Getting Prepared for Dental Hygiene School

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (37)

Luna6887 in Commerce, California

59 months ago

Hey you guys. I will be attending West Coast University in Anaheim hopefully in February. I am the type of person who gets distracted easily now (I didn't before...) I'm a dental assistant now and I graduated from Everest College with Perfect Attendance, Honors, and as Class Salutatorian... but what advice do you guys have to keep my head straight while in school? What can I do to excel?

Thanks! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

gigid in losalamitos, California

59 months ago

i also planing to take the teas test for RDH in West coast, did you pass the test ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

exp in Massachusetts

59 months ago

gigid in losalamitos, California said: i also planing to take the teas test for RDH in West coast, did you pass the test ?

I haven't heard of the "teas test"....Does the college offer other majors....if so, look into them too...Dental Hygiene is having alot of "little to no unemployment" right now and I don't see the benefits or pay staying where it is presently.

water pik in San Clemente, California

59 months ago

Luna6887 in Commerce, California said: Hey you guys. I will be attending West Coast University in Anaheim hopefully in February. I am the type of person who gets distracted easily now (I didn't before...) I'm a dental assistant now and I graduated from Everest College with Perfect Attendance, Honors, and as Class Salutatorian... but what advice do you guys have to keep my head straight while in school? What can I do to excel?

You are going to WCU!! Your embryology, histology prof will be Professor Millar. She was my prof at Cerritos! Also, Debi Gerger ( I believe is the director) is so awesome. Congrats!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

gigid in losalamitos, California said: i also planing to take the teas test for RDH in West coast, did you pass the test ?

yeah, i passed it on my first try. it was easy on some subjects, but science was hard!

59 months ago

water pik in San Clemente, California said: You are going to WCU!! Your embryology, histology prof will be Professor Millar. She was my prof at Cerritos! Also, Debi Gerger ( I believe is the director) is so awesome. Congrats!!!

hey! cool! is Prof Millar's class easy? i'm freaking out!

:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

i just passed the teas test as well,i scored 82 i hope it is good enough to pass. By the way , i see a lot of comments about no employments for RDH. I think it depend on your personality and how you make it . I have been working in dental office for four years and i have seen a lot of RDHs comes for interview, most of them chose not to stay with us because the salary was not as "hish as they want" not because the DDS do not want to hire them. I might be out of date but as i said, as long as what we doing, any career in medical field always has door open for us.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jellebina in Lincoln, California

59 months ago

gigid in losalamitos, California said: i just passed the teas test as well,i scored 82 i hope it is good enough to pass. By the way , i see a lot of comments about no employments for RDH. I think it depend on your personality and how you make it . I have been working in dental office for four years and i have seen a lot of RDHs comes for interview, most of them chose not to stay with us because the salary was not as "hish as they want" not because the DDS do not want to hire them. I might be out of date but as i said, as long as what we doing, any career in medical field always has door open for us.

Your personality is always a plus, however if the job is not paying what it should be then that tells you a lot about the doctor and how much he/she values hygiene. And please don't be fooled! There are many jobs out there, but NOT as many as before. The market IS saturated. DO YOUR HOMEWORK! I graduated last year and there are a lot of people just as qualified as I am putting for the same jobs. On an average I have been told by 5 different offices (when I went in for interviews) "I have received 60 applications!"
It's a great career, but IT IS HARD TO FIND A JOB! There's pros and cons to everything we do in life...working as an asst. or front office is much different than working as an hygienist...GOOD LUCK!

water pik in San Clemente, California

59 months ago

Luna6887 in Commerce, California said: hey! cool! is Prof Millar's class easy? i'm freaking out!

Prof Millar is pretty striaght forward. She teaches community outreach at Cerritos for 2nd year students. My class basically all got A's with her.

59 months ago

dear jellabina, i wish you can find a job soon " when life goes down, just look up " at this economic , most of my friend even the one who just graduate from UCI of chemical engineer still cant find a job for 6 months already . I just think this forum might be a good place to bring the hope up ,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

exp in Massachusetts

59 months ago

gigid in losalamitos, California said: i just passed the teas test as well,i scored 82 i hope it is good enough to pass. By the way , i see a lot of comments about no employments for RDH. I think it depend on your personality and how you make it . I have been working in dental office for four years and i have seen a lot of RDHs comes for interview, most of them chose not to stay with us because the salary was not as "hish as they want" not because the DDS do not want to hire them. I might be out of date but as i said, as long as what we doing, any career in medical field always has door open for us.

Not Dental Hygiene. It seems a waste of $$$$(30-40,000) to become one, with the "questionable" possibility of employment! Not worth it. Spend your hard earned $ on a career that will allow benefits, retirement, etc. If you choose D.H., you'll be in for lower wages than the schools or agencies are telling you, and benefits, and possible? You will be one of many resumes for the Dr.'s to choose from, it he chooses to employ you. Pleae read further on this site, and research this field.....GL

58 months ago

Hon, I temp all around the greater Sacramento Area. I average 3-4 days a week. What I'm trying to say is the dental field has pros and cons, and you have to understand what it is you want in your career. If your looking for health care and benefits or a STRONG association to help you if you boss (dentist) "wrongs" you (from a legal stand point), then hygiene is not the best choice. If you don't mind working (very) hard to find and get into an office that best suits you then hygiene is for you. The hygiene career market has definitely changed. The days of walking out of school and finding a job are over. I love hygiene! BUT, if I knew how hard it would be to find a good quality office, with a business savvy dentist that cared about their hygiene department, I would have been an nurse.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

exp in Massachusetts said: Not Dental Hygiene. It seems a waste of $$$$(30-40,000) to become one, with the "questionable" possibility of employment! Not worth it. Spend your hard earned $ on a career that will allow benefits, retirement, etc. If you choose D.H., you'll be in for lower wages than the schools or agencies are telling you, and benefits, and possible? You will be one of many resumes for the Dr.'s to choose from, it he chooses to employ you. Pleae read further on this site, and research this field.....GL

Amen Sister!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

exp in Massachusetts

58 months ago

jellebina in Lincoln, California said: Amen Sister!

Hi Jellebina, Thanks for the "Amen"! I don't understand WHY????? young people or those thinking of a "career change" keep thinking that "Dental Hygiene" is a good choice? I guess, as I have said in the past "they will find out if they choose this field...that what MANY of us are saying is TRUE". If you wish to just give away your hard earned money on this questionable field send it to me.....don't believe the schools or the articles....NOT TRUE. Think forward, for the time when you will need $$$ for your retirement...Dr.'s are in the "driver's seat", so they can offer: less pay, no ben's (many don't anyway), hours that might be crazy and off....but if you need the work, you'll probably take what's offered....please, rethink this career...oversaturation contiues.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

barbara in Los Angeles, California

58 months ago

Hi my name is Barbara and I have a few questions to ask people who are in the dental hygiene field. I have finished all my prerequisites classes to apply to the dh program in my area which is west la I go for the orientation at the end of this month. But I’m a little worried. See in fall of 07 I quit my job to go back to school fulltime. At the time I felt I was doing the right thing but now two years later a 16,000 dollars in debt from not working I feel like maybe I should have at least kept a part time job. My fear is now that if I get in next year I will have to quit my current job now again to go to dh school fulltime. I do still live at home but I still have a lot of bills that I have to take care of. So if I got in I would have to take out a huge student loan to cover my current expenses for the next two years plus the cost of the program. And now with the little to no employment in dental hygiene right now I’m wondering if I’m making the right choice. If there are any new grad dental hygienist or even the experienced dental hygienist who could give me some feedback on the field right now I would appreciate.

exp in Massachusetts

58 months ago

barbara in Los Angeles, California said: Hi my name is Barbara and I have a few questions to ask people who are in the dental hygiene field. I have finished all my prerequisites classes to apply to the dh program in my area which is west la I go for the orientation at the end of this month. But I’m a little worried. See in fall of 07 I quit my job to go back to school fulltime. At the time I felt I was doing the right thing but now two years later a 16,000 dollars in debt from not working I feel like maybe I should have at least kept a part time job. My fear is now that if I get in next year I will have to quit my current job now again to go to dh school fulltime. I do still live at home but I still have a lot of bills that I have to take care of. So if I got in I would have to take out a huge student loan to cover my current expenses for the next two years plus the cost of the program. And now with the little to no employment in dental hygiene right now I’m wondering if I’m making the right choice. If there are any new grad dental hygienist or even the experienced dental hygienist who could give me some feedback on the field right now I would appreciate.

Hi Barbara, Speaking from the experienced R.D.H.: It is a full-time commitment (M-F). Working even part-time I think is hard to do, due to the workload. Can your pre-req's go toward a Nursing or Radilogy major (A lot usually can: Bio, Chem, Bio-chem....w/labs). In today's economy for the "Thinking of becoming an R.D.H.", it's questionable as to "getting" the job! Many want to become R.D.H.'s, but the reality is, that jobs, ben's, and any possible retirement are very ?'able. I know others say "it's great, don't turn possible great R.D.H.'s away", I just feel that if "I" were thinking of doing this NOW, I would listen to the number of older to new R.D.H.'s saying "where are the jobs?" $30-40,000 dollars for ? employment..Not right now. Please , also think forward 20+yrs., do you need ben's?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Costa Mesa, California

53 months ago

In my case I am pursuing to go to Dental Hygiene school, but it is a backup for me that I am going to use it as a experience in the field to apply for the DDS doctoral program. I've seen dental hygiene's went on and become dentists.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

smile in Calgary, Alberta

53 months ago

exp in Massachusetts said: Hi Barbara, Speaking from the experienced R.D.H.: It is a full-time commitment (M-F). Working even part-time I think is hard to do, due to the workload. Can your pre-req's go toward a Nursing or Radilogy major (A lot usually can: Bio, Chem, Bio-chem....w/labs). In today's economy for the "Thinking of becoming an R.D.H.", it's questionable as to "getting" the job! Many want to become R.D.H.'s, but the reality is, that jobs, ben's, and any possible retirement are very ?'able. I know others say "it's great, don't turn possible great R.D.H.'s away", I just feel that if "I" were thinking of doing this NOW, I would listen to the number of older to new R.D.H.'s saying "where are the jobs?" $30-40,000 dollars for ? employment..Not right now. Please , also think forward 20+yrs., do you need ben's?

I have a question as to how retirement savings are in the States:
1st of all, traditionally, like most small businesses in Canada, in dentistry, there are NO beneifits. The premiums are too high on most plans to make them worthwhile to pay for. If you do pay for them, the coverage isn't very good. The more employees a company has the better the benefit coverage. Most dentists do tend to at least cover their employees for dentistry though. Believe it or not, there are some that don't though.
In Canada we can contribute to retirement savings plans. These are fabulous b/c every $ we contribute reduces our income by that much (within a limit) meaning we don't pay tax on it. The more you are able to contribute, the less tax you pay. You can either pay the fed gov or your retirement. Is there anything like this in the States? People keep talking about retirement on these forums...This is how we do it in Canada. This is why it is better to go into hygiene than assisting. Assisting doesn't pay enough to allow you to put $ away for retirement....NO benefits.

exp in Exeter, New Hampshire

53 months ago

Hi Smile, D.A.'s are MORE likely to find F.T. employment AND ben's...D.H.'s , at least the majority in today's market, need to save on their own...many without: med/dent, CEU's, etc....D.A.'s and O.Mgrs tend to be in the office F.T., thus the Dr. usually will cover them. I am unfortunately in the P.T./fill-in situation at present...many think:" you get paid SO MUCH...not and taxes really cut into savings...I have learned to save some from every check and put it away, even if it isn't getting the interest it should right now....D.H.'s are not in the driver's seat...we are in a precarious work sit. now. And those young people and re-trains continue to not listen to the MANY...not just ME saying :where are the jobs? The pay is what? I've spent all this $ on schooling and can't find work in my profession to pay back loans , am in debt, trying to stay in my field and pay bills...NOT the field of opportunity it once was,....go into a field that offers some retirement benefits for you sanity and old age...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

exp in Exeter, New Hampshire said: Hi Smile, D.A.'s are MORE likely to find F.T. employment AND ben's...D.H.'s , at least the majority in today's market, need to save on their own...many without: med/dent, CEU's, etc....D.A.'s and O.Mgrs tend to be in the office F.T., thus the Dr. usually will cover them. I am unfortunately in the P.T./fill-in situation at present...many think:" you get paid SO MUCH...not and taxes really cut into savings...I have learned to save some from every check and put it away, even if it isn't getting the interest it should right now....D.H.'s are not in the driver's seat...we are in a precarious work sit. now. And those young people and re-trains continue to not listen to the MANY...not just ME saying :where are the jobs? The pay is what? I've spent all this $ on schooling and can't find work in my profession to pay back loans , am in debt, trying to stay in my field and pay bills...NOT the field of opportunity it once was,....go into a field that offers some retirement benefits for you sanity and old age...

Dentistry here in Canada has never really offered benefits. Fulltime work in 1 office is fairly new as well. Most RDHs I know & going back 28 years, have always worked parttime or 4 days a week at the most. They don't want to work b/c children, aches & pains, extra tax, etc. If they worked fulltime, they worked b/n 2 or more offices. I still do. This is not a new concept in Canada. Working fulltime is. In fact, when I graduated from DA, most dentists didn't even have RDHs. I know offices in a city of a million+ that still don't have hygienists. Isn't there any tax-free/credit for savings in the States? Have you checked with the IRS or accountants for tax credits? I know we have a different system but RRSPs are a very good way we protect ourselves b/c of no bens. We obviously should state that Canada & the States have different ideals of paying benefits. Do not compare the 2 countries if considering hyg w/ bens.

53 months ago

Oh yes, we have medicare, meaning most medical care is covered by the gov here. Some provinces may have premiums but not very expensive. I know Rx cost less here as well. If we paid these & say we set up a health spending account, we can use them as a tax credit. (talk to an accountant) Student Loan interest, education tuition,& CE are also tax credits. The more tax credits the less tax we pay. Unfortunately, some bens are taxable as they are considered income so some bens aren't worth having.
Also, what are your recall & perio programs like? We have a very strong program in the 1 of office I'm in. We try to get immuno-compromised ie diabetics, cardiac, HIV, etc back in 3-4 mths. Most come b/c their health is important even if it is just for scaling. We also book their next hyg at the time of their current appt. My 1st opening is in July. In Canada ins generally pay for more units of scaling (our units are 15min) /yr than polish, Fl. Some will pay 12-16 allowing more frequent appts. If a pt has 4+ mm & bleeding pockets, profuse bleeding, mobility, etc (I know you know this) they need to come back more frequently. If a strong recall program was in place, would this get you more hours as you definitely would be generating more income & need more timespots for patients? I work Sats in the other office so I'm pretty fully booked there b/c people love Sat appts.

53 months ago

Also, if you are booking an hr for a patient, bill more than 1 unit. If you only bill 1 unit, then your employer has every right to only allow for very short hyg appts. In Canada, 1 unit is 15 min so in an hr you can do 2-3 units of scaling (30-45 min) 1/2-1 unit pro & a fl. I might be slow but I generally bill out 3 units & sometimes I need more. (perio experience will do that to you). If you are doing more than 1 unit of work, BILL IT OUT. Make yourself an asset to the office. Also keep track of your production so you can arm yourself with that info when asking for a raise or need to find new employment. Dentists like people who bring money into their offices.

Tricia in Santa Ana, California

48 months ago

ok so im a dental assistant, planning to go to WCU to get my BS in dental Hygiene. for those who have taken the program, what were the requirements? and also the pre-requisits? thanks soo much :)

48 months ago

Tricia in Santa Ana, California said: ok so im a dental assistant, planning to go to WCU to get my BS in dental Hygiene. for those who have taken the program, what were the requirements? and also the pre-requisits? thanks soo much :)

Tricia, Have you contacted the school or checked their DH program online...you may find what is needed there? Is the Dr. you work for as a DA willing to hire you after you have your degree and licenses in DH? Speak with "working PT and FT RDH's.....NOW" before you invest in a DH career...I've heard "mixed" work sit's with CA....don't just listen to us , online articles, BLS or Govt. info....although, I feel what you see on here is more of the real sit. many DH's are in...also, if they sound TOO wonderful on here...probably are...not real...MO. Speak with temp ag's too, they might be able to give you info. for the "new" DH's coming into the field....has to do with experience in some states...DH's new to the field on "hold" until they obtain some work....tough field to be in now...GL on your decision...P.S. Do you have benefits as a DA? Many RDH's on their own for these, plus, med/dent/ceu's/ non paid sick and vaca. days....save and invest your money , now, wisely....alot of DH on their own for retirement ben's too.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

mia in Fullerton, California

45 months ago

IF YOU’VE GOT THE SKILLS, WE’VE GOT YOUR JOB! We are seeking a full time/part time experienced, highly motivated hygienist. You must have computer skills but we will train you on our software and digital x-ray. Our office is well established, family based and completely updated with all modern equipment. We offer health insurance, vacation, personal days, holidays, profit sharing and very competitive compensation. We pride ourselves on keeping up with the latest technology. Our Doctor is completely patient focused and staff oriented. Our staff is cohesive and happy. We know that you will enjoy working here.

There are great jobs for dental Hygienist

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

future_rdh in West L.A., California

44 months ago

mia in Fullerton, California said: IF YOU’VE GOT THE SKILLS, WE’VE GOT YOUR JOB! We are seeking a full time/part time experienced, highly motivated hygienist. You must have computer skills but we will train you on our software and digital x-ray. Our office is well established, family based and completely updated with all modern equipment. We offer health insurance, vacation, personal days, holidays, profit sharing and very competitive compensation. We pride ourselves on keeping up with the latest technology. Our Doctor is completely patient focused and staff oriented. Our staff is cohesive and happy. We know that you will enjoy working here.

There are great jobs for dental Hygienist

Mia! This is great to hear. What is the name of your dental office?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

malaysha804 in Richmond, Virginia

44 months ago

Luna6887 in Commerce, California said: Hey you guys. I will be attending West Coast University in Anaheim hopefully in February. I am the type of person who gets distracted easily now (I didn't before...) I'm a dental assistant now and I graduated from Everest College with Perfect Attendance, Honors, and as Class Salutatorian... but what advice do you guys have to keep my head straight while in school? What can I do to excel?

I was tyrna get more info about this profession,,,i wanted to no once i recieved my G.E.D....DO I APPLY TO A 4 YEAR COLLGE OR GO TO DENTAL SCHOOL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

future_rdh in West L.A., California

44 months ago

malaysha804 in Richmond, Virginia said: I was tyrna get more info about this profession,,,i wanted to no once i recieved my G.E.D....DO I APPLY TO A 4 YEAR COLLGE OR GO TO DENTAL SCHOOL

Hello! If you want to become a hygienist, I think it would be best for you to go to community college and get your general education classes. Then transfer to a university that offers a bachelor's degree in dental hygiene. If you have the time and money, try to become a dental assistant first and work while taking the general education classes so you have some dental experience under your belt.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana

44 months ago

malaysha804 in Richmond, Virginia said: I was tyrna get more info about this profession,,,i wanted to no once i recieved my G.E.D....DO I APPLY TO A 4 YEAR COLLGE OR GO TO DENTAL SCHOOL

You have to go to college and graduate with a bachelor's degree then you have to apply to dental school and be accepted.

Jaycie in Boise, Idaho

34 months ago

exp in Massachusetts said: I haven't heard of the "teas test"....Does the college offer other majors....if so, look into them too...Dental Hygiene is having alot of "little to no unemployment" right now and I don't see the benefits or pay staying where it is presently.

Hey, I am a High School senior and am looking into the career of a dental hygienist and every article I read and all the research I have done for about a week for a school paper is saying that dental hygiene is a promising career and is expected to grow enormously. Is it true? I really need some advice, especially from people that have already tried going into this field. Any advice you could give would be great!:) Thanks:)

34 months ago

Hi Jaycie, Online articles saying it is a growing field are LIES. govt/bls: are not people in the Dental field and just write what they are told and have FALSE info. if they are researching by google , etc. sites online...not in the dental field either. Schools...will give you a postive outlook and nice brochure: lies . If you have a relative in the field or become a DA: dental assistant prior to possible going for a DH degree, you may have more insight and will gain experience into what we do....but, DH is oversaturated , because the those thinking I will make alot of money, work when I want...are not in the real world; this will only happen if the Dr.'s chooses you out of alot of resumes that come across their front offices desk ...so if you don't work out, they have plenty more to choose from. This is the reality of DH now and for many years to come. In some states, Dr.'s have actually paid into programs to increase the number of DH's training = our pay as professionals is what they want to pay us. Not all Dr.'s are like this, but , I'd say the majority now are very happy with being in the drivers seat, thinking that RDH's, trained professionals, are overpayed...not now. I wish I could give you a more positve outlook on the DH field, but it is moving backwards. Many don't work FT or recieve benefits , med/dental, sick/vacation days or bonuses. As far as commission, which seems to be more prevalent now, some feel that they can "sell" I call it pushing products to make a decent salary. Many pt's don't want what is not covered by their insurance and in a recession/depression as is now happening, it's precarious to have a lower hourly pay and NEED to push products to have a decent income. I have never asked before the present glut of DH's for an outrageous pay...fair pay and in the loop of what is offered is how I have always gone. As far as the new going into the field thinking the older ones are ret. we have to work as long as we can to re-coup $ loss.

MW in Venice, California

31 months ago

Luna6887 in Commerce, California said: hey! cool! is Prof Millar's class easy? i'm freaking out!

Love Professor M, but if you guys talk a lot, she'll make you do this really annoying clap thing to make you listen to her. G'luck ;)

Dwreck203 in San Diego, California

30 months ago

I just got out of the military, worked as a Expanded Dental Assistant for 8 years. Im 27 y/o and start the DH program in Jan 2012/Feb2012. In the past 8 years, there hasnt been a problem with the gov't hiring DH's. It's FT/PT, and salary pay. Most of the DH's have basic associates degree and many are prior military members, but that doesnt mean civilians cant get hired. It really just depends on your personality and how much you want to get paid. I had a friend who got her DA degree, but because of her personality and people skills she couldnt find a job. This job field DOES pay well, but if you're looking to get rich, you're wrong. The payback you should receive is from the smiles and gratitude you get after giving a patient a cleaning/whitening/sealant/ or any other cosmetic or dental treatment. Im tired of seeing people complain about how expensive WCU is. Regardless Im using my GI Bill to pay for SOME of the cost and I will be using a private loan for the rest. *which I didnt need a co-signer** You have to understand that everyone is looking to have that "HOLLYWOOD" smile. Yes, Dentist are also trying to save money by doing their own hygiene patients, but if you can find a place to be hired you will definitely be rewarded. DH's with a BS instead of an AS will def get hired and dont you think that since you have a higher degree youll also get a higher amount of pay?!? You have to weigh the pros against the cons, which are few. The main problem with hygienist, is the personalities. You cant just think you deserve this and that because of how much money you spent for school. If you cant find a job in a private clinic or office, then look into working for the military or govt. There are jobs available, just change the way you approach your future boss and things will turn out better.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Chiclets in Long Beach, California

28 months ago

Hello I'm selling Dental Hygiene Decks which are effective and convenient way for dental hygiene students to prepare for the National Board Dental Hygiene Examination.They feature easy-to-read questions on the front and supplemental information on the back of the card.The New 2008/2009 Edition of Dental Hygiene Decks consists of approximately 1,580 comprehensive flashcards . Each section is color coded according to the following topics: *Basic Sciences/Anatomic Sciences/ Microbiology / Pathology/Biochemistry / Physiology * Oral Pathology * Pharmacology * Dental Anatomy & Occlusion * Nutrition * Periodontics * Radiology * Community Dentistry * Dental Materials * Instrumentation
Perfect condition, no missing cards, no rips, tears, or writing.
$75 OBO,negotiable.The link below shows how much they go for on amazon.
If interested email me:re3cutie@yahoo.com
www.amazon.com/Dental-Hygiene-Decks/product-reviews/B001H9IHBW/ref=sr_1_1_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Superfluous RDH in Ottawa, Ontario

28 months ago

granolagirl in Airdrie, Alberta said: I cannot believe it! Before I skimmed your e-book I had a bad feeling that you would suggest sending a personal video in to dental offices- even though I had never heard of such a thing before. Amazing. I even told my husband that, with the way things are going I would not be surprised to hear of this level of desperation, and that I could not imagine a world in which nurses had to compete with each other in this way. We are(or WERE) health care providers, not candidates trying to get our feet into an advertizing firm or some sleazy reality show. Seriously hygienists out there, are you willing to sit back and let your professional image stoop to this level??? Dentists will be able to discriminate you based on your gender, weight and age without even going to the effort of calling you in for an interview. What hygienist, nurse, physiotherapist, OT, RT, doctor, pharmacist or ANY direct care healthcare provider should have to get a professional head shot done??? This is NOT an audition for an acting part. Holy cow, what's next?

What's next, you ask? The casting couch?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

truth in tow in Beeville, Texas

28 months ago

Dwreck203 in San Diego, California said: I just got out of the military, worked as a Expanded Dental Assistant for 8 years. Im 27 y/o and start the DH program in Jan 2012/Feb2012. In the past 8 years, there hasnt been a problem with the gov't hiring DH's. It's FT/PT, and salary pay. Most of the DH's have basic associates degree and many are prior military members, but that doesnt mean civilians cant get hired. It really just depends on your personality and how much you want to get paid. I had a friend who got her DA degree, but because of her personality and people skills she couldnt find a job. This job field DOES pay well, but if you're looking to get rich, you're wrong. The payback you should receive is from the smiles and gratitude you get after giving a patient a cleaning/whitening/sealant/ or any other cosmetic or dental treatment. Im tired of seeing people complain about how expensive WCU is. Regardless Im using my GI Bill to pay for SOME of the cost and I will be using a private loan for the rest. *which I didnt need a co-signer** You have to understand that everyone is looking to have that "HOLLYWOOD" smile. Yes, Dentist are also trying to save money by doing their own hygiene patients, but if you can find a place to be hired you will definitely be rewarded. DH's with a BS instead of an AS will def get hired and dont you think that since you have a higher degree youll also get a higher amount of pay?!? You have to weigh the pros against the cons, which are few. The main problem with hygienist, is the personalities. You cant just think you deserve this and that because of how much money you spent for school. If you cant find a job in a private clinic or office, then look into working for the military or govt. There are jobs available, just change the way you approach your future boss and things will turn out better.

Personality is a little of it. Govt prefrence is on your side. You got a lot to learn about the private sector. ;)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

truth in tow in Beeville, Texas

28 months ago

Dwreck203 in San Diego, California said: I just got out of the military, worked as a Expanded Dental Assistant for 8 years. Im 27 y/o and start the DH program in Jan 2012/Feb2012. In the past 8 years, there hasnt been a problem with the gov't hiring DH's. It's FT/PT, and salary pay. Most of the DH's have basic associates degree and many are prior military members, but that doesnt mean civilians cant get hired. It really just depends on your personality and how much you want to get paid. I had a friend who got her DA degree, but because of her personality and people skills she couldnt find a job. This job field DOES pay well, but if you're looking to get rich, you're wrong. The payback you should receive is from the smiles and gratitude you get after giving a patient a cleaning/whitening/sealant/ or any other cosmetic or dental treatment. Im tired of seeing people complain about how expensive WCU is. Regardless Im using my GI Bill to pay for SOME of the cost and I will be using a private loan for the rest. *which I didnt need a co-signer** You have to understand that everyone is looking to have that "HOLLYWOOD" smile. Yes, Dentist are also trying to save money by doing their own hygiene patients, but if you can find a place to be hired you will definitely be rewarded. DH's with a BS instead of an AS will def get hired and dont you think that since you have a higher degree youll also get a higher amount of pay?!? You have to weigh the pros against the cons, which are few. The main problem with hygienist, is the personalities. You cant just think you deserve this and that because of how much money you spent for school. If you cant find a job in a private clinic or office, then look into working for the military or govt. There are jobs available, just change the way you approach your future boss and things will turn out better.

You have no idea of the private sector. Good luck! your educators need your tuition $$$ and yes you have govt preference.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.