I HATE DENTAL ASSISTING

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 463)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

let in San Diego, California

59 months ago

Where DID you got to school that hgy only goes to school for 2 years.? NOT in CALIFORNIA>>> are you an RDA? Yes they do get PAID but soooo do Dental Assistants ...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (31) Reply - Report abuse

RRsDental in Pittsford, New York

58 months ago

UGH I hate dental assisting. The dentist's you work for are always a pain in the ass.... they expect you to know what they are thinking and if something goes wrong (IE: a kid crying) its your fault. This man, who acts like a female that i work for now is such a pain in the ass. We have to tell him where we are going when on our lunch break and we have to say goodbye have a nice night evertime we leave the office. Im not a child and I urge you all to stay away from the underpaid and overworked world of dental assisting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (160) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

dentalGURU2009 in Genoa City, Wisconsin

58 months ago

RRsDental in Pittsford, New York said: UGH I hate dental assisting. The dentist's you work for are always a pain in the ass.... they expect you to know what they are thinking and if something goes wrong (IE: a kid crying) its your fault. This man, who acts like a female that i work for now is such a pain in the ass. We have to tell him where we are going when on our lunch break and we have to say goodbye have a nice night evertime we leave the office. Im not a child and I urge you all to stay away from the underpaid and overworked world of dental assisting.

LOL- I admit, there ARE KOOKS out there. Lots of them! But you have to find
just the right dr. - a good match-
You wouldn't date a jerk right??? So why would choose to spend 8-13 hrs a day with one? Trust me , I've seen my share of jerks, control-freaks, but those
short-lived and I found great people to work for and I learned a lot!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (80) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

love it.... I know whta you mean. Sounds not nice but I will say it anyway, those "lazy / idiot" ( there are a lot out there) assistants give good assistants a bad name!!
Some hyg are princesses, but others I call my best friends ,even yrs later.

There is a story for every dentist! They can be crazy, and boy do I have some crazy stories!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

In and Out in Chicago, Illinois

58 months ago

RRsDental in Pittsford, New York said: UGH I hate dental assisting. The dentist's you work for are always a pain in the ass.... they expect you to know what they are thinking and if something goes wrong (IE: a kid crying) its your fault. This man, who acts like a female that i work for now is such a pain in the ass. We have to tell him where we are going when on our lunch break and we have to say goodbye have a nice night evertime we leave the office. Im not a child and I urge you all to stay away from the underpaid and overworked world of dental assisting.

That's right! Why can the dentist say good morning and good night, nice work etc. It's all about them. Respect is a two way street.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

In and Out in Chicago, Illinois

58 months ago

bslippers in Saint Paul, Minnesota said: Hey folks I feel your pain. I have worked in the dental field for over 20 years. I began as a dental assistant (Doctor trained) in Wisconsin. I moved to Pennsylvania and worked as a Dental Assistant after passing the required Radiology testing. I studied, on my own and tested out with a B+. I was able to perform all functions in both states as a DA including radiographs and coronal polishing. (Granted, this was quite a few years ago) Along came the EFDA which included more techincal training including admin of N202 etc. and I made the transition to Front Office. I've been in Management for the last 15. I've seen every weird/odd scenario you could possibly imagine. Some Dentists are true freaks, and evil beyond words. Some Hygienists are self-centered divas. Some Assistants are lazy, idiots. That being said. I've met some truly wonderful and inspiring clinical folks who work tirelessly every day to provide a positive team approach, skillfully care for their patients and are committed in every way to make a difference in the lives of others. I salute those professionals and cannot thank them enough for giving me the motivation to hang in there when confronted with the first group of losers I mentioned. It's sad, but I have lost my passion for the dental field. I simply find too few of the latter group anymore. The last Dentist I worked for was a bully and a pig. I'm done. Having worked in both front and back, clinical and non-clinical (I was also an EMT), I have to say that Dental Assistants oftentimes get the ****-end of the stick. Everyone expects to have a piece of them and they are pulled in 10 different directions. Unfortunately, I think they are overloaded by working with other assistants who are lazy or incompetent and hygienists who think they are too important to clean up after themselves. Just how many jobs are you supposed to do for one salary, anyway?

Dental assistants most time just get s****ed!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (48) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Hello in Spokane, Washington

57 months ago

If you hate dental assisting so much then why are you all complaining about it? No one is forcing you to stay there. Go find another job or go back to school so you can do something else!!! I get a laugh from people who give advice to others interested in this field by telling them they hate it and its the worst job ever. If your thinking about a career in dental assisting, dont listen to these people. They are pathetic for not quitting there jobs and just staying there and complaining about it. What do you think would happen is your boss read this and saw you all say these horrible things about your job. In my opinion you dont even deserve your job and you are a very negative person who thinks this world owes you something. You have to work for everything in this world and no one said its gonna be easy, SUCK IT UP AND QUIT COMPLAINING!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (163) / No (127) Reply - Report abuse

bslippers in Saint Paul, Minnesota

57 months ago

Hello in Spokane, Washington said: If you hate dental assisting so much then why are you all complaining about it? No one is forcing you to stay there. Go find another job or go back to school so you can do something else!!! I get a laugh from people who give advice to others interested in this field by telling them they hate it and its the worst job ever. If your thinking about a career in dental assisting, dont listen to these people. They are pathetic for not quitting there jobs and just staying there and complaining about it. What do you think would happen is your boss read this and saw you all say these horrible things about your job. In my opinion you dont even deserve your job and you are a very negative person who thinks this world owes you something. You have to work for everything in this world and no one said its gonna be easy, SUCK IT UP AND QUIT COMPLAINING!!!!!!!

(Reached my word max...to continue)
I don't think a single, working mom has the ability to just quit and damn the consequences. Many don't. I was lucky; my husband has a fairly stable job and makes good money, but even still we took quite a hit financially. I began looking for another job over a year and a half before I finally decided to quit...even though I did not have a job waiting in the wings. I've worked for some amazing Doctors and with some amazing people in Dental Offices. I'm glad that you are happy working at your office (even though we all know that even the best offices have tough days and still have some conflicts). Offices that are healthy and prosperous are wonderful. Offices that share a mutual respect between Doctor, staff and patient are truly what Dentistry should be all about. Unfortunately, they aren't as common as the bad ones. I don't know if I will continue in Dentistry or move on to something else. I'm talented, bright, and am an excellent administrator. I just don't know whether I'm willing to take another chance again. Good Luck, all!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Domo in Chicago, Illinois

57 months ago

kyle in North Tonawanda, New York said: Man if only I knew what I was getting myself into. My college advisor told me to become dental assistant. I followed her advice and I finished the assisting program last year. I didn't know how much more money hygienists make until I started working. In school we were lead to think that the assistant position wasn't below the hygienist. It was just different. No one ever told me that the hygienist is paid much more and that the assistant has to assist them too. And they have only gone to school one year more than I have!!! Why didn't my advisor tell me to go for hyg.?? Dental assisting is a joke, one of the assistants here is a joke, no education or experience, all of her x rays must be retaken, etc. Now I am supporting myself and can't go back to school. Ugh please will someone go back in time and tell me to apply to hygiene school! I love the dental field but the dental assistant is a ridiculous position. Why make people go to school for it if you can just hire someone off the street and show them how to do it in a few weeks?

THE SCHOOL DID NOT EXPLAIN THESE JOBS VERY WELL

Atleast you have a job in Dental Assisting. I can't even get my foot in the door. Oh, and i have a $60,000 Bachelors Degree, too that doesn't do me any good. Hope that helps <3

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

HelloKittyDentist in Port Orchard, Washington

57 months ago

I am a Dental Assistant and I LOVE IT!!!! Of course there are people out there who don't like their jobs nor the people they work with, but definately, instead of complaining about it, take some damn action and do something about it for crying out loud. Just because your not happy with your job and don't like it doesn't mean that everyone will. I went to school for a year to be a dental assistant and as for hiring people off the street, I have heard of that, but you do need to go to school to learn how to do alot of the procedures. I can't imagine hiring someone off the street and teaching them how to properly take X Rays, or how to fabricate temporary crowns and cement those....I had a girl in my class who worked for a dentist off the street, but, she wasn't able to do things like that so she chose to go to school.

As Far as dentists go...yes, they are a VERY SPECIAL BREED of people, but just because one is bad and angry, doesn't mean they all are. As far as needing to "Read their minds", they kinda do expect you to, but that also goes for if you have worked for them long enough, you really kinda should know how they think, what they use, and how they do things....it's not that hard. As for if something goes wrong they blame you....that's probably just because that is the type of person they are. My dentist is an amazing person, very good dentist, and treats us all with respect. If something goes wrong, or we make a mistake, he just expects us to learn from those mistakes.

For all you out there complaining, get off your high horse, move your ass, find a new job and stop the B.S. complaining. Just because you don't like it and it doesn't work for you, doesn't mean nobody else will like it or isn't happy!!!!

I THINK DENTAL ASSISTING IS ONE OF THE FUNNEST, MOST REWARDING JOBS THERE IS!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (102) / No (75) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Again, for those folks who have steady, stable employers/Dentists who treat their team well, I applaud you. I agree that people shouldn't dismiss/diminish someone's dreams of doing whatever it is they choose to do--including becoming a Dental Assistant. When you are in a good place, hands down, there's nothing like it. Dental Assisting can truly be one of the most fun and rewarding jobs you can have. That is unfortunately not everyone's reality and simply telling your peers who are frustrated and depressed to "move your ass" and "get off your high horse" is counterproductive. Rather than judging and blaming, let's remember that these are real people trying to support families and are frustrated by working for Dentists who consciously choose not to run their offices in an honorable way. I think it is important to remind folks that yes there are great offices out there...but they are not easy to find. Sometimes, you cannot tell the value of an office until you've accepted the position and take yourself out off the market. It is especially difficult in the current economy to identify and land a position at one of these "gem" offices. With over 20 years in the field, I'll be glad to share my thoughts and suggestions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

1) Everyone, please keep in mind just because a position pays more, doesn't mean you'll enjoy it more. For many, not all assistants, hygiene is not only a way to expand your clinical knowledge and responsibility but to increase earning potential as well. I've known many assistants over the years who made this move...some happily...some not so happily. It depends on what interests you and where you want to go with your career. Personally, while I respect the role of the Hygienist in the office, it wasn't something I was interested in doing. I made the leap into Office Management instead which I know I've enjoyed much more than I would doing hygiene. If you are unhappy being a dental assistant at an office because the environment sucks...remember...THE ENVIRONMENT SUCKS...not you or your position. It's time to look for a new office and a new group of co-workers who will lift you up, make you a better assistant and, frankly a better person. If you aren't consistently striving to do your best...something's wrong with the picture. Not everyone is 100% all the time, every day...but if you aren't motivated or challenged--you need to have a frank discussion with yourself. What do you need to make you happy? Sometimes the barrier is environmental. Perhaps you are looking for a better work/life balance. Maybe you just need more money. If the problem is the latter...consider creative ways to help increase revenue at the office. Remember, the more profitable the office...the more opportunity for you to increase your earnings. Healthy offices reward go-getters and people who think outside the box!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

3)Some of these suggestions may sound "routine" for seasoned vets but as someone who had the unfortunate task of sending Dental Assistants home early...your attitude and work ethic absolutely matter. If you are looking for a good office but are having trouble finding one, I suggest the following: Dental Temping. Yes, it's hard and sometimes it sucks. You learn a lot about an office by actually working there and sometimes it can steer you clear of the places that look "okay" on the outside but are ultimately a dysfunctional looney bin on the inside. A few words of caution: Dental Temping is not for the faint of heart. You have to realize that unless you have lots of experience (with a variety of Doctors) it can be initially frustrating. Not all Doctors perform procedures the exact same way. Some if it depends upon the training, Dental School and simply personal preference. You have to be okay with that. It may sound funny, but there are many paths that lead to the same destination. Since by nature of being a DA, part of your skills include intuition and anticipating the Doctor's needs, it's frustrating when you are ready with one instrument and they want something entirely different instead. Go with the flow...and learn. Each new experience will be invaluable down the road. I guarantee it. Also, you may need to sign up with a Dental Temp agency. There are pros and cons. Yes, they do help find you work and screen employees for their client offices so that makes them desirable, however offices that direct hire from agencies pay a hefty fee for the privilege of hiring you through that agency. That will make you somewhat less desirable even though it's a way to get out there. Read your contract carefully before signing. A good compromise is to sign with an agency but keep looking on your own and get your own resume as a temp out there (if your contract allows you to do this--again, be careful not to restrict your job seeking options).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

3 Continued) That way you can present yourself as a temp who has already been screened by an agency but any job you find on your own doesn't require the agency fee to hire you as a permanent employee.

I hope some of this is helpful... Please feel free to add your own insights and comments. I'd be glad to answer and questions (if I can). I think is is important to keep helping and supporting each other. For those of you who are rethinking your career choice as a Dental Assistant, you may want to look for support from some of the regional and national dental assisting associations. They often have continuing education, job fair information and the like. Also, don't forget to attend your own state's Dental Conference. You can do a lot of networking there with other DA's and offices. (Remember, be professional, don't "bash" your employer even if what you are saying is true, present yourself as looking for other opportunities. Be gracious and don't burn bridges--even after landing a new, terrific position at a great office. The dental community is small and people remember. If at all possible, still give that 2 week notice. Your thoughtfulness as a co-worker will be remembered (you may be working at another office with one or more of these folks someday in the future). Besides, how much fun is it when someone calls out sick? Imagine the mad scramble and chaos you'll leave everyone else if you quit without a notice.

Good Luck Everyone...and continue doing good work. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

brack81@earthlink.net in Jersey City, New Jersey

57 months ago

babyk in Stafford, Virginia said: I totally agree on the whole dr is always right and you are always to blame. My last office was with a left handed dr who was totally crazy.. She would even yell at you in front of the patient! She has gotten plenty of complaints about the way she treats the assistants but yet corporate wont do anything about it because she is the highest producing dr in the area. How crazy is that. She has gone thru more assistants than I can even count just in the past 2 years. I'm hoping to find a nice dr who can appreciate what I do instead of thinking they can do it all by themselves. I would love to see that dr do a procedure by herself... or God forbid her have to find her own instruments.

you got to be kidding me,most all dentist love to belittle you they believe that they are of a hirer authority.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Pam in Victoria, British Columbia

56 months ago

I quit this job 2 years ago and it's the best decision I ever made. Dental Assisting was the worst career ever. I was belittled by the dentist daily.
I never was given positive feedback, it was always negative. No matter how hard I worked or how much I tried, it was never good enough.
Over the years it took it's toll. I became horribly depressed, even suicidal. I'm not kidding, it was very serious. I felt like a failure because I could never please anybody at work. I was an emotional eater and gained a ton of weight. My boss actually had the nerve to tell me to lose weight! I ended up with a back injury and had to quit, but it was a blessing in disguise. I think I would be dead by now if I hadn't had to quit, I really do. I have since gone back to school and now I am working in a new career. I actually enjoy my job now and I don't dread going to work everyday. I really wish I hadn't become a dental assistant, but I guess I can't change the past. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (66) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Pam- omg , that is so horrible and makes me sad.
So glad you are happy now. When something isn't making you happy - you need to change your lifestyle.
Dentistry is not for everyone, and there are a surplus of mean dentists. There are nice ones too though. It just takes time to find them.

"Life is too short to be unhappy!" blessings!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Early in my dental career , I had an assisting job for a couple dentists. They were overly serious, condescending, demanding, and abrasive to staff. I swear I rarely saw them smile.
I felt small and unimportant. I stressed 24/7 about how much they disiked me and how I could never do anything that pleased them. As I am a person of good work ethic and pride in what I do.
I eventually moved and had to quit. When I did , they told me how much they were both "FOND" of me and so sad to see me go. They gave me a big smiley hug.

I must say now that I could have fainted!!! What the!???? These guys did not know how to compliment people. They were emotionless during the work day.
But apparently did not know how to show their staff appreciation. Kinda strange. But all that time they liked me and I was unaware. crazy!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

nish in Saint Louis, Missouri

56 months ago

Oh! I do agree the dentist I worked for were all anal and controlling. if they ask for a cotton roll to be placed on the tray, you better place in horizonally or vertically 2 mm for the edge of the instruments...(crazy). That type of pickness drove me to leave the field after 14 years. I worked for one dentist that marked a small x on the wall as a guide for the patients chair. Most of the ones I worked for had a great chairside manner with patients, but boy when they left the room after a procedure didn't go as plan, the norm was hurl an instrument into the lab sink, slam something, or dispaly sometiype of physchotic, out of control temperament. The employment turner over in this field is really extremely high. One DDS called me his "Time X employee, because I took a licking and kept on ticking." But seeing assistant, hygienist complain of miscarrages, and going to a chiropractor 3xs a week myself, I finally aquired wisdom and changed careers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

I know lots of crazy stories out there. I have thousands more.... but good ones too. Right now the doctor is nice to me. When he starts drilling into teeth that are not scheduled or planned he always looks up to me-( as for approval) I give him the evil eye "stare down" , he laughs and we keep on working.
Kind of a silly thing we got going.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Shannon Pace Brinker in Virginia Beach, Virginia

56 months ago

I hear and understand your feelings and thoughts about dental assisting. Dental Assisting is my job and I feel so blessed to be in the position that I am in. However there are days that I feel less important and also second guess who and why I am here doing what I am doing. I teach about 32 lectures a year and I am no better than you and feel the same as you. There are going to be dentist that come
into your life that are good and bad, same as patients good and bad. Some dentist care
more and some could care less. It's about the dentistry and that is what I have to tell
myself everyday. I am here for them, not him. I am blessed and know that, but I also pray
everyday for guidence and strength to sometimes make it through the day. I see things I
wish and know I would do different, preps, impression, just the way patients are treated,
but I can't change that. I can only change myself and who I am. You can only change
yourself and you who are. You can make a difference and I know you have based on these
letter. There are times when you must say goodbye and move on to find the dentist that
complete's you. I have something to share:
Here goes!

How to work in any environment
1.) Don't expect to be appreciated. Your only expectation should be a paycheck. Don't
come to work to have personal relationships. Don't allow what you do to effect who you are
2.) DO your job well, but remember your mission. God put you there to be a light.
3.) Seek opportunities to change the atmosphere without commenting on the problems. You
have a God to talk to.You are on a assignment. Quiteness and competence shall be your
strength.
4.) Don't let your environment get inside you. You should influence it, not let it
influence you. Stop going to work to be fed. You didn't come to receive you came to give

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (62) / No (30) Reply - Report abuse

Shannon Pace Brinker in Virginia Beach, Virginia

56 months ago

5.) Increase your capacity to work with different personalities. God will often bless you
through people you don't even like.
6.) Remember, where you are does not define where you are going. THis will deliver you
from frustration. God has a plan for your life. Keep your eye on the prize. When Pete did
this he was able to walk in what other people sank.
7.) Get the optimum results with minimal confusion. Be effective without making the
environment worse.
8.) Don't be associated with the one group or clique. Labels limit your usefulness. GOd
wants you to work with everybody, but be labeled by nobody. Use all your gifts.
9.) Always keep your song near you. Keep a consecrated place in your soul. Hold on to
your praise.
10.) Understand that God anoints you for trouble. Put on the whole armor of God before
going to work.

I want to be here for you at anytime and would love to keep in touch!
Take Care,
Shannon

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (60) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

I like #2 and #3 !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Hey, i love god, too. But your mentioning him waaaay too much and that makes me weary a little of your sanity.
Just letting you know

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (39) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Hey, i love god, too. But your mentioning him waaaay too much and that makes me weary a little of your sanity.
Just letting you know

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (35) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

I agree, ditto!

Most dental office are controlled work environments. The dentist pratically sets the tone each day.

Diffrent dentists no matter the gender are easily agitated. Most of them display the same chaotic explosive temperament no matter what U.S. region or office.

Knowledge from seasoned 14 year dental assistant...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Stella in Anonymous Proxy

55 months ago

Im from South Africa. Used to love my job until i got to work for a guy-very selfcentered,rude and show no respect to his workers! How sad?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

55 months ago

I agree with most of you. Dental assisting is a dirty job right there.

I have seen these ads for these trade schools on TV about how you can train to be a dental assistant, and they don't tell you the other side of being one. One of them asks why they chose dental assisting, and the responses were "Becasue I love helping people", and "I love making people smile". They don't tell you that you have to look in peoples' mouths, be on your feet a lot, assist the dentist with a patient, sterilize the equipment, and so forth.

They need to stop glamorizing the medical field and tell it like it is. I could never be a dental assistant. I don't want to look inside peoples' mouths. You don't know what kind of germs they have.

I hope that you can all find work that you'll be happy with.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

1984 in Tampa, Florida

55 months ago

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania said: I agree with most of you. Dental assisting is a dirty job right there.

I have seen these ads for these trade schools on TV about how you can train to be a dental assistant, and they don't tell you the other side of being one. One of them asks why they chose dental assisting, and the responses were "Becasue I love helping people", and "I love making people smile". They don't tell you that you have to look in peoples' mouths, be on your feet a lot, assist the dentist with a patient, sterilize the equipment, and so forth.

They need to stop glamorizing the medical field and tell it like it is. I could never be a dental assistant. I don't want to look inside peoples' mouths. You don't know what kind of germs they have.

I hope that you can all find work that you'll be happy with.

I was slightly amused while reading this. Of course you are going to be working inside other people's mouth, you're DENTAL assistant! People going into this career thinking they are going to avoid that aren't very bright. Yes, you have to be on your feet a lot. Yes, you have to assist the dentist and sometimes a hygienist. Yes, you have to sterilize instruments. Yes, sometimes you have to do a little 'dirty' work. In other words, YES YOU HAVE TO WORK HARD. Dental assisting isn't a show up to work and make easy money type of job. My major complaint with it is that DAs are not compensated enough a lot of the time for what they do.

And there are strict standards in place to protect you from other people's germs, of course. Research thoroughly before choosing this career field, it's definitely not for everyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Stella in Anonymous Proxy

55 months ago

Yeah its all true! Hard work,on your feet alot and don't forget the mental stress that goes with it all. I think thats the worst!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Shannonlpace in Virginia Beach, Virginia

55 months ago

I have a website just for team. Please feel free to go there to view our publication on products and materials. We will soon have a message board too!
www.cpsmagazine.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

amanda in Arlington, Texas

55 months ago

i am a dental assistant in a fast paced office... all of the above is correct u work hard and mainly do all aspects of the office including front desk... unfortunately u dont get paid enough... however i love my job... and if u work in the right place then it can be rewarding money wise.... so dont knock it til u try it...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

zuzug in Wheeling, Illinois

55 months ago

I have been in a field for 5 years as DA. My first dentist, that I worked for 4 years was actually nice and respectfull, until new hygienist was hired and she was total B....he let her do anything because she was "THE PRODUCER", which I understand. I left, because I wasnt going to let her control me and treat me like I have to do everything for her(the laziest and most manipulative person ever). My second job, actualy made me almost quit the dental field. I totaly understand everybody's feelings and emotions. I only lasted 10 months, Dr was the most disrespectful and arogant pig. I understand that they are under a lot of stress and I know what dental assisting involves, ut nobody deserves to be treated the way most of the Doctors are. I was always trying to do the extra step to make sure that everything runs smooth, but it just doesnt matter. No matter what u do, u r the one at fault and feeling degraded most of the time.They dont care about us. I used to love being DA,the interaction with patients, the procedures, the days goes fast. I just finally finished prerequisites and gor accepted to dental hygiene school. Hoping I will gain more respect and find the right practice with great Dr.I still love dental field but I dont want to be DA anymore. Although I do believe there have to be Drs who will treat DA as adult persons,with respect and appreciation for hard work.
I am wishing all of u a lot of luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Carin in Houston, Texas

55 months ago

I am switching to hygiene asap. You will be the office B**tch
At least you aren't working in the hospitals, being a ward clerk is being the office b**ch

Some Dentists are true freaks, and evil beyond words. Some Hygienists are self-centered divas. Some Assistants are lazy, idiots.
Ha! Try the Doctors, RN'S,LVN'S, CNA's, Family

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

mgypsy62 in Littleton, Colorado

54 months ago

bslippers in Saint Paul, Minnesota said: Hey folks I feel your pain. I have worked in the dental field for over 20 years. I began as a dental assistant (Doctor trained) in Wisconsin. I moved to Pennsylvania and worked as a Dental Assistant after passing the required Radiology testing. I studied, on my own and tested out with a B+. I was able to perform all functions in both states as a DA including radiographs and coronal polishing. (Granted, this was quite a few years ago) Along came the EFDA which included more techincal training including admin of N202 etc. and I made the transition to Front Office. I've been in Management for the last 15. I've seen every weird/odd scenario you could possibly imagine. Some Dentists are true freaks, and evil beyond words. Some Hygienists are self-centered divas. Some Assistants are lazy, idiots. That being said. I've met some truly wonderful and inspiring clinical folks who work tirelessly every day to provide a positive team approach, skillfully care for their patients and are committed in every way to make a difference in the lives of others. I salute those professionals and cannot thank them enough for giving me the motivation to hang in there when confronted with the first group of losers I mentioned. It's sad, but I have lost my passion for the dental field. I simply find too few of the latter group anymore. The last Dentist I worked for was a bully and a pig. I'm done. Having worked in both front and back, clinical and non-clinical (I was also an EMT), I have to say that Dental Assistants oftentimes get the ****-end of the stick. Everyone expects to have a piece of them and they are pulled in 10 different directions. Unfortunately, I think they are overloaded by working with other assistants who are lazy or incompetent and hygienists who think they are too important to clean up after themselves. Just how many jobs are you supposed to do for one salary, anyway?

I totally agree and am so frustrated after 20 +

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mgypsy62 in Boise, Idaho

54 months ago

I would not rec. this job to anyone these days. This area has 5 schools putting out assistants alone....dentist are difficult and best...and are not good employers. They might be good at what they do, but are not able to be good at dentistry, good with patients, good with employees and just humble at the end of the day.

I've known more assistans that have health issues that are related to the doctors they have worked for...its so sad! I love what I do, I love working with patients and meeting such a wide variety of people....but the stress that the doctor puts into the office by being there is so hard to deal with..makes me sorry I went into this field.

I also agree with the other stressor in the office are the hygienist. I have known some great ones and they are good friends. I have also worked with some of the most idiotic people in my life, and wonder how they got thru school!

Is there a reason why..in this field where we should be caring..we cannot just do our jobs completely....and support our co workers? The dental office should not be split into 3 different areas and all against each other.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

From reading these forums, persue your degree in the U.S. as a dentist, just don't become a jerk and mistreat the dental assistants.
Since you've obtain your dental education in India, the American dentist will most likely respect you as a peer, if you worked as an assistant or hygienist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

First of all, trying to be a dental assistant is hopeless. You must have experience first, and nobody will hire you if you don't have experience. Catch 22. It has been a complete waste of time attending school for this. I graduated with certification last December, and not a job has come through for me at all.

You ever notice there are more and more job availabilities from dentists looking for bi-lingual dental assistants? Yet those are the jobs that pay the least? So being able to speak Spanish actually forces you to be paid less.

why is it being a dental assistant is paid less than the secretary? Don't get that at all. COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Fort Campbell, Tennessee

54 months ago

Lorrie in Mississauga, Ontario said: Dental assisting is the most humiliating job ever!

i agree i was office trained and have been assisting for 6 years every employer has treated us like garbage do they teach that in dental school

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

dentalWONDER in Genoa City, Wisconsin

54 months ago

it basically comes down to respect. If you find a dds who respects you- you're
dental-life will be great.

Also respect is determined on how much you KNOW.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

mktbhat in Whidbey Island, Washington

54 months ago

Shannon, is there an opening in the office you're working in?

;o)

Mktbhat

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

i can't even get a job since i received certification last December. No body wants to hire a person with no experience. Round and round...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

God bless you for trying in California. I hear you have to have certification out the wazoo to even get a dental assisting job there.

Frankie in La Verne, California said: OMG i agree with a lot of you guys on here!! I TOO HATE BEING A DENTAL ASSISTANT!! I CRY WHEN I COME HOME A LOT OF THE TIMES. YOU DO HAVE TO READ THE DR.S MIND! IVE BEEN TO 4 DIFFERENT OFFICES ALREADY! AND EVERY OFFICE, EVERY DR. WORKS DIFFERENTLY!
I WENT TO SCHOOL FOR BEING A DANTAL ASSISTANT, ANNNND NOW..WITH OUT MY RDA ..IM ONLY MAKING $10 :-/ which is nothing.
Funny story about not having my RDA... Ok so i passed the Practical.. but i still have to take the written exam. Ok so i went in to take my test when they said "wait you cant take it today, your last name doesnt match!" (i had gotten married thats why!) sooo, they gave me a number to call (CA Dental Board) so THE NEXT DAY, i MAIL OUT copies of my marriage liscense n my new address. 2 weeks later!..i get a voice msg, SAYING that it was all changed...soo thennn i call the Testing center & NOTHING! THEY HAVE NO RECORD OF MY NEW LAST NAME IN THEIR SYSTEM! In the meantime i look ONLINE at the test im registerd for and THE DENTAL BOARD REGISTERD ME FOR THE WRNG TEST!!! So in the mean time ive been trying to get a hold of the Dental Board by calling,faxing,emailing them to get them to Reg. me for the RIGHT TESST.. 1 month later i still have not heard from them... Im just soooo soo frustrated with this, with my job.. i am seriously considering switching my career..this was the icing on the cake.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Kent, Ohio

54 months ago

Have any of you complainers ever worked anywhere before you became a DA? EVERY boss is a jerk in today's economy. Every job I have ever had in ANY field has been run by an a**hole. That's just how it is. I am scratching my head wondering why you think it's endemic to the DA field ... ??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

old timer in Seattle, Washington

54 months ago

Does anyone know about working as an assistant in Utah? My step daughter is thinking about becoming a dental assistant. She lives in Ogden,UT. I was wondering about availibility of jobs, certification and wages for assistants in the Ogden area. I'm in the Seattle area. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

i highly suggest she works for a friend that is a dentist with a dentist office first. It's next to impossible now to get a dental assisting job without experience first hand. With the economy as it is, dental hygienist will easily take the job a dental assistant applies for...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sofia Medina in Los Angeles, California

54 months ago

WOW... I thought it was shocking to find so many sharing same of the same feelings. I have felt like that too, overworked and unappreciated, but I was really the one in fault for putting myself their and surrounding myself with folks like that.

This "community" of sharing ( for some venting ) and support is really helpful, and can be very beneficial for the newbies and the old fart's :)

I think dental assistants should switch their mindset from seeing their position as just a J.O.B to a much more fulfilling role, for some its a career, a passion, someone who is a health care provider, or a journey for growth. Depending on what you want out of your ONE life, if you can grasp this concept you will be a more empowered assistant.

In my opinion, dental assisting IS as much as profession as dental hygiene. Because of what I bring to the table, my work ethic, my restless attitude to grow, my entrepreneurial spirit, all this WORTH just as much as the dentist and the hygienist work. I believe this and I live it.

Reflecting and mediating too much on the "negativity surrounding us" will literally dig up a GRAVE for us. so first we must....

WAKE UP!!!!!!!

WAKE UP!!!!!!!

WAKE UP!!!!!!!

WAKE UP!!!!!!!

WAKE UP!!!!!!!

Now that you're up check out my profile website, see if this is that one puzzle that has been missing in your dental career. For me it was :)

Cheers

Sofia Medina
www.RRIBO.com/medina

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Ka Yang in Plant City, Florida

54 months ago

I feel that within any field there will be negativity. Prove to that practice that you are an ASSET to them!! Bad dental assistants come and go but the good ones stay for good. Take your time and find a good dentist. There are good ones out there!! Im not just going to walk into any office and take the job. I know that I cannot work in an office and NOT be comfortable. Its about yourself too, not just some jerk that you are working for. Take some pride in Dental Field and go find yourself a better doc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

jESSICA in Spokane, Washington

53 months ago

Ka Yang in Plant City, Florida said: I feel that within any field there will be negativity. Prove to that practice that you are an ASSET to them!! Bad dental assistants come and go but the good ones stay for good. Take your time and find a good dentist. There are good ones out there!! Im not just going to walk into any office and take the job. I know that I cannot work in an office and NOT be comfortable. Its about yourself too, not just some jerk that you are working for. Take some pride in Dental Field and go find yourself a better doc.

WOW NOW I AM SCARED....I AM HALF WAY THROUGH DENTAL ASSISTING SCHOOL...AND SO FAR I LOVE LEARNING ABOUT EVERYTHING...IM IN x-RAY NOW...I HAVE ABOUT 6 MONTHS TO GO. mY PLAN IS TO GO TO dENTAL HYGENIST SCHOOL LATER AFTER I GET SOME EXPERIENCE IN THE DENTAL FEILD...BUT AFTER READING ALL OF THIS NEGATIVE TALK....MAYBE I NEED TO FIND ANOTHER CAREER. I HAVE MY AA IN BUSNINESS MANAGEMENT BUT THAT DIDNT DO ANYTHING FOR ME SO I CHOOSE THE DENTAL FEILD NOT JUST TO HELP PEOPLE. BUT TO HAVE GREAT BENEFITS AND BECAUSE I WANT TO WORK IN THE HEALTH CARE FEILD BECAUSE IT SEEMS IT IS A STABLE JOB. I AM A SINGLE MOTHER GOING TO SCHOOL AND IT IS HARD, I HOPE THIS IS ONLY SAD DEPRESSED PEOPLE ON HERE. I AM IN GREAT SHAPE I LOOK PROFESSIONAL I HOPE THAT HELPS ME FINDING A JOB. I KNOW THAT SOUNDS FUNNY BUT I KNOW THATS WHAT DENTISTS LOOK FOR.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Michael Waters

53 months ago

Aman! :) you seem like someone i would want to work with! You seem like an ally! Haha I want your email in case questions arise.:) I'm gonna be taking a rda course and despite the negativity that's displayed here, your comment brings hope to this forum.:) peoples negative attitudes play a part in any job place aside from being a hermite. :P and even the you might start yelling at * billy bob Joe * lol jk. Dentists do seem to tend toward the same god complex as surgeons or doctors... but most are just as unhappy as the rest of the workforce in America and the rest of the world because of the lack of Love Christ shown on Gal-Galltha, in them. The key to such oppressive forces in the work place is to not let the root of bitterness take root in Ur heart from the people you work with/for.

If you don't like cleaning or being an rda by all means find another job. That's completely understandable. But hating the job and not liking the people you work for are two totally different things. :)

Ragemwaters@yahoo.com. :) add me Shannon, maybe you can give me pointers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.