SC boards

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (19)

Mom in South Dennis, Massachusetts

75 months ago

Hi everyone,
I have been a licensed hygienist for years, over 20. I would love to move south, but the problem is I have not actively practiced for 3 out of 5 years
which is what SC requires for a license. I started back as a hygienist last summer, now that the kids are older. How hard do you all think it would be to take and pass the SC clinical boards? How would I find the material to study? I don't like the idea of taking the boards again!!! Georgia, would be an option, but they require 5 years of practicing 1,000 hours each year. I worked less then that. Any suggestions? We really want to settle in SC, without this license, means I would have to fly North, on and off for the next year and half, to stay "actively practicing" until I could apply.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

cjhudson in Beaufort, South Carolina

75 months ago

Hi, I live in Beaufort, SC I currently work on a military base. I moved here almost 4 years ago and I did not have my license when I move to SC. I worked for a few months on the base and applied for my license. I believe you only have to have 1 year of experience. The written exam is open book and you just pay your money for the license. That's it.... Good luck. They have a website, I'm not sure what it is though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Mom in Cambridge, Massachusetts

75 months ago

They must have changed that requirement. For license by credentials, you have had to actively practice for 3 out of 5. Or, take the clinical boards again, with a short written exam.
I hope you are enjoying SC, I can't wait to move down there! Thank you for your response.

DH Military Spouse in Orange Park, Florida

75 months ago

Mom in Cambridge, Massachusetts said: They must have changed that requirement. For license by credentials, you have had to actively practice for 3 out of 5. Or, take the clinical boards again, with a short written exam.
I hope you are enjoying SC, I can't wait to move down there! Thank you for your response.

I believe she was refering to only having to have 1 yr to work on the base?? I know you are correct about the 3 of 5 yrs experience. I got my SC DH license by credential in 2003. I agree the one way you could live and work in SC without a SC license would be a government job because you just need a DH license from any state. I am a military spouse that has taken the NERB, WREB, SC (it was an oral board at the time, basically credential), and now FL. We really need to do something in our profession to change the portability of our license. Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

DH Military Spouse in Orange Park, Florida

75 months ago

I would say just bite the bullet and take the clinical board. You don't need to study per se. It is a clinical board. You have to read the candidates guide thoroughly in order to choose the correct patient with qualifying calculus, pockets, specific radiographs, but all in all the clinical board is not bad. Considering you have been practicing for so long you should do fine. Getting a qualifying patient you know and trust to the board is the problem.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

christy in Appleton, Wisconsin

74 months ago

cjhudson in Beaufort, South Carolina said: Hi, I live in Beaufort, SC I currently work on a military base. I moved here almost 4 years ago and I did not have my license when I move to SC. I worked for a few months on the base and applied for my license. I believe you only have to have 1 year of experience. The written exam is open book and you just pay your money for the license. That's it.... Good luck. They have a website, I'm not sure what it is though.

I'm thinking of moving to Charleston,s.c., do you like woring on a base? I've been a full time practicing RDH since 2005- an assistant since 1999. Is it difficult to find a job in Charleston? Do you know of any openings?

jarvisd12@comcast.net in Macomb, Michigan

71 months ago

cjhudson in Beaufort, South Carolina said: Hi, I live in Beaufort, SC I currently work on a military base. I moved here almost 4 years ago and I did not have my license when I move to SC. I worked for a few months on the base and applied for my license. I believe you only have to have 1 year of experience. The written exam is open book and you just pay your money for the license. That's it.... Good luck. They have a website, I'm not sure what it is though.

how do you like it at base? how do you like Beaufort? Do you get paid well? I heard you just have to pay 2000.00 to get a license in sc if i have my mi license, is that true?

Ali in Darlington, South Carolina

67 months ago

Hi everyone I was wondering if I have a current RDH license in sc and would like to go to nc. Do I have to take another board to practice in nc or do I have to pay a licensing fee? I have been a RDH for 8 years and I am looking to make a move not many jobs in sc right now! Thanks for your help!

CAM in Alpharetta, Georgia

67 months ago

DH Military Spouse in Orange Park, Florida said: I would say just bite the bullet and take the clinical board. You don't need to study per se. It is a clinical board. You have to read the candidates guide thoroughly in order to choose the correct patient with qualifying calculus, pockets, specific radiographs, but all in all the clinical board is not bad. Considering you have been practicing for so long you should do fine. Getting a qualifying patient you know and trust to the board is the problem.

Yes< I am taking CRDTS in Dec 7 and I dont have a patient...any ideas for finding one would be appreciated

67 months ago

Mom in South Dennis, Massachusetts said: Hi everyone,
I have been a licensed hygienist for years, over 20. I would love to move south, but the problem is I have not actively practiced for 3 out of 5 years
which is what SC requires for a license. I started back as a hygienist last summer, now that the kids are older. How hard do you all think it would be to take and pass the SC clinical boards? How would I find the material to study? I don't like the idea of taking the boards again!!! Georgia, would be an option, but they require 5 years of practicing 1,000 hours each year. I worked less then that. Any suggestions? We really want to settle in SC, without this license, means I would have to fly North, on and off for the next year and half, to stay "actively practicing" until I could apply.

Hi I had the same situation. Am licensed in VA and moved to GA and hadnt worked for a few yrs, so I am sched to take CRDTS exam in early Dec. I CANT find a patient anywhere. They have to have quite a bit of calculus. The exam is costly 850.00 and I dont want to lose the money, but right now I dont have anyone. Any ideas?

exp in Massachusetts

67 months ago

CAM in Alpharetta, Georgia said: Hi I had the same situation. Am licensed in VA and moved to GA and hadnt worked for a few yrs, so I am sched to take CRDTS exam in early Dec. I CANT find a patient anywhere. They have to have quite a bit of calculus. The exam is costly 850.00 and I dont want to lose the money, but right now I dont have anyone. Any ideas?

Hi CAM, Have you tried any local Dental or D.H. schools...maybe they could give you one of their patients....and pay either the Dental/D.H. student and their patient? Worth a try. GL

67 months ago

Yes I plan to pay them. I did check a free dental clinic and they were not helpful at all. I will check with a local school to see . Thanks for the reply.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SweetCrdh

65 months ago

Ali in Darlington, South Carolina said: Hi everyone I was wondering if I have a current RDH license in sc and would like to go to nc. Do I have to take another board to practice in nc or do I have to pay a licensing fee? I have been a RDH for 8 years and I am looking to make a move not many jobs in sc right now! Thanks for your help!

Ali, think twice about moving to NC to practice hygiene. We have about 33 dental hygiene schools per state and finding a job is going to be "easier" around Charlotte or Raleigh than any other area in the state. There are too many hygienist and not enough jobs to go around. Best of luck.

M in SC in Hilton Head Island, South Carolina

64 months ago

Hi Everyone,
I have been looking everywhere for a DH job in the HH area. I have done some temp. work, but I desperately need something on a permanent basis. My husband is out of work at the moment. Does anyone know of a dentist who is looking for help?
I am relatively new to the area, and I had no idea it would be this hard to find something! Help! Please!

ALexandra Perez in Pompano Beach, Florida

61 months ago

Hi, I'm trying to find a job as a dental assistant in Beaufort, SC (on base) but I don't know were to go. I have de expanded function, CPR and x-ray license from Florida. do you have a contact number I can call?

exp in Seabrook, New Hampshire

61 months ago

ALexandra Perez in Pompano Beach, Florida said: Hi, I'm trying to find a job as a dental assistant in Beaufort, SC (on base) but I don't know were to go. I have de expanded function, CPR and x-ray license from Florida. do you have a contact number I can call?

Hi, There is a DA forum on this site...they may be able to provide more info as to work...etc. GL I feel as a DA you are more likely to obtain F.T. work or BEN's as opposed to the RDH...GL on your job search! P.S. Contact Military bases in that state...they will give you the best info...google.

SCRDH in Orange Park, Florida

61 months ago

I will be moving to Beaufort SC next month. Could you tell me the name of the company you contract with for your military base dental hygiene job? Thanks[ QUOTE who="cjhudson in Beaufort, South Carolina"]Hi, I live in Beaufort, SC I currently work on a military base. I moved here almost 4 years ago and I did not have my license when I move to SC. I worked for a few months on the base and applied for my license. I believe you only have to have 1 year of experience. The written exam is open book and you just pay your money for the license. That's it.... Good luck. They have a website, I'm not sure what it is though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

pineapple in Herndon, Virginia

47 months ago

Hi dental hygiene colleagues ~ I am retiring and moving to Salem, SC. I've been a hygienst for 30 years....yikes! and want to work one day a week in SC. Does anyone know what I have to do, if anything, to work as a RDH in SC. Thanking you in advance, Marion

beansRDH in Beaufort, South Carolina

39 months ago

I have been a RDH for 20 years. I am currently looking for a part-time position in Beaufort or Bluffton. Does anyone know who needs help at a reputable office? I have been a temp for six years and the economy has affected temp calls.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.