------i advise her to IMMEDIATELY build on her BS degree, go for Masters in SOMETHING. clinging to one's cytology credentials exclusively is standing on very thin ice, even more so as time elapses. cytology is slowly but surely going the way of the LP...and the CD.......that can be corroborated by anybody who has been in the field for awhile.

happily former screener in Westborough, Massachusetts

55 months ago

look at this, people reaching all over the country for cytology jobs. day and night compared to a decade ago. Used to be you could choose the state, now the state chooses you if it chooses at all. techs present and past, you have to look out for yourselves and get into something with some future. or even some present..........

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mindy in Cary, North Carolina

55 months ago

Katie in Charleston, West Virginia said: I am currently looking for a cytotech job in and around Lynchburg, Roanoke, Charlottesville and possibly Richmond Virginia. If anyone could help or know of any openings please let me know. I have been on all the job sites but I am not having any luck.
Thanks

There will be a job in charlottesville opening up soon at UVA......

Katie in Charleston, West Virginia

55 months ago

Mindy in Cary, North Carolina said: There will be a job in charlottesville opening up soon at UVA......

Thank you for the heads up. I really appreciated it.

Professor Positive in Las Vegas, Nevada

55 months ago

Anyone hear any information regarding the sale of Westcliff Labs in So.Cal to LabCorp? I think they have a lot of Cytos there, but the lab was losing a lot of money. I am wondering if they will stay open or fall by the wasteside. That would be a lot of unemployed Cytos in the Los Angeles area to add to the growing number of recent layoffs.
Any one know if Quest is hiring Cytos?
Looks like the same problems are going on all over the country in cytology. Sad state.

Sam Kaiserblade in Venice, Florida

55 months ago

I think the sale went through. There were some motions filed by Specialty labs but I believe those have been resolved. The Westcliff website says the employees are happy about the sale.... I highly doubt that. I am sure they will lay off a lot of people or close the cytology department entirely. They do that at every place they take over, even successful cytology labs that are making money. The lab industry is a mess. The only branch of medicine where you get referrals based on how much profit you are willing to share with others. As long as that is allowed to continue, you will see more and more labs going by the wasteside.

Professor Positive in Las Vegas, Nevada

55 months ago

Westcliff filed for Chapter 11 bankrupcy, and had $13 million in losses in 2009 and $84 million in 2008 (see www.g2reports.com)

I am unsure of this, but if a bigger lab buys a smaller one that files for bankrupcy and later decides to close it, do all the employees get any severance package? Or are they all S.O.L? Of all the Cytos that say they were layed off when their lab was bought, no one has ever said if they were compensated in any way. JUst curious.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

glad to be a former tech in Westborough, Massachusetts

54 months ago

there is not much of a learning curve in cytology, although the stagnant cytology squatters would love you to believe otherwise even though they cannot qualify or quantify it. we had a new hire a few years ago who after just a few weeks was every bit as good as any of us who had been techs for 5---10---15 years.

54 months ago

You need to find a job former tech, any luck?

former tech in Westborough, Massachusetts

54 months ago

no, cytology jobs are dried up as we all know. but ive seen this coming (in addition to the fact i never wanted to do this lifelong) and have been working on credentials for another field. One with a future, Gee, one with a PRESENT for that matter.

54 months ago

Yea, people gotta move if they wanna stay in the field. I wouldn't buy a house if I was a new tech cause no lab is stable. The crappy labs constantly low balling each other to steal business or getting exclusivity deals with managed care. The patients are the ultimate loser because their history gets scattered about at many institutions. History is vital in evaluating a specimen but doctors and insurance dont care. The more I think about it, I'd like to see the whole insurance industry go away. Turn it into "pay for service" and then labs can market direct to consumer. Let patients make decisions for themselves instead of doctors, government and insurance companies.

54 months ago

Looks like Westcliff was one of the sponsors of the bill in California (SB 1351) to increase workload using the imager, along with CYTYC and some others. Probably a good thing that lab went under afterall. It was karma. Hopefully the other sponsors of the bill will have a similar fate.

former screener in Westborough, Massachusetts

54 months ago

where is suzanne ?? It sucks without her.

54 months ago

thought she went back to nature, whatever that means. maybe she saw the movie Into the Wild and is living in a bus in Alaska. gonna go in smoothie buisness with her?

54 months ago

suzanne will be treated with dignity and respect in this forum or so help me God I will have Barack Obama close down this website faster than you can say atypical squamous cells of undetermined significance.

54 months ago

:)

54 months ago

:)

54 months ago

Dems like obama are so much more educated than republicans as she pointed out. I laughed for days after reading that. I guess I will never understand sheep that blindly follow anything or anyone. I am still waiting on a sales rep to drop by (hologic maybe) that is selling a smoothie machine since she said that is what techs will be doing in the future.

If obama wanted to get health care costs down so bad, why in the world is there nothing in the bill to do just that? Seems like one EASY thing to do to get costs down is to eliminate "client billing" and "fee spliting" and the all the unethical billing practices that occur daily within the lab industry. All it does is cause doctors to order unnecessary tests so they can pocket the money.

Labness in Davis, California

54 months ago

Sam Kaiserblade in Venice, Florida said: Looks like Westcliff was one of the sponsors of the bill in California (SB 1351) to increase workload using the imager, along with CYTYC and some others. Probably a good thing that lab went under afterall. It was karma. Hopefully the other sponsors of the bill will have a similar fate.

LabCorp just completed the purchase of Westcliff, and Westcliff is actually alive and strong now because of LabCorp. They intend to keep the main facility open and increase testing there. The lab did not go under after all, so watch what you say.

54 months ago

the proof is in the forum. if you look back through the months and even years of entries on this site, from people all over the country, with differing levels of experience, the conclusions about this field are easy to draw. dont delude yourself---LISTEN to the people who have been doing the job............

54 months ago

Westcliff isnt alive and strong, Labcorp is. Westcliff was losing tons of money after they merged with a competitor in the area. You can read all about it in the new issue of the Dark Report. Westcliff was one of the sponsors of the bill in California to increase cytotech workload using the imager so I doubt many cytotechs are upset.

I have yet to see Labcorp take over a lab and not slash and burn. They either close departments completely or lay off half the staff and reduce the remaining tech's hours. Cytology is always on their chopping block since turnaround time and specimen integrity arent a concern. They have locations all over so its easy to just route stuff other places. Their goal is to consolidate as much as possible.

I noticed Labcorp is taking over DCL labs in Indianapolis right now. DCL is infamous for causing the GYN proficiency test that we all love so much. I have to admit, that take over kind of made me happy except for the techs that work there. DCL is just a pap mill that acts like it is more than what it actually is.

Labness in Davis, California

54 months ago

Actually, Westcliff just had $50 million in debt after their merger with Healthline labs. There revenue was $97 million in 2009 so if it wasn't for the debt, they would be profitable. Westcliff's new name is LabWest, and it will continue to stay open in the future. No doubt there might be some layoffs in different departments, but that doesn't mean LabWest will close down.

Cytotech is a dying field anyway. You all should have been CLSs, which gives you the versatility to adapt to a changing lab environment by allowing you to enter into different specialties of laboratory testing that are becoming more needed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

CLS has a cloudy future as well. None of those projections about the number of lab workers needed in the future are right. Managed care cuts, lab consolidations, technology are all going to significantly reduce the number of workers. Most diagnostics will be done at the bedside, no need to send anything to a lab. CLS and CT are still decent options if you are a bio major and just want to get some quick training and get out into the workforce. Long term, no way would I recommend either.

53 months ago

triangle.bizjournals.com/triangle/stories/2010/07/12/daily31.html

Goodbye DCL. Too bad you didnt get bought out before you caused the GYN proficiency test

Stacey Manring

31 months ago

Mindy in Charlottesville, Virginia said: I am looking for a cytotechnologist position in Ohio at a hospital , but I have not even received a call about any of the jobs I applied to. I currently live and work in Virginia so I don't think they are even considering me. I have 8 years experience and have taken the classes for molecular Diagnostics. Any one know of any job openings or have some advice?

I am also looking for a cytotech position in Ohio. I have had no luck either. I have heard that when human resources go through our resumes and applications they are scanned by a program they use first. Every blank has to be filled out even if it is required or not, a cover sheet must be attached, and references or the scanner will throw it out before it even gets reviewed. I know with all the schools that have shut down and the retiring, there should be positions soon.

jennidalton83 in Cleveland, Ohio

25 months ago

Stacey Manring said: I am also looking for a cytotech position in Ohio. I have had no luck either. I have heard that when human resources go through our resumes and applications they are scanned by a program they use first. Every blank has to be filled out even if it is required or not, a cover sheet must be attached, and references or the scanner will throw it out before it even gets reviewed. I know with all the schools that have shut down and the retiring, there should be positions soon.

Stacey, are you still looking? My coworker is relocating in a few weeks, so we will be needing to fill his position. The hospital I work at is near Cleveland, Oh. I can get you more info if you are itnerested once the position is posted.

25 months ago

Stacey Manring said: I am also looking for a cytotech position in Ohio. I have had no luck either. I have heard that when human resources go through our resumes and applications they are scanned by a program they use first. Every blank has to be filled out even if it is required or not, a cover sheet must be attached, and references or the scanner will throw it out before it even gets reviewed. I know with all the schools that have shut down and the retiring, there should be positions soon.

Stacey,
I have found that in dealing with Human Resources to find Cytotechnologist, it is a better route to contact the supervisor of the Cytology department and ask if you can send your resume directly to them. The skill sets of Cytotechnologist today are expanding and a supervisor can approach their Human Resource Department more effectively on behalf of the applicant.
Daniel

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.