Dental Hygiene basic instruments

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

future_rdh in West L.A., California

47 months ago

I know about school kits, but I'm wondering about necessary instruments for a good cleaning. What instruments do current hygienists suggest?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

StaceyinDetroit in Michigan

47 months ago

cavitron anterior and posterior sickle scaler 11/12 and 13/14 and columbia scalers

lamato93 in Venice, Florida

47 months ago

When I was in school we purchased the instruments that were required for our program... it really comes down to personal preference. I almost always use a cavitron, I like the Barnhardt 5/6, 204S and 6/7 scaler

exp in Newmarket, New Hampshire

47 months ago

future_rdh in West L.A., California said: I know about school kits, but I'm wondering about necessary instruments for a good cleaning. What instruments do current hygienists suggest?

A basic: Mirror, probe, explorer. Instrus: 1/2, sickle, 11/12/13/14, and ? a posterior or universal scaler....still , if you haven't looked into your state and haven't invested alot of money ...go another career route. Please go beyond the tech/internet articles and what the school program people tell you...not accurate and not telling you that the job situation and pay is not what it was...TOO many in the field now and no one is really retiring....not the economy, oversaturation. P.S. The cavitron is a necessity in many practices...even in pedo on occassion! If you can go for DA as oppossed to RDH, you are more likely to :obtain SET hours/days/pay increases/sick and vaca time...possibly a retir. pkg. too...RDH's many get zip! and are easily replaced since the Dr.'s have paid into the states DH programs to reduce our pay ...etc...DA's get a better deal all round!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

future_rdh in West L.A., California

47 months ago

Thanks to those who answered.

Exp, I'm already an RDA. I make nothing an hour and I have to work at various offices in order to pay my bills. RDH school are graduating hygienists left and right, but so are DA schools. All I wanted to know on this forum was what instruments are needed. No need to bring my career choice down.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

exp in Newmarket, New Hampshire

47 months ago

future_rdh in West L.A., California said: Thanks to those who answered.

Exp, I'm already an RDA. I make nothing an hour and I have to work at various offices in order to pay my bills. RDH school are graduating hygienists left and right, but so are DA schools. All I wanted to know on this forum was what instruments are needed. No need to bring my career choice down.

Not trying to "bring your...", just telling you what the schools, etc. are not...in the DH field, you also in many cases have to work in 2-4 off's easily to make a decent income as a DH...and many don't have set hours. As an RDA did you receive ben's? Might they be looking to hire you when you've completed your DH program? GL Start looking into the areas/towns you think you may want to work now if possible and temp. as a DA on Sat's still if you can.

Keila in Camarillo, California

20 months ago

future_rdh in West L.A., California said: Hello all RDH's!

I am in school to become a RDH and I want to start saving up for my instruments for boards. I'd like to buy one instrument at a time, but I need to know... What are necessary instruments for a proper cleaning ?

I don't know all the of the instruments yet. All I have so far in that kit are a PDT Montana Jack and Hu-Friedy anterior sickle scaler.

Help please! Thanks!! :)

**by the way, I'd rather buy Hu-Friedy's.

:)

Hi....just want to know if you are interesting have information about the dental hygiene school and also get the kit. I have available for half price. Feel free to contact me.

20 months ago

exp in Newmarket, New Hampshire said: Hi, Contact the DH program at the school(?) you want to attend regarding DH kits. When you are accepted to a program they usually tell you what you need and the cost of the program includes your DH instruments. Ask the school and or a DH instructor if you can as to all that's needed. I hope that the situation for employment in your area is alot better...many states oversaturated and thus work / set days and hours are HIGHLY competitive...not a healthy competition for work either. Many are struggling to obtain set days /hours that they can count on and many RDH's are vying for the coveted positions....steady work for the DH now? Not easily found...any chance you have a second career choice...ie DA or medical? Think forward as to benefits and retirement pkg. NOW, because many RDH's work PT and negotiations for many are a thing of the past...please read further on here of others in your state if that is where you plan to ultimately work....to see what's happening now....alot of $ for a ?able work/employment situation. GL

Hi, just want to know if you are interesting buy the kit. I have for half price. Feel free to contact me.

20 months ago

Hi,

Just want to know if you are interesting buy the DH Kit. I have for half price. Feel free to contact me.

Thank you.

RDHCJ in Boston, Massachusetts

18 months ago

Any universal curet or scaler is the best for doing a prophy fast. I hate to tell you but you are in a real bad job market for RDHs in all US states. You should try to get a job working in the front office of a dental office or as a DA part time right now to get your foot in with a dentist. It is all about who you know to find the good RDH jobs in a tough job market.

RDHCJ in Boston, Massachusetts

18 months ago

Let me add that a 15/16 is the improved 11/12 and a 17/18 is a newer improved 13/14. So get a universal or get 15/16 and 17/18 vs the 11/12 and 13/14

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.