foreign trained dentists

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 989)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

amy in Montclair, New Jersey

82 months ago

i'd like to persue a career in dental hygiene, i have dental degree from oversease, just wonder if there are any follow international dentists out there who are working as dental hygienists now, what do u think about the change of the career, thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (285) / No (66) Reply - Report abuse

Josefina in San Diego, California

81 months ago

amy in Montclair, New Jersey said: i'd like to persue a career in dental hygiene, i have dental degree from oversease, just wonder if there are any follow international dentists out there who are working as dental hygienists now, what do u think about the change of the career, thank you.

yes you can challenge de dental hygiene board in florida after taking the dental hygiene National Board.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (56) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

Josefina in San Diego, California

81 months ago

yes su can challenge the National Hygiene board and then the Florida state board and becvome a Hygienist in the state of Florida

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

wasim daoud in Flushing, New York

80 months ago

i am a forign detest i have all my docement to aprooved big experians in usa as dental asisstant and detest in my countery also i pass national dental board part one i like to have higenest licence in florida please inform me if iam qualifed and what are your requirment thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (77) / No (35) Reply - Report abuse

Charlie in Norcross, Georgia

80 months ago

Jerry Mahoney in New York, New York said: Based on your abysmal knowledge of the English language, you are NOT qualified to be a "detest" in the U.S.

Agreed. When I was taught customer relations we were advised that one must be polite and respectful to a client and to foster confidence from the customer. I ask you, what sort of "chair-side manner" and confidence do you think "wasim daoud" would elicit from patients? Would you let him put his fingers in YOUR mouth?

That trashing of the English language that Jerry refers to is about as unpleasant as seeing the dentist picking his nose would be to my eyes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

Tracy Jacobs in Canton, Georgia

80 months ago

Oh, be nice to the poor guy. I was married to someone in the Air Force and we were stationed in Italy. There was no housing on the base and we had to live in an apartment complex. We were the only Americans in our building. I am sure I sounded like and idiot when I had to communicate with the locals. I agree that the guy is likely unqualified but that does not mean he is dumb. Poor guy is trying--a simple "you are not qualified" will do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Charlie in Tampa, Florida

80 months ago

Tracy Jacobs in Canton, Georgia said: Oh, be nice to the poor guy.

But in Italy you were just townsfolk while you were there, you were not asking the Italian citizenry to trust you with their personal health in a professional standing. I am sure they would have had a far more negative reaction to you had you been trying to circumvent their laws and worm your way into their health-care establishments.

Besides, you can't do work like that if you don't understand the language quite well. Remember the last time your mouth was full of instruments and you tried to say something to the dentist? Do you think old "wasim" here would be able to understand English spoken in such a manner? What if he wanted to say "Bite down softly" but only knew enough to say "Bite very down" because he didn't quite have the understanding of the difference between very hard or very softly?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

I guess I was unclear. I do agree that he should not practice in the USA. I only meant to say he could be told a little nicer. Just because is unqualified, does not mean he is not human. Even people who sound ignorant to us because of the language barrier, are not necessarily. I just felt bad for him because he was being made fun of (in my opinion).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

josefina in San Diego, California

80 months ago

wasim daoud in Flushing, New York said: i am a forign detest i have all my docement to aprooved big experians in usa as dental asisstant and detest in my countery also i pass national dental board part one i like to have higenest licence in florida please inform me if iam qualifed and what are your requirment thank you

yes, you are quialified, go on the ADA site and see the requirements for the National Dental Hygiene Board and apply for the exam and once you pass applyto Florida Dental hygiene board.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

josefina in San Diego, California

80 months ago

Jerry Mahoney in New York, New York said: Based on your abysmal knowledge of the English language, you are NOT qualified to be a "detest" in the U.S.

I am very sorry but you are wrong, he is quialified, to take the exam; one thing is that he does not comunicate well in english and other that the ADA that is the one that decides to grants authorizations to take the exam is going to tell him no. He can if he wants.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Keegan in Saint Paul, Minnesota

79 months ago

what about foreign dental hygienists (from NZ)? does any state allow foreign DH's?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

mary in Clifton, New Jersey

79 months ago

you are so racist Jerry Mahoney, this country is built on immigrants, imagine if all the international residents left this country, how would it be, in fact people like you make it difficult even for the hard working individuals to live here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

I agree with Mary. Jerry, unless you are part Native American, you are also an immigrant so maybe you should go back to whereever you came from!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Manuel in Winter Haven, Florida

79 months ago

wasim daoud in Flushing, New York said: i am a forign detest i have all my docement to aprooved big experians in usa as dental asisstant and detest in my countery also i pass national dental board part one i like to have higenest licence in florida please inform me if iam qualifed and what are your requirment thank you

you have to pass national dental board part 2 also to be considered for hygiene clinical exam.OR you can pass natioal dental hygiene board which is very easy and u will be eligible for clinical exam.
English is not a requirement by board as mentioned in florida Dental Laws chapter 466 as u will be working under direct supervision of a dentist .
I work for a DENTIST who dont speak english, we provide excellent service and produce over 80,000 a month! Dentistry is an art and skill. keep moving.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jr.dentist in Orlando, Florida

79 months ago

hi..everyone..iam a foreign trained dentist..i want to write dental hygiene board exam for florida.. i would like to know if there is any way we can get material to prepare for the exam..thanx in advance..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

marta stohlmann in Valencia, Venezuela

79 months ago

yes,you can call Nova University,they have all information you need

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

is it the nova southeastern university?? i need material to prepare for the exam..i would be very happy..if anyone who has already given the exam and are through it can help me with the material..i can buy it..plz help me...thanx

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Augusto Diaz Valladares in San Pedro Sula, Honduras

79 months ago

in the ADA web page are examples of the part I and II of the NDEB

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Reading about the goals and work of an Higienist in some states(US), for a dentist is really hard to change carrer; usually the foreing trained dentist do that for the economics not for the professional goal of practicing in the US. Be higienist is interesting in the US for the money you earn because in some countries(like mine)we are not become millionars or even rich

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

this no mean thath I´m not apreciate or respect the carrer, I think of my self doing this change when I see my country´s situation

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Manuel, are you from Nicaragua?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

mary in East Orange, New Jersey

79 months ago

i was a dentist augusto, actually never practiced coz i moved here right after graduation,but i see going to dental school here is worthless unless u got your own practice(dental office), OTHERWISE DENTAL HYGIENE would be a better option, it is just how i see it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

hi manuel..u r working as a hygienist. can u tell me if they provide study material at a school that teaches dental hygienist course? any of ur frnds who might have any idea? thanx for the help!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

jr.dentist in Orlando, Florida said: is it the nova southeastern university?? i need material to prepare for the exam..i would be very happy..if anyone who has already given the exam and are through it can help me with the material..i can buy it..plz help me...thanx

Yes is nova southeastern university and they give you all knowlegde you need materials,courses to take for ex,etc

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

jr.dentist in Orlando, Florida said: hi manuel..u r working as a hygienist. can u tell me if they provide study material at a school that teaches dental hygienist course? any of ur frnds who might have any idea? thanx for the help!!

Also if you writ on google"dental hygienist licence in Florida" yo'll get information

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Augusto Diaz Valladares in San Pedro Sula, Honduras said: Manuel, are you from Nicaragua?

Nop

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

jr.dentist in Orlando, Florida said: hi manuel..u r working as a hygienist. can u tell me if they provide study material at a school that teaches dental hygienist course? any of ur frnds who might have any idea? thanx for the help!!

If u r asking about Hygiene National board then check www.deckscorp.com. u can buy studymaterial from them for $ 120. Once u r eligible for clinical exam u dont need any study material for that( clinical exam).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Brian Ramsey in Jupiter, Florida

79 months ago

Manuel in Winter Haven, Florida said: If u r asking about Hygiene National board then check www.deckscorp.com. u can buy studymaterial from them for $ 120. Once u r eligible for clinical exam u dont need any study material for that( clinical exam).

My wife is a foreign trained dentist from the PHilippines, and quickly became a Dental Hygienist after moving here to Florida. I will pass along an EXREMELY helpful tip here for any foreign dentist looking to become a hygienist here....go to the website janewrdh.com Jane weiner has been helping foreign dentists become hygienists here for years. She has a three day course held around the state at different times and she will basically give you exactly the materials you will need to pass the national and state boards(otherwise you will be reading lots and lots of books). My wife did not pass the first time...after taking janes course however she easily passed it the second time. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

CUEVA in Boca Raton, Florida

79 months ago

hi I need to know what should i do to persue in florida, i arrived here 2 weeks ago and I don;t know what I must to do first, I wonder if there are states where i can get license easier than others, if someone know about it please tell me. thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

CUEVA in Boca Raton, Florida

79 months ago

CUEVA in Boca Raton, Florida said: hi I need to know what should i do to persue in florida, i arrived here 2 weeks ago and I don;t know what I must to do first, I wonder if there are states where i can get license easier than others, if someone know about it please tell me. thanks

and I am dentist from Peru

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Yuri Borges in Belo Horizonte, Brazil

79 months ago

Hello, I am brazilian but i became an American citizen when I was a child living in USA,I came back to brazil and graduated from a dental univisity in brazil. But our profession is not very good here for dentists that just graduated. Does anyone know a way to became a dentist or get a job as a dental hyginest in USA in my situation? Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Brian Ramsey in Jupiter, Florida

79 months ago

CUEVA in Boca Raton, Florida said: hi I need to know what should i do to persue in florida, i arrived here 2 weeks ago and I don;t know what I must to do first, I wonder if there are states where i can get license easier than others, if someone know about it please tell me. thanks

Florida is the only state in the U.S where foreign trained dentists do not have to go to school to become hygienist. You just need to have your transcripts from the dental school in your country evaluated....then take the national and state boards. If you pass these two then you could get your hygienist license in less then a year. Go to the florida department of health website and they will guide you through the process. Once again....i recommend for any foreign trained dentist to take Jane weiners course ....its only a few hundred dollars....and she will guide you every step of the way and will answer any questions you have.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

sharma2415 in Jackson, Mississippi

79 months ago

Hi Brian Ramsey:

Your post was helpful to me. Can your wife talk/write to me about the course, I want to the clinical extent of preparation. What we are supposed to do during the licencing exam. How all the precedure is carried out, who evaluates the clinical exam?
I would much appreciate your response.
sharma2415@gmail.com

Brian Ramsey in Jupiter, Florida said: My wife is a foreign trained dentist from the PHilippines, and quickly became a Dental Hygienist after moving here to Florida. I will pass along an EXREMELY helpful tip here for any foreign dentist looking to become a hygienist here....go to the website janewrdh.com Jane weiner has been helping foreign dentists become hygienists here for years. She has a three day course held around the state at different times and she will basically give you exactly the materials you will need to pass the national and state boards(otherwise you will be reading lots and lots of books). My wife did not pass the first time...after taking janes course however she easily passed it the second time. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jackie in Vancouver, British Columbia

79 months ago

FIRST OF ALL, LEARN HOW TO SPEAK AN WRITE CORRRECTLY ENGLIGH!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (28) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

hello sharma2415...i think u r from india..have u done ur BDS there? ...iam from india too..are u planning to prepare for dental hygiene exam here? plz let me know if u have any information regarding this..i want to write the exam in march..thanx for ur help..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

sharma2415 in Jackson, Mississippi

79 months ago

Yeah I am planning on that. I have not anything up yet except NBDE exams. Yeah lets be in touch.

79 months ago

Brian Ramsey in Jupiter, Florida said: My wife is a foreign trained dentist from the PHilippines, and quickly became a Dental Hygienist after moving here to Florida. I will pass along an EXREMELY helpful tip here for any foreign dentist looking to become a hygienist here....go to the website janewrdh.com Jane weiner has been helping foreign dentists become hygienists here for years. She has a three day course held around the state at different times and she will basically give you exactly the materials you will need to pass the national and state boards(otherwise you will be reading lots and lots of books). My wife did not pass the first time...after taking janes course however she easily passed it the second time. Good luck!

Hi Brian Ramsey...
your post was extremely helpful to me..i emailed Jane Weiner for information. I havent got a response yet. In the meanwhile..i would like to know if ur wife still has the material she used to prepare for the exam..if she does..would you consider selling it..'cos i have very little time and have a lot to prepare..i dont have material to start with. iam really really tensed. I will be really grateful if u can help me with this.
thanx again for ur advice

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

docanand in Newark, New Jersey

79 months ago

Does anyone has any idea as to how much does a hygienist get paid on an average? Has to be more than a dental assistant..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Laura in Chattanooga, Tennessee

79 months ago

I am foreign trained dentist. In US, however, I had to start everything from the beginning; I enrolled the dental hygiene school and just recently graduated. My GPA was 4.0. Now, do you believe I am still looking for job? I guess I am in a wrong place. Can somebody give me an idea where there is high demand for dental hygienist? Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

docanand in Newark, New Jersey

79 months ago

gpa's aint everythin...u gotta be able to sell urself..i guess as a foriegn trained dentist u lack that

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Laura in Chattanooga, Tennessee said: I am foreign trained dentist. In US, however, I had to start everything from the beginning; I enrolled the dental hygiene school and just recently graduated. My GPA was 4.0. Now, do you believe I am still looking for job? I guess I am in a wrong place. Can somebody give me an idea where there is high demand for dental hygienist? Thanks.

hi laura..
iam a foreign trained dentist too..iam hoping to give national boards this coming march..i do not have any material to prepare for the exam..iam sorry i cant help of any help for ur question..florida..they say has a demand for dental hygienists..i was wondering if u could help me with the material and books..i can buy them from u...plz let me know..and thanx in advance..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

dm in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

78 months ago

hello
since so many people are discussing the dental hygiene test, I'm sure some one can help me.
I am a foreign trained dentist. I have given the NBDHE. I need to know where n how do i give the clinical and law test to obtain the state dental hygiene license.
hope some one can help me :)
Thanks

78 months ago

hi..nice to know that u have cleared NBDHE..iam a foreign trained dentist too...can u plz guide me through it..? If you have any material or decks plz let me know..i would like to buy it..
plz let me know...
thank u very much :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

massy in Hooksett, New Hampshire

78 months ago

when i search for dental hygienist license in NH, as requairment i need to have 3 years of experience, but i don't i am recent graduated 2006 in Bolivia, i have less than 1 year experience as dentist, and maybe 1.5 year experience as dental assistent, so anybody can tell me if i qualify or depends on the tests, thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

lovely in Va

78 months ago

docanand in Newark, New Jersey said: Does anyone has any idea as to how much does a hygienist get paid on an average? Has to be more than a dental assistant..

I am currently working as a Dental hygienist, as far as I know my other collegeu get paid between $38 to $50/hr., as a full time dental hygienist or sometimes they per deim between averaging 320 to 400/ day... Also it depends which area you are...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jia in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania

78 months ago

Hi, Everyone:
I am a foreign trained dentist too. Now I am thinking about attending the Dental Hygiene Program in a community college in PA. It's great to know so many guys have already got or are going to get the DH license in FL without entering DH school.

However, my concern about this path is that after I get a DH license of FL, is it easy for me to transfer it to other states?
Thanks! Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

TOM in Raleigh, North Carolina

78 months ago

Hi guys, thanks for every single advice regrading the dental hygiene license. Actually I have two question.

In order to get dental hygiene license in Florida, you have two ways(correct me I am wrong):

Pass the NBDE part one and two ,or

Pass the NDHB exam.

Afterward, should we take any other exams in order to get a license ?. I heard that this option is only offered for foreign trained dentist with green card holder.

That is my two cents , please if any 1 have any idea to share it with us.

thanks a a lot !

Fugi9 in Richmond Hill, Ontario

78 months ago

Anyone planning to take DH in Ontario? Im a FTD (foreign trained dentist) as well and planning to take DH here.

Is Florida the only State where FTD can be licensed as DH?

Do ppl find it hard to find work as a DH after graduation? Cuz i know tuition for DH schools are pricey and not sure if its worth the risk...

Do other FTD know if other countries like Australia, NZ, UK allow FTD to practice after taking the exams there without going back to school?

and no im not japanese...haha

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

soni in Tampa, Florida

78 months ago

marta stohlmann in Valencia, Venezuela said: Yes is nova southeastern university and they give you all knowlegde you need materials,courses to take for ex,etc

i have nbde part 2 material which you can buy.it helps yu to study for exam and then there is also KAPLAN guidebook for part 2 which helped me a lot for my exams.let me know if you wish to buy these materials.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

soni in Tampa, Florida

78 months ago

jr.dentist in Orlando, Florida said: hello sharma2415...i think u r from india..have u done ur BDS there? ...iam from india too..are u planning to prepare for dental hygiene exam here? plz let me know if u have any information regarding this..i want to write the exam in march..thanx for ur help..

yes, yu are right there is a option of becoming hygienist just by taking
nbde part 1 and 2,and then taking clinical board exam.If you are interested i have nbde prep material called DENTAL DECKS for sale and i also have KAPLAN guide book.
let me know if yu wish to buy study material.I studied from there and cleared my exam in one shot.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.