? about working interview

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 212)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Fawn in Merced, California

78 months ago

adrian in Castleford, United Kingdom said: what is a working interview i have 1 on monday for five hours
what go on

are you getting paid for it??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Teri in Redding, California

78 months ago

I've gone on 2 working interviews.
The first one paid me for 5 hours.
The second one I've not heard from yet.
I did not accept the first job. It was a good office. Just not quite what I am looking for at this time.
I like the working interview. It gives you and the office a chance to see if its a 'fit'
The next time I do this though I will ask upfront what the pay is for the working interview.
One office said they pay minimum wage Ah 'no'
T

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Sacramento, California

74 months ago

My daughter has a working interview with a dentist for two weeks. Doesn't that seem like a long time? If she doesn't get paid for her time, is it against the law?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (55) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Lisa in Sacramento, California said: My daughter has a working interview with a dentist for two weeks. Doesn't that seem like a long time? If she doesn't get paid for her time, is it against the law?

No 2 weeks isnt a long time. thats about how long mine was. And yes its against the law if she doesnt get paid for her time! make sure they pay her! i got paid ten dollars an hour. . . well im still working there and i still get 10 an hour! haha and it depends on the office/dentist on how much the dental assistant gets paid. sometimes, its not so good. just depends on the dentist

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Toni Fargo,R.D.A. in Sacramento, California

74 months ago

No RDA should be paid less than $22.00 an hour. My last job in Sac., $25.00 + benefit's.
Working interview is only ONE-DAY and make sure you ask "will this be a paid working interview?" I was stiffed only once. I will not give my John-Hancock on paper to work for free when Dentist make millions each year.

You gal's that are DA'S and make less than $18.00 are letting these DDS'S keep Asst's on the low end of the totem-pole.

You could make more money bagging groceries & not be exposed to hepatitis, aids,and other diseases.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Disclaimer

How much money does a dental assistant earn in Bakersfield California?
In: Salary and Pay Rates

Answer

$38.01 an hour ( I did a Google ? & this is what was posted )

Again no RDA to work less than $20.00 an hour ( thats w/limited exp.,)
and no DA to work less than $18.00 an hour in CA.
NO FREE RIDES FOR DENTIST _ ALL WORKING INTERVIEWS ONE DAY ONLY & MUST BE PAID

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Sacramento, California

74 months ago

Thanks to everyone who responded to my inquiry. My daughter is not yet a RDA but plans on becoming one. I will make sure and pass this information forward to her. I'm afraid that DA's do not make that much money where she will be working, but it's a nice amount to look forward to. I will tell my daughter to ask about the working interview and how much she will be paid for her time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ruthie in Orange Park, Florida

74 months ago

I am an EFDA in orange park Florida with 8 years of Dental Assistant exp, does anyone knows how much they pay? OR should you tell how much you want to get paid on an interview, if the Dentist ask you that question? OR SHOULD YOU LET THE INTERVIEWER TELL YOU HOW MUCH THEY PAY?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Ruthie,

You are never worth more than the time of hire.

You have to ASK for what you WANT !

Dentistry is a multi-million-dollar-business, if you young gal are intent on making
above minimum wage, while your Dentist enjoys his hundred dollar bottle of wine at his for star
restaurant.
You could earn a living serving coffee & not be exposed to aids & hepatitis.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Sorry Ruthie,

don't work less than 20.00 with benifits.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Anita

74 months ago

I have a hard time finding a job right . I finale got some interview's. Do you have any tips what i can do to make a great impression at the dental office. Please help me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

If Barack Obama, thought the way you do, He wouldn't be the man he is today.

What will all the young people cry-out, after he becomes President ???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

Alicia in Brooklyn, New York

74 months ago

Hi Everyone,
How can I become a Dental Assistant? I'm a Medical Assistant, and I am looking to change my career. Since I have experience in Medical Assisting, will I have to take as many classes to become a DA as someone who has no healthcare experience at all? Is there anyone here who is a MA and a DA and can tell me which career is better?
Thank You.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MYLIFE in Dallas, Texas

74 months ago

Alicia in Brooklyn, New York said: Hi Everyone,
How can I become a Dental Assistant? I'm a Medical Assistant, and I am looking to change my career. Since I have experience in Medical Assisting, will I have to take as many classes to become a DA as someone who has no healthcare experience at all? Is there anyone here who is a MA and a DA and can tell me which career is better?
Thank You.

hello I am just getting out of DA SCHOOL and I like it better than being in the general nursing field, it is big adjustment but man u learn so MUCH that u may never have even thought of, but research in your area pay and things of that nature and call around some dentist offices and ask are they willing to train if not ask if u can look on for aday so you can see what it is we do. let them know you want a career change and they may just hire you and you wont have to PAY FOR SCHOOL.. YOU CAN WORK UNDER DENTIST FOR 12 MTHS UNTIL YOU HAVE TO TAKE YOUR RDA GOOD LUCK 2 YOU.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

MYLIFE in Dallas, Texas

74 months ago

Toni Fargo,R.D.A. in Sacramento, California said: No RDA should be paid less than $22.00 an hour. My last job in Sac., $25.00 + benefit's.
Working interview is only ONE-DAY and make sure you ask "will this be a paid working interview?" I was stiffed only once. I will not give my John-Hancock on paper to work for free when Dentist make millions each year.

You gal's that are DA'S and make less than $18.00 are letting these DDS'S keep Asst's on the low end of the totem-pole.

You could make more money bagging groceries & not be exposed to hepatitis, aids,and other diseases.

THAT'S EXCELLENT MONEY BUT ALL STATES AND CITIES do not pay like that... I mean lets be honest the cost of living in CALI.... IS CRAZY SO YOU WOULD HAVE TO BE PAID LIKE THAT.... SO I SUGGEST OTHER READER'S NOT TO GO ASKING FOR THAT AMOUNT DEPENDING ON WHERE YOU LIVE, YOU MAY ASK YOURSELF OUT OF A JOB

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

I got stuck doing a working interview with a Periodontist.
Oh he sent me a $10.00 Starbucks card. What a putz!
The wages in Redding are around $16.00 or $17.00 with very little benefits.
I make 21.00 but have been at this job for 20 years.
Now that my dentist is going to retire I'm looking.

Ruthie in Orange Park, Florida

74 months ago

I just start working in a dental office about 2 months ago, my problems are:they only open 2 and half days a week and offer to pay me $14 and hour. The people are great to work with, but a can't stand my pay check. I have 8 years of dental exp, it doesn't feel right to cash those check. My question is; Should I just quit? or!!!!!!!!Look for another job first? I can not find the right office in orange park Florida.
ANY SUGGESTION!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

I suggest looking for a second job. wouldnt hurt to have 2 jobs 2 days a week each. :D

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ann C. in San Diego, California

74 months ago

Toni Fargo,R.D.A. in Sacramento, California said: Disclaimer

How much money does a dental assistant earn in Bakersfield California?
In: Salary and Pay Rates

Answer

$38.01 an hour ( I did a Google ? & this is what was posted )

Again no RDA to work less than $20.00 an hour ( thats w/limited exp.,)
and no DA to work less than $18.00 an hour in CA.
NO FREE RIDES FOR DENTIST _ ALL WORKING INTERVIEWS ONE DAY ONLY & MUST BE PAID

I highly doubt that a dental assistant would make $38/hr. This hourly rate is closer to what hygienists make. The hourly range for dental assistants is usually $12-$18/hr. It just depends on the office and the area you live in. Dental assistants that work in specialty offices are usually paid at a higher rate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Hyg.,'s earn $55.00-$60.00 per hour. As a RDA last year I made 42,000.00

Any RDA who works for less than $20.00 an hour should go work in a grocery store.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

The 18 to 20.00 an hour is more accurate.
Does anyone have the exact law that states working interviews have to be paid?
It would be good to be able to quote it when being asked to do one.
thanks T

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Brittany in Richmond, Virginia

73 months ago

I know that this is a weird question, but i have a 1 1/2 experience in assisting. What should i be paid? I think that the Dr. i am working for is being cheap beacuse he knows that i don't know the going rate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kat in Kissimmee, Florida

73 months ago

In Florida the pay is LESS!!! If you can find an office that pays you more than $15 an hour then you better not leave!! Unless you live in South Beach or an upscale area, that is about all you will make!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Anita

73 months ago

Kat you are very right with the pay in florida.
Tou would be very lucky when they start you up with 15 dollars in hour i got only 10$ dollars offered in the interviews I had. Good luck by finding a good Dr. in Flroida.

nicole in Moreno Valley, California

72 months ago

I had a working interview at Loma Linda medical center, The Dr.asked me to come back for the rest of the week and told me that I did a termendous job. Do you think i'll get hired? and how much do DA's start off at working in a dental clinic at the hospital?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dee in Dayton, Ohio

72 months ago

Teri in Redding, California said: The 18 to 20.00 an hour is more accurate.
Does anyone have the exact law that states working interviews have to be paid?
It would be good to be able to quote it when being asked to do one.
thanks T

I have worked them before an always got paid. D. from
Dayton, Ohio

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Anna in Oakhurst, California

72 months ago

I am considering getting back into dental assisting. I had almost 10 years experience when I quit to have my last baby - 14 years ago :)

How hard do you think it would be to go back into it with all the different materials, etc.?

Does anyone have a clue what salary I should ask for having been out of the business for so long and likely being very rusty?

If I can't make at least $15 per hour, I don't want to waste anyone's time.

Thanks in advanced for any advise you might have. I would be looking for work in the Merced, Mariposa or Oakhurst, CA area.

jane in Buffalo, New York

71 months ago

Lisa in Sacramento, California said: My daughter has a working interview with a dentist for two weeks. Doesn't that seem like a long time? If she doesn't get paid for her time, is it against the law?

SOUNDS LIKE HE JUST WANTS FREE HELP FOR 2 WEEKS IF HE ISN;T GOING TO PAY YOUR DAUGHTER- I;D ASK FIRST IF HE;S GOING TO PAY HER IF NOT- DON;T GO--

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Natayle in Pompano Beach, Florida

71 months ago

I have been a dental assistant for two years, and I think many people are getting the wrong idea in this forum. Your pay depends entirely on your region. I worked in Wyoming and the most experienced assistant got paid $14/hr. I now live in South Florida, and the pay is relatively the same. Most starting wages for RDA are $12/hr & up. Also, the idea for Dental Hygienists is very off. I am going to school in Florida, and the average annual pay for a RDH is $60,000/yr. The hourly wage is usually around $30.00. If you are a RDA and you are making $30.00/hr, you have struck a gold mine. I do not know ANY dentist that would be willing to pay a RDA $30.00/hr when they went to only 12 months of school, vs. their 8+yrs of school for $100+/hr. The best site for this information is www.bls.gov it gives you all the current statistics.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

shargrove410

70 months ago

Fawn DA in Modesto, California said: I have a working interview next week and the dr. wants me to come in as much as possible mon-thurs. I am so nervous because they know I just graduated and I am very new, but at the same time I'm scared they will just throw me in there! and say lets go!! haha any advice?? please let me know what to expect on a working interview. and is it a good thing that he wants me there as much as possible?? im thinking it is haha! thanks a lot!

If this doctor want you to come in as much as possible, he should at least, pay you for your time. Yes, most of the time they just throw you in there and expect you to blend in. I've been a dental assistant for thirteen years and I am seeking a job. I have been on a few interviews and believ me, I have no clue about extactly what they want. I know that they expect you to be able to pass instruments correctly and according to procedure. Remember, every dentist has his own way of doing things, right down to passing instruments and what instruments they perfer to use. No matter what, you will be train to do things the way they want you to do things. I still get nervous when I go on interviews. You'll do great!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Desi in Oakhurst, California

70 months ago

I think the working interview is a great idea. I am so picky about what dentist and office I want to commit to. I have been out of the business now for 15 years, but when I interviewed before, I had a few key questions for the dentist. It's also good to be able to size up your co-workers and decide if they are people that you want to spend your days with. I am considering going back to dental now, but from past experience, the dentist and staff have to be great people. There isn't enough money in the world to work with vendictive staff or a tempormental dentist.

Have confidence and make sure they are as right for you as you are for them. Going to lunch together is a great way to break the ice.

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer Graves in Fishers, Indiana

70 months ago

Hi,

I'm 52 years old and thinking of going into DA school, do you think being this age would be a problem. I am currently a personal trainer. My business is slow and need a stable career. But I'm nervous I'll spend this money to be trained and no one will hire me! any comments??
Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Go for it. You sound like you are fit and ambitious. Your age will be an asset to the dentist who is looking for a stable assistant. Likely you won't get pregnant or have small children needing you to stay home when they are sick. That is often the struggle with most assistants who are young and starting families.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer Graves in Fishers, Indiana

70 months ago

thank you Desi, for your reply, I appreciate it. Those are my thoughts too, but you know you get some dentist who want to look at the young chicks. Sorry if I sound bitter, I'm probably on the wrong forum for that subject, Ha!

thanks again!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Well, you are probably right, but who wants to work for a dentist who thinks he's running a modeling agency? There are good ones out there. You will do well and be appreciated for who you are and where you are in life.

NEW DA in Reseda, California

64 months ago

I just finished my dental assisting course a month ago, am on internship now i dont like the office where i am at now, and the dentist has offered me $9.00 an hour and he tells us to save everything, use same hand gloves, masks, and mixing pads etc, i dont feel comfortable working there what should i do...i feel that i have wasted my time and money by taking this course when i wont get paid well...i love my back office work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

i need some advice, am really upset about this whole thing !

x-shopping-pro in Fishers, Indiana

64 months ago

NEW DA in Reseda, California said: i need some advice, am really upset about this whole thing !

I just finished my school also (Feb.), I've had a few interviews but no offers. Most of them are wanting experience or a younger person I'm 52. I am discouraged as well. I spent a lot of money to go to school. I have to work to pay bills so I'm looking at any type of job. I hate to think that I wasted all that money too. It has to be paid back if I'm in dentistry or something different. You are not alone!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mercy in Chicago, Illinois

64 months ago

Toni Fargo,R.D.A. in Sacramento, California said: No RDA should be paid less than $22.00 an hour. My last job in Sac., $25.00 + benefit's.

Here Here ! You are so right !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Toni Fargo,R.D.A. in Sacramento, California said: Hyg.,'s earn $55.00-$60.00 per hour. As a RDA last year I made 42,000.00

Any RDA who works for less than $20.00 an hour should go work in a grocery store.

I hear what you're syaing but you should also mention that it dependes on what state you live in. DA's in Indiana don't make as much as they do in California.

64 months ago

Mercy in Chicago, Illinois said: I hear what you're saying but you should also mention that it depends on what state you live in. DA's in Indiana don't make as much as they do in California.

oops...spelling errors...was typing too fast.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Mercy in Chicago, Illinois said: Here Here ! You are so right !

You would be laughed out of the office if you said you wanted 18.00 an hour in Indianapolis, maybe thats for expanded and experience but not starting out. Your lucky to get 12.00 in the beginning.

64 months ago

x-shopping-pro in Fishers, Indiana said: You would be laughed out of the office if you said you wanted 18.00 an hour in Indianapolis, maybe thats for expanded and experience but not starting out. Your lucky to get 12.00 in the beginning.

You are lucky that someone has offered you $12.00, i'd be happy to start with $12.00...i really worked hard in school,am studying for my RDA now, $9.00 is really upsetting me and my families think i have wasted my $ by attending this course because my brother is making good $, and i have a student loan to pay....i would have taken $9.00 but that office sucks.we dont even get to eat lunch properly and no breaKS NOTHING, JUST WORK LIKE MACHINES :(

64 months ago

NEW DA in Reseda, California said: You are lucky that someone has offered you $12.00, i'd be happy to start with $12.00...i really worked hard in school,am studying for my RDA now, $9.00 is really upsetting me and my families think i have wasted my $ by attending this course because my brother is making good $, and i have a student loan to pay....i would have taken $9.00 but that office sucks.we dont even get to eat lunch properly and no breaKS NOTHING, JUST WORK LIKE MACHINES :(

I'm surprised that in California you would start out so low in pay, but I don't know where your located. I say you would get 12.00 here but honestly I haven't had anyone offer me a job in dental to know for sure. I was offered a position for front desk at a small new hotel so I took it, because I needed to work. But I'm actually pretty excited about it. I hate that I have to pay back this loan also. If you don't have to have that sucky job I wouldn't take it,nothing is worst that to wake up every morning to a job that stresses you out. Good luck, keep looking. I did have two interviews next week for part time positions but that won't work for me and I didn't know if they would offer me the job, so I took the hotel position.

Chin up, something will happen soon!

64 months ago

sylvia hargrove in Columbus, Ohio said: I am a dental assistant and I reloated from Maryland to Columbus, Ohio. I have been a dental asst. for 12 years and worked for the same practice for 12 years. Sense I moved to Ohio, I have worked for one dentist for almost 2 months. He was the dentist from hell. He was rude to me, he had no patience with me, very nasty disposition,he would snatch instruments out of my hand, talk very mean to me in front of the patients. He would get very nasty when I asked him questions, he would talk down to me, make a long story short, I went out to lunch and never came back. That dentist really did a number on my self estem. I had stop looking for a dental asst. position for a few mnths. Now, I am back out there trying to find a dental office that I like. I find that working interviews are okay, but no matter what, you have to be trained to do things the way another dentist like things done, and that is right down to the instruments he like to use on certain treatments. All dentist does not work the same. Some dentist like to pick up there own instruments,some dentist only want you to do certain things when you chair side with them. Bottom line is, you just don't know what they expect from you. All I know is that I will not work for an office that treat me like crap and I won't let another dentist talk to me like I'm dirt under his shoes. No one should have to endure that type of treatment. On top of that, the dentist that I walked out on, he cared nothing about infection control. I really think it is harder to get a dental position when you reach your 50's no matter how good of a dental asst. you think you are.Most dentist rather let a good employee walk out the door rather than hire a older and experienced, reliable person. that's just my opinion. Like one of the writers stated, no amount of money is worth getting mistreated. I rather work in a pie factory!

I agree 100%!!!!

64 months ago

x-shopping-pro in Fishers, Indiana said: I'm surprised that in California you would start out so low in pay, but I don't know where your located. I say you would get 12.00 here but honestly I haven't had anyone offer me a job in dental to know for sure. I was offered a position for front desk at a small new hotel so I took it, because I needed to work. But I'm actually pretty excited about it. I hate that I have to pay back this loan also. If you don't have to have that sucky job I wouldn't take it,nothing is worst that to wake up every morning to a job that stresses you out. Good luck, keep looking. I did have two interviews next week for part time positions but that won't work for me and I didn't know if they would offer me the job, so I took the hotel position.

Chin up, something will happen soon!

Thanks for ur sweet reply, am also applying, am in Reseda.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

x-shopping-pro in Fishers, Indiana said: I agree 100%!!!!

you are so right.i dont know why they treat us like crap.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Anna in Mariposa, California

64 months ago

Wow...girls I am shocked that you are getting paid $9 per hour and being worked liked machines. I had the same experience, but that was 15 years ago! Wages had to go up by now. I know the dentist prices have.

Cali labor laws require that you have a 10 minute break every so many hours plus 30 minutes for lunch. I was pregnant and working without any breaks all day while the Dentist went into his office and ate (my lunch that I would offer to share with him) and took lots of breaks while I was taking xrays,cleaning rooms, etc. He walked all over me and then fired me when his assistant was ready to come back from maternity leave.

I was a little bitter, so I went to the labor board and filed a claim. My former co-workers were then afforded breaks and lunch. I was really happy.

Working interviews...those are new to me, but they sounds like a good opportunity for you to decide whether you want to work for that dentist. They tend to show their colors as soon as they are under pressure.

Sylvia - I am so proud of you girl. I don't know how some dentists feel that they can treat people that way. I have worked for some myself, but I can tell you - I have worked for good ones too and there is nothing better!

Keep shopping, believe in your dream of being a DA or RDA. The world needs you, but you are worth way too much to be treated badly for one minute!

It is a great career. I wish you all the best and hope you all find really good dentists to work for.

Cheers to you all!

NEW DA from reseda in Reseda, California

64 months ago

yep we get paid $9.00 per hour, work like machines, get treated like crap, and work only 32 hours per week, cant even afford to pay my bills, so upsetting.

Crystal Hastings in Camden, Tennessee

64 months ago

In my Senior English class we are assigned the project of Career researching, for one of my activities I am to interview one person from the career area that most interests me. would anyone be interested in answering questions for me, if so email me at c_hastings09@yahoo.com

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.