colleges for DH in toronto?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 3292)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

jas in Surrey, British Columbia

86 months ago

Can anybody tell me which is the best college to do DH in toronto area? i am really thinking about doing this but there are quite many colleges in toronto? how would u tell one better then other?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (105) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

AAA in Toronto, Ontario

84 months ago

Personnally I would go through George Brown College. I went through Seneca college but they have cancelled the programs. Going privately is more expensive and I don't think your as prepared for the workforce.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

VPK in Toronto, Ontario

84 months ago

jas in Surrey, British Columbia said: Can anybody tell me which is the best college to do DH in toronto area? i am really thinking about doing this but there are quite many colleges in toronto? how would u tell one better then other?

Get information from the schools you want to go to. Without a doubt going to a community college (George Brown) is hard to get into but worth trying before you make your final decision.

Contact GBC get information even some of the private schools are good I know of a few people who did the private school way and are doing fine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Jeremy in Calgary, Alberta

84 months ago

Hi i just applied to Toronto College of Dental Hygiene and Auxillaries and i am just wondering how is that school compared to others?

thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

hey jeremy
i applied to that college as well, but then i found out there march intake is not accrediated and august one is. which session did u apply to? personally i dont want to take any risks goin for a non accrediated one?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

VPK in Toronto, Ontario

84 months ago

That school is accrediated it has been for over 1 year now.

Check out the website.

www.toronto-college-dental.org

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

i know they are apprently on there website, but after applying to this school i was informed that there march class is non accrediated as they are moving there facility to some other location for march class. august one is fine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

jas in Surrey, British Columbia said: hey jeremy
i applied to that college as well, but then i found out there march intake is not accrediated and august one is. which session did u apply to? personally i dont want to take any risks goin for a non accrediated one?

hey jas yea i applied into the march one as well. and they informed me that it was non accreditated but i just have to do a practical test and stuff. But now they part me into the August Program. But there are no risk to this school right?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

like is this a legit school?

84 months ago

hey jeremy,

yeh thats exactly what they told me as well. however i do not wish to wait for august session. anyways i have applied to a different school in meantime, and hopefully i will get accepted in there.

84 months ago

Jeremy in Calgary, Alberta said: like is this a legit school?

hopefully.... i kind of find this very strange that this is no where on there website that there upcoming session in non accrediated..anyways they informed me about this after i cleared the entrance exam and all. i don think that was very fair bcoz if i would known that its non accrediated i would not have applied there at first place and wasted my time and money to write the exam. so for that reason i dont find them very ......credible who knows when august comes around they say the same thing again ..... uups sorry its non accrediated as well...
jas

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

VPK in Toronto, Ontario

84 months ago

sorry Jas I was not aware of the school relocating but if you find another one maybe that would be a wise route to take.

Do what feels right I agree you should of been informed prior to doing the test if they were accrediated or not.

84 months ago

yea thats true i am applying to u of c just in case they do say the same thing

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

VPK in Toronto, Ontario

84 months ago

Jas,

Can I ask which school you are planning on going too?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jeremy in Calgary, Alberta

84 months ago

VPK what do u think about toronto college of dental hygiene

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

VPK in Toronto, Ontario

84 months ago

Jeremy,

From what I understand it is a good school but I was not aware of the school moving and why they are relocating.

The location they were at was good. Still apply to that school if you want too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

VPK in Toronto, Ontario said: Jeremy,

From what I understand it is a good school but I was not aware of the school moving and why they are relocating.

The location they were at was good. Still apply to that school if you want too.

thanks VPK for your help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

VPK in Toronto, Ontario

84 months ago

Jeremy,

I know they have also been operating since 2003 so it is not a new school we have others that are newer.

A friend of mine did graduate from the school also in 2005 she was in the second class.

Honestly, I am not sure what extactly is going on with them now.

I would say you have a good plan apply to U of C and this school only if you want too.

83 months ago

VPK in Toronto, Ontario said: Jeremy,

I know they have also been operating since 2003 so it is not a new school we have others that are newer.

A friend of mine did graduate from the school also in 2005 she was in the second class.

Honestly, I am not sure what extactly is going on with them now.

I would say you have a good plan apply to U of C and this school only if you want too.

hey thanks VPK, and also is it true that in colleges, during your practice, i have to find your own certain number of patients to practice on otherwise you will fail

VPK in Toronto, Ontario

83 months ago

Yes Jeremy you have to find all your own patients ususally they want 30 patients.

that too can be difficult.

Jenny in Toronto in Maple, Ontario

83 months ago

Hello

I have heard only FANTASTIC THINGS ABOUT TORONTO COLLEGE OF DENTAL HYGIENE. Many of my friends are in the program currently and say that the curriculum is awesome and the teachers are great!
The March program was actually suppose to be a NEW school in addition to the one existing. They are not moving anywhere. They had so many applicants that they did not want them to wait until august. However they decided not to add the new school(March Class) They are just keeping the existing ACCREDITED program.

My friend that graduated passed her National Board exam on her first attempt and says that Toronto College really prepared her for it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

Mathew from Vancouver in Maple, Ontario

83 months ago

Hi

MY sister is in the Program at Toronto College of Dental Hygiene and Auxiliaries currently and only says great things about it. I am definately going to go there if I get in
I just applied for August and am on a waiting list.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

VPK in Toronto, Ontario

83 months ago

Jenny,

Are you presentaly in the program at that school or are you considering it?

83 months ago

Jenny in Toronto in Maple, Ontario said: Hello

I have heard only FANTASTIC THINGS ABOUT TORONTO COLLEGE OF DENTAL HYGIENE. Many of my friends are in the program currently and say that the curriculum is awesome and the teachers are great!
The March program was actually suppose to be a NEW school in addition to the one existing. They are not moving anywhere. They had so many applicants that they did not want them to wait until august. However they decided not to add the new school(March Class) They are just keeping the existing ACCREDITED program.

My friend that graduated passed her National Board exam on her first attempt and says that Toronto College really prepared her for it.

hey jenny

how many patients do you need in order to graduate from Toronto college of dental hygiene?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mandy in Surrey, British Columbia

83 months ago

I also applied for the August term, and have only heard good things about Toronto College of Dental Hygiene. I called and e-mailed many schools and found this one to be very informative. I was also told about the March term relocation. George Brown would be the better way to go but is incredibly hard for anyone from a different province to get into. I have my entrance exam in 2days and was wondering if there are any recommendations as to what i should focus most on. I have heard it is vary easy but still feel unprepared....thanks Mandy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

its extremely easy, the only thing u probably should prepare or practice on are the spatial arrangement questions. These you can find in any books that prepare you for the DAT. And you can find these in book stores such as chapters or at the university bookstore

Mandy in Surrey, British Columbia

83 months ago

I do have the DAT book and will look over the spatial arrangement questions. Thanks so much for the insight!!

Lindsay in Whitchurch-stouffville, Ontario

83 months ago

jas in Surrey, British Columbia said: Can anybody tell me which is the best college to do DH in toronto area? i am really thinking about doing this but there are quite many colleges in toronto? how would u tell one better then other?

Hi,

I would like to inform all that the best dental hygiene education comes from the community colleges. Even though some of the private schools are accredited, I have heard that there is often problems with the teachers and overall in practice, graduating from a private college is frowned upon by dentists who will be hiring you. I would apply to George Brown and Durham College which is in Oshawa.

People may have had other experiences or opinions, but this is what I have seen in my own experience. Hopefully this has been helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

VPK in Toronto, Ontario

83 months ago

Lindsay,

You are completely right community colleges are by far better.

Private schools only care about getting the money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Stacey in Markham, Ontario

83 months ago

Actually all schools are great you just have to go out and check the school talk to instructors, I mean im in a private college in Downtown its a great school and all the graduates has jobs right after school it all depends on the board exam....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lindsay in Whitchurch-stouffville, Ontario

83 months ago

Stacey in Markham, Ontario said: Actually all schools are great you just have to go out and check the school talk to instructors, I mean im in a private college in Downtown its a great school and all the graduates has jobs right after school it all depends on the board exam....

Hi Stacey,

I have an inside view of this because I am a dental hygiene instructor and I have taught at both private colleges and community colleges. I am telling you and all other students who wish to apply to dental hygiene school that you should be very careful about how you spend your money. It can cost 30-60k to go to a private college where as the community colleges really care about the education and cost approx 6-10k. That is a real difference. Especially with all the private schools in Ontario, the province is now very saturated with all the new graduates and dentists will in turn be much more selective when they are hiring. I was just trying to give a professional opinion for those who do not have money growing on trees for their education. A leg up in the field will be the long-standing quality education you can receive from the community colleges. Also, with the new self-initiation legislation in Ontario, you want to ensure that you are trained with the utmost quality instruction.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Hey Stacy, i was told that in dental hygiene colleges, we have to find our own patients for our clinic practices. Is it difficult to find patients in the North York Region close to york university?

83 months ago

Jeremy in Calgary, Alberta said: Hey Stacy, i was told that in dental hygiene colleges, we have to find our own patients for our clinic practices. Is it difficult to find patients in the North York Region close to york university?

Well im on 3rd semester, i dont really have much family here my hometown is in calgary so i thought it was tough to get clients however, i just advertise my school and i leave my info in the ad....which worked alot i got atleast 15 clients from advertisment...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Lindsay in Whitchurch-stouffville, Ontario said: Hi Stacey,

I have an inside view of this because I am a dental hygiene instructor and I have taught at both private colleges and community colleges. I am telling you and all other students who wish to apply to dental hygiene school that you should be very careful about how you spend your money. It can cost 30-60k to go to a private college where as the community colleges really care about the education and cost approx 6-10k. That is a real difference. Especially with all the private schools in Ontario, the province is now very saturated with all the new graduates and dentists will in turn be much more selective when they are hiring. I was just trying to give a professional opinion for those who do not have money growing on trees for their education. A leg up in the field will be the long-standing quality education you can receive from the community colleges. Also, with the new self-initiation legislation in Ontario, you want to ensure that you are trained with the utmost quality instruction.

i undertand ur view..but dentist dont really care where you graduated from they dont ask as long as you have your diploma and if ur a certified Dental Hygienist we all have the same books same instructors...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

VPK in Toronto, Ontario

83 months ago

Stacey,

I think Lindsay is saying community colleges have quality education not all private schools do.

You must know the private schools have created a problem for hygienist in Ontario alone their are way too many.

Not all get jobs some have to go back to working as assistants so please don't paint this perfect picture for all hygienist who graduate from private schools.

Some dentist only want George Brown graduates and that is a fact because of the quality of education they receive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

WeeTartan in Fergus, Ontario

83 months ago

Wow, after reading all of these comments now I'm REALLY going to look into COmmunity COllege programs instead of private training. Privates seem to cost a fortune all the way around - a fortune to apply, a fortune to write the entrance exam, a fortune for tuition every semester...and so on down the line.
For someone like me who is just now trying to put a career together after raising a family for the past 16 years, I certainly don't have one of those "money trees" growing in MY back yard!
I often wondered how the folks who are actually IN these careers felt about private graduates as well...now I know that too! Thanks!
Definitely go with the time tested and traditionally honoured Community College approach! No doubt!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Stacey in Markham, Ontario said: Well im on 3rd semester, i dont really have much family here my hometown is in calgary so i thought it was tough to get clients however, i just advertise my school and i leave my info in the ad....which worked alot i got atleast 15 clients from advertisment...

Hey stacey
like did u just advertise in the paper or like internet forums? and how many clients did u need for your school to graduate?
thanks

83 months ago

Jeremy in Calgary, Alberta said: Hey stacey
like did u just advertise in the paper or like internet forums? and how many clients did u need for your school to graduate?
thanks

yes i advertised it in internet and the local newspaper...well they prefer 30 clients but some schools i heard if they see the student showing lots of effort looking for clients the'll be okay with 25 clients but no less then 25 but me my goal is 30 clients...

Heather in Waterloo, Ontario

83 months ago

I was wondering what kind of high school marks/ university marks...people have..especially those who have applied to community colleges.

If you could help me out

that would be awesome!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

DJL in Toronto, Ontario

83 months ago

I was a former clinical instructor at the Toronto College of Dental Hygiene and Auxiliaries. The dental hygiene program is accredited, and I can attest to the high calibre of the didactic and clinical instructors at the school. Many of the instructors (and program director) were still there since its inception. The students were treated with respect and mentored as fellow colleagues. However, keep in mind that no schools are perfect.

Sidenote: I am currently serving as a clinical instructor at another dental hygiene college in Toronto, which is holding the status of "program under survey". Your second choices can be those schools with this status, as they are close to receiving full accreditation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Jen in Etobicoke, Ontario

83 months ago

I had a bad experience at toronto college and auxillaries.They kick out most of the students in last semester after receiving all the money. Can you believe even foreign trained dentist are kicked out. A lot of racism goes on. T he programm coordinator is really sneaky all crocodile tears. BE WARE OF THEM GUYS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

DH in Thornhill, Ontario

83 months ago

I've been attending Oxford North Toronto and have been happy with it, it's a tough school but I have found it fine so far.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

TTT in Toronto, Ontario

82 months ago

March,

Do you guys get credit for the work already done or do you guys start over at the schools?

I may be wrong but I think all private schools are money making places they don't care about students.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bleeding unhealing wounds in Toronto, Ontario

82 months ago

Toronto College is the worst, they treat student with no respect at all very inhuman. The instructors will yell at you in front of your clients. They prepare false documentations against the students and make them sign it.What just because its an accredited college it does not mean they can do what they want.We should rise up and protest to this all of us. We are not here to pay $36000 fees and get humiliated. It yucks. Regency is the best dental hygiene school trust me guys.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Bleeding unhealing wounds in Toronto, Ontario

82 months ago

Toronto College is the worst, they treat student with no respect at all. The instructors will yell at you in front of your client. So inhuman.They document false situations against students and make them sign it. This is how they pressurize students. $ 36000 is not a small amount. After receiving the lumsome they keep failing the students in the last semester. Some of them even graduate without completing the requirements. Its all in their hands just because they are accredited. WE pay them and also lose our self respect. Regency is the best dental hygiene school till day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

TTT in Toronto, Ontario

82 months ago

Bleeding,

Do you know if Regency treats their students with respect or not?

I am worried I don't have money to throw out the window or spend lots of money either.

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

friend in Toronto, Ontario

82 months ago

I suggest that the best way to find out if specific private colleges are a good place to be and if the students are treated with respect, would be to talk to the students directly. I'm sure that if you went to the schools for the entrance exams, you'd find many students to speak to and to ask. It is not a bad idea to check out all the schools that you are interested in personally prior to enrolling, as you will be investing a lot of money, and you need to make sure you pick the right one!

As for private vs public, as long as you are competent at the end, you should have no trouble finding employment. Some colleges may be into just the money grab, but i can assure you that it is not the intention of all the colleges. Be assured! My self and my colleagues have personally hired numerous graduates from a specific private college and have been EXTREMELY happy with their knowledge and skills. I would have absolutely no reservations hiring a student who graduated from Yorkville College.

It is ashame to hear of many of your bad experiences with some of the private colleges, but i'm, sure that if a student has the desire to learn and works hard, NO school private or public would treat them with a lack of respect or fail them unnecessarily. Make sure you make an informed descision. Accreditation should not be the be all and end all!!! It has LITTLE bearing on the quality of the coures and program! It is just a way of CDAC ensuring that the schools conform to their somnewhat outrageous guidelines- not program content! I would hire a student from either an accredited or non accredited college if they were skilled, personable and competent!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Yorkville Graduate in Toronto, Ontario

82 months ago

I would just like to say that I recently graduated from Yorkville College in Toronto. In regards to going to a private school, I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for. I arrived at school with 15yrs of dental assisting background and never a day went by that I did not learn something new. I am very proud to say that I graduated from a school that cares for its students and does everything that they can to help you out. I would be lying if I said that the curriculum was easy, as it was very challenging. I am so prepared for the NDHCB that I have not a fear in my head. We have chose this profession and want a challenge, if your not up for it go into hair dressing. The responsibilities that go along with this profession encompass much than what your paycheck reads at the end of the month.
I am actually tired of hearing people say that they do not want to go to a private school, and a nonaccredited one at that. In the end, you have to be tested by your peers in a clinical exam. Upon passing you will have proven that you are more than capable to become a Registered dental hygienist. On the other hand accredited program graduates do not have to go through this and hmmmm they are not truly tested by anyone. WHO WOULD YOU LIKE TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR ORAL HEALTH AND OVERALL WELLNESS.
To make a long story short you have to choose the best school that suits your needs in respect too, finances, location etc.
I actually came all the way from BC for this great experience and will gladly state that I graduated from YORKVILLE COLLEGE OF PROFESSIONAL STUDIES.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

TTT in Toronto, Ontario

82 months ago

I believe as long as you want to do it the school does not play a factor.

All private schools in my opinion are in the same boat and whatever you put in you get out.

To all those that have finished the program much luck and success for your future careers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Patty1 in Woodbridge, Ontario

82 months ago

LK23 I cant believe students would have left their school to go to the Aurora Dental College, the school hasn't even been in business long enough to run a 2nd semester - are those students out there or what? Talk about being duped! They're going to have fun when they realize they're the ones being used.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.