Regency Dental Hygiene Academy OR Canadian Academy of Dental Hygiene

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

Mitchieline in Mississauga, Ontario

56 months ago

Hello.

Just got accepted from both RDHA and CADH. I was just wondering which school is better? I've listed some pro's and con's in both school though...

PROs
RHDA - They have a great facility almost 1:1 student dental chair ratio.
- They do have a very helpful Admissions director. she clearly answered all my questions/doubt
about the the field. (job availability).
- Students doesn;t really have to look for their own patients ..( Is this true?)
CONS
- Too far from my place (just a personal con)
- Upon checking their passing rate in board exam ( its not as impressive as the result of the CADH
students.)
- No monthly o% interest free payment plan available. ( the tuition fee is quite expensive)

PROs
CADH - definitely closer to my place.
- monthly tuition fee payment may be arranged.
- They just transferred to a new location which is amazing..( I'm not quite sure what's their student-dental chair ratio is though)
- Board exam passing rate is quite excellent compared to other private colleges
CONs
- The admissions officer didn't even try to really discuss / orient me about their school, so I wasn;t able to get an idea what is their school is like.

What do you think?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

exp in Epping, New Hampshire

56 months ago

Hi, Look at the job situation in the state you would like to be licensed in NOW! It's rough out there, so be ready with EVERYTHING POSSIBLE....I would recommend another field, possibly at that school, so you have an alternate field of study...many are going through tough times...= unemployment and wages going down (DON'T listen to the schools....!). GL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

1RDH in Airdrie, Alberta

56 months ago

Regency has an unacceptable pass rate IMO...
The biggest question you need to be asking is whether or not the job market is going to support you when you graduate. Is this really the profession you want? Are you willing to carry a large tuition debt and risk not getting a job when you're done school? It seems as though you've done your research on the schools but have you researched the job market?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mitchieline in Mississauga, Ontario

56 months ago

I agree that's why I'm a bit doubtful with Regency, but

With regards to the job market, I've read lot of negative comments related to the job availability on this field. Those comments were based from personal experiences of the recent/currently practicing dental hygienist within the country (I can say that it is definitely valid). However, upon making my research in terms of total ontario population vs. the availability of Dental Hygienist with the area there is indeed a demand, or shall I say, a NEED for more dental hygienist. In my personal opinion, think that job availability is a bit scarce since there a limited dental practitioners/offices where graduates can apply in to... AND THAT IS A BIG PROBLEM...

I have been working in a different field for quite some time now and I not really happy with what I do... Potential earning for this field isn't the reason why I wanted to take up this course ( Honestly, I've never really considered it). I've always wanted to be in the Dental field since I was in my secondary school, but due to "convenience" I took up a different degree. right noww, dental hygiene program is my best bet to be in the dental field (instead of taking up dentistry, I may be tooo old for that ...)

This is indeed a long reply.. I got carried away.. haha ( just imagine how passionate I am in this career)

Thanks! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Plakattaka in Aurora, Ontario

56 months ago

Mitchieline in Mississauga, Ontario said: However, upon making my research in terms of total ontario population vs. the availability of Dental Hygienist with the area there is indeed a demand, or shall I say, a NEED for more dental hygienist. In my personal opinion, think that job availability is a bit scarce since there a limited dental practitioners/offices where graduates can apply in to... AND THAT IS A BIG PROBLEM...

With regards to your comments about total population and the need for Hygienists. Are you aware that unless you have practiced with a dentist under an "order" you are not eligible to apply for "self-initiation" status with the CDHO to allow you to work on your own and service these underserviced populations. The problem you will run into is finding full time employment for those 2 years. The ODHA has a careers section and only 3 jobs have been posted in the last couple of months and they weren't all full time or clinical positions. There is a real shortage of jobs, even experienced hygienists are having a hard time finding work.

skrrrrrr in Victoria, British Columbia

56 months ago

Trying to start a career in DH in Ontario is a tough proposition. Possibly the worst market in North America for the hygiene job market right not! The ones with any sense immediately leave the province to go elsewhere in Canada to find work.

I have serious doubts about the quality of eduction at Regency. Their Board exam failure rate has been dismal in the past, though improving. I hired a Regency grad recently, and it is costing me a LOT OF my own time and money getting her trained enough to do the job competently.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

mitchieline in Mississauga, Ontario

56 months ago

Thank you very much for all you response... I think that I know what my choice will be...

skrrrrrr in Victoria, British Columbia said: Trying to start a career in DH in Ontario is a tough proposition. Possibly the worst market in North America for the hygiene job market right not! The ones with any sense immediately leave the province to go elsewhere in Canada to find work.

I have serious doubts about the quality of eduction at Regency. Their Board exam failure rate has been dismal in the past, though improving. I hired a Regency grad recently, and it is costing me a LOT OF my own time and money getting her trained enough to do the job competently.

Wow! I can't believe that.. I guess I shouldn't fall in to the size of their school huh? my first impression was that Regency was the ONE... now i'm having my second thoughts...

anonymous in New York, New York

27 months ago

I attended CADH this school is terrible and I recommend that no one should attend here. For the majority of the learning period we had teachers leave the school. Leaving the students to learn for themselves. The owners of the school only care about money and not the students. I am glad I am done but I recommend that you guys attend another accredited school other then CADH.

chantelle in Lethbridge, Alberta

14 months ago

Mitchieline in Mississauga, Ontario said: Hello.

Just got accepted from both RDHA and CADH. I was just wondering which school is better? I've listed some pro's and con's in both school though...

PROs
RHDA - They have a great facility almost 1:1 student dental chair ratio.
- They do have a very helpful Admissions director . she clearly answered all my questions/doubt
about the the field. (job availability).
- Students doesn;t really have to look for their own patients ..( Is this true?)
CONS
- Too far from my place (just a personal con)
- Upon checking their passing rate in board exam ( its not as impressive as the result of the CADH
students.)
- No monthly o% interest free payment plan available. ( the tuition fee is quite expensive)

PROs
CADH - definitely closer to my place.
- monthly tuition fee payment may be arranged.
- They just transferred to a new location which is amazing..( I'm not quite sure what's their student-dental chair ratio is though)
- Board exam passing rate is quite excellent compared to other private colleges
CONs
- The admissions officer didn't even try to really discuss / orient me about their school, so I wasn;t able to get an idea what is their school is like.

What do you think?

I am looking at both schools as the moment, can you tell me what the tuition is for both of these?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

exp in Massachusetts

14 months ago

chantelle in Lethbridge, Alberta said: I am looking at both schools as the moment, can you tell me what the tuition is for both of these?

Neither...the RDH employment situation in Canada and the USA ....bleak....don't go by the school or Govt. info....they DO NOT CARE if you find work when you've completed the rigorous programs....look and read the threads of RDH's where you live...THEY are telling the truth; lack of jobs, pay going down, easy replaced by another...go for DA, NOT RDH.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.