10 week programs vs. 10 month program

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 55)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

papillonlover in Richmond, Virginia

52 months ago

CDA with no experience start at 15 a hour. DA who are not certified make low as 8-10.

School is worth it plus when you show up with a CDA after your name the doctor knows he getting a professional who is continuing their education not a person off the street who just paid another DDS thousands of dollars to play in the office.

Some states like CA, OH, NY,FL require you to be a RHA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

candace rayburn in Pearland, Texas

52 months ago

do yall know a short course in houston tx???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

labnjab in Rochester, New Hampshire

46 months ago

I took a 10 week course almost a year ago and still havent found a job yet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

kokosspot in San Jacinto, California

44 months ago

Julie in Hemet, California said: Who cares...If I can get the same position as you without the time and $$ spent, then hurrah for me...Miss big difference. Some of us do not have the time and money to spend when changing careers.

HI, I am also gettin ready to attend schooling in Hemet. Can you tell me did you learn coronal polishing. And also have you found work yet.?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jess in San Francisco, California

44 months ago

I personally found that my quick pace 10 month program was almost too short and I went 4 days a week. They already cram so much information to get you out in 10 months that I couldn't imagine how much important stuff would be left out if it were only a 10 week deal. I have never meet anyone that has gone through a 10 week program so I am not very useful here.

Also keep in mind if taking this quick program would be helpful in landing a job. It is difficult finding a job right when you graduate already and I'm not sure if a 10 week program would be look at differently or not. Just know it is a lot of information, and it is important to learn as much as you can in school to get some lead.

Best of luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

kim from new jersey in Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania

43 months ago

I am mine in New Jersey said: Hi all!

I am looking at different schools in my area for Dental Assisting. There is one school with a 10 month program which looks good but is quite expensive. There is another that's more reasonable that teaches you the basics and is only 10 weeks long (1 time a week). I was wondering if anyone has any experience with attending a short term program such as a 10 week course? Any feedback is appreciated. Please keep the comments of "Don't go into Dental Assisting" to yourself.

Thank you! :)

where did u find the 10 week prgram at i been looking ALL over for that!!! please let me kno someone! ::NEW jersey:: and if it doesnt come with radiology i would just go to the community college and get the x ray license seperate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

kokosspot in San Jacinto, California

43 months ago

Not in jersey, Im in California

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kim in Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania

43 months ago

found one anyway but thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

KME in Boston, Massachusetts

41 months ago

[I looked into both for my daughter, she ended up doing the ten week in Alaska, we live in NH. Neither class would have gotten her Xray certified. She did that in two days at BU. She got a job a few weeks after she moved back to NH and has been there since (15 months). Her friend just finished the 10 month one and didnt learn much more than she did. She had a lot of take home studying to do and interned in an office in Alaska.

QUOTE who="I am mine in New Jersey"]Hi all!

I am looking at different schools in my area for Dental Assisting. There is one school with a 10 month program which looks good but is quite expensive. There is another that's more reasonable that teaches you the basics and is only 10 weeks long (1 time a week). I was wondering if anyone has any experience with attending a short term program such as a 10 week course? Any feedback is appreciated. Please keep the comments of "Don't go into Dental Assisting" to yourself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

I went to a 10 week course and it was great. I learned a lot but I did graduate in Jan of 2010 and I have still not found a job yet.

Most of the the 10 week courses that I know of teach the basics which is good but they don't teach you how to take x-rays and at least in nh you need 400 hours of chairside assisting time before you can go and get x-ray certification

Im not sure if it is the same down in Mass but if it is you probably will have a easier time finding a job where you are since there are so many dental offices down there.

If you can afford it it would be a great thing to do just wanted to warn you that it may take you awhile to find a job and you may have to go and take extra classes before you will get hired that's at least what I am dealing with.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

March 2010 not Jan

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

dawn in Gloucester City, New Jersey

41 months ago

kim in Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania said: not sure if my reply went through so just incase once more i would LOVE and MUST kno where in new jersey that 10 week program for dental assisting is?!!?!?!?!

I am starting a 8-10 week program at ASI in burlington NJ on Monday Aug,8th.I have to admit I am a lil skeptical sfter reading some of these posts about the amount of time needed,but we really do not have any accredited programs in our area.I have to believe alot of it would depend on the person and how professional they appear.my daughter was told to not do the LPN program and she has landed great jobs and done very well for herself.I have never,nor do I intend to work for 8-10 dollars an hour.especially after any type of training.I have seen ads and my own dentist was looking for a DA for 17 an hour.its up to the person to try and learn as much as they can,be the most professional they can be and work the 2 years required here in nj if the program wasn't accredited and then go sit for the CDA test.the way I look at it is,I would have been in the 2 year college program anyway,not making anything at all.just do the best you can with the situation and it will work out fine.good luck to all and take care

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

biddi in Desoto, Texas

40 months ago

does any one know of a short dental assistant program in dallas tx

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Maria in Darby, Pennsylvania

39 months ago

kim from new jersey in Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania said: where did u find the 10 week prgram at i been looking ALL over for that!!! please let me kno someone! ::NEW jersey:: and if it doesnt come with radiology i would just go to the community college and get the x ray license seperate.

Hi ASI Burlinton NJ...* weeks with Radiology...just checked it out..$4000, was wondering if it was reputable

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Maria in Darby, Pennsylvania

39 months ago

dawn in Gloucester City, New Jersey said: I am starting a 8-10 week program at ASI in burlington NJ on Monday Aug,8th.I have to admit I am a lil skeptical sfter reading some of these posts about the amount of time needed,but we really do not have any accredited programs in our area.I have to believe alot of it would depend on the person and how professional they appear.my daughter was told to not do the LPN program and she has landed great jobs and done very well for herself.I have never,nor do I intend to work for 8-10 dollars an hour.especially after any type of training.I have seen ads and my own dentist was looking for a DA for 17 an hour.its up to the person to try and learn as much as they can,be the most professional they can be and work the 2 years required here in nj if the program wasn't accredited and then go sit for the CDA test.the way I look at it is,I would have been in the 2 year college program anyway,not making anything at all.just do the best you can with the situation and it will work out fine.good luck to all and take care

Hi Dawn...just found this site...I am from Vineland NJ...I just checked out ASI, for the dental assisting program in Burlington NJ, this will be their second graduating class( max. 8 students)...If I sign up, I will be in the class in two months, were you happy with the course?....I was in an industry for 26 years/ layed off, looking for new career. Longer programs are not available, and ASI has programs every few months.....not accredited, was just concerned on your thoughts...thank you for your time!...all the best, Maria

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

katrina in Derry, New Hampshire

36 months ago

labnjab in Rochester, New Hampshire said: I took a 10 week course almost a year ago and still havent found a job yet.

is there any 10 or 12 week dental assistant programs in either nh or ma?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

martigirl in Rochester, New Hampshire

35 months ago

labnjab in Rochester, New Hampshire said: I took a 10 week course almost a year ago and still havent found a job yet.

Where did you take your course. I would love to take a 10 week course. I'm in Farmington,NH

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

jen in Augusta, Maine

35 months ago

Henniker in Hillsborough, New Hampshire said: Hi Everybody, Please give me information of the school short trainning to be come dental assistant. I want to attend that course asap. Thanks.

i dont know about new hampshire, but I am taking a 10 week course in South Portland Maine. its called The Dental Career Institute. its definately overpriced ($3800) but its the only school in my area and doesnt accept financial aid. i wish i was in your areas because i would prefer to attend the seacoast career school in manchester, nh

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kjewels2 in Houston, Texas

35 months ago

candace rayburn in Pearland, Texas said: do yall know a short course in houston tx???

Yes there is one called Houston Dental Assistant School. There are two locations. One in Katy and the other is located in THe Woodlands. I will starting March 31. Your should look them up the site is hdas.biz.
Hope this helps!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

35 months ago

I took mine in Concord NH but its closed down now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

salemgurl in Saint Louis, Missouri

35 months ago

I congratulate all those taking the step to become Dental Assistants!

Before you enroll in your program...send out as many letters as possibe to EVERY DENTAL practice letting them know you are going to school and you are seeking to "SHADOW" a Dental Assistant. Then once you take your course, IMMEDIATELY go and get your certification Radiology Certification for the Dental Assistant.

10 week program and then a weekend program for the radiology cert and I'm working!!!

DO NOT BE LAZY! Dental Assistants CAN NOT be lazy.

I work with women who have taken months to become a D.A. and they are have been the biggest egomaniacs and not good at taking x-rays, etc.

Now, do have one step above 10-week dental assistants...they ARE eligible to do the DANB and you will not be UNLESS your school is certified on the DANB list. Check with DANB.

And they can take tests to do the Expanded Functions and you will not be (UNLESS your school is on the DANB list).

So, there are some fall backs to the 10 week programs!!!

Don't forget to get your CPR Certification and GOOD LUCK to all.

Familia Dental is hiring!!!
(they just opened 7 locations in New Mexico and opening 6 new locations in Colorado)

WALMART is now opening Dental offices!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

msmith in Houston, Texas

35 months ago

candace rayburn in Pearland, Texas said: do yall know a short course in houston tx???

astrodome carreer centers

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mike486 in Marietta, Georgia

31 months ago

The CDA after your name means nothing to a prospective employer. I am a dentist in Atlanta and DANB's "CDA" title gets you nada....it's how you perform during the working interview. CDA just means you passed a written test, which, BTW, anyone can take after working 2-3 months in a dental office.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Salemgurl in Saint Louis, Missouri

31 months ago

dentalgurl in Saint Louis, Missouri said: I finished a 10-week course 3 months ago with no luck in locating work yet.

How are you that finished your 10-week course work doing?

Have you found employment?

Was it easy? Did it take long?
Did you have to do a working interview?

I found work...took a year. Worked for a year with Familial Dental. Then found another job. But the majority of Dental assistant jobs require you to be "registered" or "certified" through an DANB school program. Especially the military.

Salemgurl in Saint Louis, Missouri

31 months ago

Mike486 in Marietta, Georgia said: The CDA after your name means nothing to a prospective employer. I am a dentist in Atlanta and DANB's "CDA" title gets you nada....it's how you perform during the working interview. CDA just means you passed a written test, which, BTW, anyone can take after working 2-3 months in a dental office .

Not true! Those acronyms carry ALOT of weight.

If a dental office says they seek those credentials ...you better know they truly are not playing around (lest you get caught lying) and you can NOT take a test to get DAB
DANB accreditation if your school is not on the Accreditation lists for Dental Assistants.

This DOES NOT mean you can't find employment as a Dental Assistant, it just means you will have to look a bit harder to find an office or firm that is more lax.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mike486 in Acworth, Georgia

31 months ago

Salemgurl in Saint Louis, Missouri said: Not true! Those acronyms carry ALOT of weight.

If a dental office says they seek those credentials ...you better know they truly are not playing around (lest you get caught lying) and you can NOT take a test to get DAB
DANB accreditation if your school is not on the Accreditation lists for Dental Assistants.QUOTE]

Oooooo....the DANB Police will come after you if you're fibbing!!! Look, I've been a dentist for 30 years in Atlanta and none of my colleagues give a hoot about DANB "Certified" status. If you can do the job in a working interview, you've got the job. Period.

DANB is a self-aggrandizing organization looking for legitimacy and political power for their bureaucrats in Chicago...nothing more than that. You must be a shill for DANB

mike486

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jerzeegrle in Woodbury, New Jersey

31 months ago

dawn in Gloucester City, New Jersey said: I am starting a 8-10 week program at ASI in burlington NJ on Monday Aug,8th.I have to admit I am a lil skeptical sfter reading some of these posts about the amount of time needed,but we really do not have any accredited programs in our area.I have to believe alot of it would depend on the person and how professional they appear.my daughter was told to not do the LPN program and she has landed great jobs and done very well for herself.I have never,nor do I intend to work for 8-10 dollars an hour.especially after any type of training.I have seen ads and my own dentist was looking for a DA for 17 an hour.its up to the person to try and learn as much as they can,be the most professional they can be and work the 2 years required here in nj if the program wasn't accredited and then go sit for the CDA test.the way I look at it is,I would have been in the 2 year college program anyway,not making anything at all.just do the best you can with the situation and it will work out fine.good luck to all and take care

Can you please tell me if you took the DA course at ASI in Burlington, NJ?? I am looking into it and might sign up next month, July2012...any info would be greatly appreciated.

Jerzeegrle in Woodbury, New Jersey

31 months ago

Maria in Darby, Pennsylvania said: Hi Dawn...just found this site...I am from Vineland NJ...I just checked out ASI, for the dental assisting program in Burlington NJ, this will be their second graduating class( max. 8 students)...If I sign up, I will be in the class in two months, were you happy with the course?....I was in an industry for 26 years/ layed off, looking for new career. Longer programs are not available, and ASI has programs every few months.....not accredited, was just concerned on your thoughts...thank you for your time!...all the best, Maria

Hi can you please give me any info on the ASI dental assisting school. I am thinking about signing up next month July 2012 but want to know what previous students thought of it and did they get a job?

Maria in Vineland, New Jersey

31 months ago

Hello, I just sat in on a class for the day. I decided to wait for my vo-tech in my county to have a class.
I was dissappointed in the class format.....reading OUT LOUD, taking turns from the text book. I would prefer THE TEACHER to give a lecture on the important material...I can read a book at home!
I think you will be able to get a job, but lower salary than coming out of a school that you could get immediate credentials from.....
Good luck in your school search. Maria

maria in Vineland, New Jersey

31 months ago

Mike486 in Marietta, Georgia said: Hi Maria in Vineland,

Congrats, you've just found out why most of these one year programs are so crappy, even though they are endorsed by DANB and the ADA---gee, do I smell the stink of politics here??

We have those kinds of one year programs here in Atlanta and I know from talking with other dentists, NONE of us would hire one of those grads as they are so poorly trained. "Reading out of a textbook"?? Ha, that's only the beginning. How about trying to learn how to take xrays using 1950s equipment that doesn't even work. Or taking courses like "nutrition" or math or English that don't have anything to do with dental assisting? These schools HAVE TO PAD their curriculum with lots of "fluff" to make them ONE YEAR LONG, cause that's how they qualify for GOVERNMENT AID programs. Government aid payments are the ONLY thing that keeps these schools in existance.

10-12 week programs which are taught in practicing dental offices are, by and large, excellent. You will be taught in a REAL, functioning, modern dental office with lots of hands-on experience. Anyone who tells you that the one-year "commercial" schools are better is either lying or is working for one of those schools.

Well Mike, MAybe you should get up here to teach a class, because what I witnessed was a disgrace.
No on the job training here.
Short program 2 months, old beat up equipment.
6 month program,new equipment,NO FLUFF.

Viktorias in Astoria, Oregon

30 months ago

guest in San Francisco, California said: The for profit trade schools have flooded the market with mostly unemployable dental hygenists, dental assistants, medical assistants, medical billing and coding, etc. and lure students into over $20K of student loan debt for "the booming medical field", "the booming dental field", etc. The medical and dental offices don't pay that well and certainly not well enough to pay back an over $20K student loan.

Even worse is that when a graduate of one of these for profit trade schools walk into a dental or medical office then they are often shown the door and told not to come back.

The other problem with dentistry is given the poor economy, many people have lost their dental insurance due to unemployment and no longer can afford to visit the dentist . My dentist has over 30 years experience and ALL of his staff have been with him for over 10 years so he treats his people well. Even so, he has had to cut expenses and fortunately he owns and does not rent his office. He tells me "I have never seen the dentistry field so bad. The job market is glutted beyond belief and I tell my patients if they know people thinking of becoming DHs to seriously consider doing something else."

Well. This wasn't helpful at all. Some say longer program better, others say 12 week program just good. So how does someone make a decision about what would be a best option for dental assisting? I always see posting of job looking for DA's, so obviously they're still in demand.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

salemgurl in st. louis in Elsberry, Missouri

30 months ago

Mike486 in Acworth, Georgia said:

Mike, shill??? (never heard of that term)....You mock me!

Okay, say someone say's they have the DANB certification and they are asked to present it to the dental office/firm....then what? Another example...say the dental office/firm they are with now wants them to get further training for "Extended Functions" (or whatever you call it in your state)...well, they won't be able to --- NOT RIGHT OUT OF SCHOOL! Depending on the state (Missouri has a two year policy of working as a dental assistant) in order to take the DANB test in order to apply for "Extended Functions".

So, they are then caught in a lie and fired.

You can't even become a Military/Civilian Dental Assistant if you HAVE NOT graduated from a DANB/ADA accredited/certified School.

So, you can't say I'm lying or shilling or whatever terminology you want to say....why are you as a Dentist even on this board? (are you only here to say we are ALL liars or some of us?)....you've got to be kidding.

Please, don't make light of this topic! Keep your personal comments to yourself (accreditation police) and please be professional.

salemgurl in st. louis in Elsberry, Missouri

30 months ago

Viktorias in Astoria, Oregon said: Well. This wasn't helpful at all. Some say longer program better, others say 12 week program just good. So how does someone make a decision about what would be a best option for dental assisting? I always see posting of job looking for DA's, so obviously they're still in demand.

AHHHH Good comment!

YES, Dental Assistants are still in demand...but please, open up the job posts and look at the qualifications for the jobs....MOSTLY You will notice the requirements are: Have 2 years experience, or more. Some even go as far as to say you have to have graduated from an ADA/DANB accredited Dental Assistant Program/School.

Like I mentioned 2 years ago, I graduated from a 10-week program here in St. Peters, Missouri. It took me an entire YEAR to find a Dental Assistant position. Just happened to be at a brand new dental office that was opening up various locations (Familia Dental - locations throughout the U.S.A.---new grads, they welcome you and will TRAIN you...they even accept externs!!!).

Don't make light of what they are requiring of Dental Assistants. I do believe the 10 week programs are awesome because, you learn hands on within a working dental office, and you learn from the Dental Assistants and the Dentist, using the EXACT SAME booklets/materials they use as the longer term schools/programs.

Best of luck to everyone! Remember, there are some dental offices that will hire you...I listed one that I know for sure accepts new grads and externs (so you can have hands-on training)!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

salemgurl in st. louis in Elsberry, Missouri said: AHHHH Good comment!

YES, Dental Assistants are still in demand...but please, open up the job posts and look at the qualifications for the jobs....MOSTLY You will notice the requirements are: Have 2 years experience, or more. Some even go as far as to say you have to have graduated from an ADA/DANB accredited Dental Assistant Program/School.

Like I mentioned 2 years ago, I graduated from a 10-week program here in St. Peters, Missouri. It took me an entire YEAR to find a Dental Assistant position. Just happened to be at a brand new dental office that was opening up various locations (Familia Dental - locations throughout the U.S.A.---new grads, they welcome you and will TRAIN you...they even accept externs!!!).

Don't make light of what they are requiring of Dental Assistants. I do believe the 10 week programs are awesome because, you learn hands on within a working dental office, and you learn from the Dental Assistants and the Dentist, using the EXACT SAME booklets/materials they use as the longer term schools/programs.

Best of luck to everyone! Remember, there are some dental offices that will hire you...I listed one that I know for sure accepts new grads and externs (so you can have hands-on training)!

I may have to see if we have one of those around me. I have been out of school for over 2 years and still haven't found a job anywhere, been on a few interviews here and there but I am never chosen. Every place around me that has posted a position like you mentioned always want experience etc. Hopefully I can find a office that is willing to train me because the more time that goes by the more frustrated I am becoming.

Gabby H in Warner Robins, Georgia

30 months ago

I am currently in a 10 week program it was 2400$ but i make payments. I love it you learn alot its hard work but its everything you would get in 10 months for 10 weeks and the faster u get certified the faster you get a job. Most dentist care about certification and some knowledge. I have 3 weeks left of school and already have a interview monday.They said they like someone new so they can train them their way! hope this helps!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Helen in Hawthorne, New Jersey

28 months ago

Gabby H in Warner Robins, Georgia said: I am currently in a 10 week program it was 2400$ but i make payments. I love it you learn alot its hard work but its everything you would get in 10 months for 10 weeks and the faster u get certified the faster you get a job. Most dentist care about certification and some knowledge. I have 3 weeks left of school and already have a interview monday.They said they like someone new so they can train them their way! hope this helps!

is any one was dental assistant few OR many years,in not NJ,NOW trying to working dental assisting NJ?
How to get license of NJ? OR did not have
it,still working dental assistant job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Lily in Wayne, New Jersey

22 months ago

Is anyone had been Dental Assistant in NY OR CT.., Now want to working Dental Assistant at NJ? what was your experience got DA license??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

drh20s in Athens, Georgia

22 months ago

Re: The below... DON'T waste your money on the 10-week course. And if you commit to 9+ months, please do it in a CODA-accredited program: i.e., year-long that allows for CDA-Certification upon graduation. Otherwise, if you have any moxy (and especially if you are bilingual) almost any dentist will pay YOU while you are trained. A 10-week program is really a 10-day program. Save your money. Take it from a dentist...

drh20s in Athens, Georgia

22 months ago

Mike486 in Marietta, Georgia said: Hi Maria in Vineland,

Congrats, you've just found out why most of these one year programs are so crappy, even though they are endorsed by DANB and the ADA---gee, do I smell the stink of politics here??

We have those kinds of one year programs here in Atlanta and I know from talking with other dentists, NONE of us would hire one of those grads as they are so poorly trained. "Reading out of a textbook"?? Ha, that's only the beginning. How about trying to learn how to take xrays using 1950s equipment that doesn't even work. Or taking courses like "nutrition" or math or English that don't have anything to do with dental assisting? These schools HAVE TO PAD their curriculum with lots of "fluff" to make them ONE YEAR LONG, cause that's how they qualify for GOVERNMENT AID programs. Government aid payments are the ONLY thing that keeps these schools in existance.

10-12 week programs which are taught in practicing dental offices are, by and large, excellent. You will be taught in a REAL, functioning, modern dental office with lots of hands-on experience. Anyone who tells you that the one-year "commercial" schools are better is either lying or is working for one of those schools.

Hmmmmm... Maybe you are running one of these dental assisting "mills"?!?

Belle in Trussville, Alabama

22 months ago

`

veronica g in Middlesex, New Jersey

22 months ago

They have a 10 week program in new brunswick nj. The name of the school is the new jersey school for basic dental assisting. The location is livingston ave.

kim in Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania said: not sure if my reply went through so just incase once more i would LOVE and MUST kno where in new jersey that 10 week program for dental assisting is?!!?!?!?!

lorena in Breckenridge, Michigan

21 months ago

HI veronica, how are u?
pls can u give this school number? I live in Newark and I am looking for a DA short program. I am from Brazil, I was a DA there for over 7 years. I've a lot experience and very good hands on, but in Nj we need licence and plus I need to learn the English names of the stuffs...
I've been studing English for 2 years(If I wrote something wrong here, sorry!!!) I dont know if it will be enough for taking classes, I hope so! My only complain is about to understand teacher speaking!!!

Thanks in advance!

lorena

21 months ago

I dont live in Michigan, something was wrong!

lorena

21 months ago

I dont live in Michigan... something was wrong!sorry...

Bryan in Mesa, Arizona

19 months ago

I have found the 13 week dental assistant programs in Arizona to be excellent. The students learn much more with true hands on learning by working with real patients. One school I found that is great is American Institute of Dental Assisting. www.dentalassistantschoolsaz.com

mysilverbelles in Randolph, New Jersey

17 months ago

lorena in Breckenridge, Michigan said: HI veronica, how are u?
pls can u give this school number? I live in Newark and I am looking for a DA short program. I am from Brazil, I was a DA there for over 7 years. I've a lot experience and very good hands on, but in Nj we need licence and plus I need to learn the English names of the stuffs...
I've been studing English for 2 years(If I wrote something wrong here, sorry!!!) I dont know if it will be enough for taking classes, I hope so! My only complain is about to understand teacher speaking!!!

Thanks in advance!

I agree with the prior comment if you are bi-lingual and have 7 years of assisting experience in Brazil and live in Newark area go on Craig's List and search for dental assistant willing to train. I went to a voc tech h.s 30 years ago and recently went back to work in the dental field and had a hard time finding work because I didn't speak Spanish. Also I suggest that you look for surgical assisting jobs, they some don't require a CDA or RDA only a x-ray license. Most dentist are willing to train for someone bilingual with foreign experience. They will start you off low but it is better then paying thousands for 10 week or 10 months courses and having no job when finished. Contact me for more info if you like.

JS in Spring, Texas

17 months ago

Kjewels2 in Houston, Texas said: Yes there is one called Houston Dental Assistant School. There are two locations. One in Katy and the other is located in THe Woodlands. I will starting March 31. Your should look them up the site is hdas.biz.
Hope this helps!!

Hi, I am thinking about attending Houston Dental Assistant School in The Woodlands. Did you complete the program? What did think? Was it thorough enough to pass the TSBDE exam? Did you find employment? Thanks!

careerchoices in Los Angeles, California

12 months ago

I don't recommend a short course. If you're going to pay good money (or even take out a loan), take course that will meet requirements set by your state dentistry board, or another state if you move. Find a CODA accredited course at a local community college - many have tuition as low as $2,000 for the year!

You can find CODA accredited programs in each state here: dentalassistanttrainingsite.com/dental-assistant-schools-by-state/

imcute

11 months ago

papillonlover in Richmond, Virginia said: CDA with no experience start at 15 a hour. DA who are not certified make low as 8-10.

School is worth it plus when you show up with a CDA after your name the doctor knows he getting a professional who is continuing their education not a person off the street who just paid another DDS thousands of dollars to play in the office.

Some states like CA, OH, NY,FL require you to be a RHA.

i live in the richmomnd area and there is a dental office that provides the training over a 13 week course. you do get your certification but you have to go to vcu school of dentistry to get your xray certification. the difference in me going to centura college and them is 11,500. and of course their course is 10 months is this a good deal or no.

K. Chute in Newcastle, Maine

11 months ago

I have read all these comments and unsure exactly what this course I am looking to begin in 2 weeks is going to get me. Can someone give me feedback please? Thank you. Here is the course description:

The Advanced Dental Assisting Program is designed to fast-track students toward national board certification and employment. This program includes the
following modules:

Dental Assisting Course
State of Maine WorkReady Credential training
Hands-on Dental Radiology training course
Maine State Dental Radiography Licensure preparation ($161 fee paid directly to State)
Online test preparation for Dental Assistant National Board (DANB) Radiation Health & Safety (RHS) Exam and Infection Control Exam (ICE)
Exam vouchers for DANB RHS/ICE exams
CPR & First Aid training and certification
Optional 80-hour Clinical Externship at an area dental practice
Student advising and academic support
This 250-hour comprehensive program includes classroom instruction in dental assisting, support services, and the opportunity to practice skills in a clinical setting. All aspects of employment, licensing, and board certification are covered in the Advanced Dental Assisting program. Upon completion of this program, two years of employment as a Dental Assistant, and the General Chairside (GC) exam, students will be eligible for Dental Assisting National Board certification.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.