Salary for DA and RDA

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 236)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

lizzle in Sacramento, California

80 months ago

Hi there!
I'm just curious to see what you all get paid as DA's and RDA's? I am just about to graduate my DA program and am a little unsure about what to ask for. Our teacher told us to do research for our area and field and not to under sell ourselves. Im trying to see what would be a reasonable wage to ask for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (182) / No (32) Reply - Report abuse

kellie in San Diego, California

78 months ago

I had worked for a Doctor for 12 years i had done many expanded function and was paid $18 without being an RDA,tho this Dr has now retired im having a hard time finding a solid job,Drs want you to do soooo much for them, offten working you thro lunch with out a brake but yet act as if $18 is too much to pay,the cost of living has gone up so should the wages for dental assistants, we are to act as professionals we should be paid as professionals too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (96) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

kellie in San Diego, California

78 months ago

o0 really? wow! what are you doing as an RDA?That seems right! i would be very happy at $ 3o an hr! lucky you,there a high cost of living there?????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Teresa

75 months ago

Please tell me you have another job or you are collectibg unemployment

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Anna in Anaheim, California

75 months ago

Teresa said: Please tell me you have another job or you are collectibg unemployment

I have not found another job yet, doctors do not seem to want
to pay over $20. As far as unemployment goes, the doctor has
made false statements concerning my termination and I find my-
self fighting to get unemployment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Teresa

75 months ago

Keep at it . It is your money. Stay with $20.Until you find someone who knows how much work CDA,RDA's really do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Anna in Buena Park, California

75 months ago

Teresa said: Keep at it . It is your money. Stay with $20.Until you find someone who knows how much work CDA,RDA's really do.

The problem is that too many RDAs are willing to except below
$20 per hour, even below $15 per hour, that it makes it harder
for the rest. While doctors pocket hundreds and sometimes even
thousands per day, they want to pay their most loyal employees
pennies on the dollar. I have worked too hard and paid enough
to get and maintain my RDA certification to work for anything
below $20.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Teresa

75 months ago

Yes I agree 100%. But we must find jobs that are willing to pay and then argue. Too many girls out there are willing to compromise. That hurts. Dentists want the experience and license without the pay. So they are willing to compromise their practice with non- experienced or certified assistants at the cost of a new Summer home or larger portfolio.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Kendra in Saint Louis, Missouri

75 months ago

Jennifer in Fullerton, California said: I live in Orange County. I started as an RDA in a general office making $14 an hour. I topped out in oral surgery making $18 an hour. To tell you the truth, I make much more money and faster as a server. That's why I'm no longer an RDA.

What type of restaurant do you work at as a server (not a waitress)??? Just curious.
Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Becky in Berkeley, California

75 months ago

I am concerned as I have an extensive accounting and customer service background and am currently a student for an RDA. I was under the impression with hard work and committment that I would at least be starting at $18.00 and hour. I think I might have made a mistake.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No Reply - Report abuse

Becky in Berkeley, California

75 months ago

Teresa said: Unlessyou findthe right Dentist or practice, stay with accounting.You will make more money.You must really Love Dental assisting to stay for the low salary for as much as we dofor the dentists we work for.

I thought that I could combine my previous experience in accounting and customer service and become a EFDA. Are there any out there that make over $20.00 and hour. I have heard of RDA in the Berkeley, CA are making $24.00 and hour. I am not new to the job market and am willing to work all over in the office.

I really think it is a matter of other RDA's not taking jobs for less and setting some standards for equal pay for equal work!

TKS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Teresa

75 months ago

Yes standards have to be set. Finding first the right employer to believe and realize that we are worth more and to start paying more but, that in itself is a real challenge. I have my resume'; online and a dentist nearby said he was only offering $17 to $19.I stated that at my last job I left making $22. He claimed it was too much! When I thanked him anyway for his time I signed my name and put CDA,RDA after it. I do not want to belittle any assistants but with Dentists willing to hire girls with only "maybe" an X-Ray license and to allow them to do all the work we were "trained" to do Then the fight will be long. If Baseball players are paid an obscene amount of money to run after a ball on a field then it is about time RDA's are paid at "least" $ 5.00 or more and hour for what we do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

yoly in Pomona, California

75 months ago

kellie in San Diego, California said: I had worked for a Doctor for 12 years i had done many expanded function and was paid $18 without being an RDA,tho this Dr has now retired im having a hard time finding a solid job,Drs want you to do soooo much for them, offten working you thro lunch with out a brake but yet act as if $18 is too much to pay,the cost of living has gone up so should the wages for dental assistants, we are to act as professionals we should be paid as professionals too.

Hi kellie I agree with you in certain dental offices doctors demand more from the dental assistants. I like what you said "we are to act as professionals we should be paid as professionals too". yet some doctors don't care how much experience one has and want to pay less.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RDA to Orthodontist in Lincoln, Nebraska

75 months ago

I started off as an RDA approximately 10 years ago and worked as such for 2 1/2 years and realized that I loved dentistry, but not the wages I was earning as an assistant. I understood that the competition for RDA jobs was tough since there were about 7 or more schools/institutes training RDAs within driving distance from where I lived. If you look at it from the Dr.'s perspective, he/she interviews tens of qualified applicants for each RDA job opening. More applicants gives leverage to the Dr. since the RDAs have to find employment and those who decide they should get paid more than what is being offered are the ones that end up unemployed. It is simple market economics. As a previous RDA, I know that anyone can be an RDA, the requirements to be accepted into an RDA training program are very minimal. And since anyone can do it, the wages aren't as high as other jobs that require more training/education with less numbers of qualified people to choose from. What you are worth is what a Dr. is willing to pay you. He/she knows if you don't agree with what you are being paid and decide to quit, (s)he'll simply hire another equally qualified, intellectually capable person with a great personality to replace you at the wage he/she believes is fair. This is a hard fact of the business world and capitalistic society that America is. Having said all of the above, I decided to become the doctor. I went to dental school and continued from there to complete an orthodontic residency. Now I am indispensable as the orthodontist. The business cannot operate without me, but assistants can come and go without significantly affecting the practice. I don't want my assistants to leave, so I give them benefits and wages I believe are fair and treat them well too so they have incentives to remain with the practice. Dentists are Santa and the assistants are elves, there would be no Christmas without Santa, but I'm sure Christmas wouldn't be effected too much if he replaced a few elves.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Oh and if you consider yourself a reindeer, that distinction is reserved for the office manager and possibly the treatment coordinator and very few, if any, others.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Teresa

75 months ago

I agree with you. I am in the process of trying to further my career as an EFDA.CDA,RDA. I do not want to go into hygiene or be Dentist.But I would love more challenging work.I am looking into surgical dentistry. I live in Northern New Jersey.There are so many Assistants that are not licensed, or barely have Radiology license. Dr's know that do nothave to pay much. Girls are will to accept. For me it is hard. Dentists do not want to pay me for my experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

kerry in Denver, Colorado

75 months ago

Ive been doing this for 30 years. I live in a town in Northern Co. and make 24.00. They don't have RDA here. I work 4 days a week and I love my job. The doctors I work for realize thats my job is NOT just to chairside. I am the detail person that remembers personal things about all our patient and make them feel comfortable and happy when they're in the chair. Another words I am 75% why patients return. Think about it, it's about the experience. How does a patient really know if the dentist is doing good work and is honest about TX. Dentist are not in competition, with set fees or fancy offices they are in competition with the lastest craze ie: cars, homes, vacations, clothes not each other. I think dental asst. sell themselve short and I think both the dentist and asst. know that. I know for a fact that if we all had 4 yr. degrees we wouldn't take 15.00 an hour especially in CA. Dr.s know that on 15.00 in CA you could not support a family and you couldn't even have your own apt. Shame on them and shame on us for not being proud of ourselves and say no thank you I want more. Until then we are just their mothers and cleaners oh wait cleaners make more then asst. Infact my friends housekeeper makes 20.00 hr an illegal! We only charge 800.00 for crown and with 1 Dr. 2 asst at 20.00+ 2 front people 1@26.00 the other 16.00 and a hygienist @ 40.00+ he lives in a fancy home takes trips all the time has a home Tucson golfs all time he even took us to Belize on a dental mission and paid for everything working only 4 days a week. We also have summer hrs. 7 to 3 M-W and 7 -1 th. so we can spend time with our kids. Sooo if our office can do all that on 1 dentist income remember there is only so many hrs in a day and only so many hands for production and collections. Just something to think about.
s

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Nobody said that many dentists don't do well. Try quitting your job and asking for $24/hr someplace else and let me know what happens. I don't know you, but the dentist obviously sees something in his staff that he believes is worth what he is paying you. Don't take for granted that he gives you great benefits and takes you places ON HIS OWN DIME! This is a perk he gives to his office, he doesn't have to do it. The money he pays you and the trips he takes you on come directly out of his own paycheck. Do you all realize this? The office I work in takes the staff places including Hawaii every once in awhile, they get a Christmas bonus, great Christmas gifts (on top of the bonus), medical insurance, retirement plan, parties, etc.. The problem with paying loyal employees higher wages and giving great benefits when the office is doing well is that too many of them start to feel a sense of entitlement. If I were you, I'd do whatever it takes to keep that job because I'd be surprised if you could go job hunting and get the same wages and benefits some place else. The dentist gets paid very well because he/she is a small business owner with 8-12 years of education in a competitive field under his belt. I encourage everyone to find their own niche, something they love and can enjoy doing until retirement. If you aren't making what you want, it's time to switch jobs and possibly go to college (or back to college). Become a hygienist, office manager, dentist, or something else that makes more than an assistant. You can't enter a specific job position and then demand the salary you desire, your salary is determined by your job position. Unleash your potential.

BTW I am considering opening up an orthodontic office in a beach city in Southern California in a few years. I will post on here when it comes to fruition. I also might be adding some assistants to my office in LA county even sooner as I plan to expand the practice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Continued from last post...... I am a straight shooter and I don't like to dance around issues. I love to have fun and I love to see my assistants have fun and enjoy what they are doing. I don't consider orthodontics a job, it's too much fun to be considered such. I didn't come from rich parents, in fact my family was considered poor and frequently received assistance from our church. I have 5 siblings and know what it means to live in the shoes of the assistants, especially since I was one myself.

I have to agree with another person who posted on here earlier, California is way too expensive. Dentists don't get paid more to make up for this difference, so it effects everyone, including the assistants. Housing prices are ridiculous and only truly affordable for approximately 5% of the population. I am a recent grad and believe it or not I am not a home owner yet because I can't afford it(I don't believe in overextending myself) and I make a good living if you just look at the salary . Problem is I have hundreds of thousands of dollars of student loan debt and the cost of living in California is extraordinarily high. I only moved back to California because of family. How ridiculous is it that an orthodontist can't afford a house? The assistants drive better cars than I do too! When all of the loans are paid off, I will have that much more to spend, but I earned it right? 12 years of college level education and accepted into the most competitive field in dentistry, hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt and not able to finally make enough to buy a house until I'm in my mid to late 30's as an orthodontist. What I could do is pay my assistants next to nothing and have enough to buy a house now, but that wouldn't be right. I accept the position I put myself in and will enjoy the rewards when they come.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

beee in Citrus Heights, California

75 months ago

Monica in San Diego, California said: I'm about to take my coronal polish course and try to get my RDA in November, but about to spend at least $400 doing it all.

I'm applying to hygiene school in January 2009 though and I'm at $13 an hour right now and not very experienced and from what it sounds like, although I love my boss, don't know if I'll be seeing much of a raise. To be honest I'll just have the title.

Worth it? or shall I wait to hear back from Hygiene school?

i suggest you push-thru with the dental hygiene program. Finance your schooling, dont waste your time waiting for school lottery. Dental hygienists get the same pay as gen.dentists do with a limited scope of job, that's just scaling and prophylaxis. My niece just got her license as dental hygienist and shes making $50/hr at the minimum, being treated like a dentist, she doesnt have to work as hard (as a maid) as some of us RDA's do.Working beyond the scope of our job yet and paid low. Very rare that you'll find a fair dentist employer, most of them are just selfish, liar and insensitive. so, i say, go be a dental hygienist.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No Reply - Report abuse

beee in Citrus Heights, California

75 months ago

Becky in Berkeley, California said: I thought that I could combine my previous experience in accounting and customer service and become a EFDA. Are there any out there that make over $20.00 and hour. I have heard of RDA in the Berkeley, CA are making $24.00 and hour. I am not new to the job market and am willing to work all over in the office.

I really think it is a matter of other RDA's not taking jobs for less and setting some standards for equal pay for equal work!

TKS

the reality is.. that dentist doesnt want to pay fairly. They abuse their authority as an employer, and since we can't afford to lose our jobs, our lips are sealed. you'll see..
having an experience in accting and cust.serv., i think you can make it in the dental front office. But unless you work as a DA/RDA in the back ofc, your last words are overstatement. because at the back, you'll see everything, how RDA's put/make big money for the dental clinic. Hardwork baby but low pay...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

betty in Rockville, Maryland

75 months ago

Teresa said: Unlessyou findthe right Dentist or practice, stay with accounting.You will make more money.You must really Love Dental assisting to stay for the low salary for as much as we dofor the dentists we work for.

I want some advice about which one is better cours Dental assistant or medical Assisting.Pleace let me know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

To beee in Citrus Heights: You say that dentists don't want to pay fairly, what do you think you are worth? You should find an employer that treats you well, it's not worth it to work for someone who doesn't treat you well, no matter what you are getting paid. As for your statement about hygienists making the same as general dentists, were you joking? That's true if you're comparing a general dentist that works for the government in a prison or possibly on an Indian reservation to an RDH that works in an upscale office in an upscale city. But if you compare an RDH and a general dentist that work in the same part of the same city, you'll find that the general dentist makes significantly more, although the general dentist obviously has more school loans to pay off as well. Do you know why the general dentist makes more than the RDH? One of the reasons is that the general dentist is paying the RDH's salary!

I know dentists who think that it's the assistants who are selfish. They think their dentists should pay them $10 more an hour each, but they don't understand what that means. In an office that has 7 staff members, if all of them were paid $10/hour more than are currently being paid and are all full time, working 4 days a week, the dentist would have to pay $112,000 per year more than what he is paying the staff already. If you increase that to 5 days a week, it is an additional $140,000 per year. Where do you think they are going to come up with this extra money to pay all of the assistants? I bet that if you come up with a realistic way to make the office an additional $140,000 a year, the dentist you work for will be glad to give you a significant raise.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Marie in Greenville, South Carolina

75 months ago

Catherine in Temple Hills, Maryland said: You sound like a mirror image of me. I've have 25 years dental experience making $19.75 working 10hrs days with no lunch most of the time wanting a raise.I'm over work under paid with no appreciation. I have been putting more money in the dr's pocket than he in mine. I think we should be paid as professionals with all our hard work.

I think that the lack of appreciation is the main issue for me. I have been in this field for 23 years now and have worked for alot of dentists, in several states. (My husbands career moved us often) I have only worked for one dentist that actually understood the value of a good dental assistant and acknowledged the value with words and gifts of appreciation. Most of them don't want to acknowledge our importance to their practice!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Teresa

75 months ago

I wish I got $10 more an hour I was lucky to get maybe $4 to $ 5 and hour more. after taxes that winds up to be $2.50 an hour more. that's all. with the economy are you kidding?? Sorry Dr. But, Please do the math. Yes some assistants are not licenced or care about their job I do. I know some who do . We are not paid what we are worth.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

debbie in Norwalk, California

75 months ago

I have been a dental assistant for 30 years and with the last Dr. for 26 years. Making $24.00 an hour and doing everything for his office. I took off for surgery for four months and came back and another girl kind of took over my position, Dr's. favorate (they say).I really thought this job was my life and the people there were my family. I got into it with this girl because she pushed me but that was ok, doctor didn't do anything about that, but when I called her a b.... for another incident she threatened him to get rid of me or else. So here Iam 26 years with him thought he was my family. Boy I should of pressed charges for the push but no Im not that kind of person.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Monica in Los Angeles, California

75 months ago

If you have the time, honestly, (two to three years if you're quick) I would just be an RDH. I'm about to take my last class and apply. That's where the money is (and a better schedule, and a higher demand, and you essentially run your own show) I'm over assisting. I don't like surprises and rarely are there opportunities to move up. I would think the same goes for medical assisting. Realistically, we as assistants all put time in, and do way more than we should (as we often are the "faces" of the practice) However, the truth hurts, because there are so many of us now, we are seen as "replaceable," AND after becoming an RDA, you can only move so far up. This happens even in offices and with Drs that you may love to work for. If it helps though, I'd much rather be around saliva all day then anything else! Go with whatever interests you more. Good luck :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Monica in Los Angeles, California

75 months ago

betty in Rockville, Maryland said: I want some advice about which one is better cours Dental assistant or medical Assisting.Pleace let me know.

Hi Betty, my reply didn't show up with your quote but it's there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

debbie in Norwalk, California

75 months ago

I would guess medical assisting because the pay is much greater and there is more jobs out there for medical assisting (registered nurses)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

lizzy in lauderhill, fl in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

75 months ago

I havent't seen any comments about anyone in florida, I am currently a new dental assistant student what should I look forward to as far as salary when I graduate

RDA in Hagatna, Guam

75 months ago

RDA to Orthodontist in Lincoln, Nebraska said: I started off as an RDA approximately 10 years ago and worked as such for 2 1/2 years and realized that I loved dentistry, but not the wages I was earning as an assistant. I understood that the competition for RDA jobs was tough since there were about 7 or more schools/institutes training RDAs within driving distance from where I lived. If you look at it from the Dr.'s perspective, he/she interviews tens of qualified applicants for each RDA job opening. More applicants gives leverage to the Dr. since the RDAs have to find employment and those who decide they should get paid more than what is being offered are the ones that end up unemployed. It is simple market economics. As a previous RDA, I know that anyone can be an RDA, the requirements to be accepted into an RDA training program are very minimal. And since anyone can do it, the wages aren't as high as other jobs that require more training/education with less numbers of qualified people to choose from. What you are worth is what a Dr. is willing to pay you. He/she knows if you don't agree with what you are being paid and decide to quit, (s)he'll simply hire another equally qualified, intellectually capable person with a great personality to replace you at the wage he/she believes is fair. This is a hard fact of the business world and capitalistic society that America is. Having said all of the above, I decided to become the doctor. I went to dental school and continued from there to complete an orthodontic residency. Now I am indispensable as the orthodontist. The business cannot operate without me, but assistants can come and go without significantly affecting the practice. I don't want my assistants to leave, so I give them benefits and wages I believe are fair and treat them well too so they have incentives to remain with the practice. Dentists are Santa and the assistants are elves, there would be no Christmas without Santa, but I'm sure Christmas wouldn'

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

happy in San Diego, California

74 months ago

Sounds like many of you are in the wrong profession. There is a range of pay. This range is based on supply and demand. This is like gasoline. When we consume so much oil and the supply remains the same, prices go up. So, if some of you leave your professions for something else, the supply will go down, but the demand will stay the same. This should drive your wages up. So, yes we all deserve much more money. Question is who gets to keep it. That is simple, the one making the decisions. So, instead of complaining, go get an education and become the boss, else accept it for what it is. My two cents. And yes, that is about how much I have in my account.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Teresa

74 months ago

I agree 100%. I have all three licenses and I have about a 1/2 per cent in mine.

san diego

72 months ago

I want to get into ortho assistant, im in a rda program now. Its sad to hear only 24 dollars or so after 20 years. After 20 years i'd think ya'll be making 40s by now. Does ortho make more or should i go with perio,endo,prosth? Not into hygienist...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lora in San Diego, California

72 months ago

san diego said: I want to get into ortho assistant, im in a rda program now. Its sad to hear only 24 dollars or so after 20 years. After 20 years i'd think ya'll be making 40s by now. Does ortho make more or should i go with perio,endo,prosth? Not into hygienist...

Six months ago I had an interview in an ortho dental office in Del Mar. Dentist offered the salary from 15 to 20 per hour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Monica in El Centro, California

72 months ago

Lora in San Diego, California said: Six months ago I had an interview in an ortho dental office in Del Mar. Dentist offered the salary from 15 to 20 per hour.

Hate to burst your bubble but to see forty you need to be an RDH. No matter what kind of assistant or practice you are in you may not even push 25. It's tougher than you think.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Teresa

72 months ago

Seeing $40.00 dental assistant.It will never happen. Never. Maybe $ 25.00 $27.00 at the most..Not $ 40.00.

Lora in San Diego, California

72 months ago

Teresa said: Seeing $40.00 dental assistant.It will never happen. Never. Maybe $ 25.00 $27.00 at the most..Not $ 40.00.

By the way, I heard about >35$ per hour. Registered Dental Assistants in Oral Surgery in North California.

The question is how to get into Oral Surgery?

Teresa

72 months ago

haha my eldest son just moved out there.But there is a course to do for specific Oral surgery. I may consider it.. But I am not sure yet.

di in Wyckoff, New Jersey

72 months ago

RDA to Orthodontist in Lincoln, Nebraska said: I started off as an RDA approximately 10 years ago and worked as such for 2 1/2 years and realized that I loved dentistry, but not the wages I was earning as an assistant. I understood that the competition for RDA jobs was tough since there were about 7 or more schools/institutes training RDAs within driving distance from where I lived. If you look at it from the Dr.'s perspective, he/she interviews tens of qualified applicants for each RDA job opening. More applicants gives leverage to the Dr. since the RDAs have to find employment and those who decide they should get paid more than what is being offered are the ones that end up unemployed. It is simple market economics. As a previous RDA, I know that anyone can be an RDA, the requirements to be accepted into an RDA training program are very minimal. And since anyone can do it, the wages aren't as high as other jobs that require more training/education with less numbers of qualified people to choose from. What you are worth is what a Dr. is willing to pay you. He/she knows if you don't agree with what you are being paid and decide to quit, (s)he'll simply hire another equally qualified, intellectually capable person with a great personality to replace you at the wage he/she believes is fair. This is a hard fact of the business world and capitalistic society that America is. Having said all of the above, I decided to become the doctor. I went to dental school and continued from there to complete an orthodontic residency. Now I am indispensable as the orthodontist. The business cannot operate without me, but assistants can come and go without significantly affecting the practice. I don't want my assistants to leave, so I give them benefits and wages I believe are fair and treat them well too so they have incentives to remain with the practice. Dentists are Santa and the assistants are elves, there would be no Christmas without Santa, but I'm sure Christmas wouldn'

72 months ago

Just remember "Doc" there are also many other "Santas" out there..Orthodontia is also the "least" stessful of all fields to be in....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Teresa said: I wish I got $10 more an hour I was lucky to get maybe $4 to $ 5 and hour more. after taxes that winds up to be $2.50 an hour more. that's all. with the economy are you kidding?? Sorry Dr. But, Please do the math. Yes some assistants are not licenced or care about their job I do. I know some who do . We are not paid what we are worth.

Hi, I completely understand the "not getting paid what your worth".
Funny thing is the doctors do want you to have "credentials, licenses etc...to make their staff "professional" to others GP's and patients but are unwilling to pay....and when you ask for a raise..forget it!!! Then they look to hire anybody with nothing to work! The people who came in to help from other offices when we were always understaffed, I feel were more appreciated than me who showed up everyday for 16 years! Go figure!! I like $$$$ too! but I'm not so "PIG HEADED" not to appreciate the people who have been with me the longest and can be depended on! I left after working for "the new partner" when my old boss who was great retired!
Well I only lasted 1 1/2 years with that clown! What a jerk, no raises, lowered our health insurance benefits, took our bonus plan away too! my response; bye, bye, idiot find another mule!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

betty in Rockville, Maryland said: I want some advice about which one is better cours Dental assistant or medical Assisting.Pleace let me know.

Hi,
i was inquiring about the same field.i am a certified Oral Surgery Assistant and was looking into the medical assisting field...i went on the forums for that as well...guess what...they are not to happy on that side of the fence either it seems..everyone there feels if you are going to do that why not become an LPN or RN...not what i want so now i am inquiring about occupational therapy assisting...seems that it is emotionally draining...but I'm not on my feel all day at 43 years of age after 16 plus years i'm kinda tired of that...if you hear of anything let me know.
thanks
di

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Lora in San Diego, California said: By the way, I heard about >35$ per hour. Registered Dental Assistants in Oral Surgery in North California.

The question is how to get into Oral Surgery?

the best way to get into oral surgery is to offer your services to the Oral Surgeons your General Dentist may use to refer patients too, if you work for a dds. or just look in the phone book...some oral surgeons will hire people if they are willing to learn and ease you into the surgical setting by starting off in the area referred to as "chinning" (holding the patients head in the appropriate position while the assistant and doctor work, typically these patients are under light sedation/ sometimes general anesthesia..or just help cleaning up after a procedure and allow you to be in the room to evaluate how they work...really depends on the doctor and how he practices...they are all different.
I worked for a great guy for 16 plus years, then he retired and sold the practice to a "stunod" to put nicely..and i left after 1 1/2 years...the pay though does depend on experience and this "stunod" based a lot on how responsive you were to him..I am not an A** kisser...so....i left sort of speak..hated too leave but I have to say I am "happier" for the move. You do become "institutionalized" after a while...people are still there and they should have left a looong time agooo! I cringe when i see older people at the desk they go one of two ways..really nice to nasty...I did not want to become nasty....i feel i just need to work part time and in other offices, oral surgery can be diversified depending on how the doctor is, if he/she is up on new advances then you will probably get a little general dentistry, periodontics, endodontics, etc in addition to the oral surgery...Oral Surgery is working down in the jaw so if you can not take the site of blood...it is not for you...maybe gp work is best...more esthetic than anything else...too continue....

72 months ago

Anna in Anaheim, California said: I have not found another job yet, doctors do not seem to want
to pay over $20. As far as unemployment goes, the doctor has
made false statements concerning my termination and I find my-
self fighting to get unemployment.

hi,
i was terminated as well for asking for a raise for the third an final time in a year and a half after working for a "new" doctor that took over the old doctors office..who was great to work for..I don't know what the unemployment rules are out in CA, but in NJ they can fire you for any reason..other places need to give you 3 written notices and they need to be signed by you as well.my previous employer tried to block my unemployment as well. ARGUE FOR IT by all means that is what i did,i even hired an Unemployment Attorney, now i have the Department of Labor going after him for back pay because in NJ you cannot have people on Salary unless they are a professional..i know we refer to ourselves as such but technically we are not and we should be on time clocks, which our office did not possess when i was there...so after so many years i have some overtime due me through my attorney is my understanding...they also investigate the doctor for 2 years and he is fined for not abiding by the Department of Laobr laws...That is why you do not fire an long time employee they know too much about the workings of the office...I also have info on him to give to the Department of Dentistry as well...He was/is still i'm sure a "stupid" man....but do pursue your unemployment benefits and do be on time with responses they are combative about that...I got mine after almost 2 months and still umemployed and on extension...since sept 07...you pay into that unemployment as well...if you have worked a lot of years, you should not give it up...Do Not be afraid to "challenge" the doctor...none of them want to pay...I had the worst person ever in my working years..i never had to complain about previous employers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

yoly in Pomona, California said: Hi kellie I agree with you in certain dental offices doctors demand more from the dental assistants. I like what you said "we are to act as professionals we should be paid as professionals too". yet some doctors don't care how much experience one has and want to pay less.

be careful on the "professional"issue if you are ever let go in a job..they will try to say you are a professional so you can not collect any back pay if overtime is do you etc...speaking from experience...i am now in the Department of Labor for overtime from my previous employer because his attorney is trying to use the "I am considered a "professional" as a reason not to pay overtime...We are not "professionals" technically only the "Doctors" are considered professionals in this field,,anyone who works on their own, makes their own hours, etc is considered a professional...maybe a hygienist would be considered a "professional"
just a headsup for anyone out there dealing with that issue

DentNut in Sayreville, New Jersey

72 months ago

Question for anyone who has advice.
I will be an RDA in March 2009 and I am currently working for a 30ish year old general dentist. He hired me right out of a dental assisting program that was only 13 weeks long (1 class a week) and I have been their ever since working part time. He tends to be VERY frugal when it comes to spending which is understandable due to him being a pretty new dentist. I am concerned about the fact that the full time assistant is doing things that she is not suppose to by law. ex: Alginate impressions, temp crowns etc. How the heck am I suppose to ask for a and get a good raise if she is doing these things unlicensed?? I don't want to be a jerk about it but why should I suffer for what she is willing to do?? Any suggestions??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Teresa

72 months ago

My advise is to have a chat.PRIVATE with him. Make him aware of what you will be licensed to do. And that the fact the other girl is doing procedures you have worked hard and earned license for with out one does not seem right. Good luck in you endeavors.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Ultimately, the "Doctor" is responsible and if he is willing to let her do these various jobs then he is not going to tell her to stop..As far as asking for a raise..ask him if he has a time frame in which he gives raises after employment..if he doesn't sit him or the office manager down and discuss it..I wouldn't put out the other assistant...if you are ever going "crazy" with patients you will appreciate her doing the various jobs...you may feel now she is stepping on toes..but you do have to work as a team..how long has she been there is another factor to consider...You can bring it to his attention that she is doing these things that only a licensed dental assistant should be doing...but be careful not to sound like you want her job...speak to her as well as far as how she feels about doing these tasks..maybe she would rather someone else do it.You do not want to get rid of someone because of them doing work..not in todays world...
let me know what happens,
di

DentNut in Sayreville, New Jersey

72 months ago

di in Wyckoff, New Jersey said: Ultimately, the "Doctor" is responsible and if he is willing to let her do these various jobs then he is not going to tell her to stop..As far as asking for a raise..ask him if he has a time frame in which he gives raises after employment..if he doesn't sit him or the office manager down and discuss it..I wouldn't put out the other assistant...if you are ever going "crazy" with patients you will appreciate her doing the various jobs...you may feel now she is stepping on toes..but you do have to work as a team..how long has she been there is another factor to consider...You can bring it to his attention that she is doing these things that only a licensed dental assistant should be doing...but be careful not to sound like you want her job...speak to her as well as far as how she feels about doing these tasks..maybe she would rather someone else do it.You do not want to get rid of someone because of them doing work..not in todays world...
let me know what happens,
di

Thank you di for your advice. I will wait and see what happens.
I have until about March of 2009 before I will be and RDA.
Take care

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.