Private Schools Being Shut Down in Ontario

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

30 year vet in Edmonton, Alberta

40 months ago

Just a quick update as to what is happening in the Province of Ontario. As of 2010, there were 39 programs in Ontario---they have now shut down 10 of them and the remaining 9 programs reapplied for accreditation review but it was DENIED...so those 9 will shut down soon as well. SO...it's interesting that 19 programs of Dental Hygiene will now be closed down and no longer graduating dental hygienists.

There will be an implementation of the National Competencies at schools offering dental hygiene, and thus, standards will improve as they should. It looks as though some loopholes have been closed and possibly some conflicts of interest addressed.

More dental hygiene students are entering the Degree program or others doing the degree completion program. I would encourage all of you out there to check into a degree completion program---even if you take it one course at a time....you can grown in your abilities and in your passion about making a difference in people's lives by your skills/knowledge.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

rdh in Calgary, Alberta

40 months ago

Thank you for the info. 20 programs are still way too much.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

tracy@periosmart in Edmonton, Alberta

40 months ago

Thank the lord! Sorry to see the profession go down the pipes in the meantime!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

boziebeer

40 months ago

The CDHO should be making hygiene a university degree, like ultrasound and nurses have. They are looking for clout, well that will get us some. Although they want to present us as super trained at everything they have gave licenses to lots of students from the private schools. That was backwards not forwards, doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

waterbug100 in Nanaimo, British Columbia

40 months ago

None of the above will actually change anything. As long as we're tied to the CDS, our associations will NEVER have any clout regardless of how well educated we are. They won't be allowed to. We need to completely disassociate from DDS and organize collectively as the nurses have. Only then will we have any clout. A HUGE undertaking, taking many years to accomplish.

Our level of education doesn't matter at all, as we all know from what's happening currently. Our weakness lies in that we have no true independence as a 'profession'. We are still very much controlled by DDS - our education, wages, work environment, market saturation, job security etc. Nothing will change, ever, if we don't change their hold over us.

How do you think we got into the mess we're in? Our associations had no power to stop the opening of all the schools, NONE! Their ONLY leverage was to work along with the DDS' requests to allow more students to grad in order to ease the shortage of DH and sky rocketing wages, but they didn't listen. The CDS decided to open 35 new schools, and look where we are now.

Our associations have NO POWER because they are not ALLOWED to. Until that changes we will NEVER get ANYWHERE politically.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

rdh4 in Victoria, British Columbia

40 months ago

Very well said, Waterbug. We have to become completely separate to have any clout. And that will take a very long time to happen, or, most likely, will never happen.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

granolagirl in Airdrie, Alberta

40 months ago

We are easy targets, no doubt about it! We must look to other health care professions for guidance. Our future is being shaped by the big picture- like demographics, economics and politics. We only have to look to the USA to see that it is bad there too. Still, there is power in many individuals speaking up as one collective voice. We cannot just give up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

boziebeer

40 months ago

waterbug100 in Nanaimo, British Columbia said: None of the above will actually change anything. As long as we're tied to the CDS, our associations will NEVER have any clout regardless of how well educated we are. They won't be allowed to. We need to completely disassociate from DDS and organize collectively as the nurses have. Only then will we have any clout. A HUGE undertaking, taking many years to accomplish.

Our level of education doesn't matter at all, as we all know from what's happening currently. Our weakness lies in that we have no true independence as a 'profession'. We are still very much controlled by DDS - our education, wages, work environment, market saturation, job security etc. Nothing will change, ever, if we don't change their hold over us.

How do you think we got into the mess we're in? Our associations had no power to stop the opening of all the schools, NONE! Their ONLY leverage was to work along with the DDS' requests to allow more students to grad in order to ease the shortage of DH and sky rocketing wages, but they didn't listen. The CDS decided to open 35 new schools, and look where we are now.

Our associations have NO POWER because they are not ALLOWED to. Until that changes we will NEVER get ANYWHERE politically.

\
I totally agree, the dentist obviously are more intelligent then our liscense/association we need to take a stand but need a leader whom will do that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

karencottage in Oakville, Ontario

34 months ago

30 year vet in Edmonton, Alberta said: Just a quick update as to what is happening in the Province of Ontario. As of 2010, there were 39 programs in Ontario---they have now shut down 10 of them and the remaining 9 programs reapplied for accreditation review but it was DENIED...so those 9 will shut down soon as well. SO...it's interesting that 19 programs of Dental Hygiene will now be closed down and no longer graduating dental hygienists.

There will be an implementation of the National Competencies at schools offering dental hygiene, and thus, standards will improve as they should. It looks as though some loopholes have been closed and possibly some conflicts of interest addressed.

More dental hygiene students are entering the Degree program or others doing the degree completion program. I would encourage all of you out there to check into a degree completion program---even if you take it one course at a time....you can grown in your abilities and in your passion about making a difference in people's lives by your skills/knowledge.

I am so excited to see the schools coming to an end, what was the cdho, and the ministry of education and health thinking???? i have written many emails to them for this to happen.... we need more...but i have to say that i really dont think the dds are to blame...we created this problem...i wanted to have people sign a petition to send to the government ...so many said "they were afraid to sign in fear of being audited" we dont have an union...so we need to get a petition going to stop admissions to private schools....they've become a fast food chain...sad. we are supposed to have a symbiotic relationship with dds not fight against them...our education does not even come close to theirs. Iam proud of what we do , but 2 yrs college and 7-8 yrs university dont compare.We allowed this..i've been to meetings and the cdho dont seem to be bothered that too many of us cant get a job...so we need to go over them

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Holly in Orem, Utah

16 months ago

Thanks for sharing. I've been looking into private education in Seattle (www.brooklakechristianschool.org/aboutus/index.html) for dentistry but there are very limited options. My sister lives in Ontario and she offered for me to move in with her. I might do that if I have a shot at getting into one of the 20 programs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.