Becoming a Dental Assistant in Georgia

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 206)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Jamie in Riverdale, Georgia

91 months ago

I've been a stay at home mom for the last 12 years and now that my children are in school its time to find a career for me. I've been looking into Dental Assisting and was hoping to find some information here. I live in Georgia...what steps do I need to take to get started? My husbands is Active Duty Military so I was also hoping that it would be relatively easy to find a job no matter where we're stationed. Any advice for someone just starting out would be greatly appreicated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Carolyn in Hamilton, Ontario

91 months ago

Jamie in Riverdale, Georgia said: I've been a stay at home mom for the last 12 years and now that my children are in school its time to find a career for me. I've been looking into Dental Assisting and was hoping to find some information here. I live in Georgia...what steps do I need to take to get started? My husbands is Active Duty Military so I was also hoping that it would be relatively easy to find a job no matter where we're stationed. Any advice for someone just starting out would be greatly appreicated!

Hi Jamie!

I would like to share my experience with you, but I'm sorry to say that it has been on the negative side. I was also a stay at home Mom for 10 years and decided to go back to work. Dental assisting sounded great to me, so after careful research there seemed to be a demand for this job in my area. The school I took my course at assured me that as a woman in my late forties, I would have absolutely no trouble getting a job due to my "maturity!". I slaved away at the school and graduated in the top 3 in my class. It took me several months to get a job, and it ended up being at a terrible place, but I hung in to get experience. I eventually had to quit because it got so bad working there. I had another job lined up, but the dentist backed out at the last minute after I had already left my job, leaving me without one. I have been actively job hunting since the end of March '07 without any real luck.
It is getting very frustrating for me...I have a hunch I may be discriminated against because I'm 47. I have read everything imaginable on preparing for interviews, dressing appropriately,etc. but it doesn't seem to matter. I am going on my 21st job interview this morning and hope it works out. The job situation where you live may be better, but I urge you to consider your decision very carefully. The ads on TV and the schools make it sound so easy, but the reality is another thing, especially for those of us just starting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Amber W in Georgia

90 months ago

Jamie..
I'm an assistant from Georgia. Actually Im living in Germany now where my husband is active duty military AND deployed currently! So I understand, though I'm not a mom. I dont know if you know this or not but IF you want to work in Georgia as a dental assistant, you do not have to have a certification to do so. You have to have CPR but you dont have to go to assisting school. I didnt go to school for it, you just have to find a nice enough dentist to hire you and teach you on the job. I luckily found the perfect dentist who was very understanding and taught me soo much! Since I didnt recieve a degree is in assisting when I moved here to Germany I couldnt work in the dental clinic without going through the Red Cross dental assisting program they have here on post. However, the dentist I worked for wrote a letter of recommendation and the clinic is allowing me to volunteer there until a position becomes available. Also, if you go through the Red Cross on a military base to get a dental assistants degree, you can work ANYWHERE!! And it only takes a maximum of 6 months I think..hope this helps. Let me know if you need anymore advice!!
God Bless our troops,
Amber

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Nancy in New York

90 months ago

Hi Amber,

Do you have to be in the armed forces to join the Red Cross Dental Assisting program?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Amber W in Georgia

90 months ago

Hey...
I think that it is exclusivly for the military and it may be just the ARMY. I'm not 100% on this but you can call your local Red Cross chapter to find out! Ours is held through our post Red Cross here in Germany! Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Merri Lee in Gainesville, Georgia

89 months ago

Hi! I am acutally thinking of entering the dental field as well. And am considering Dental Assisting. I understand there is a high demand in my area based on recent ads & online posts. I also know you don't have to have any certifications in GA, but that it is actually easier to find a job this way. Amber, would you mind giving me the name of the dentist and area where you worked that trained you without any experience? I have been activily looking for a dentist in the Gwinnett county area to hire without experience, but have had no luck. Maybe you can help! Thanks!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kayce in Dallas, Texas

89 months ago

Jamie in Riverdale, Georgia said: I've been a stay at home mom for the last 12 years and now that my children are in school its time to find a career for me. I've been looking into Dental Assisting and was hoping to find some information here. I live in Georgia...what steps do I need to take to get started? My husbands is Active Duty Military so I was also hoping that it would be relatively easy to find a job no matter where we're stationed. Any advice for someone just starting out would be greatly appreicated!
Jamie, I started out as a dental assistant in Georgia and it was a great experience for me. I was trained on the job and worked with the dentist for about 4 years while I was in college. He had associates so I would relieve the other assistants so they could go home after putting in their 8 hours and I would work until close. This doctor taught me so much about how things are done properly, from the patient care to infection control, procedures, etc. Each doctor is different but the concepts are the same. This ended up being my career for the past 25 years, I am now a CDA,RDA and I teach entry level dental assistants and continuing ed to veteran dental assistants. I have moved from GA to FLA to TN to SC and now TX and I have NEVER had trouble finding a position, in fact, I have been offered just about every position I have interviewed for. Look for someone who is willing to train and then get some schooling as well and you will have it made. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Roxanne in Orlando, Florida

88 months ago

Amber W in Georgia said: Jamie..
I'm an assistant from Georgia. Actually Im living in Germany now where my husband is active duty military AND deployed currently! So I understand, though I'm not a mom. I dont know if you know this or not but IF you want to work in Georgia as a dental assistant, you do not have to have a certification to do so. You have to have CPR but you dont have to go to assisting school. I didnt go to school for it, you just have to find a nice enough dentist to hire you and teach you on the job. I luckily found the perfect dentist who was very understanding and taught me soo much! Since I didnt recieve a degree is in assisting when I moved here to Germany I couldnt work in the dental clinic without going through the Red Cross dental assisting program they have here on post. However, the dentist I worked for wrote a letter of recommendation and the clinic is allowing me to volunteer there until a position becomes available. Also, if you go through the Red Cross on a military base to get a dental assistants degree, you can work ANYWHERE!! And it only takes a maximum of 6 months I think..hope this helps. Let me know if you need anymore advice!!
God Bless our troops,
Amber

Hey amber,
I found your review to be very informative. I will be moving to GA in March of 08 and i will be looking for a dental assistant job. I know that u dont have to be certified but i am going to get my da diploma here in Fl just to get that extra experience and a better chance of getting a job. I wanted to know the name and area of the dentist that hired you with no experience, so that i can aply there when i move to Ga. Email me or call me or maybe i can call you. royal1364@yahoo.com (407)2099123

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Arlene Owusu in Haralson, Georgia

88 months ago

I am not in the military, but, I offer so suggestions. I Moved to Atlanta, GA four years ago. I recently finished accredited program in Atlanta Tech College, The program is eighteen months. It's include expanded duty program and getting CPR. Call some of Technical Schools in Georgia to find out how to get in the program. In Georgia, it's good some technical education because the school will help you find a job. Last year, Most the people took the program have no problem finding a job. I hope this information is helpful for you, Take care of self.

Anna in Winder, Georgia

87 months ago

does anyone know of a office that will train on the job? I have my DA certificate but don't have any experience. My email is Monnapai@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lani in Commerce, Georgia

87 months ago

I am a Reg, Dental Hygienist in Florida and used to encourage anyone to get in the dental field. I have found Georgia to be unreasonable in their license transfer requirements. In Fla there were jobs everday and in every city. I have seen one ad for an assistant in Athens Georgia. My advice would be to move where there are bigger cities close enough to reasonably travel to, otherwise I find Georgia to be "backward" dentally including very limited access to care, low dental health IQ, and a treatment for those that can afford it type attitude. You think they would be giving away licenses just to have qualified practitioners. I guess they have decided to make money off the license transfer process instead since it cost upwards of $1,000. Dental is usually a good field, just make sure where you move has a market for it or your family will suffer. I suggest going to the local newspaper classified and see how many ads for dental. If you do LPN or RN they will practically pay to relocate you anywhere.

marty in Miami, Florida

87 months ago

i plan to move to nc and am also staring a class,does any one know how the feild is over there for someone with no exp is?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Clara Gathright in South Bend, Indiana

87 months ago

Do most Dentists pay well in Georgia? For being a CDA along with x'ray certified and CPR?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Susi in Santa Fe, Texas

86 months ago

Kayce in Dallas, Texas said: Jamie, I started out as a dental assistant in Georgia and it was a great experience for me. I was trained on the job and worked with the dentist for about 4 years while I was in college. He had associates so I would relieve the other assistants so they could go home after putting in their 8 hours and I would work until close. This doctor taught me so much about how things are done properly, from the patient care to infection control, procedures, etc. Each doctor is different but the concepts are the same. This ended up being my career for the past 25 years, I am now a CDA,RDA and I teach entry level dental assistants and continuing ed to veteran dental assistants. I have moved from GA to FLA to TN to SC and now TX and I have NEVER had trouble finding a position, in fact, I have been offered just about every position I have interviewed for. Look for someone who is willing to train and then get some schooling as well and you will have it made. Good luck!

How did you get your license tranferred when you moved here to TX? I just moved here a few months ago and just called about transferring my license and they said they don't transfer. I have to take the course all over again and the state Test. I just took TN state test almost a year ago and just got registered. Now that I moved I have to do it all over again and pay again. I have 3 kids and don't have time to go back to school again. But yet my husband's friend at work said his wife tranferred from VA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kayce in Dallas, Texas

86 months ago

Susi,
There is no transfer of licensure in Texas, in fact, I don't know of any state that does that. You will have to take a course that is approved by the Texas State Board of Dental Examiners with the exam. There are a few one-day courses available. I actually offer one on my website of www.dentalteambuilding.com through Baylor College of Dentistry. You do have one year from your hire date to complete the process. Our course is all inclusive of the Radiology, Infection Control and Jurisprudence, study materials, the state board exam and the state board application for licensure for $199. We have a few coming up but they are closer to the Dallas area. The next one we have is in Denton on Dec. 15th and then January 11th at Baylor downtown Dallas. You may contact me directly at my e-mail address kchcda@hotmail.com if you need any other help or questions answered. Good luck!

wendy in Powder Springs, Georgia

85 months ago

I have never had a hard time finding a job. I have been a dental asst for 8years and yes i like . I live in Powder springs GA . I found a job with in two week of being here. And then stop for a while and went through a temp and found a great job that pay 6000 to the temp office for me to work there . I have live in Calf and never had any hard time finding work.BUT JUST GO TO HGY SCHOOL they make more money.Wish I did! But i love my job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Arlene Owusu in Fayetteville, Georgia

85 months ago

Maybe is time for a change, HGY SCHOOl is great. Atlanta Tech College is opened a hgy school for 2008. Find out how to apply now for school.

ann in Seattle, Washington

85 months ago

Is the exams diffuclut?

Sandra in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

85 months ago

Hello, I am so pleased to have found this web-site and the people who comments in it! I am 40 yrs old,a mom of 3 pre-teenagers and tired of working and not get anywhere! So I took my entrance exam last month and did not do quite as well as I expected! You see my goal was to enroll in the Practical Nursing program at McFatter Technical, after taking some remedial classes my counselor suggested to take the Dental Laboratory Technology program which it is longer than the PN program! I feel overwhelmed and my economic situation is not helping. Any insite or wise advice would be greatly recieved. Thank You

hristinad in Ridgewood, New York

85 months ago

To Amber:
I would appreciate if you help me and let me know how the dentist you worked for exactly wrote that letter. Thank you!

meme in Atlanta, Georgia

84 months ago

Is it correct information? I called Atlanta Tech College but, they don't have hygiene major.

Jay in Jonesboro, Georgia

84 months ago

I'm looking into the Dental Asst Program with Stratford Career Institute. It's an "at-home" training program. Can someone give me some feed back on them???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

crcajo30 in Atlanta, Georgia

84 months ago

I have the same issue however I am soon to be 30 yrs old. I've been a stay at home mom for six years. I decided to go to college to obtain my Assoc degree in Dental Hygiene in the Fall of 2006. I've completed all of my prerequisites for the course, and recently applied for the DH calss of 2009. Since the competition is so thick for DH school, I decided to take a 10 week course in Dental Assisting just to get my foot in the door. When I completed the course I was 6 mos pregnant with my son so it's been 7 mos since I completed the course. I finished the course with the top three in my class. The class took place in an actual dental office on Saturdays and we practiced takink alginate impressions, x-rays, rubber dam placement, instrument transfer technique (just to name a few) on each other, not on dolls. I do feel that I have experience. I waited unitll the first of the year (for my son to be 3 mos) to start looking for work and have had no luck landing an interview. I would like some suggestions on how office managers screen resumes for potential dental assiting candidates. I would also like to know what is a reasonable amount to ask for if I do get an interview. I am well groomed and dressed in a black pant-suit whenever I am dropping off my resume. I drive around to dental offices in the west cobb and south atl area to briefly introduce myself to the office managers with my portfolio in hand and enclosed I have a picture of myself on my resume with a coverletter printed on ivory water marked resume paper. I am always smiling and polite but it seems llike they don't ever want to be bothered and they never seem to like me too much. Am I doing something wrong?

84 months ago

crcajo30 in Atlanta, Georgia said: I have the same issue however I am soon to be 30 yrs old. I've been a stay at home mom for six years. I decided to go to college to obtain my Assoc degree in Dental Hygiene in the Fall of 2006. I've completed all of my prerequisites for the course, and recently applied for the DH calss of 2009. Since the competition is so thick for DH school, I decided to take a 10 week course in Dental Assisting just to get my foot in the door. When I completed the course I was 6 mos pregnant with my son so it's been 7 mos since I completed the course. I finished the course with the top three in my class. The class took place in an actual dental office on Saturdays and we practiced takink alginate impressions, x-rays, rubber dam placement, instrument transfer technique (just to name a few) on each other, not on dolls. I do feel that I have experience. I waited unitll the first of the year (for my son to be 3 mos) to start looking for work and have had no luck landing an interview. I would like some suggestions on how office managers screen resumes for potential dental assiting candidates. I would also like to know what is a reasonable amount to ask for if I do get an interview. I am well groomed and dressed in a black pant-suit whenever I am dropping off my resume. I drive around to dental offices in the west cobb and south atl area to briefly introduce myself to the office managers with my portfolio in hand and enclosed I have a picture of myself on my resume with a coverletter printed on ivory water marked resume paper. I am always smiling and polite but it seems llike they don't ever want to be bothered and they never seem to like me too much. Am I doing something wrong?

At what office did you take the courses? May I have the name and phone #.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Hi Jay-
The office was is located in Marietta/Roswell Dr. Erickson's office (770) 937-0496. Go to www.mydentalcareers.com. The instructer there is a retired dental assitant (Kim) and often times there are current DA's that come in and help by giving us extra mouths to practice on. The school is really great and the calss is so informing. There is never a dull moment. It was a sad time to see everyone go their seprate ways when the course ended.

Jay in Jonesboro, Georgia said: At what office did you take the courses? May I have the name and phone #.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

thanks for the reply. one more thing, did you received a diploma or certificate?

84 months ago

To Jay-
I received a certificate of completion and a Radiology certificate,

Jay in Jonesboro, Georgia said: thanks for the reply. one more thing, did you received a diploma or certificate?

Rachel in Dallas, Georgia

84 months ago

crcajo30 in Atlanta, Georgia said: Hi Jay-
The office was is located in Marietta/Roswell Dr. Erickson's office (770) 937-0496. Go to www.mydentalcareers.com. The instructer there is a retired dental assitant (Kim) and often times there are current DA's that come in and help by giving us extra mouths to practice on. The school is really great and the calss is so informing. There is never a dull moment. It was a sad time to see everyone go their seprate ways when the course ended.

I took the class with Dr. Erickson and have been a dental assistant not for a year and a half. It is a great course and the prices are great for his class. You will be certified in 8-10 weeks. Most other courses take 8-10 months and close to $10,000. I would recommend his class to anyone looking to get into assisting!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

tanya in Villa Rica, Georgia

84 months ago

I just finished DA school aned can not find a job. there are lots of jobs on the internet but everywhere wants experience. I've been to three working interviews and still have come up empty handed. does anyboby know where to go when you're starting out?

karen in Rebecca, Georgia

83 months ago

Jamie in Riverdale, Georgia said: I've been a stay at home mom for the last 12 years and now that my children are in school its time to find a career for me. I've been looking into Dental Assisting and was hoping to find some information here. I live in Georgia...what steps do I need to take to get started? My husbands is Active Duty Military so I was also hoping that it would be relatively easy to find a job no matter where we're stationed. Any advice for someone just starting out would be greatly appreicated![/QUOTE

you might want to check out some other field. CDA are under paid in Ga. I make more as a rest. manager. ga. needs to change pay rates for ALL MED> feild!!!!!

Janis in Long Beach, California

83 months ago

Hi Jamie. My experience has been very similar to Carolyn in Ontario. From the last 20 years I was an Admin/Exec.Asst. I found that as I got older it was becoming harder to find a job. I also, believe age was a factor. So, I decided to become a dental asst. I went through a nine month program, graduated with high honors and was valedictorian of my class and recieved my RDA certification for the state of California. I came out nervous and excited to embark on this journey. I have been employed at a dental ofc for a year now and it has been the most miserable experience I have ever had. It's not the field itself, but the doctors you have to work with. There is no respect for what we do, we get yelled at, belittled in front of patients, and basically expected to take their bad behavior becuase they are the "doctor". Granted, this is my first job out of school, but I also have friends in the field and their stories are similar if not worse. However, I am a strong woman and will not let this experience deter me from what I want to do. I am moving to Germany in a few months and I will pursue my career when I get there. Regardless of this experience I am proud of what I have accomplished. If anyone has any info on what the requirements might be for dental assisting in Germany, I would appreciate it. I am not in the military, my parter is German and we are returning to her home

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Heather in Efland, North Carolina

82 months ago

What is the difference here in atlanta, Ga with the DA schools...why are some 8-10wks and others 10months and plus the costs? Do you get payed more if you sit for the DA national board exam and can travel anywhere since your nationaly certified? Plus, im considering taking the DA II program at Medix school...has anyone been through their progam and can give me some insight on it. Thanks!!

Courtney in Douglasville, Georgia

82 months ago

Rachel in Dallas, Georgia said: I took the class with Dr. Erickson and have been a dental assistant not for a year and a half. It is a great course and the prices are great for his class. You will be certified in 8-10 weeks. Most other courses take 8-10 months and close to $10,000. I would recommend his class to anyone looking to get into assisting!

I am currently looking into taking Dr. Erikson's class. I am curious how you found your job as a dental assistant. Did Dr. Erikson's office help you or did you find it on your own? Did they want experience and did you get a job close to your home? Alot of jobs I have seen are in Alpharetta & Gwinnett and that is a drive for me plus they want 2-5 years experience. Thanks

Rachel in Douglasville, Georgia

82 months ago

Some offices call Dr. Erickson looking for assistants. I found my job on AJC jobs. You can also look on Dentalpost.net. Most offices so want experience but I was lucky to find one willing to train the right person. Don't hesitate to send resumes to offices looking for experience. Personality can get you far in interviews and if they think that you are someone that they can teach it helps.

Teresa Wright in Oxford, Alabama

82 months ago

Can anyone tell me if I can take a test to become certified as a dental assistant. I've worked as a dental assistant for 2 1/2 years and I want to be certified without going to school. Not that I don't want to, It's just very hard because I'm a single parent and I would have to quit working during the day to go to school and I don't want to do that.

Teresa Wright in Oxford, Alabama

82 months ago

Why is it so hard to find a dental assistant postion in Athens GA on the internet? Most jobs for this postion is in Atlanta.

Sheila in Dublin, Georgia

82 months ago

Teresa Wright in Oxford, Alabama said: Can anyone tell me if I can take a test to become certified as a dental assistant. I've worked as a dental assistant for 2 1/2 years and I want to be certified without going to school. Not that I don't want to, It's just very hard because I'm a single parent and I would have to quit working during the day to go to school and I don't want to do that.

Hi Teresa,
Check out www.danb.org/main/downloadable1.asp for the CDA application through the Denatal Assistant National Board. I've already completed both the CDA & COA exams. Even though neither are required for dental assistants to work in Georgia, I feel that it does promote dedication to the dental profession and therefore serves to not only impress my patients, but also provesto the patient that I am qualified to perform dental treatment. Because I persued these certifications and attained my personal goal, the doctor I work with has rewarded my efforts with a pay increase for each one. There are CE requirements to maintain each certification, so you will always be learning...always increasing your value to the dental team.
I hope this helps. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Teresa Wright in Anniston, Alabama

82 months ago

Thank you so much Sheila, I really didn't think I was going to get a response so soon. This information is a great help,thank you again.

82 months ago

One more thing Sheila, are there books or something to prep for the test. If so where can I get them.

Sheila in Dublin, Georgia

82 months ago

Teresa Wright in Anniston, Alabama said: One more thing Sheila, are there books or something to prep for the test. If so where can I get them.

There is a Study Guide that will help you prepare for the CDA, but I do not remember the name of the one I used. Check out DANB.org or dentalassist.org for other resources. Also, you may consider buying a used text book from eBay or Amazon.com on dental assisting to help you study. I did not use 'Delmar's Dental Assisting Exam Review', but it looks very thorough.
Are you currently working in a dental office?

82 months ago

Sheila in Dublin, Georgia said: There is a Study Guide that will help you prepare for the CDA, but I do not remember the name of the one I used. Check out DANB.org or dentalassist.org for other resources. Also, you may consider buying a used text book from eBay or Amazon.com on dental assisting to help you study. I did not use 'Delmar's Dental Assisting Exam Review', but it looks very thorough.
Are you currently working in a dental office?

Sheila,

Was the CDA and COA exam difficult? I am starting my DA course in less than a month. I want to prepare myself when taking CDA and COA.

82 months ago

Thank you. I did see something that look like it would help me study. They have books to prepare you but I think I might do better with the flashcards They are suppose to be very thorough and cover
everything. So I might try those. Yes I am currently working as a Dental Assistant in Alabama. Your help is very much appreciated.

GA2thFairy in Macon, Georgia

82 months ago

Hi Ann,
If you are already enrolled in an accredited dental assisting course, it should prepare you for the exams. All of the national board exams require you to complete sections on Radiography & Infection Control, so I would suggest that you definately pay careful attention in those areas during your schooling. The largest part of the exam will focus on either chairside (CDA) or orthodontics (COA), depending on which exam you're taking. Be sure to ask for guidance from your instructors.
Best of Luck!
~Sheila (GA2thFairy)

82 months ago

Hi Teresa,
I'm glad to hear that you are already working as a dental assistant...that will really be an advantage for you when taking the National Board Exams. You have the absolute best resource available...your doctor! I have found that most doctors love to teach, therefore, ask him or her lots of questions as you are studying.
I don't know if you've looked at the applications for the CDA exam, but one of the eligiblity pathways requires you to have verification by your dentist/employer of continuous work experience.
~Sheila (GA2thFairy)

82 months ago

Teresa Wright in Anniston, Alabama said: Thank you. I did see something that look like it would help me study. They have books to prepare you but I think I might do better with the flashcards They are suppose to be very thorough and cover
everything. So I might try those. Yes I am currently working as a Dental Assistant in Alabama. Your help is very much appreciated.

You may want to check out the DANB Exam Reference Materials listed on the website.
www.danb.org/exams/examreferences.asp
Some of these references might be available in your local library.
~Sheila

82 months ago

Shelia,

Thank you for the info. How long have you been a dentist assistant? Do you remember if the schooling was diffucult for you? I just hope I can complete the program.

82 months ago

Hi Ann,
I have confidence that you can complete the program! Although school is a little challenging, it's a great career choice. Going into it with a good attitude is a plus!

One portion of The Dental Assistants Creed says:
"To be enthusiastic-for therein lies the easiest way to accomplishment."

I've been a dental assistant for 14 years and definately consider this to be my "Career". :)

I'd love to talk with you more as you progress through your schooling. Drop me a note anytime. GA2thFairy@AOL.com
~Sheila

Ashley in Fayetteville, North Carolina

82 months ago

GA2thFairy in Macon, Georgia said: Hi Ann,
I have confidence that you can complete the program! Although school is a little challenging, it's a great career choice. Going into it with a good attitude is a plus!

One portion of The Dental Assistants Creed says:
"To be enthusiastic-for therein lies the easiest way to accomplishment."

I've been a dental assistant for 14 years and definately consider this to be my "Career". :)

I'd love to talk with you more as you progress through your schooling. Drop me a note anytime. GA2thFairy@AOL.com
~Sheila

How do you like being a dental assitant? I am trying to decide between that and dental hygiene.

82 months ago

Hi Ashley,

I absolutely love being a dental assistant! Originally I planned on going to Hygiene school, but due to my family situation at the time, dental assisting was a better fit for me. Being a dental assistant has opened many doors for me...I've met lots of really interesting people and I've gotten to travel to many fun places. Not to mention, I never get bored at work since there are so many different procedures that I can be a part of!

Many people will be able to confirm for you that hygienist typically start out making more money than assistants do. I will tell you from my personal experience, that as an assistant, you have the potential to make just as much money. It is not as easy for assistants to achieve high pay as quickly, but the opportunity is there if you are willing to put in the time.

What is your current job?
~Sheila

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Thank you Sheila for that comment. I start DA school in April 08 and your comment really encouraged me.

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.