colleges for DH in toronto?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 3241)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

jas in Surrey, British Columbia

106 months ago

Can anybody tell me which is the best college to do DH in toronto area? i am really thinking about doing this but there are quite many colleges in toronto? how would u tell one better then other?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (134) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

AAA in Toronto, Ontario

104 months ago

Personnally I would go through George Brown College. I went through Seneca college but they have cancelled the programs. Going privately is more expensive and I don't think your as prepared for the workforce.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

VPK in Toronto, Ontario

104 months ago

jas in Surrey, British Columbia said: Can anybody tell me which is the best college to do DH in toronto area? i am really thinking about doing this but there are quite many colleges in toronto? how would u tell one better then other?

Get information from the schools you want to go to. Without a doubt going to a community college (George Brown) is hard to get into but worth trying before you make your final decision.

Contact GBC get information even some of the private schools are good I know of a few people who did the private school way and are doing fine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

VPK in Toronto, Ontario

104 months ago

That school is accrediated it has been for over 1 year now.

Check out the website.

www.toronto-college-dental.org

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

jas in Surrey, British Columbia

104 months ago

i know they are apprently on there website, but after applying to this school i was informed that there march class is non accrediated as they are moving there facility to some other location for march class. august one is fine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Jeremy in Calgary, Alberta

104 months ago

like is this a legit school?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

VPK in Toronto, Ontario

104 months ago

Jas,

Can I ask which school you are planning on going too?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jeremy in Calgary, Alberta

104 months ago

VPK what do u think about toronto college of dental hygiene

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jenny in Toronto in Maple, Ontario

104 months ago

Hello

I have heard only FANTASTIC THINGS ABOUT TORONTO COLLEGE OF DENTAL HYGIENE. Many of my friends are in the program currently and say that the curriculum is awesome and the teachers are great!
The March program was actually suppose to be a NEW school in addition to the one existing. They are not moving anywhere. They had so many applicants that they did not want them to wait until august. However they decided not to add the new school(March Class) They are just keeping the existing ACCREDITED program.

My friend that graduated passed her National Board exam on her first attempt and says that Toronto College really prepared her for it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

Mathew from Vancouver in Maple, Ontario

104 months ago

Hi

MY sister is in the Program at Toronto College of Dental Hygiene and Auxiliaries currently and only says great things about it. I am definately going to go there if I get in
I just applied for August and am on a waiting list.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

VPK in Toronto, Ontario

104 months ago

Jenny,

Are you presentaly in the program at that school or are you considering it?

104 months ago

Jenny in Toronto in Maple, Ontario said: Hello

I have heard only FANTASTIC THINGS ABOUT TORONTO COLLEGE OF DENTAL HYGIENE. Many of my friends are in the program currently and say that the curriculum is awesome and the teachers are great!
The March program was actually suppose to be a NEW school in addition to the one existing. They are not moving anywhere. They had so many applicants that they did not want them to wait until august. However they decided not to add the new school(March Class) They are just keeping the existing ACCREDITED program.

My friend that graduated passed her National Board exam on her first attempt and says that Toronto College really prepared her for it.

hey jenny

how many patients do you need in order to graduate from Toronto college of dental hygiene?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mandy in Surrey, British Columbia

104 months ago

I also applied for the August term, and have only heard good things about Toronto College of Dental Hygiene. I called and e-mailed many schools and found this one to be very informative. I was also told about the March term relocation. George Brown would be the better way to go but is incredibly hard for anyone from a different province to get into. I have my entrance exam in 2days and was wondering if there are any recommendations as to what i should focus most on. I have heard it is vary easy but still feel unprepared....thanks Mandy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

104 months ago

its extremely easy, the only thing u probably should prepare or practice on are the spatial arrangement questions. These you can find in any books that prepare you for the DAT. And you can find these in book stores such as chapters or at the university bookstore

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mandy in Surrey, British Columbia

104 months ago

I do have the DAT book and will look over the spatial arrangement questions. Thanks so much for the insight!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

VPK in Toronto, Ontario

103 months ago

Lindsay,

You are completely right community colleges are by far better.

Private schools only care about getting the money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Stacey in Markham, Ontario

103 months ago

jas in Surrey, British Columbia said: Can anybody tell me which is the best college to do DH in toronto area? i am really thinking about doing this but there are quite many colleges in toronto? how would u tell one better then other?

Actually all schools are great you just have to go out and check the school talk to instructors, I mean im in a private college in Downtown its a great school and all the graduates has jobs right after school it all depends on the board exam....

Stacey in Markham, Ontario

103 months ago

Jeremy in Calgary, Alberta said: Hey Stacy, i was told that in dental hygiene colleges, we have to find our own patients for our clinic practices. Is it difficult to find patients in the North York Region close to york university?

Well im on 3rd semester, i dont really have much family here my hometown is in calgary so i thought it was tough to get clients however, i just advertise my school and i leave my info in the ad....which worked alot i got atleast 15 clients from advertisment...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

WeeTartan in Fergus, Ontario

103 months ago

Wow, after reading all of these comments now I'm REALLY going to look into COmmunity COllege programs instead of private training. Privates seem to cost a fortune all the way around - a fortune to apply, a fortune to write the entrance exam, a fortune for tuition every semester...and so on down the line.
For someone like me who is just now trying to put a career together after raising a family for the past 16 years, I certainly don't have one of those "money trees" growing in MY back yard!
I often wondered how the folks who are actually IN these careers felt about private graduates as well...now I know that too! Thanks!
Definitely go with the time tested and traditionally honoured Community College approach! No doubt!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Heather in Waterloo, Ontario

103 months ago

I was wondering what kind of high school marks/ university marks...people have..especially those who have applied to community colleges.

If you could help me out

that would be awesome!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

DJL in Toronto, Ontario

103 months ago

I was a former clinical instructor at the Toronto College of Dental Hygiene and Auxiliaries. The dental hygiene program is accredited, and I can attest to the high calibre of the didactic and clinical instructors at the school. Many of the instructors (and program director) were still there since its inception. The students were treated with respect and mentored as fellow colleagues. However, keep in mind that no schools are perfect.

Sidenote: I am currently serving as a clinical instructor at another dental hygiene college in Toronto, which is holding the status of "program under survey". Your second choices can be those schools with this status, as they are close to receiving full accreditation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

DH in Thornhill, Ontario

103 months ago

I've been attending Oxford North Toronto and have been happy with it, it's a tough school but I have found it fine so far.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

TTT in Toronto, Ontario

103 months ago

March,

Do you guys get credit for the work already done or do you guys start over at the schools?

I may be wrong but I think all private schools are money making places they don't care about students.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bleeding unhealing wounds in Toronto, Ontario

103 months ago

Toronto College is the worst, they treat student with no respect at all very inhuman. The instructors will yell at you in front of your clients. They prepare false documentations against the students and make them sign it.What just because its an accredited college it does not mean they can do what they want.We should rise up and protest to this all of us. We are not here to pay $36000 fees and get humiliated. It yucks. Regency is the best dental hygiene school trust me guys.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Bleeding unhealing wounds in Toronto, Ontario

103 months ago

Toronto College is the worst, they treat student with no respect at all. The instructors will yell at you in front of your client. So inhuman.They document false situations against students and make them sign it. This is how they pressurize students. $ 36000 is not a small amount. After receiving the lumsome they keep failing the students in the last semester. Some of them even graduate without completing the requirements. Its all in their hands just because they are accredited. WE pay them and also lose our self respect. Regency is the best dental hygiene school till day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Patty1 in Woodbridge, Ontario

103 months ago

LK23 I cant believe students would have left their school to go to the Aurora Dental College, the school hasn't even been in business long enough to run a 2nd semester - are those students out there or what? Talk about being duped! They're going to have fun when they realize they're the ones being used.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

wow in Kelowna, British Columbia

102 months ago

Have you gone there Beth?

Beth in Scarborough, Ontario

102 months ago

Yes, I am stuck in that hell hole right now. The teachers are so rude. There is a lot of unfair business that goes on in that clinic. There are so many students and not enough instructors. Don't be fooled!!! Save you self and go to a good school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

watch out in Toronto, Ontario

102 months ago

Beth are you at Scarborough?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Just some advice in Pickering, Ontario

102 months ago

I would rec. for anyone going into DH.....as a George Brown grad.....GO TO GEORGE BROWN or community college.....your well prepared...there are SO many hygienists out there...to guarantee a position your best bet is going to a good school....to answer the question regarding the test results and high marks to get in....they review the overall application, scores and credentials that your applying with....many of us held degrees from my graduating class.....so it is tight competition to get in....

NJen in Mississauga, Ontario

102 months ago

wow in Kelowna, British Columbia said: Hi Jen
Thanks I am looking in to Oxford College of Arts they are accreddited. North is not. Which school are you trying to go to?

Hi Kelowna, yes Oxford College of Arts is the school in Scarborough, they are accredited. The other dental hygiene school Oxford North Toronto has received its program survey status for accreditation. I'm not sure yet where I'm going, there are a lot of dental hygiene schools to choose from and I'm giving myself until the end of the summer to decide. Good luck with your search.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

wow in Kelowna, British Columbia

102 months ago

NJen in Mississauga, Ontario said: Hi Kelowna, yes Oxford College of Arts is the school in Scarborough, they are accredited. The other dental hygiene school Oxford North Toronto has received its program survey status for accreditation. I'm not sure yet where I'm going, there are a lot of dental hygiene schools to choose from and I'm giving myself until the end of the summer to decide. Good luck with your search.

Hi Jen
Good luck with your search too!

Lilu in Toronto, Ontario

102 months ago

Has anyone hear of kent college??? please anyone. they seem to be very nice and well organise, just not acredited yeat!!!!! they have recive program status might get acredited this december.

please help

Lilu in Etobicoke, Ontario

102 months ago

hi,have you heard anything about kent college of dental hyg.???? most of the programs for July and semptember are take!!! they only have 4 spots left, i really want to get in this year. Regency is closed, excellent reputation and Toronto college is close as well.thank you

NJen in Mississauga, Ontario

102 months ago

Hi Lilu, I don't know much about them other than they are in the downtown area, if you are looking for a school in the core Yorkville Dental Hygiene College has an excellent reputation and of course there is George Brown College.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lilu in Etobicoke, Ontario

102 months ago

thank you NJen. i went to see the college 2weeks ago. they seem really organised and well prepare, just not acredited yeat, that's the scary thing. i love the fact that they take only 14 students. i apply 4 times to george brown and never got in. i don't know what to do??? toronto college is great as well but they are close.thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

missy in Edmonton, Alberta

102 months ago

I am going to be a student at The Toronto College of Dental Hygiene and Auxiliaries this coming August, but I have no idea where it is. I have never been in Toronto, I am a resident of edmonton, but I was looking up the school and i got 2 different postal codes... which made me a little curious which one is the correct one. One says North York and the other says Toronto, which one is it? Anyone that has been there recently? So confused :(

T in Calgary, Alberta

102 months ago

missy in Edmonton, Alberta said: I am going to be a student at The Toronto College of Dental Hygiene and Auxiliaries this coming August, but I have no idea where it is. I have never been in Toronto, I am a resident of edmonton, but I was looking up the school and i got 2 different postal codes... which made me a little curious which one is the correct one. One says North York and the other says Toronto, which one is it? Anyone that has been there recently? So confused :(

Hey missy, i am actually attending the same school in toronto as well for this upcoming august. They have two seperate buildings. One for like 1st year students and the second building is like for 2nd year students, where they do their practice.

DJL in Hamilton, Ontario

102 months ago

missy in Edmonton, Alberta said: I am going to be a student at The Toronto College of Dental Hygiene and Auxiliaries this coming August, but I have no idea where it is. I have never been in Toronto, I am a resident of edmonton, but I was looking up the school and i got 2 different postal codes... which made me a little curious which one is the correct one. One says North York and the other says Toronto, which one is it? Anyone that has been there recently? So confused :(

North York is actually within the Toronto city boundary. The main campus is on Steeprock Ave. The other site, which is for first year student, is about a block away from the main campus. The school is accredited and the instructors have been there for a few years already.

DJL in Hamilton, Ontario

102 months ago

Yorkville Graduate in Toronto, Ontario said: I would just like to say that I recently graduated from Yorkville College in Toronto. In regards to going to a private school, I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for. I arrived at school with 15yrs of dental assisting background and never a day went by that I did not learn something new. I am very proud to say that I graduated from a school that cares for its students and does everything that they can to help you out. I would be lying if I said that the curriculum was easy, as it was very challenging. I am so prepared for the NDHCB that I have not a fear in my head. We have chose this profession and want a challenge, if your not up for it go into hair dressing. The responsibilities that go along with this profession encompass much than what your paycheck reads at the end of the month.
I am actually tired of hearing people say that they do not want to go to a private school, and a nonaccredited one at that. In the end, you have to be tested by your peers in a clinical exam. Upon passing you will have proven that you are more than capable to become a Registered dental hygienist. On the other hand accredited program graduates do not have to go through this and hmmmm they are not truly tested by anyone. WHO WOULD YOU LIKE TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR ORAL HEALTH AND OVERALL WELLNESS.
To make a long story short you have to choose the best school that suits your needs in respect too, finances, location etc.
I actually came all the way from BC for this great experience and will gladly state that I graduated from YORKVILLE COLLEGE OF PROFESSIONAL STUDIES.

Good for you. I hope you have learned a lot from us. By the way, what is your status regarding board exam, clinical exam, and DH registration in BC?

Peter Konieczny in Scarborough, Ontario

102 months ago

A report was released today by the Canadian Millennium Scholarships Foundation, which is a Federal Government agency. The report is a very large survey of people who attended private career colleges in Canada, and it offers some intersting information on the background of people, why they choose programs, what they expected from the program, and how they financed it. Although it is a long read, I would suggest any student interested should download it. The part where they talk about issues related to student debt is very interesting.

www.millenniumscholarships.ca/images/Publications/080331_SCCCS_EN.pdf

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

missy in Edmonton, Alberta

102 months ago

T in Calgary, Alberta said: Hey missy, i am actually attending the same school in toronto as well for this upcoming august. They have two seperate buildings. One for like 1st year students and the second building is like for 2nd year students, where they do their practice.

oh wow! Good to know I at least am acquainted with someone also from Alberta that is going to be in my class! Thanks T!! I am still looking for a place to live down there, have you found a place yet?

T in Calgary, Alberta

102 months ago

well i am also looking for a place as well, but one thing you should advoid is renting a place near jane and finch, that place is like ghetto and i heard that there are alot of shootings. The place i am looking at is like 2km away from the school, and i dont know the exact location but i will have to get back to you on that.

flossed in Scarborough, Ontario

102 months ago

Lilu in Brampton, Ontario said: Has anyone heard of Kent College for Dental Hygiene??? I heard their good and only accept 14 students!!!

I am a first level student from Alberta in the dental hygiene program at Kent College. You are right about the staff. They are excellent and have personally helped me a lot. The college is small and it's for this reason that I love it! It is very much like a small family.

I have favorite and not so favorite instructors but overall the faculty is excellent! The clinic is extremely organized. We have 11 students in our class and I don't think anyone regrets their decision in coming here.

The word on the street about our college must be good because we have students from other schools coming here to prep for their board exams and clinic evaluations.

If you would like to speak with any of us, feel free to call the school and ask to speak with a student. I don't the school would mind. Coming from out of province, this decision was difficult for many us. If we can help someone out there make a good decision, we would be more than happy to.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

102 months ago

I spoke with the Registrar at our school and asked if it would be OK for prospective students to speak with current students by calling the college. He loved the idea. I think it's the only way you can get honest feedback about the school. Kent College's phone number is 1-866-942-1800 or 416-929-1800. The Registrar's extension is 30.

102 months ago

sorry....I have to add one more thing. In reading these "student" posts it sounds to me like a lot of these posts are from people that work at a college as opposed to real students. If it's true, it would be unfortunate. As a prospectgive student from another province, it was very hard for me to get honest answers. These forums should be for students looking to help one another as opposed to being misled.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

interdental aid in Toronto, Ontario

102 months ago

flossed in Scarborough, Ontario said: sorry....I have to add one more thing. In reading these "student" posts it sounds to me like a lot of these posts are from people that work at a college as opposed to real students. If it's true, it would be unfortunate. As a prospectgive student from another province, it was very hard for me to get honest answers. These forums should be for students looking to help one another as opposed to being misled.

flossed
I totally agree with you. If u would have noticed the librarian from Oxford College spoke all rosy things about it, ok but how about the students who sued the school and why thats all hidden.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Worried in Kelowna, British Columbia

102 months ago

interdental aid in Toronto, Ontario said: flossed
I totally agree with you. If u would have noticed the librarian from Oxford College spoke all rosy things about it, ok but how about the students who sued the school and why thats all hidden.

WHAT! Dish how do you know this?? I have applied to this school!

interdental aid in Toronto, Ontario

102 months ago

Common every one knows it. Thats the reason why so many students transferred to other schools. I personally know many students that trasferred to non accredited schools. It was a big issue and a lot of racism goes on.

Worried in Kelowna, British Columbia

102 months ago

interdental aid in Toronto, Ontario said: Common every one knows it. Thats the reason why so many students transferred to other schools. I personally know many students that trasferred to non accredited schools. It was a big issue and a lot of racism goes on.

Did you go to this school?

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.