Having no experience

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 181)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Foster in Saint Louis, Missouri

78 months ago

I'm interested in becoming a dental assistant. I have no experience in the field. Is it possible for dental facilities to hire you without dental knowledge and if so how difficult would that be? I've heard of people getting hired without prior experience, but would I be setting myself up for frustration. I've applied for assisting positions, but surprise surprise no one has called me for interviews.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (315) / No (50) Reply - Report abuse

Jessica in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

78 months ago

You can get a job, but it is hard because everyone wants experience. So keep trying someone will hire you. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Carrie in Minneapolis, Minnesota

78 months ago

Have you had any schooling for Dental Assisting. I didn't have time to go to college but I did have time to go to a weekend program that was every Saturday, in office, hands on. With this I was able to get my foot in the door. I have been a dental assistant now for 15 years and I never went to college for it! Try to find somewhere that will do on the job training if you can't put in the time for school. Good luck! It is a great field to work in!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (47) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Jess in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

78 months ago

Thanks. no, I don't have any DA training. I do have a bach degree in biology. So i don't have the formal training but i do have some of the biology and chem background.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

caution in Toronto, Ontario

78 months ago

Jess, why not try sending out your resume or look in the job section and apply.

You may get lucky and find a dentist who is willing to train you on the job.

As well you may be able to do the job and take the course on a part time basis.

Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Connie in Warrensburg in Jefferson City, Missouri

78 months ago

You can but the chances are really slim now unless the dentist helps with furthing your education. Im graduating from dental school in August and the jobs I have applied for want at least 1-2 year experince. Then you have to worry about getting your expanded functions. Best advice is to just go to dental assitant school it only took me 9 months at Concorde Career College.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tasha in Jacksonville, Florida

77 months ago

esperanza in Melbourne, Florida said: Im dental assistant ,i have my expandies duties and x-ray but I have no experience .i apply every where .most of the doctor ask for 2 years experience .I dont know what to do??????

Look in the phone book, hand out resumes, call offices, post your resume online. Yea its hard to get into the field and I have 1 year of experience and I went on 10 interviews and tommorow makes the 11th and I'm CDA/RDA and I have an x-ray license.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

dee in Arlington, Virginia

77 months ago

Dental assisting is one of those professions where you can get a job.If you have a beautiful smile you are already hired. Be willing to take the lowest pay on the scale while in training. Ask lots of questions. Look,listen and learn. I am a veteran dental assistant who started out as a volunteer for the red Cross.

dental Assisting looks like a glamorous job and it can be if you make it that. You must be extremely organized in your head if not youcan always learn organizational skills. Remember nothing stops you from getting that DA job but you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

DENTAL 4 YOU in Jacksonville, Florida

77 months ago

I'm sorry, but, I totally have to disagree with you. It's up to the dentist/ office manager on rather they want to hire you. I've never, in life, had a problem getting a job, until I moved to Florida. It's very easy for some people to get a job than others, but just because it was easy for you means does not mean it will be easy for me, or just because it not easy for me doesn't mean it will be challenging for you. Dental assisting is what you make it, and I love everything about assisting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Caroline in Washington, District of Columbia

76 months ago

I'm a dental assistant with no experience,I apply every where but no one has called me for interwiews ,I'm getting sad about that,don't know what to do!! any advice please.... to caritochaucca@hotmail.com......Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

199 in Palm Bay, Florida

76 months ago

Caroline in Washington, District of Columbia said: Hi Esperanza are you spanish???

yes Im spanish why ??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Trina in Lakeland, Florida said: Has anyone completed the DAT's program? It is two nights a week for nine weeks. I was thinking of doing this course, but not sure if it is a good idea or if anyone will hire me.

I took a course for eleven weeks and I feel like I wasted my money. Dentists will still want experience and a 9 week course will not give you the confidence. Basically it's a crash course. I've been applying but afraid to say I have a certificate cause then I'll be expected to know how to do everything. I recently applied to a place that required no experience and offer on the job training. Wish me luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

dee

75 months ago

The DATS program is worthless, from someone in Tampa who took it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dee

75 months ago

I took it as a refresher course after being out of the biz for many yrs and they barely skimmed over the materials. The girls in the class who had no previous training felt they got nothing out of it and the ones I kept in touch with were not able to land jobs. Put the money to use elsewhere.

Heather

74 months ago

i am trying to decide on taking a DA class at Penn Foster Career School. Am I just wasting my time? Has anyone succeeded from taking a class there?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

dixieroad44 in Lakeland, Florida

74 months ago

esperanza in Melbourne, Florida said: Im dental assistant ,i have my expandies duties and x-ray but I have no experience .i apply every where .most of the doctor ask for 2 years experience .I dont know what to do??????

i'm a dental assistant since 1986. the dental field is very different.
i love doing what i do but in some cases the most difficult is replacing someone that has worked with a dr. for alot of yrs.. or if an assistant is still working for him all these yrs. it makes it difficult..
working in florida is very different. for me not a good experience...
i wish u all the luck in the world in finding ur job as an assistant..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

DENTAL 4 YOU in Jacksonville, Florida said: I'm sorry, but, I totally have to disagree with you. It's up to the dentist/ office manager on rather they want to hire you. I've never, in life, had a problem getting a job, until I moved to Florida. It's very easy for some people to get a job than others, but just because it was easy for you means does not mean it will be easy for me, or just because it not easy for me doesn't mean it will be challenging for you. Dental assisting is what you make it, and I love everything about assisting.

you are so right. i find some of the women are very difficult to work with.
especially when their is a ring leader...

74 months ago

dee said: The DATS program is worthless, from someone in Tampa who took it.

your right it is a waste of time.... money down the drain....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Trina in Lakeland, Florida

74 months ago

Your right I am disappointed. I've been told to look for dental assistant jobs that will train you. I could have done that without the DAT'S program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

katherine in Winter Haven, Florida

74 months ago

stop conmplainig start job search i am!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

I already have.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tisha in Georgia in Atlanta, Georgia

74 months ago

Where do you take a refresher course for dental assistant I have out of the business for over 10 years?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

If you already have experience and take an eleven week class it should help you. Check the web for location nearest you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Thanks, but can you be more specific :0 I guess I am getting frustrated. I have called around to the local schools and they act as if I am speaking in an unknown tongue.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Tisha in Georgia in Atlanta, Georgia said: Thanks, but can you be more specific :0 I guess I am getting frustrated. I have called around to the local schools and they act as if I am speaking in an unknown tongue.

I really don't think there is a refresher course that you could take. The only course that I could think of are those quickie classes that are for eleven weeks but meet only on saturdays. Those classes are very expensive. I've took one and it cost me 2,000 dollars. It was a bad choice. I didn't get much out the class and they didn't even teach us how to use new equipment that dental offices use now a days such as digital x-rays.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Hey I finally got a job!! I've been applying for dental assisting on and off for a year and a half. Now I've landed an orthodontic technician position. So for those who have been applying for jobs. I know how frustrating it can be. Believe me I've been there. I've faxed, mailed, emailed offices left and right and by luck I finally will be working in the dental field. I would have never thought it would be this hard considering I see job openings in the paper and online all the time. Don't give up guys!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Congratulations! Good for you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

The eleven week class on Saturdays is what I meant or check if your state offers a DAT's program that is two nights during the week from 6pm to 10pm. If you already have experience being a dental assistant the class may be helpful for you to remember since your just out of practice. Taking this course with no experience is not very helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Got It !! Thanks :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Eichelberger in Tyler, Texas

73 months ago

i took a weekend course it cost 300$. on the the second day at the end of class we took the state board exam now mind you i knew nothing about the dental field when isigned up for the class, but i passed the test the FRIST time that i took it mith an 85. that was six monts ago and still no luck. ( I am getting very discruntled and discuraged) i just wanna give up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

I know how you feel. I did something similar and in the end I felt ripped off. I even had thoughts of suing. You are just going to have to cut your losses and try to go to a real dental assisting school. You may also try to apply to places that don't require experience. It is competitive and it will take a lot of time, but if this is truly the field you want to work in don't give up. It is possible to get a dental assisting job without experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jennesse in O Fallon, Missouri

73 months ago

I just finish Dental Assisting curse at Sanford-Brown College an I fell like been ripped off evey where I go and leave my resume the whant 2 to 5 years experiance but how will I get experiance if the dont give you a chace.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Jennesse in O Fallon, Missouri said: I just finish Dental Assisting curse at Sanford-Brown College an I fell like been ripped off evey where I go and leave my resume the whant 2 to 5 years experiance but how will I get experiance if the dont give you a chace.

Did the school offer an internship? You may try having the school call dental facilities for an internship or volunteer program. If the school won't maybe try offering those services yourself.

dee in Arlington, Virginia

73 months ago

I know very little about the school that you attended. Did they have a placement service? Try the temp agencies in your area,Dental power is an excellent one.It has offic nationwide.

73 months ago

No they dint have a placement service,every once in a wile they send me a lead from a Dental office.

73 months ago

Foster in Saint Louis, Missouri said: Did the school offer an internship? You may try having the school call dental facilities for an internship or volunteer program. If the school won't maybe try offering those services yourself.

Thansks thas a good idea.

Tammy in Conway, Arkansas

73 months ago

Jennesse in O Fallon, Missouri said: Thansks thas a good idea.

I have been a dental assistant for almost 20 years. We currently have a dental assistant that just finished a program in Arkansas and is doing her internship. She interviewed with a husband-wife dental team, and was very disappointed at the rate of pay offered (even though she badly needs a paying job). I told her, even though it sounds low now, it will go up considerably with experience. That is the "key". It is the same with any 4-year graduate with a bachelors degree in his field of choice, with a few exceptions. They must start out entry-level and advance with experience. When I went into it, I basically fell into it. A lot of employers in this field are looking for a very well-organized individual that can achieve multi-tasked duties, are attractive, very good with people, and can be tolerant of their demanding requirements.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jane in Buffalo, New York

73 months ago

Carrie in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: Have you had any schooling for Dental Assisting. I didn't have time to go to college but I did have time to go to a weekend program that was every Saturday, in office, hands on. With this I was able to get my foot in the door. I have been a dental assistant now for 15 years and I never went to college for it! Try to find somewhere that will do on the job training if you can't put in the time for school. Good luck! It is a great field to work in!

i also did the saturday da course offered in a upsclae high tec dental office- it gave me enough skills and knowledge to get a job as ada-- it took a few interviews -so just walk in with your head held high and be very excited-not to much and you will land one but don;t settle for anyone you also have the right to just as chosey as they are- i got offered a jod at an office getthis 3 weeks after the interview but i didn;t feel right after the interview so i turned it down figuring i could do much better then a drive thru dentist office and i did and i love it every day-- don;t give up---you'll find the right office even if it takes 2 or 3 jobs later you;ll know--

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Foster in Saint Louis, Missouri said: I took a course for eleven weeks and I feel like I wasted my money. Dentists will still want experience and a 9 week course will not give you the confidence. Basically it's a crash course. I've been applying but afraid to say I have a certificate cause then I'll be expected to know how to do everything. I recently applied to a place that required no experience and offer on the job training. Wish me luck.

i also tooka saturday 12 week course yes it is a crash course but if you study alot by yourslef you will learn- you already know the basics now alls you have to do is perfect them- i called my family dentist to see if i could come in and shadowa couple days a week and he let me so at least i saw how a office ran he looked at it as free labor but i also learned stuff and he showed me stuff- unfortunaltry he didn;t another da but hey at least i did it-- try that and i did get a jod as a da in aprivate practice just me and the dentist and one hygienist---also call where they taught the course and see if they have any names of dentits and send out resumes---send send send!!!

73 months ago

Eichelberger in Tyler, Texas said: i took a weekend course it cost 300$. on the the second day at the end of class we took the state board exam now mind you i knew nothing about the dental field when isigned up for the class, but i passed the test the FRIST time that i took it mith an 85. that was six monts ago and still no luck. ( I am getting very discruntled and discuraged) i just wanna give up.

dont; give up i took an 11 week saturdays only course and i got a job asa da it took time like 6 months but i got it-- try your family dentist if you can come in and shadow a day or two i did and it really helped-- don;t give up!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Thanks for the suport, but I'm sooooo' frustrated, I have been on 5 interviews and the all say that they will like to hire me but the need some one with expiriance like know so that takes me out the ball park.

73 months ago

Im don't what to give up but I don't whant to forget what I have learn in school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

William in Monmouth Junction, New Jersey

73 months ago

Hi...I want to get in the dental field...I have no experience...and so far what I see is that all assistants are females. So I'm assuming that it will be even harder for me to get a job because I'm a male?? BTW, i'll be starting college for dental hygiene next fall. I just want to get my foot in the door to get some experience. Any advice thanks.

Eichelberger in Tyler, Texas

73 months ago

you are going to do fine seeing as how you are going to go to school.... only advice that i can give is just try harder and be willing to drive to anywhere theres an opening.

73 months ago

William in Monmouth Junction, New Jersey said: Hi...I want to get in the dental field...I have no experience...and so far what I see is that all assistants are females. So I'm assuming that it will be even harder for me to get a job because I'm a male?? BTW, i'll be starting college for dental hygiene next fall. I just want to get my foot in the door to get some experience. Any advice thanks.

Actually you'll probably have a better chance because you are male. It is female dominated so that just makes you stand out. That may work in your favor.

Dee in Arlington, Virginia

73 months ago

There are lots of male dental assistants. The military trains mostly males to become dental techs/assistants as they are called in the military. I've worked with and trained male dental assistants. Male dental assistants are a minority but it is slowly changing thanks to people like you. Do what you do best let your personality shine you will get a job as a dental assistant. Good Luck.

BunBun in Appleton, Wisconsin

72 months ago

Foster in Saint Louis, Missouri said: Hey I finally got a job!! I've been applying for dental assisting on and off for a year and a half. Now I've landed an orthodontic technician position. So for those who have been applying for jobs. I know how frustrating it can be. Believe me I've been there. I've faxed, mailed, emailed offices left and right and by luck I finally will be working in the dental field. I would have never thought it would be this hard considering I see job openings in the paper and online all the time. Don't give up guys!
Congatulations! just to help us out...what kind of job experience did you have before this? Any Dental training or certificates? Or did they basically hire you and train you on the job? Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

stacy in Indianapolis, Indiana

72 months ago

what is the best way to apply for a dental assitant job with no experience

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Amy1982 in Auburn, Washington

72 months ago

congrats.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MandyJ in Greenville, Texas

72 months ago

Hi, i have been thinking about becoming a RDA but i really dont know how to go about it. i have done my research and i was thinking about going to a 6wk course but then i just heard that you could do a 1day thing. like go to class all day and at the end take your RDA exam. but its not hands on. ive heard some dentists would rather train you but i just dont want to waste my money on a 1day course if someone wants me to have hand on exper. which do think would be better?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.