Western Career College vs. Sacramento City College

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 126)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Alexandra in Rocklin, California

72 months ago

I am new to the board and have been reading the posts for the past few days. VERY HELPFUL thank you everyone! I am learning so much about the dental hygiene profession. I do have a questions if someone has attended WCC for the dental hygiene program. I was told that you have to take a test in order to be accepted: reading, writing and math. Does anyone know what "math" entales? Are we talking AP Calculus or elementary algebra? Is the test extremely difficult to pass in order to get into the school? Also, the $55 k price is a bit out of my range. Do grants and scholarships cover most of the expense? I already have a student loan and didn't want to add to the inormous balance as it is. Also, I have heard negatives about Sac City's program. Is it that bad? I prefer the school because the cost is extremely affordable compared to WCC. I know that Sac City does not have job placement after graduation. How does one find a hygiene job? Does one keep checking Craigslist or actually go from dental office to dental office to introduce yourself? Does Sac City have a job board of some sort? Any information would be helpful and very much appreciative. Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Angela in Sacramento, California

72 months ago

I am wondering the same thing! Someone please answer!

Annette in Sacramento, California

72 months ago

I am also looking for answers to these questions.

California, Orangevale in Riverbank, California

72 months ago

The tests are low college level. Elementary algebra for math. The reason why WCC is so expensive is because it is not governed, like community colleges are. You can take the re-resiques courses which would take a year to complete BUT in order to qualify you must have DA and taken 30 units of college classes. The expense for one year is 24,000. Just go to a community college for it would be a lot less and even if you went to WCC it does not guarantee you enrollment for the Dental Hygiene Program.

FASA is available for students who qualify and CAL Grant is also helpful. www.FastWeb.com is a great source to apply for scholarships and information center. You would need to talk to the Fanatical Aide over at WCC for more information about scholarships, for they do have information, it is their job! I find it strange that you have to pass all the testing in order to see Fanatical Aide. But, that is why they are a private college.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Susie in Sacramento, California

71 months ago

Does anyone know how much Western Career college charge for a Dental Hygiene program each year? I understand this is a 2-year program?

I have a bachelor's degree in Finance already and have been working in the healthcare field for 10 years as a medical interpreter do you think they will be able to waive any classes for me?

They would not tell me how much the program cost or answer any questions I had over the phone and this makes me think they are hiding something. Please tell me your experiences with this school and program if you have gone throught it already. Thank you so much.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

California, Orangevale in Rancho Cordova, California

71 months ago

They do not do it by yearly, by the whole course causting. it is 54,000. They do it for a reason they want you to come to a seminar that would count as a credit towards the major you are planning to attend plus they like to check out the people and if they are serious because this is not like a regular college where you just go to go you need to want to be ready so it is something to ask yourself, "are you ready?" It is tuff it is 18 months from Tuesday-Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. going and going all day. It is fast pace.

They have this thng for enrollment (pionts) and education, classes and past work experiences, and if you worked in dental big pionts! All is good, nothing is considered a waste.

With them transfering your credits it all depends on the program your wanting to enroll. But, since you are in Finance you might need to consider the outcome that you will have to do all dental credits... They have a program for that which is awsome..but the sucky part is that even if you pass the DA program it dose not garentee of enrollment of the dental hygiene BUT it does offer the college dental staff to know you better than other ramdom people that do apply, but again, they do not judge applications just by that. But the more you know people, you get places and jobs, too.

If any one has more questions, just hit me on this site I will answer any questions. :) Hope this helps you out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

California, Orangevale in Rancho Cordova, California

71 months ago

prerequisites for WWC (Dental Hygiene)

English/Writing & Compisition.

Speech/Oral Communication.

General Psychology.

Introduction to Sociology.

Human Anatomy and Physiology (2 different classes)

Inorganic Chemistry.

Organic Chemistry.

Microboiology.

General Nutrition.

(Have to pass a GPA higher than a 2.75, minimum C grade or higher.)

-They say that dental work experience or other dosen't matter BUT if you worked or externed in any dental office it gets you higher pionts in your application! So, keep that in mind.

You need to have ALL pre-reps completed before they will even LOOK at your application.

They offer the pre-reps, started in March of 2008 BUT in order to register you need to have a DA and have 30 units total of college units. That caust 24,000 to take all pre-reps (IT DOSE NOT MEAN THAT YOU WILL GET IN THE DENTAL HYGIENE PROGRAM) so just go to a community college save yourself time and also money...seriously.

**You also need to be Certification for Basic Life Support and Immunizations** (hep B series and TB)

(always check for TB every six months while working, going to college or even externing and make sure your college has medical insurance covering that, too! You are the student you shouldn't be at risk till you are fully trianed and aware while externing for free, don't make yourself the profit!)

AND

**Observaton form by a RDH** (To know dental procedures of DH, and gain undertsanding.

!!!!!!!You need to attend the seminar to get the packet and forms needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or Charles Lee will send you an e-mail

Application fee is $40.00

You also need to write an essay as well.

They have FASA financial assistance and CAL Grand ect.. but in order to see them you need to pass the "test" which I hear is easy and all but still study because you only have two times to pass or have to wait a year before you can retake it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

California in Turlock, California

68 months ago

You do have to take the "entrance exam" before they will review your application but it is very basic grammar and math and it is timed. Your test score is valid for 1 year, so if you have to reapply if it is more than 1 year from that date you will have to take it again. If you happen not to pass the first time they had said that you can take it 2 times, if you still don't pass I believe you have to wait until the next application time. The seminar is just to give you extra information. Your application has a point breakdown with your GPA being majority of the points, I believe it is worth 75/100 of the points possible, excess science related schooling gives you an extra 10 points (such as a previous bachelor degree in some kind of science, etc), there is also an extra 5 points if you reapply so if you aren't accepted the first time when you apply the next time you have 5 points more than the first time applicants. I believe it was up to an extra 10 points for dental related work experience or RDA. There is no interview although you do end up meeting with them a couple of times during the process. There is also no longer an essay for application, they are not sure if they will bring it back to their application process but as of right now it is not. While the entrance exam is required and you have to get above a certain score it is not part of the point system for acceptance. You are also allowed to have up to 2 in progress classes when you apply. If you had to retake any classes they do make you average the two grades for your application GPA, but they do have a section to explain why you had to retake it and will take it into consideration. Any other questions let me know!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Maynard013 in Sacramento, California

67 months ago

Hey when does the DH program start for WCC? How many students are let in the program??? How many pass the boards? Info much appreciated.

Orangevale in Folsom, California

67 months ago

They start up twice each year Once in January and other in July. Every person that has attend that I know due to their externships get placed in a job before they graduate and WCC has the highest background rate of their students passing the boards. I think to 12-17 students get in the program because they want to keep the groups small.

Orangevale in Citrus Heights, California

65 months ago

For the people asking how many students attend for each program, it is exactly 30.

DavidY in Antelope, California

63 months ago

What's the difference between taking the DA program w/out the prereq if thats possible in WCC and getting all your prereq in a community college? This forum is REALLY helping me get to know how everything works!! Thank you guys!!!

DavidY in Antelope, California

63 months ago

Does anyone know if the certificate that the ROP dental assistant program offers meets teh requirements for WCC's DH prgram or Sac City's DH program? I heard that the ROP dental program doesn't offer a state certificate, just some certificate...?????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

DavidY in Roseville, California

63 months ago

Does anyone know if a Sac City College student has to take separate electives/courses @ Sac City for the DA program in order to get their certificate along with the A.A.S.?

DavidY in Roseville, California

62 months ago

Is there anyone who finished the DH program @ Sac City? I understand that it is extremely cheaper than Western Career becuase it is state governed, but are there any negatives to Sac City since there aren't many people applying for their DH program? Any info is highly appreciated. Many thanks.

jad415 in San Jose, California

62 months ago

Thank you very much for your sharing.
It is so detail and very helpful.

I have a question about "Enterance Exam".
Is there any good resource or book to prepare the exam?

Please give me advice to enter into WCC DH program.

Emily in Stockton, California

62 months ago

Did you pass your high school sat testing? If so you will be fine, if you need to brush up on it just go to your local libary and get a sat book or ask a libarian for a referance study book. It is basic math, english and grammer, from what others have told me that actually graduated from there (WCC) it is very simple, so you know you can take the test twice incase you want a better score or what not.

Hope this helps you out.

-Emily

ashley in Sacramento, California

60 months ago

Sac City accepts 24 students a year. It is a very competitive program with nice facilities and a fabulous staff. I believe the program begins in August. It is significantly less expensive than WCC. I can not speak for the the WCC program, since I don't know much about it, only that it is very expensive and you graduate a few months earlier. I recently graduated from the DH program at SCC and I think I can speak for the entire 2009 class when I say our experience there was a great one. I loved the people, curriculum, and facilities. I left with the feeling that a DH career is going to be wonderful with so many doors and options in the field. I feel very prepared for finding work (they do not place you). I would HIGHLY recommend the SCC DH program to anyone who is interested.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Alexandra in Rocklin, California

60 months ago

Thank you for the information! I have a question about employment... do you think it will be hard to find employment as a hygienist in Placer or Sacramento County? I'm afraid to go through the program and then not be able to find work. Also, does SCC teach you everything you need to know in order to pass all board tests and license? They don't set you up to fail? What does the average hygienist make per hour up here?

Thanks!

betty in Milpitas, California

60 months ago

I've passed the state board for an RDA license but didnt take any DA program . Will WCC accept that over a Da ?

Thanks,

Tami in Reno, Nevada

60 months ago

ashley in Sacramento, California said: Sac City accepts 24 students a year. It is a very competitive program with nice facilities and a fabulous staff. I believe the program begins in August. It is significantly less expensive than WCC. I can not speak for the the WCC program, since I don't know much about it, only that it is very expensive and you graduate a few months earlier. I recently graduated from the DH program at SCC and I think I can speak for the entire 2009 class when I say our experience there was a great one. I loved the people, curriculum, and facilities. I left with the feeling that a DH career is going to be wonderful with so many doors and options in the field. I feel very prepared for finding work (they do not place you). I would HIGHLY recommend the SCC DH program to anyone who is interested.

Hey Ashley in Sacramento - Do you know what the SCC DH program fees are & who can I contact about this application seminar? Also, do you know of any SAFE inexpensive student housing? All I need is a studio apt or even a weekly/monthly motel so I can come home to Reno on the weekends. Any help you could give me would be great! Thanks! Tami, Reno NV

LisaRDH75 in Citrus Heights, California

59 months ago

here4info in Sacramento, California said: Hi all

Can someone tell me about the dental Hygiene Program in sacramento city college..If in any way is it inferior to the WCC?? When both the colleges are offering associate degree , why is such huge difference in their tution fee??..Also when does the DH program start for Sacramento city college? How many students are let in the program??? How many pass the boards?

I will appreciate any help

Thanks

Sac City is way superior to WCC because of the criteria and classes are much more detailed in comparison to WCC. You can also transfer to a four year college after attending Sac City college. But I can tell you that WCC is making a lot of money off of all the poor girls that decide to go there. Add up your tuition plus the interest over time and you will see how expensive it really is.

kmplumb in dublin, California

59 months ago

Hello everyone! I am currently in the DA program at WCC and very interested in going on to hygiene at the San Jose campus, but I have so many questions, my biggest is has anyone compared the program at DVC to WCC for hygiene?? Has anyone come across scholerships for living expenses while going to the hygiene program????

exp in Massachusetts

59 months ago

kmplumb in dublin, California said: Hello everyone! I am currently in the DA program at WCC and very interested in going on to hygiene at the San Jose campus, but I have so many questions, my biggest is has anyone compared the program at DVC to WCC for hygiene?? Has anyone come across scholerships for living expenses while going to the hygiene program????

Please read other threads for the Dental Hygiene field. The job situation for many isn't enough to pay monthly bills, or loans, etc. back to who you borrowed in the first place. I'd recommend seeing what the job situation is in the state you wish to ultimately work in...NOW. A lot of backstabbing for a job, and the Dentists are inundated with many....MANY....resumes. Not a lot of stability, and don't count on ben's (you'll think more about this as you age)...being real about the field. Are there any other science related fields you might be interested in? Nursing? ....or maybe becoming a Dentist (they are in demand, not R.D.H.'s). It's a lot of $$$ for 2-3yr. program with a ?able future ($30-40,000).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

RDH

57 months ago

Alexandra in Rocklin, California said: Thank you for the information! I have a question about employment... do you think it will be hard to find employment as a hygienist in Placer or Sacramento County? I'm afraid to go through the program and then not be able to find work. Also, does SCC teach you everything you need to know in order to pass all board tests and license? They don't set you up to fail? What does the average hygienist make per hour up here?

Thanks!

The job situation is the worst I have ever seen it in the 10 years I have been practicing. RDH's are loosing benefits in jobs they have, but lucky to still have a job. Temps are trying to steel the jobs they are filling in for. Dental offices are getting bombarded with resumes daily and within minutes of posting a job. It is very cut throat for much less than we were getting in salary and benefits just 2 years ago. Hopefully it will change and my recommendation to anyone going to start schooling... don't get into too much debt as it maybe difficult to pay it back, unless you are able to move anywhere. Some areas in southern CA seem to always be posting jobs. Placer, Yuba & Nevada Counties are very dry when it comes to hygiene jobs. Basically, you need to be in the right place at the right time or know the right people. As for your question about SCC, they are the best at preparing you for success in boards and testing, I have heard bad stories about WCC and failure rates and there are offices and temp agencies that won't even take a temp from WCC. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

exp in Massachusetts

57 months ago

RDH said: The job situation is the worst I have ever seen it in the 10 years I have been practicing. RDH's are loosing benefits in jobs they have, but lucky to still have a job. Temps are trying to steel the jobs they are filling in for. Dental offices are getting bombarded with resumes daily and within minutes of posting a job. It is very cut throat for much less than we were getting in salary and benefits just 2 years ago. Hopefully it will change and my recommendation to anyone going to start schooling... don't get into too much debt as it maybe difficult to pay it back, unless you are able to move anywhere. Some areas in southern CA seem to always be posting jobs. Placer, Yuba & Nevada Counties are very dry when it comes to hygiene jobs. Basically, you need to be in the right place at the right time or know the right people. As for your question about SCC, they are the best at preparing you for success in boards and testing, I have heard bad stories about WCC and failure rates and there are offices and temp agencies that won't even take a temp from WCC. Good luck!

Good advice! I hope people listen and follow it; but many will take the view "I am top of my class, this is the only thing I ever wanted to do......etc...", repeat: THE CURRENT SITUATION OF 'OVERSATURATION AND....BACKSTABBING IS PRESENT AND MOST LIKELY TO REMAIN FOR YEARS TO COME...". If you want a career and benefits and a comfortable retirement....look into another field...D.H. jobs are ?able, and the pay IS going down and some have ben's taken away? Do you really want this? We say what we do because we are EXPERIENCING it NOW....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sandra Lake in Sacramento, California

56 months ago

ashley in Sacramento, California said: Sac City accepts 24 students a year. It is a very competitive program with nice facilities and a fabulous staff. I believe the program begins in August. It is significantly less expensive than WCC. I can not speak for the the WCC program, since I don't know much about it, only that it is very expensive and you graduate a few months earlier. I recently graduated from the DH program at SCC and I think I can speak for the entire 2009 class when I say our experience there was a great one. I loved the people, curriculum, and facilities. I left with the feeling that a DH career is going to be wonderful with so many doors and options in the field. I feel very prepared for finding work (they do not place you). I would HIGHLY recommend the SCC DH program to anyone who is interested.

I am a 1997 grad from the SCC DH program, and I highly recomend it over the WCC program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

brown_surplize in Sacramento, California

56 months ago

Exactly how long is the WCC program? IS a DA a requirement (i don't have one). I already have all the pre-req's - will my courseload be easier? Or will I graduate sooner?

Thanks.

Catina in Fair Oaks, California

56 months ago

Susie in Sacramento, California said: Does anyone know how much Western Career college charge for a Dental Hygiene program each year? I understand this is a 2-year program?

I have a bachelor's degree in Finance already and have been working in the healthcare field for 10 years as a medical interpreter do you think they will be able to waive any classes for me?

They would not tell me how much the program cost or answer any questions I had over the phone and this makes me think they are hiding something. Please tell me your experiences with this school and program if you have gone throught it already. Thank you so much.

Last time i checked the program was over $70,000.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

exp in Epping, New Hampshire

56 months ago

Catina in Fair Oaks, California said: Last time i checked the program was over $70,000.

That's insane! All that money for a "?" job when you finish =
Oversaturation, many without ANY kind of ben's....please choose another field....one with ben's and retirement....you'll be happier when you are older and made that choice!

Suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana

56 months ago

Catina in Fair Oaks, California said: Last time i checked the program was over $70,000.

You could get a bachelors for $50K in Indiana. $70K is nuts! You can be an RN for $35K and $15K if you have your pre-reqs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Hey Suzanne, I guess those young people (?), HAVE $ to BURN!!!!! Silly choice, not a forward thinking choice (reitrement ben's.???). I don't know WHY???? people: girls/guys are COTINUING to pursue this field....IT IS 'NOT' A FIELD OF OPPORTUNITY AS IT ONCE WAS...we who have: experience, L.A., Nitrous, Digital X, and Computer skills are ALL in a COMPETITION FOR THE FEW GOOD...GOOD... practices out there HIRING!!! Good luck to ANYONE, looking for a decent practice...but, beware...yes, beware; of the R.D.H. behind you looking to vye for YOUR JOB! It is happening, unfortunately, and not about to stop....watch your back!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Good morning exp! So very true! Too many needing a job and they WILL do whatever to get it. I think by reading so many comments people have given up hope of a "decent or sane" practice and are just trying to stay afloat with their bills ect and hoping not to become a statistic of the unemployed. Comments like "not a career anymore", "just a job", "don't feel called" are heartfelt but yet a clear look at the demise of a once sought after degree. I cannot imagine going through the hard work it took for me to get through the program if I had read these comments or been forwarned of the prospect of no job at the end. People amaze me that they would even consider it a viable option.

I went with my neice and her mom to a college career day in southern IN a couple of weeks ago and they had a hygiene recruiter there. My neice told her she had wanted to be a hygienist for a long time as her aunt was one and she knew how much money I made and that I loved what I did. But she told her she wasn't that foolish at 17 to go into something that thousands who already have the license can't find a job. She told her she gets on the forum with me and sees posts from girls who have never worked that have been looking for 2 years! That woman was literally speechless. I asked her what type of info she had brought concerning jobless claims for unemployed hygienists or statistics of available positions in what cities and she had nothing! Several of the girls walked off and I asked her how she could sleep at night deceiving students to fund her own paycheck? She just looked shocked and I shook my head and walked off. It's the way of the world I guess but we sure are trying to make them aware. :)

burlybird in Roseville, California

56 months ago

My daughter Graduated with a BS in Dental Hygiene from University of the Pacific in Stockton, a great but pricey program. She has been searching diligently for 5 months now and has went to three working interviews that were 40 miles or so from home. She had alot of competition with dentists having 10 or more other candidates for working interviews who had experience. She has not yet found a job and her student loans become payable Dec 2009.
All I can add from a parents prospective is, that all the schools only care about moving people in and out to keep their programs going and their administrators with a nice fat paycheck! They really do not have any resources for job placement nor do I think they care. Its all about the money and their student count! To all out there looking for a job, Good Luck, I have not seen it this bad in my 50 years in this area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

LQQKING in Fort Worth, Texas

56 months ago

burlybird in Roseville, California said: My daughter Graduated with a BS in Dental Hygiene from University of the Pacific in Stockton, a great but pricey program. She has been searching diligently for 5 months now and has went to three working interviews that were 40 miles or so from home. She had alot of competition with dentists having 10 or more other candidates for working interviews who had experience. She has not yet found a job and her student loans become payable Dec 2009.
All I can add from a parents prospective is, that all the schools only care about moving people in and out to keep their programs going and their administrators with a nice fat paycheck! They really do not have any resources for job placement nor do I think they care. Its all about the money and their student count! To all out there looking for a job, Good Luck, I have not seen it this bad in my 50 years in this area.

your daughter can apply for a deferment for her loans... you just need to find the site and either call them ( which is what I did) or download the paper work and send it in...when I called they did everthing right then on the phone...all I had to do was answer questions....

try to google deferment for student loans and find the site....

56 months ago

LQQKING in Fort Worth, Texas said: your daughter can apply for a deferment for her loans... you just need to find the site and either call them ( which is what I did) or download the paper work and send it in...when I called they did everthing right then on the phone...all I had to do was answer questions....

try to google deferment for student loans and find the site....

Our field unfortunately, even with dferment for her loans, does not allow the job opportunities it once did....2-3ys. ago we as professional R.D.H.'s, were FINE, not the case now. I personally, recommend that anyone new to this field should temp. as D.A.'s if unable to obtain GAINFUL, SET HOURS/REGULAR DAYS as an R.D.H.. If, also you are within a "5" yr. period many can use courses taken with a good grade (B), and transfer them into another related field: Nursing, Radiology, etc....it's better than continuing to be unemployed or just here and there.....P.S. PARENTS: SPEAK WITH YOUR KIDS, I KNOW THEY WANT TO MAKE THEIR OWN CHOICE, BUT HELP THEM TO THINK FORWARD TO 20-30YRS. FROM NOW...BENEFITS, RETIREMENT.....TO HAVE A COMFORTABLE OLDER AGE...THIS IS IMPORTANT TO THINK ABOUT NOW! AND TO THE YOUNG PEOPLE THINKING OF DENTAL HYGIENE NOW....NOT NOW....UNLESS YOU WANT TO STRUGGLE...JUST READ THE THREADS...FROM RECENT GRADS IN THIS FIELD...BAD OUTWAYS THE GOOD....

56 months ago

burlybird in Roseville, California said: My daughter Graduated with a BS in Dental Hygiene from University of the Pacific in Stockton, a great but pricey program. She has been searching diligently for 5 months now and has went to three working interviews that were 40 miles or so from home. She had alot of competition with dentists having 10 or more other candidates for working interviews who had experience. She has not yet found a job and her student loans become payable Dec 2009.

That is terrible for her! Especially with a BS! I know both of you are extremely frustrated and disappointed. I think you hit the nail on the head about the schools. As long as they are keeping students enrolled they have a job and that's the bottom line. I hope they are held accountable before much longer. I don't know how they keep getting away with federal grant monies being awarded for funding their programs and people cannot use their degree. The federal money being given by Obama is supposed to be only for "jobs in demand". Students are being exploited and it has to stop.
I would get ahold of the financial aid office at the school your daughter attended. They will have all the information she needs to apply for a deferment. She should have no problem being approved with the recession.

wcc dh student in San Jose, California

56 months ago

Hi ladies! I've read a lot of posts and would like to put in my 2 cents as a gratification for all ur helpful posts.

Let me start by answering some ?s.
-the wcc entrance exam is very basic. i spent weeks preparing for it thinking it was a hard exam but not at all. the math section is basic adding, subtracting, multiplying fractions, etc. I suggest "googling" algebra questions to prep urself. wcc even gives you a packet that helps u w/ the cpat. study it. it's 100% helpful.
-the tuition at wcc is around 50k. financial aide is available or u can also opt for a payment plan like i may have to do.
-they dont require an essay as part of the application (as far as this past accepted class)
-wcc is a 16mo program from w/ a mandatory 2mo of preparing u for the board exam
-they'll tell u a lot more information if u attend their seminar (call wcc)

lastly, i am excited to start the wcc program this coming january but am set back by the predominately negative posts i have read (not necessary on this forum). the way i see it is as, there are ultimately pros and cons to every profession. dental hygienist here in cali. make $50/hr. ive been out of college w/ a bachelors degree in chemistry for 2 yrs now and if i wanted to take up a lab job, it would take me years to get to $50/hr (masters/phd status). what job out there pays $50/hr right after 2 yrs of schooling? please tell me, i would love to know. money isn't everything, but it sure does pay for food & expenses.

rn's get paid around the same as rdh, but they too have their own problems.

i dont know how the work force will be like 2 yrs. i can only cross my fingers and hope for the best. but if you make the doctors that much money, $1500+/day, will they still treat u like crap?

i surely hope you all the best & i hope the economy lets up. Sry for the long essay, i dont post often. God bless =)

Geno in Roseville, California

55 months ago

1 1/2 yrs since grad from FCC dental hygiene program (great program). Working in Rocklin for two different docotrs got very lucky, as they needed a sub right away several months ago and decided to keep me there. One doctor pays daily wage that equals 45 hr, other doctor is so cheap, even tho I have made him $3000 dollar days. Pays 43.75 and wants me to clock out if patients do not show. Not the career I thought it would be. Pays well if you are employeed but extremely difficult to find work right now. Oh and no benefits either.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

burlybird in Roseville, California

55 months ago

Thanks Geno for your comments. Still no permanent work for my daughter, even one day a week she would be very happy with. As I have said before the hygiene schools are doing a dis service to their students by not fully describing the hygiene field, such as the no benefits part, and there are alot of Drs. that want you to work as an independent contractor for about $40.00 an hour and that equals about $26.00 after you deduct all your taxes! Hopefully when the economy gets better there will be more work.

55 months ago

burlybird in Roseville, California said: Thanks Geno for your comments. Still no permanent work for my daughter, even one day a week she would be very happy with. As I have said before the hygiene schools are doing a dis service to their students by not fully describing the hygiene field, such as the no benefits part, and there are alot of Drs. that want you to work as an independent contractor for about $40.00 an hour and that equals about $26.00 after you deduct all your taxes! Hopefully when the economy gets better there will be more work.

I don't think this will happen anytime soon due to : the schools want to keep their programs and their jobs so they'll be happy to take your money, they don't care if you obtain employment...they have your money....many in the field now and still wanting to train as R.D.H.'s ; my personal feeling on this....they are looking at the hourly wage (which is going down in many places), and you can work as much or as little as you want...more like VERY little because of the abundance for the Dr.'s to choose from now! If I were in H.S. or early 20's I would think about "when you are older...do you have ben's of any kind?" Start saving and investing wisely NOW if you choose this field...you'll thank me for putting this thought in your mind for later when you're in your 50's (and those who think the older ones are retiring...NOT right now , due to the recession...we'll work as long as we can!!!.

RDH84 in Sacramento, California

54 months ago

I graduated from the WCC program several years ago. Im very happy with the education I got there. The people that post negative reviews are the ones that did not go there and don't know much about it. The program is more intense but we finish quicker than SCC, 10 months to be exact. In those 10 months you can pay off a good portion of your student loans. I got in the first time I applied, in my class were several students who had been applying to SCC 5+ years. Why wait years to get in, when you can get done faster and pay off those loans. Several people in my class were accepted to other public DH programs but chose WCC because it is faster. I would highly recommend that program. We all graduated and passed the same boards that SCC students do. Why does it matter where you graduated from? We all received the same education!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Kelly in Chico, California

51 months ago

RDH84 in Sacramento, California said: I graduated from the WCC program several years ago. Im very happy with the education I got there. The people that post negative reviews are the ones that did not go there and don't know much about it. The program is more intense but we finish quicker than SCC, 10 months to be exact. In those 10 months you can pay off a good portion of your student loans. I got in the first time I applied, in my class were several students who had been applying to SCC 5+ years. Why wait years to get in, when you can get done faster and pay off those loans. Several people in my class were accepted to other public DH programs but chose WCC because it is faster. I would highly recommend that program. We all graduated and passed the same boards that SCC students do. Why does it matter where you graduated from? We all received the same education!

RDH84, congrats on completing the program and passing boards. Have you found it difficult to find employment? Also, can you tell me about your class schedule. I have contacted WCC to get info but have not gotten a reply yet? How much clinical experience to they give you?

waterbug100 in Nanaimo, British Columbia

51 months ago

Kelly...good question..especially the one about employment. Have you, by the way, read any of the other forums? Just to give yourself as much information about the career you're going into.

It's always good to have the good and the bad, as it's seen by other prospective students. Reality sometimes is tough to accept..but better now than after school is over and there are no jobs to pay back student loans.

eb in Union City, California

48 months ago

This sounds like a Trap to me and I'll tell you why... It is important to note that both Inorganic and Organic Chemistry are by no means easy classes. They are both two semester/quarter sequences and have a strong emphasis on College Algebra. This is very important to consider and TAKE AT A COMMUNITY COLLEGE! Not to mention the Biology, Chemistry, and Math all have pre-req's. This is at a minimum 2 years of Community College probably more like 3 or 4 (Depending on your Math.) I say this because it would be a tragic waste of time and money to enroll and then not be able to pass these classes while spending the amounts of money stated by others in this forum. Hope this Helps and Good Luck!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RDH from WCC San Jose in Los Gatos, California

48 months ago

I graduated a year ago from the WCC DH program at the San Jose campus. I loved it! I truly enjoy that program even though I am 50k in debt right now. I got a job within a month of getting my license. The average pay for an RDH is about $50 an hour here in the south bay. I started out working 2 days a week and now I am doing about 4 to 5 days a week. Being a dental assistant already helped a lot!

Before WCC, I waited 2 years to get into DVC and also De Anza. It takes forever!

I highly recommend the DH program in WCC. They are the nicest and friendliest staff and faculty member. Try contacting them to get more information. The advisor guy for the DH program is very informative but really busy so be patient and keep trying.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

RDH from WCC San Jose in Los Gatos, California

48 months ago

I graduated a year ago from the WCC DH program at the San Jose campus. I loved it! I truly enjoy that program even though I am 50k in debt right now. I got a job within a month of getting my license. The average pay for an RDH is about $50 an hour here in the south bay. I started out working 2 days a week and now I am doing about 4 to 5 days a week. Being a dental assistant already helped a lot!

Before WCC, I waited 2 years to get into DVC and also De Anza. It takes forever!

I highly recommend the DH program in WCC. They are the nicest and friendliest staff and faculty member. Try contacting them to get more information. The advisor guy for the DH program is very informative but really busy so be patient and keep trying.

CMartinez86 in Santa Clara, California

45 months ago

RDH from WCC San Jose in Los Gatos, California said: I graduated a year ago from the WCC DH program at the San Jose campus. I loved it! I truly enjoy that program even though I am 50k in debt right now. I got a job within a month of getting my license. The average pay for an RDH is about $50 an hour here in the south bay. I started out working 2 days a week and now I am doing about 4 to 5 days a week. Being a dental assistant already helped a lot!

Im currently a student at heald college for the DA program I have just an externship left but am unable to complete due to my current 40hr a week job that I cant go part time at for $$ reasons. Im worried about the pre reqs classes will WCC be a good idea for this or should I look into completing them at a JC college?

vr in Folsom, California

45 months ago

Susie in Sacramento, California said: Does anyone know how much Western Career college charge for a Dental Hygiene program each year? I understand this is a 2-year program?

-i had a tour today in carrington college sacramento and its actually 5-6 years to become a dental hygienist. They explained to me that by your 1st year you just get your dental assistant certificate and then you have two steps to go become you become a dh.

Gabby86 in san jose, California

43 months ago

RDH from WCC San Jose in Los Gatos, California said: I graduated a year ago from the WCC DH program at the San Jose campus. I loved it! I truly enjoy that program even though I am 50k in debt right now. I got a job within a month of getting my license. The average pay for an RDH is about $50 an hour here in the south bay. I started out working 2 days a week and now I am doing about 4 to 5 days a week. Being a dental assistant already helped a lot!

Hi I am looking into Carrington DH program I just finished my prerequisites and went to the orientation and I really liked it, the atmosphere in that space felt great, i would really like to ask you more about your experience, do you mind if we exchange emails or something.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.