Hygiene Degree

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 635)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Jasmine in Vancouver, British Columbia

86 months ago

I've graduated the hygiene diploma program seven years ago and I'm getting kinda bored with hygiene. I've been thinking about taking the completion program our local university offers to get a degree. But I'm not sure if it's worth it and was wondering what everyone's thoughts were?
As far as I'm aware there's no actual advantages right now in job search or wages around here, but I guess that may very well change down the road. But I'm thinking if I maybe want to go to dental school or study something else I'd probably need a degree of some sort and I'm thinking more along the lines of the future rather than immediate benefits.

If you have a degree in hygiene, do you think it was worth it? Would you do it again? Are you still working in a regular office?
And if you don't have one, have you ever thought about getting one? What made you decide against it?

I'd welcome any and all thoughts on the topic. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (135) / No (26) Reply - Report abuse

jas in Surrey, British Columbia

86 months ago

i am thinking of doing dental hygiene program. what kind of wages and job oppurtunities are out here for this profession? is it easy to find a job as a hyginist?
thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (94) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

There's quite a demand for hygienists here, but it's slowly changing. Wages are good, starting at around $40/hr.
VCC is very competitive and has a long waiting list and the private colleges are quite expensive.
Read through the forum a bit though, it's a very tough job on the body and very repetitive. I do enjoy it for the most part, but could never do it full time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

thanks a lot for ur reply. what do u mean when u say tht demand is slowly changing? i am planning to do it from ontario, instead of vancouver. you don'd need any pre university credits there and it is direct admission, although it is bit expensive though.
thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

cavitron in miami, Florida

86 months ago

JAS,

I'M GOING TO TELL YOU STRAIGHT FROM THE HORSE'S MOUTH. DO NOT BECOME A DENTAL HYGIENIST. DO YOURSELF A BIG FAVOR. ALTHOUGH, I LIKE WHAT I DO, I CAN'T FIND A JOB. IT'S DEPRESSING BUT I'M TRYING TO KEEP MY CHIN UP. I WOULD LIKE FOR YOU TO READ THIS FORUM CALLED "LOOKING FOR A JOB" TYPE IT IN THE SEARCH BOX AN READ THE BLOGS FROM PAGES 1-4 AND YOUR'LL SEE WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (48) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

cavitron in miami, Florida

86 months ago

jas in Surrey, British Columbia said: i am thinking of doing dental hygiene program. what kind of wages and job oppurtunities are out here for this profession? is it easy to find a job as a hyginist?
thanks

I'M GOING TO TELL YOU STRAIGHT FROM THE HORSE'S MOUTH. DO NOT BECOME A DENTAL HYGIENIST. DO YOURSELF A BIG FAVOR. ALTHOUGH, I LIKE WHAT I DO, I CAN'T FIND A JOB. IT'S DEPRESSING BUT I'M TRYING TO KEEP MY CHIN UP. I WOULD LIKE FOR YOU TO READ THIS FORUM CALLED "LOOKING FOR A JOB" TYPE IT IN THE SEARCH BOX AN READ THE BLOGS FROM PAGES 1-4 AND YOUR'LL SEE WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

jas in Surrey, British Columbia said: thanks a lot for ur reply. what do u mean when u say tht demand is slowly changing? i am planning to do it from ontario, instead of vancouver. you don'd need any pre university credits there and it is direct admission, although it is bit expensive though.
thanks

I mean that 5 years ago you could find a job anywhere and they'd almost hire you on the spot. My boss just put up an ad about 2 month ago for a hygienist for Friday 12-8 and Sat 8-4 only. Personally I think that's probably the worst day and time to find a hygienist. Who wants to work those hours. He offered good pay and got 10 (!) resumes within the week. 6 were from new grads coming back from Ontario. A lot of people are doing that and there's still demand for hygienists with experience, but as there will be more and more hygienists that will dwindle too.
If you really want to be a hygienist I'd go for the degree program at UBC and set yourself above the newgrads from Ontario.

Also there's no way to advance in hygiene. You do hygiene and that's what you do for the rest of your life.

Now this all may sound very negative, but I actually do enjoy my job. I like the interaction with people and it's mostly fun. But like I said I couldn't do it full time (too boring and too hard d on the body) and if I had to do it over again, I'd probably choose a different career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

hello terry
it is expensive, no doubt. i did some research here in BC, and it seems like a good job market here for DH. when it comes to schools, there are quite many in tto and it's little confusing how would you find one better then other.
jas

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Alli in Toronto, Ontario

86 months ago

i am from bc, moved to just out of Toronto, taking dental hygiene at a private college. it is a new school, not yet accredited but is sure to not be a problem. i did research in bc and weighed the options: wait up to ten years to get into a program there or come to ontario, get in right away, the program is only 18 months straight through. the tuition is high but will be worth it in the long run. i have been a dental assistant for 18 years and couldn't get ahead financially, this was the best thing for me to choose, dentistry is all i know! am happy with this program so far, accreditation should be in '08, i graduate in '09. was a no-brainer for me to come here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

terry in Etobicoke, Ontario

86 months ago

HOW IS THE COURSE GOING AND WHERE ABOUT ARE YOU TAKING IT. I HAVE PLANS TOO BUT CANNOT YET DECIDE WHERE TO TAKE FROM. ANY SUGGESTION PLEASE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Alli in Toronto, Ontario

86 months ago

hi terry,
i started the program in october at the "ontario college of oral healthcare professionals". (they have a website. my class is the third class entered. 18 students in my class. there are things in the program i believe they are ironing out, bit disorganized with instructors, but overall i think is ok. bit too soon to tell to give a real legit opinion. the tuition was around $30,000 but i paid in full and got 10% off. the school is in Ajax. for me it made sense to come to ontario as i mentioned, the bc schools take forever to get in. i am glad i am here. what else would u like to know?

86 months ago

Hi! Alli,
Thanks very much, your information was really very helful. Keep in touch and all the best.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

hi ali

how was the entrance exam like for DH?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

alli in Toronto, Ontario

85 months ago

it was ok i think, i passed! it was a hygiene "aptitude" test, u can get info at libraries if u want an idea about it. i actually had to have mine proctored at a local college because i couldn't get time off work to fly out here to do it...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Woeser in Toronto, Ontario

85 months ago

Hi Guys,
I am wondering if there is less scope for male dental hygienist in Canada since I see mostly female in this profession. I already got admitted to a dental hgiene program but now I am having second thoughts after reading some of the posts in this forum. let me know..Thanks..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

alli in Toronto, Ontario

85 months ago

i don't know about demand in the profession for males but in my school there are two men in the progam, one in each class. i haven't heard about any discrimmination anywhere???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jen in Port Saint Lucie, Florida

85 months ago

cavitron in miami, Florida said: JAS,

****I just moved back to Florida 9 MONTHS AGO to work as a Dental hygienist.. I cannot find a job either! I have a family & need the a job to help out. I am so frustrated!! I cannot believe I moved back here for nothing!!! DO NOT BECOME A DENTAL HYGIENIST! The Board is also trying to change laws to allow dental assistants to do parts of our job. So why bother go to Dental Hygiene school just get an assisting degree, save your money & sanity & wait for the board to change things!! I can't believe this would be allowed to happen! I guess our degrees are not really respected by dentists in this crappy state! Sorry, I just worked so hard for this degree & now there are absolutely NO jobs to apply for!Go to nursing school instead! I guess I'll be moving again, away from my family & friends! So I can work and support my family in another state that has jobs in this field & doesn't change the laws. It would have been nice if educators in this state informed students of the difficulties in finding a job in this career & how hard it is to get a license in another state when you move away. Florida doesn't reciprocate with any other state so you have to re-do all your exams & it gets expensive.. Thanks alot FLORI-DUH!!! I am very frustrated about this entire situation..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Hi!Woeser,
As far as the job market stays good, I think there shouldn't be any problem.
By the way which school do you plan to go?
phula good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sky in Fort Worth, Texas

85 months ago

Jen in Port Saint Lucie, Florida said: ****I just moved back to Florida 9 MONTHS AGO to work as a Dental hygienist.. I cannot find a job either! I have a family & need the a job to help out. I am so frustrated!! I cannot believe I moved back here for nothing!!! DO NOT BECOME A DENTAL HYGIENIST! The Board is also trying to change laws to allow dental assistants to do parts of our job. So why bother go to Dental Hygiene school just get an assisting degree, save your money & sanity & wait for the board to change things!! I can't believe this would be allowed to happen! I guess our degrees are not really respected by dentists in this crappy state! Sorry, I just worked so hard for this degree & now there are absolutely NO jobs to apply for!Go to nursing school instead! I guess I'll be moving again, away from my family & friends! So I can work and support my family in another state that has jobs in this field & doesn't change the laws. It would have been nice if educators in this state informed students of the difficulties in finding a job in this career & how hard it is to get a license in another state when you move away. Florida doesn't reciprocate with any other state so you have to re-do all your exams & it gets expensive.. Thanks alot FLORI-DUH!!! I am very frustrated about this entire situation..

Move to Texas, DFW area, you should have no problem getting a high paying job as a hygienist, $60,000 min. - worth retesting!

In fact, a friend was just asked by his dentist during a recent check up if he knew of a hygienist because he was so desperate for one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

hi! guys,
Is there anybody currently taking hygiene in a private college in Toronto? I just wanted some feedback.thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

nicole rdh in Toronto, Ontario

84 months ago

Hey!
I have graduated 2 years ago from a private college in ontario. I have worked one year here and one year in vancouver. Let me tell you.. the market here in ontario is really hard! In vancouver it is wonderful!! Dental hygiene is an awesome job if you can find the work! I am considering moving back to vancouver.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

hey nicole,

which college in toronto did u graduate from?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

teresa in Clarksville, Tennessee

84 months ago

I am about to go to college and was interested in becoming a dental hygienist. Can any of you guys tell me if it's easy to find a job in the Nashville or Chattonooga part of Tennessee??? I'm already 25 and don't want to waste time going to school for something I can't even find a job for. please let me know

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

kim in Jacksonville, Florida

84 months ago

Jen in Port Saint Lucie, Florida said: ****I just moved back to Florida 9 MONTHS AGO to work as a Dental hygienist.. I cannot find a job either! I have a family & need the a job to help out. I am so frustrated!! I cannot believe I moved back here for nothing!!! DO NOT BECOME A DENTAL HYGIENIST! The Board is also trying to change laws to allow dental assistants to do parts of our job. So why bother go to Dental Hygiene school just get an assisting degree, save your money & sanity & wait for the board to change things!! I can't believe this would be allowed to happen! I guess our degrees are not really respected by dentists in this crappy state! Sorry, I just worked so hard for this degree & now there are absolutely NO jobs to apply for!Go to nursing school instead! I guess I'll be moving again, away from my family & friends! So I can work and support my family in another state that has jobs in this field & doesn't change the laws. It would have been nice if educators in this state informed students of the difficulties in finding a job in this career & how hard it is to get a license in another state when you move away. Florida doesn't reciprocate with any other state so you have to re-do all your exams & it gets expensive.. Thanks alot FLORI-DUH!!! I am very frustrated about this entire situation..

hey im in the 11th grade in high school and i had plan to become a dental hygienist, so im doing a researh to learn more, but im reading what you guys have to say and im starting to wonder if i should change to a different career path, is it worth spending four years in college? is it a waste of time ? please i need some honest advice

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MK

84 months ago

Jasmine in Vancouver, British Columbia said: There's quite a demand for hygienists here, but it's slowly changing. Wages are good, starting at around $40/hr.
VCC is very competitive and has a long waiting list and the private colleges are quite expensive.
Read through the forum a bit though, it's a very tough job on the body and very repetitive. I do enjoy it for the most part, but could never do it full time.

VCC does not have a waiting list for dental hygiene. It is based on competetive selection which means they take the people with the highest scores on their pre-reqs and the aptitude test. It is hard to get in because about 180 people are competing for 20 spots.

A lot of people go to Ontario because there are more schools there and come back to BC to practice. But each province has slightly different regulations so you have to complete a module to practice in BC if your degree is from Ontario.

kim in Jacksonville, Florida

84 months ago

thank you mk, however whats vcc

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

MK

84 months ago

kim in Jacksonville, Florida said: thank you mk, however whats vcc

Vancouver Community College

Jennifer in Norfolk, Virginia

84 months ago

I hate that people are tell other people not to become a hygienist! I got out of hygiene school and had a job in no time at all. I think it all depends on where you live and how saturated the market is. Around here dentists are always looking for hygienists. I also think it is all what you make it....if you can go through 4 years of hygiene school and not realize you don't like it...then you are going to be miserable. It takes a special kind of person to be a dental hygienist. All in all I think dental hygiene is a great profession. It is worth it! The money is great!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

VPK in Toronto, Ontario

84 months ago

Hi,

Anyone from Toronto, Canada here I am considering doing the hygiene program but have heard of some bad experiences and not sure what to do.

I don't want to end up with a huge debt and no job either.

akbar babwani in Harrow, United Kingdom

84 months ago

hi guys and gals,Hi guys and gals,
i am a qialified dentist from pakistan. at the moment in UK. since after recent changes in the regulation over here in UK i want to move from here and thinking about moving to canada. as i came to know that i cant apply for the eligibility exam for dentist , so i am thinking about getting admission in dental hygiene program.
i would like to know if anybody id applying for canadian eligibility
exams or may be applying for the dental hygiene program in canada.
is this true that you need to be canadian resident in order to apply
for the eligibility exam overthere. and unless you are not resident you
cant apply for the exam and cant apply for the university advanced
standing programs.

if any body ha any info about it please call me on my number 07944919656
or email me at akbarbabwani@hotmail.com

i would really appreciate any sort of info.

thanks and take care.

akbar

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jeremy in Calgary, Alberta

84 months ago

Hi i applied into Toronto College of Dental Hygiene for the march class but they cancelled the march class and moved it to august because they didnt have accreditation for march, but however they do in august. I am just wondering like do that school have a good reputation because i dont want to wait till august and then i get a call from them telling me that they are going to cancel it again.

thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

nicole rdh in North Vancouver, British Columbia

84 months ago

Jeremy in Calgary, Alberta said: Hi i applied into Toronto College of Dental Hygiene for the march class but they cancelled the march class and moved it to august because they didnt have accreditation for march, but however they do in august. I am just wondering like do that school have a good reputation because i dont want to wait till august and then i get a call from them telling me that they are going to cancel it again.

thanks

I would apply to a school that has their accreditaion for sure instead! This sounds like a new school so noone knows if they will cancel again or what the details are for sure. Just apply for another

84 months ago

nicole rdh in North Vancouver, British Columbia said: I would apply to a school that has their accreditaion for sure instead! This sounds like a new school so noone knows if they will cancel again or what the details are for sure. Just apply for another

thanks nicole :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kara Cohen in Garden Grove, California

84 months ago

cavitron in miami, Florida said: JAS,

Is it really that hard to find a job as a hygienist in South Florida. I was thinking about going to school there. What are the schools like there and how much do they cost? What is the typical salary of a hygienist there? Why is it so difficult to find employment there? I am very curious about this profession. Thank you for any info and advice you have!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

june in Vancouver, British Columbia

84 months ago

you know one thing that bothers me in reading some comments here is that all seems to be about the money and available jobs. granted those are two very important points, but do you really know what hygiene is all about? i'm a hygienist and yes i do enjoy my salary, but i wouldn't do it over again. it's a very repetitive job, as in 7 out of 8 times it's exactly the same thing, over and over again. there is no way to advance or move up. you're a hygienist and that's what you do for as long as you practice. most jobs you can move up, have a career and you won't be doing the same thing over and over again. i know that all jobs are repetitive, but i honestly think most people don't realise how boring hygiene can be. it's also not very challenging. and the other big point is your health. if you value your back, neck and wrist hygiene is probably not what you should be doing. it's very tough on your body and trust me that you will need to work out regularly after a few years of practicing to make sure you can still practice. most people are not able to work full time after about 5 years, because of the demand on their bodies.
i'm not saying i hate my job, it's got many advantages and one of which is the money you can make with relatively few years of education, but if you're just doing it for the money you are going to regret your decision. if you at all can, go and ask your dentist/hygienist if you can shadow her/him for a day and see if you still like it. right now the job situation in bc is quite good but there's been a big influx of hygienists from other provinces because bc used to pay more. obviously the more hygienists come here the lower will the salary be. it probably always will pay quite well, but it will go down and i'm betting in a 5 or so years we'll be at the ontario level.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

mk

84 months ago

I agree that many people don't consider the downside to dental hygiene. And anyone who is applying to school for anything just for the money will end up being disappointed. Listen to this person and job shadow someone before going to school for hygiene!

However, I don't agree that your job has to be repetetive or a dead end if you are a dental hygienist. How repetetive it is depends on the office that you choose to work at. At some offices, hygienists take impressions, radiographs and do other duties besides just debridement. Yes, most offices have hygienists that just debride all day long but you still have a choice.

Hygenists have many oppourtunities to move up or move on in their field. There's community dental hygiene, there's working for dental companies as a sales rep/lecturer, there's research or you can go back to school to become a dentist or get your teaching certificate to do education. Yes, most hygienists work in dental offices but that's not the only option. I personally know hygienists who started in offices and then went back to school to teach or get their dental degree. I also know hygienists that moved on to do research or work for a dental company. These people are out there!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Alice in Vancouver, British Columbia

84 months ago

Does anyone know what's going on with Vancouver College of Dental Hygiene and accredition? They say they have accredition but I hear their graduates are not able to practice? Anyone here from this college or know what's going on with it? They do not say much when asking them directly, and I am considering going to thi school. Thanks!

jasmine in Vancouver, British Columbia

84 months ago

Hey mk, I'm interested in how/when/where the hygienists you know when into research. I always thought that may be something I'd be interested in, but I don't even know where to start looking. Any pointers?

As for the Vancouver College, as far as I know they are accredited. Although just recently, the class that graduated may have graduated before the accreditation went through. I've heard they have quite the staff turnover and also some other negative things like not having enough equipment, etc. You may be better off spending your money in Ontario. It's all hearsay though, but maybe you can talk to a student or instructor?

VPK in Toronto, Ontario

84 months ago

I am from Ontario and the private schools are no better the Vancouver College.

In all schools you will find problems regardless so the question is up to you if you want to do it.

I understand Jasmine that it is all hearsay but just saying also the grass is not green on the otherside.

84 months ago

That's interesting VPK. I always figured as Toronto has so many more schools and competition among the schools must be tougher, the standard would probably be higher. But maybe not.
That's actually pretty sad when you think about it. Hygiene used to be a really good profession, but with the shortage TPTB took some bad short cuts. It lowers the standard.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

VPK in Toronto, Ontario

84 months ago

Jasmine,

I agree it is sad what actually is happening to the profession here in Ontario there are way too many schools not enought jobs for all the new comers.

84 months ago

Exactly and a lot of them come to BC thinking the situation is much better. And it probably is, but not so much for new grads. So they offer to work for less money and get taken advantage of on the one side, but also long term it pushed the wages down.
We do make good money, but we also have zero benefits in almost all offices.

VPK in Toronto, Ontario

84 months ago

Jasmine,

The salaries here in Ontario have dropped and all it seems as if all these schools are just pumping out hygienist and the job market does not look good at all.

Eventually, BC will become oversaturated too do you think so?

84 months ago

VPK,
Yes I absolutely think so. You can already see the signs of it happening right now, I think it's just a matter of time. I have a friend in Florida and they have the same problem. The job situation doesn't look good at all, although I think they have more problems with CDAs being allowed to do more and more rather than having too many hygienists. Still the result is the same.

I honestly have to say it's not a career I'd choose again knowing what I know now. I've actually been thinking quite a bit about doing something else, maybe go into nursing or something.

Hygienist in Calgary, Alberta

84 months ago

jas in Surrey, British Columbia said: i am thinking of doing dental hygiene program. what kind of wages and job oppurtunities are out here for this profession? is it easy to find a job as a hyginist?
thanks

I'm a hygienist who works in Alberta, and the job opportunities are endless. After graduating, I was offered 9 positions in 2 weeks. The pay ranges between $43-$50/hour to start as a new grad here in Calgary.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

mk

84 months ago

The people I know in research are based out of Toronto. The type of research they do is usually realted to the day to day practice of dental hygienists. Things like ergonomics in the dental office, models used to assess/diagnose, how theory is applied to practice. Sorry, I don't have a lot of information but you could start by asking the cdha about research oppourtunities.

mk

84 months ago

The Vancouver College of Dental Hygiene is accredited but accreditation does not qualify the students for entry to practice. There is a big, long process that occurs with the cdha in qualifying a school for entry to practice. Accreditation is just the first step. The students at VCDH were given the option to write a clinical exam after passing their board exam to bypass the wait. But many of them did not want to pay to write the clinical exam (I heard it's really expensive). So they are still waiting... You can read about it at www.cdhbc.com/ just click on the link entitled "open letter"

84 months ago

The clinical exam in BC is around $3000 from what I heard.
And thanks mk, re the research. I will check with the assoc. see if they have any more information.
I'm gald to hear the job situation is so good in Calgary. Seems the city is booming in just about anything.

84 months ago

hey i just have a question, after doing dental hygiene in colleges, are we able to go to university and apply into like dentistry in the future? like would they accept the marks we attained in our dental hygiene program from college?

84 months ago

some places in calgary depending on the dentist like the expecting wages for a hygienist starting is 50/hour

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.