dental hygienist jobs in new zealand

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 99)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Linda in Gatineau, Quebec

67 months ago

I would like to know how easy it is to work in new Zealand as a dental Hygienist

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (110) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

Gale in Vancouver, British Columbia

67 months ago

Linda in Gatineau, Quebec said: I would like to know how easy it is to work in new Zealand as a dental Hygienist

I am a Dental Hygienist working in Vancouver, BC and am also interested in working in either Australia or New Zealand. Anyone out there have information on how to best find employment as a Dental Hygienist there and what the requirements may be?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (105) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Crystal in Garland, Texas

64 months ago

kelly in Saint Catharines, Ontario said: Did anyone find out a good website for dental hygienists to check out regarding jobs in Australia or New Zealand?
Thanks =)

www.workingin-newzealand.com/info/545

www.dentalcouncil.org.nz/Documents/Forms/DH002_Application_HygienistNonPrescribed.pdf

these seemed to be pretty helpful to see what all is involved. I am planning on moving to New Zealand in Jan. 2010 from the USA to work as a dental hygienist for a year :) Good luck to you guys!!

Crystal

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

You should do it! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

I'm hoping they need some hygienists because that's where i'm going! lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

JAY-R in Houston, Texas

64 months ago

we should all get in touch with each other and work on going to australia or new zea together!!

peri searson in Santa Cruz, California

64 months ago

It would be nice to connect with hygienists who live there who could give us some information about job opportunities, etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Yeah, I looked on their NZ dental hygienist assoc. page but did not find much... are y'all both hygienists?

katie RDH in Auckland, New Zealand

64 months ago

Linda in Gatineau, Quebec said: I would like to know how easy it is to work in new Zealand as a dental Hygienist

Hi, I have recently moved from the state of Utah in the USA and am now practicing in New Zealand. If you look on the International Association on DH website, they will give you a break down on the requirements for each country. Basically, Australia requires you to sit an very extensive exam, including scope of practice that you may not have been trained in (i.e. fillings) also, there is a lot more time involved and it costs A LOT of money....and that is why I chose to come to New Zealand. No exams are required, but you must register with the Dental Council of New Zealand. There are specific requirements as well. The DCNZ and the immigration dept. have not yet corresponded with each other very well, so it take a lot of research and planning on your part to determine what type of visa/permit you will qualify for.

Mind you, this all take a lot of TIME and MONEY so PLAN WELL. Do not just come here hoping to find work. I applied w/ the NZDC in DEC. and by the time I started my first day of work it was MAY 1st. I even had a job offer before I came. It may not take that long for everyone, but just make sure you know what you need with visa and dental requirements. Also NZ have separate qualifications for the scope of Anethesia and Radiology. They do not grant it for everyone.

I would say if you plan on staying here for two years or more than it will definitely be worth it. NZ is a wonderful country and there is plenty of opportunities! I work in the city for a very nice office and I love it. ALSO once you have residency, you can transfer over to Australia w/ no problems. You may also want to see if you could work on a holiday visa for a couple of months just to try it out!!

Good Luck!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No Reply - Report abuse

katie RDH in Auckland, New Zealand

64 months ago

Another comment I wanted to add, is make sure that you understand your comparative salary to the US. I currently make HALF of what I used to in Utah, and I am also subject to about 33% percent taxes. For example I was earning $45.00 US in Utah. Here, I'm making $43.00 NZ which is about $27.00 US. 33% tax cut is $20 US. With that NZ comparative, cost of living is also more expensive. In the city (which is more expensive that suburbs) one bedroom, no roomates is about US $192/wk.

I DON'T want to make you guys dis-hearted by any means. My husband and I came over for an overseas experience and for him to study. This has been such a wonderful adventure and we love it here! I just want to make sure that you are well planned and prepared.

Trademe.co.nz is their local "craigslist". You can get a good idea of apts as well as jobs. I found my job by luck through a random website, and then I interviewed over SKYPE. Being American will give you a big advantage.

Also, if you plan to stay for awhile, the Skilled Migrant Visa is more expensive, but if accepted, will give you automatic residency.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rita in Perth, Australia

63 months ago

Hi katie Thanks very much for your information ....
i would like to say to the girls at the moment i live in Australia and study to become a dental hygienest.. There is TONS of work in Perth for us and TONS of work everywhere in AUS .. the pay is great and aussie is really nice....
I intend to move after i finish to nz ... i lived there for a year, the money is not great but its a great place to be!! lovely people and lovely culture...
I couldnt find any jobs adds for hygienest there though.. so i am a bit worried.. i want to move to wellingtom and cant see any market for our proffesion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

jane in Calgary, Alberta

63 months ago

katie RDH in Auckland, New Zealand said: Hi, I have recently moved from the state of Utah in the USA and am now practicing in New Zealand. If you look on the International Association on DH website, they will give you a break down on the requirements for each country. Basically, Australia requires you to sit an very extensive exam, including scope of practice that you may not have been trained in (i.e. fillings) also, there is a lot more time involved and it costs A LOT of money....and that is why I chose to come to New Zealand. No exams are required, but you must register with the Dental Council of New Zealand. There are specific requirements as well. The DCNZ and the immigration dept. have not yet corresponded with each other very well, so it take a lot of research and planning on your part to determine what type of visa/permit you will qualify for.

Mind you, this all take a lot of TIME and MONEY so PLAN WELL. Do not just come here hoping to find work. I applied w/ the NZDC in DEC. and by the time I started my first day of work it was MAY 1st. I even had a job offer before I came. It may not take that long for everyone, but just make sure you know what you need with visa and dental requirements. Also NZ have separate qualifications for the scope of Anethesia and Radiology. They do not grant it for everyone.

I would say if you plan on staying here for two years or more than it will definitely be worth it. NZ is a wonderful country and there is plenty of opportunities! I work in the city for a very nice office and I love it. ALSO once you have residency, you can transfer over to Australia w/ no problems. You may also want to see if you could work on a holiday visa for a couple of months just to try it out!!

Good Luck!!!

Did you use an agency to figure out your requirements or to find a job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jane in Calgary, Alberta

63 months ago

did anyone use an agency to get work in new zealand? before moving there?

mahan in Thiruvananthapuram, India

63 months ago

Its very easy to work as a dental dental Hygienist in New Zea land.
Because they are offering high salary and you can work with experienced doctors. so this job is very easy comparing to other countries. So just go to New Zea land and get this job at more profit there.

FOR NEW ZEA LAND JOB INFORMATION VISIT

[link]
www.cvb.co.nz/[/link]

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

babe123 sasma in maharastra, India

63 months ago

Hey are you want to become a dental hygienist in New Zealand..??
Dont waste your time .Now get ready to have the maximum profitable work from the multi-specialty hospitals. Now now the hospitals are offering hing salaries to the dentists.
To Find the jobs just visit this link

www.cvb.co.nz/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

frances06ht in Gurgaon, India

63 months ago

NewZealand is a country which cannot be compared for its beauty and is now is offerering the best possible jobs in the world with the best salary structure. NewZealand is a place where you will enjoy working the most. You can get a suitable job for yourself in any profession. Everyone would like to work in a country where it is pleasure working. The best place to find a suitable job for you is "www.cvb.co.nz". In this website you will find New Zealand Jobs, NZ Jobs, Auckland Jobs, wellington jobs, IT jobs, accounting jobs , engineering jobs, hamilton jobs, christchurch jobs etc. What are you waiting for? Visit this website and find your dream job in this beautiful dream land which is called NewZealand.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Scott Jackson in Calcutta, India

63 months ago

New Zealand is a beautiful country and working in New Zealand is equally great experience. If you are looking for migration to NZ, and you are looking for jobs in New Zealand, you should visit www.cvb.co.nz where you'll find accurate information about jobs in NZ specially about Auckland jobs, hamilton jobs and Christchurch jobs.
Enumerous job positions vacant in the fields of engineering, management, IT and accounting.
Do check it out today itself.

Anna Michurska in Box Hill, Australia

61 months ago

katie RDH in Auckland, New Zealand said: Hi, I have recently moved from the state of Utah in the USA and am now practicing in New Zealand. If you look on the International Association on DH website, they will give you a break down on the requirements for each country. Basically, Australia requires you to sit an very extensive exam, including scope of practice that you may not have been trained in (i.e. fillings) also, there is a lot more time involved and it costs A LOT of money....and that is why I chose to come to New Zealand. No exams are required, but you must register with the Dental Council of New Zealand. There are specific requirements as well. The DCNZ and the immigration dept. have not yet corresponded with each other very well, so it take a lot of research and planning on your part to determine what type of visa/permit you will qualify for.

Good Luck!!!

hi there I need your help plz answer

Rita in Perth, Australia

61 months ago

Thanks for you answer! I am a DH student in Aistralia at the moment and here you dont have to do fillings you just have to do 1 semester at the clinic if you come from USA or Canada... or anyother country.... there is certain amount of hours you spend in the clinic and get examend on your technique, LA and Radiography included. and thats basically it.it takes about 4 months.
Just was wondering how did you find a job in NZ ? and how much you gettin payed?
I am thinking of moving to wellington but wasnt able to find any jobs there... hhmmm

Thanks

Anna Michurska in Melbourne, Australia

61 months ago

hi there
Im so happy that you answered Im in Australia-Melbourne now already 3years.Im from Poland DH i would like to become DH here and I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO AND HOW TO START...ALL THE PAPER WORK PLZ CAN YOU TELL ME ABOUT?MY EMAIL ADRESS IS ania.michura@gmail.com

Reshma Rai in Kathmandu, Nepal

60 months ago

Iam dental hygienist Working in Nepal.I am interested in work to USA or UK.Can you give me information and scope of dental hygienist in Uk or USA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

exp in Massachusetts

60 months ago

Reshma Rai in Kathmandu, Nepal said: Iam dental hygienist Working in Nepal.I am interested in work to USA or UK.Can you give me information and scope of dental hygienist in Uk or USA.

Hi, In the USA, things are not that good for many in the field now due to the oversaturation in our field from many choosing to become R.D.H.'s. Wages are going down, vying for the position, and not enough employment to go around. I would not recommend the US, rather look into the UK. If you read further on this site the unemployment is across the board = new grads to those of us in this field for 20+yrs. If you want to be unemployed or just a day or two of work here and there then the US is for you. Being real about it....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

peri in Santa Cruz, California

60 months ago

It's very difficult to find work right now. I've been a hygienist for 16 years and have never had a problem finding a job and now it's about 20 applicants for every job opening....it's scary. Possibly you could find work in Alaska. My brother lives there and I'm contemplating moving. Does anyone out there know of some english speaking country or US start that is in need of hygienists?

Scott in Harrisonburg, Virginia

59 months ago

Reshma Rai in Kathmandu, Nepal said: Iam dental hygienist Working in Nepal.I am interested in work to USA or UK.Can you give me information and scope of dental hygienist in Uk or USA.

In the U.S. it all depends on what state you move to. Florida for example is a nightmare, because they don't have reciprocity with any other states, but if you take the northern or southern exam, then you just have to pass the state law test. Virginia currently has a good employment rate, depending on the city, and income is high, but location will determine your cost. So make sure that you study the housing and food cost for where you want to go before you make your move. Just because they are offering $40 an hour doesn't make it a good place to work, because the living expenses may be much higher, and you will be in a higher tax bracket.

Scott in Harrisonburg, Virginia

59 months ago

peri in Santa Cruz, California said: It's very difficult to find work right now. I've been a hygienist for 16 years and have never had a problem finding a job and now it's about 20 applicants for every job opening....it's scary. Possibly you could find work in Alaska. My brother lives there and I'm contemplating moving. Does anyone out there know of some english speaking country or US start that is in need of hygienists?

Take a look in Virginia( our unemployment is about 6% vs. California's 10+%). Pay depends on experience and location.

Heather in Mesa, Arizona

59 months ago

Rita in Perth, Australia said: Thanks for you answer! I am a DH student in Aistralia at the moment and here you dont have to do fillings you just have to do 1 semester at the clinic if you come from USA or Canada... or anyother country.... there is certain amount of hours you spend in the clinic and get examend on your technique, LA and Radiography included. and thats basically it.it takes about 4 months.
Just was wondering how did you find a job in NZ ? and how much you gettin payed?
I am thinking of moving to wellington but wasnt able to find any jobs there... hhmmm

Thanks

Hi Rita, I have a question for you. Are the students from the US that only have to do one semester at the clinic people that have already been dental hygienists in the US? I am about to start DH school here, but a year ago I was a study abroad student in Perth and would be interested in someday returning there if the job prospects were good. Is there anything else you can tell me about the students coming over from the USA?

Rita in Perth, Australia

59 months ago

Hi there.... i am pretty sure that unless you are from New Zealand or Sweden u have to do 1 semester to be able work in Australia.

Sade in Truro, Nova Scotia

58 months ago

Thank you for the information

Sade in Truro, Nova Scotia

58 months ago

Thanks

Linda linda in Aigle, Switzerland

57 months ago

Hi all!
thanks for you relies! since my first post 10 months ago, I have mooved to Switzerland. I had work here for 18 months and decided to come back. My husband and I still dream of New Zealand and it is by doing a search that I found my post again! Thanks again for the information!

Linda

Jessie Wright in Brockton, Massachusetts

52 months ago

Rita in Perth, Australia said: Thanks for you answer! I am a DH student in Aistralia at the moment and here you dont have to do fillings you just have to do 1 semester at the clinic if you come from USA or Canada... or anyother country.... there is certain amount of hours you spend in the clinic and get examend on your technique, LA and Radiography included. and thats basically it.it takes about 4 months.

Thanks

So you were already a hygienist and you just had to take one semester in a school clinic in Australia in order to be licenses there and it included LA and Radiology? If you could give me more information that would be awesome, my email is jessiewright89@gmail.com

Reshma Rai in Kathmandu, Nepal

52 months ago

I am Dental Hygienist.I passed out in kantipur school of dentistry and Dental hospital(Dhapasi,KTM).I am joint BBS also. Iam working in Blue bird International Clinic for 15month . i would like to apply for USA so,What can i do? Please reply me.
thank u

Sh in Lethbridge, Alberta

52 months ago

This looks like the forum I need to be in! I am also planning on moving to Australia in the fall if all goes well but have no idea how to go about anything, I have been given a website and tried to e-mail them but no luck, can someone give me advice on how to start this process?? Thanks a load!!

Rita in Perth, Australia

52 months ago

Jennifer in Albuquerque, New Mexico

52 months ago

Katie in Auckland - are you still out there somewhere? :) I'm thinking of a move to NZ and have studied the process to become licensed. One question I have that you might be able to answer having been through the process is this: are NZ hygienists trained in orthodontic procedures, and/or is this required for licensure there - I noticed that as an area on Scopes of Practice on the self - assessment form. Does one need to have experience in orthodontic procedures in order to have an unrestricted license there? If you or anyone knows - thanks in advance :D

magann in Seattle, Washington

52 months ago

Jennifer in Albuquerque, New Mexico said: Katie in Auckland - are you still out there somewhere? :) I'm thinking of a move to NZ and have studied the process to become licensed. One question I have that you might be able to answer having been through the process is this: are NZ hygienists trained in orthodontic procedures, and/or is this required for licensure there - I noticed that as an area on Scopes of Practice on the self - assessment form. Does one need to have experience in orthodontic procedures in order to have an unrestricted license there? If you or anyone knows - thanks in advance :D

Hi Jennifer!
I am currenlty working on the application for NZ for hygiene. Personally I wouldn't worry too much about the ortho portion just yet. I have very limited experience with ortho and that was taught when i was in hgyiene school 7 years ago.
I don't know what your thoughts are of how about getting Verification on your Hep B and C results... they have listed a few organizations of who they prefer to do lab tests but nothing in my area.
This will be a timely process.
And if Katie of Utah who is working in NZ would love your input.
Thanks Mags.

Violet in Warsaw, Poland

52 months ago

Is anyone going to Melbourne in few months? I'm a dentist and would love to move in there soon thou i know i'll have to start working as a dental hygienist/assistant first and undergo some pretty tough exams to get the proper qualifications..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Violet in Warsaw, Poland

52 months ago

Anna Michurska in Melbourne, Australia said: hi there
Im so happy that you answered Im in Australia-Melbourne now already 3years.Im from Poland DH i would like to become DH here and I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO AND HOW TO START...ALL THE PAPER WORK PLZ CAN YOU TELL ME ABOUT?MY EMAIL ADRESS IS ania.michura@gmail.com

hey could you give me your email address??

Rita in Perth, Australia

52 months ago

what country are u from ? even if ur a dentist you cant work as a hygienist without Australian qualification. and its 3 years study. So your only option is to dental nurse while u do ur exams.
you can contact the Dental Hygiene Association Australia DHAA anyway. or the ADA.

angie in Abergavenny, United Kingdom

51 months ago

qualified 20 years ago on a 1 year hygienist course,retaking lia/id block course,radiog,clinical photog,impressions.whitening,rubber dam,as have been researching working in sydney,au.moving Dec 2010-husbands job.have been told by TAFE books to get and study,but any help re-other courses I could do to help me(am i missing any courses?)or if any one has taken written paper/clinical in Adelaide could tell me how scary it is?job situation?degree courses there,are they favoured?do i stand any chance of working there?feel a bit overwhelmed.Current location-Cornwall in uk.many thanks=angie.

Rita in Tel Aviv, Israel

51 months ago

Job situation is good... lots of work in sydney. around $55 per hour is the usual rate. i am sure the the exams will be in a standart level. not too hard and not too easy. just study what u need and i am sure you will pass.... think of most important espects of dental hygiene and study them well. the current degree in australia of dental hygiene is bachlor in oral health including hygiene and school dental therapy in one. however, australia has lots and lots of just hygienists and what is favoured is usually what the practice needs. usually private practices just need hygienists. you will be fine. dont freak out!

angie woodcock in cornwall, United Kingdom

51 months ago

Rita in Tel Aviv, Israel said: Job situation is good... lots of work in sydney. around $55 per hour is the usual rate. i am sure the the exams will be in a standart level. not too hard and not too easy. just study what u need and i am sure you will pass.... think of most important espects of dental hygiene and study them well. the current degree in australia of dental hygiene is bachlor in oral health including hygiene and school dental therapy in one. however, australia has lots and lots of just hygienists and what is favoured is usually what the practice needs. usually private practices just need hygienists. you will be fine. dont freak out!

thanks so much for the note and reassurance!are you still on oz or back in israel?went to tel aviv a couple of years ago,lovely place and friendly.thanks-angie

Rita in Tel Aviv, Israel

51 months ago

I am still in australia, just on holidays in Israel at the mo. yes indeed lovely lovely place. I am a dental hygiene student, finishing in 6 months. best place to search for work in aussie is through www.seek.com.au plus earlier on i have put the website where u can contact the dental hygiene assosiation regarding exams etc... yee word demand is good. pay is good. all good. :)

51 months ago

Thanks Rita. I am a hygienist here in the states and looking to find a dentist in Aus to sponsor me for full-time work. i do know about seek.com, thanks.
Have a lovely time in Israel.

Janine in Wellington, New Zealand

50 months ago

I am also a dental hygienist, in New Zealand. I am thinking of moving to Perth soon. Do you know if there are enough jobs to go round? And what is the average salary there? Any spots to avoid? Thanks :)

Rita in Perth, Australia

50 months ago

there are jobs in Perth but not a lot.... salary between 35 - 50 p/h depends on experience.

lisa legeckis in London, United Kingdom

50 months ago

hi everyone i have almost finished my hygiene/therapy training and i am thinking of emmergrating to nz with my two boys. would greatly appreciate any info anyone can offer. thankyou and good luck to everyone

angie in Abergavenny, United Kingdom

50 months ago

magann in Seattle, Washington said: Thanks Rita. I am a hygienist here in the states and looking to find a dentist in Aus to sponsor me for full-time work. i do know about seek.com, thanks.
Have a lovely time in Israel.

I have had an email from a locum company in sydney saying that they can sponser me,well worth researching that avenue-but they do take a% of your rate,for a couple of years.also,have a good contact,books to get a nd chapters to study for written exam.radiography and ortho seem to be big.have just ordered basics of orthodontics and have a catalogue for ortho bits.see if you can spend a couple of days in an ortho dept-it has helped me.also in the uk ortho nurses can work here-i have contacted a dental hospital to ask if course notes or reading material can be sent to me.have other ideas too.plan to take written here in dec 2010.

Jennifer in Albuquerque, New Mexico

49 months ago

magann in Seattle, Washington said: Hi Jennifer!
I am currenlty working on the application for NZ for hygiene. Personally I wouldn't worry too much about the ortho portion just yet. I have very limited experience with ortho and that was taught when i was in hgyiene school 7 years ago.
I don't know what your thoughts are of how about getting Verification on your Hep B and C results... they have listed a few organizations of who they prefer to do lab tests but nothing in my area.
This will be a timely process.
And if Katie of Utah who is working in NZ would love your input.
Thanks Mags.

Hi Mags, I am just now seeing your reply, apparently I used an email address for notifications that I hardly check! From Seattle I see - that is where I went to school and moved from to NM :) As far as the Hep B/C verificiation, I thought I would talk with the local lab associated with the hospital and have them help me find the right place for verification. If that fails, then I would go to the closeset university hospital system. If I end up doing this soon I'll let you know how it goes. Doesn't seem that complicated, just time consuming, lots of paperwork, though the Hep B/c and some requirements do seem a bit ambiguous . . .

49 months ago

Hi Jennifer!
No worries!! Yes it is all a bit time consuming and unfort have not done much at the moment as it has been a busy month. I contacted the NZ dental board about the Hep B/C verification and they seem pretty flexible. I went to my local phyicians office and got all the papers which I hope will be good enough. I woman who wrote me was helpful and nice about it.
Did you go to hygiene at Shoreline or Lake Washington Tech?
I am born and raised here but got my training in Ohio. Funny how things work out and where you end up.
Good luck and hope hygiene is keeping you busy. -Maggie :)

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.