Can not find a job

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (49)

Kim

83 months ago

I reciently just spent close to $2500 to take a 10 week class for dental assisting. I was told there was a great demand for us. But I have been done with school since june, I have sent out 50 or more resumes and have gone on 2 interviews. I really enjoyed school and I am sure that I would love my job as an assistant if I could magicly have 2 years experence. How do I get any experence if I can't even get my foot in anyones door? Please send some words of encouragment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kayce in Fort Worth, Texas

83 months ago

To get some experience you may want to consider temping through a temp agency or to volunteer at a free dental clinic. Not only will you be helping others who really need the dental treatment and can't afford it but will give you great experience with different doctors and it will look GREAT on a resume'!! Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Meg in Port Orange, Florida

83 months ago

Kim said: I reciently just spent close to $2500 to take a 10 week class for dental assisting. I was told there was a great demand for us. But I have been done with school since june, I have sent out 50 or more resumes and have gone on 2 interviews. I really enjoyed school and I am sure that I would love my job as an assistant if I could magicly have 2 years experence. How do I get any experence if I can't even get my foot in anyones door? Please send some words of encouragment.

What school was it that you attended? I'm looking for that same 10 week course for that much money, and can no longer find the ad. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

wendy in Powder Springs, Georgia

82 months ago

Kim said: I reciently just spent close to $2500 to take a 10 week class for dental assisting. I was told there was a great demand for us. But I have been done with school since june, I have sent out 50 or more resumes and have gone on 2 interviews. I really enjoyed school and I am sure that I would love my job as an assistant if I could magicly have 2 years experence. How do I get any experence if I can't even get my foot in anyones door? Please send some words of encouragment.

you will soon find a job i have been in dental for 8years you just need to get a in. Maybe your asking to much to start out lower what your asking so you can get a in.Or you can get a Hgy asst job that will be a in and then show them what you got. Did you extern in a office. or maybe you should get your RDA. Any way Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Brandon in Round Rock, Texas

82 months ago

hi i am thinking about going to school to be a dental assistant. i am a 23 male. do u think i can find work in a female workforce?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Meg in Port Orange, Florida

82 months ago

It is rare but I have seen this in my own workforce enviroment. i don't think it should be an issue depending on the Dr. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

josie in Lebanon, New Jersey

82 months ago

Look for the ads that say" will train", I avoid them bec. usually the pay is lower. But in your case, go for it for the sake of "experience and reference".

ANi in Los Angeles, California

80 months ago

I have an experience in dental assistant abouth 9 years but in another country now i find a dental assistant job for me.

ANi in Los Angeles, California

80 months ago

I have an experience in dental assistant abouth 9 years but in another country now i find a dental assistant job for me.

Jennifer in Fullerton, California

78 months ago

get your RDA. could be the doctor's want you licensed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

melissa in north cental indiana in Indianapolis, Indiana

78 months ago

Graduated from ivytech in august, i have my CDA, CPR certified, which means I am qualified to do everything but expanded. Its been 9 months and i cant find a job so whats wrong with me?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

melissa in north cental indiana in Indianapolis, Indiana

78 months ago

can someone please help me?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Gabbriana

78 months ago

melissa in north cental indiana in Indianapolis, Indiana said: can someone please help me?

Have you tried going through Docstaff?

www.docstaff.com/lynn-behner-in.htm

Gabbriana..

Yany in Winter Garden, Florida

78 months ago

I am working like dental assistant in Florida since 2 years ago. I will move to NJ. How much can I make, if I have just my experience for 15 years like dentist in my country, my 2 years like dental assistant in Fl, and my CPR certified ?

Katie in Converse, Indiana

76 months ago

melissa in north cental indiana in Indianapolis, Indiana said: Graduated from ivytech in august, i have my CDA, CPR certified, which means I am qualified to do everything but expanded. Its been 9 months and i cant find a job so whats wrong with me?[/QUOTE

I'm no expert but take the 8 week course and do expanded the more you can do the better. Plus it would be a pay raise!!
good luck!

YANY in Winter Garden, Florida

76 months ago

I will mmove to NJ, Where is the best place for that course? 8 weeks expanded functions?

Thanks

chell377 in Columbus, Indiana

76 months ago

I graduated from Ivy Tech and did on site dental training. I have never been able to look for a full time job with being in school for Hygiene but I did go through a temp service that gave me great opportunities and was well worth it. Def try temp agencies, there are a few in Indianapolis.

cristic0713 in Manahawkin, New Jersey

76 months ago

YANY in Winter Garden, Florida said: I will mmove to NJ, Where is the best place for that course? 8 weeks expanded functions?

Thanks

Call dental assistant services in farmingdale, nj. The owner was my teacher (gail scarola) very knowledgeable and friendly. She does offer expanded function classes too. Not sure of the phone # but you and google them and there website should come up. Hope this helps!

Lesia L. in Baltimore, Maryland

76 months ago

I also spent several thousand dollars on Dental Assistant School. I successfully passed every class and studied in a dental setting. I received my RHS/CPR certification and feel like I have been some what looked over after going on several interviews, especially at a pediatrics office where everyone there was newly hired. One assistant was hired two days before my interview without Xray certification. The offfice manager did'nt remember calling me in for an interview and did'nt give me a return call until a week later but was supposed to have called me the next day,"I was very dissapointed". I've worked as an assistant years ago and understand so much has changed that is why I went back to school. I'm very frustrated because the jobs ask for a recent grad than on the interview they expect you to perform as though you have a doctors degree.

ebony moore in Cartersville, Georgia

76 months ago

hey whats the name of the school that you went to to become a dental assistant.

Yany in Paterson, New Jersey

76 months ago

Thanks cristic0713 for your help.

Emily Bardney in Jackson, Mississippi

76 months ago

Yeah! Keep your head up and someone will notice you and may be the best job you ever had. I'm just starting my education as an dental assistant. I really hope by the time I'm done, I will find a good job. Best of luck!!!!

LIsa

76 months ago

YANY in Winter Garden, Florida said: I will mmove to NJ, Where is the best place for that course? 8 weeks expanded functions?

Thanks

Try University of Medical and dentistry in NJ, I think they offer the expanded functions class.

gus in Canyon Lake, Texas

76 months ago

the army has DA jobs, and they would LOVE u for having gone to school first. they will give u a bonus because u already know the trade i know u porbably wont like this. but alot of poeple have to join the army to get there exp in the field they whent to school for. just spend 2yers in there and u will get any DA job over anyone els that has two OR 5 yers exp in the civie world..jobs always pic people thats been in the army.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

barbara in Norcross, Georgia

76 months ago

go back to school and take your pre-req. for dental hygiene, you will make more money and be more in demand.
i have been assisting for almost 40 years and it is only because of the money that i stay in the biz. my back and neck are chronically injured. the best of luck to you always.!!

Tys Nana in Edmond, Oklahoma

76 months ago

40 years in the biz... I understand you must be tired...
Hats off to you!
Check out my website... yu most likely have heard of us being in the Dental biz that long.
Patty.ourperfectbusiness.com

elaine in Greenwood, Indiana

75 months ago

i'm seriously looking into this DA field...what can i expect? right now i'm working at a bank part-time and i'm looking for something more challenging, an actual skill...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Michelle in Denver, Colorado

75 months ago

I also finished a nine month DA course, after spending 8 years at a bank. I only been out for 2 months but it's feels like I will never get my foot in the door. I really would like to get into oral surgery. Any advice?

Rachael in Indianapolis, Indiana

75 months ago

I'm going to Kaplan College in Indianapolis, Indiana. I graduate in January with My CDA. Then i'm going to enroll in the 10-week Degree Program. I'm also doing a 2 month externiship with two different offices from November to the end of Dec. Then i'll graduate, but I've been told that this college will help you get a job, and with all the education they said not to take anything under 15$ without the degree. With the degree they say not to accept anything under 20. Hopefully i can find a job here in Indiana but it looks like alot of people are having problems. I'm just hoping that when i go on my externships i will get hired. they say that alot of students who go on their jobs get offers from that dental office. I think its a great program, but I just hope i wont have trouble getting in the door, because it's like paying for some education you can't even use.

camalitta in Toronto canada in Toronto, Ontario

66 months ago

I graduatsd 5yrs ago from George Brown college as a Dental Assistant level ll. I worked for one yr and went on matt leave. I did not get my job back because the employer did not think it was good for him to keep changing assistants. Since then he has changed so many assistants but fefused to give me my old job back. He told me is was cost efficient to hire someone with no dental background and train them for $10-$11 per hr than to hire me. He said that is what he has been doing for the last 20 yrs or so. It just begs the question, why are we going to dental school if dentist prefers non experience people to work?. I was shocked because I thought, I cannot do PSw without a certificate who would hire me or got to a hospital or doctor's office to asked for nursing job they will spit in my face. So can someone please tell me why are the qualify assistants not getting the job they studied for, and why are non qualify people are preforming level ll duties on patients. I think DENTISTRY need to be regulated by the board because dentist are doing their own thing which is an ACT OF OMISSION.

newrda

65 months ago

I graduated from remington college in September, 2008, I still have had no luck at finding a RDA job, my resume has been posted all over the job sites, I have tried so hard. My student lones are due, my husband may loose his job, and I barely make over minimum wage. I worked very hard at remington, and made very good grades with awards, I feel like my time was wasted, and now I have to pay loans I can't afford. Every body wants expierience, but no one will even give me a chance. It's not fair!

Signed, very discouraged

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

toothdoc in Louisville, Kentucky

65 months ago

melissa in north cental indiana in Indianapolis, Indiana said: can someone please help me?

You have to be more "aggressive" in your job search techniques. Look for offices that use non-traditional ads, like radio, TV and direct mailers in your area. Cold call them. Drop off a resume and ask to see the Office Manager (dentist is usually, and hopefully is, busy). Let them know a little about you and how you can help the office.

Tell them you are willing to take a lower salary for 4 to 6 weeks (a training wage) to get your foot in the door. You can re-eval at the end of that period and either: 1. go on your way 2. get a pay raise and stay on as an employeee

Good luck. Times are tough for everyone, not just in the medical fields.

Christophe in Camarillo, California

64 months ago

Well im encouraged and discouraged at the same time after reading all this and about 100 other blogs. Im pretty concerned about attending school and being stuck without work after. The market seems viable here in southern California but you never know how things will progress...

Heres what im really bothered with, first off im a man which seems like there arent alot of us in this field but that could also be a good thing from what ive read, im also secure with my sexuality so I dont need to go blurting out "im not gay" like someone did here or elsewhere, haha who says that over a career choice?!

My other concern is the fact that im an ex tattoo artist and well the inevitable happened, i got tattoed haha imagine that, BUT when i have a long sleeve shirt on you cant tell ive been under the needle before no neck or hands stuff here. The Doctor I will be working with while training said it isnt an issue as long as i remain covered and well she reassured me by saying they also provide lab coats or jackets so im always able to be covered? Thoughts on this?

So heres number three, what do you guys think about 10 week classes? The general take is that they are informal and not very good for being prepared for work. This place in San Diego where i would be going is an actual practice with limited student space, we train every saturday and during the week work a 4 hour paid shift at the practice with the same doctors training you on the weekend. Its state of the art facility is professional and well in beautiful SD. They also include my x ray cert, cpr and train me to do coronal and other practices. Does this sound like your better than average school? Running me 3500.00 buxs for this, worth it?

Thanks for the help guys this could very well help determine if I follow through with school, i have financing, now its a matter of DO or DONT!?

Smile for me. in Boca Raton, Florida

62 months ago

Kim said: I reciently just spent close to $2500 to take a 10 week class for dental assisting. I was told there was a great demand for us. But I have been done with school since june, I have sent out 50 or more resumes and have gone on 2 interviews. I really enjoyed school and I am sure that I would love my job as an assistant if I could magicly have 2 years experience. How do I get any experience if I can't even get my foot in anyone's door? Please send some words of encouragement.

I am having the same problem but my circumstance is the opposite of yours, I worked 9 yrs at an Endo office and one year general, but I have on the job training and did not go to school. ( however, I will be getting my expanded functions cert. this weekend.) But I must say, working in an office hands-on is totally different then school. You have to factor in who you will be working for- and the girls you will be working with, as well. I have had great experiences with the girls, but have friends that experience girls sabotaging her stuff so they could get her in trouble, some girls are ruthless! (My friend is an excellent assistant as well.) The dentist aren't always respectful either, so I hope you have tough skin. On the other hand some dentist are fantastic, but they usually keep their girls and are usually Not hiring. ( Watch out for the dentist that have high turn over, because there is a reason that they are always looking for girls.)

The schools are saying there is a demand for dental assistants, but I think they are fibbing, so you will take the course. According to most dentist this is the slowest they have seen. I live in Florida, which is worse because we are not in " Season " so it makes it hard to find work.

I am not sure how you can develop experience, maybe if you volunteer, and temp agencies normally want someone with experience too.

I hope someone gives you a shot!
I wish you luck, but its a dog-eat-dog-world out there.

K-

62 months ago

gus in Canyon Lake, Texas said: the army has DA jobs, and they would LOVE u for having gone to school first. they will give u a bonus because u already know the trade i know u porbably wont like this. but alot of poeple have to join the army to get there exp in the field they whent to school for. just spend 2yers in there and u will get any DA job over anyone els that has two OR 5 yers exp in the civie world..jobs always pic people thats been in the army.

That is very true! But, what if you are in your 30's, do you think the army is a good choice for that age group. How are the dentist in the army, are they mean.

K

62 months ago

melissa in north cental indiana in Indianapolis, Indiana said: Graduated from ivytech in august, i have my CDA, CPR certified, which means I am qualified to do everything but expanded. Its been 9 months and i cant find a job so whats wrong with me?

You should get the expanded, that's what most dentist look for these days.
As long as you can make a good temp and work well with their patients, but it's
so competitive in the field... GOOD Luck! :)

deanna in Parrish, Florida

60 months ago

Has anyone gone to DATSflorida.com in Bradenton or Tampa. For 2500 they train you in 9 weeks. I cant find any information of this company and was wondeing if it is legit. thank you

DentalGuru2009 in Genoa City, Wisconsin

59 months ago

Surprised at the amount of all the "formally" trained DA's on here. I've been assisting for 15+ yrs, and never went to school for it . But I feel I know more than any assistant I've ever worked with in all my yrs.
I've been really taught well by doc's in the past. One in particular taught me in great detail that I was to be his literal 'second pair of hands'. I fixed all the dentures, crowns, designed cast partial clasps,dentures adj. made retainers,delivering crn/brg etc...not to mention basic chairside stuff.

Though I can do so much - I still have guilt that I don't even have my certification.
Should I forget it? What's the point now in it? I am heading back into dentistry now after being home some yrs with raising babies.

tlyles in Rancho Cucamonga, California

58 months ago

Hi,

I certainly understand how you feel, unlike you I have dental experience however I have not worked in the field since 1999 and have no recent experience. I am interested in getting back into the field so I decided I am going to volunteer on the weekends until I get up to speed. That might be something you may want to think about. There are a lot of opportunities out there and some advertise willing to train. Go to dentalpost.net , Good luck and don't give up!!!

tlyles in Rancho Cucamonga, California

58 months ago

Hi,

I certainly understand how you feel, unlike you I have dental experience however I have not worked in the field since 1999 and have no recent experience. I am interested in getting back into the field so I decided I am going to volunteer on the weekends until I get up to speed. That might be something you may want to think about. There are a lot of opportunities out there and some advertise willing to train. Go to dentalpost.net , Good luck and don't give up!!!

michelle3838 in Indianapolis, Indiana

48 months ago

Trying call Dr. Gary L. LLEWELLYN, D.D.S. at three one seven two nine one seven five five zero.

michelle3838 in Indianapolis, Indiana

48 months ago

This dentist is hiring. GARY L. LLEWELLYN, D.D.S. at three one seven two nine one seven five five zero.

jgolladay in Kokomo, Indiana

44 months ago

Lesia L. in Baltimore, Maryland said: I also spent several thousand dollars on Dental Assistant School. I successfully passed every class and studied in a dental setting. I received my RHS/CPR certification and feel like I have been some what looked over after going on several interviews, especially at a pediatrics office where everyone there was newly hired. One assistant was hired two days before my interview without Xray certification. The offfice manager did'nt remember calling me in for an interview and did'nt give me a return call until a week later but was supposed to have called me the next day,"I was very dissapointed". I've worked as an assistant years ago and understand so much has changed that is why I went back to school. I'm very frustrated because the jobs ask for a recent grad than on the interview they expect you to perform as though you have a doctors degree.

i FEEL YOU ON THAT i GRADUATED 98% IN MY CLASS WITH A RHS AND I cant get a break either! I think it has become a difference of whether you have expanded functions or not!( which I was told you had to work as assistant first for one year,,well apparently not! good luck I sure need it!

timmyxr in Indianapolis, Indiana

44 months ago

jgolladay in Kokomo, Indiana said: i FEEL YOU ON THAT i GRADUATED 98% IN MY CLASS WITH A RHS AND I cant get a break either! I think it has become a difference of whether you have expanded functions or not!( which I was told you had to work as assistant first for one year,,well apparently not! good luck I sure need it!

i heard alot of students get hired on where they do there clinicals...is this not true?

DentalGURU2009 in Genoa City, Wisconsin

44 months ago

I have worked recently with 3 externs , none of which were hired by the doctor. Some were better than others but I really dont think that he had any intention of hiring any of them.
The school did ask why they were not hired even after receiving a good "review" on their papers. Not sure what his reason was- but I knew he couldnt afford them. I was pretty much in charge of training each one. This of course takes up much of my time . But there were times that it was helpful having an extra hand around also.
I felt badly when the girls were not to be hired. I am sure dissapointed they were , and they felt "led on"
What can I do..?

jsallen30 in Indianapolis, Indiana

37 months ago

Its been almost a year since dental assistant school I have had 11 interviews and job I feel like it was just a waste of money

pearl777 in Griffin, Georgia

26 months ago

I have been in the Dental Field for 20 years and have my COA,CDA, Expanded, and a 4 year degree in healthcare Administration : I was in the Army for 2 years in Augusta GA and my family moved to Griffin GA ; I have been looking for a Dental job for over 7 months and still cant find a job. I have gone on only 5 interviews and have applied to jobs that are 50 miles away with no luck. Employers may think Im overqualifed; But I dont want to downsize my resume because its not being truthful. Im at a loss. I think its the economy. My daughter wanted to be a Dental Assistant and I told her NO; because I think the industry is too crowded and GA has so many technical colleges with hundreds of students without work. We just need more Dr.s I suppose. My husband tells me to change careers; but its hard to start all over at age 41. I need advice.

Mech-Phree in Chicago, Illinois

26 months ago

Sure you can get the job, but what they never tell you is that all the jobs will require 2 to 3 years + experience and i'm not even talking about the dental field.

In my field (environmental remediation and hazardous waste) I have 12 license and certificates but I got close to zero responses when faxing in resumes, applying for apps and whatnot. Almost every job I ran across wanted experience. Just stay adamant though and you'll find something.

kee in Sun City Center, Florida

15 months ago

I'm in the same boat...it's been over a year since I finished school, and still no job. No one will give me a chance.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.