WREB Anesthesia Exam

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 77)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

ReginaRDH in Georgia

76 months ago

I am getting ready to take the WREB anesthesia exam (written and clinical) in a couple of weeks. Any tips on what to study for the written exam? Any help would be greatly appreciated. The topics lised on the WREB site are somewhat vague.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Louise in Cordova, Tennessee

67 months ago

Regina,
I am guessing you already took this now--I am about to take WREB (we're relocating)and wondering if you had any pointers for me? You are right about them being very vague about what is expected!
-Louise ( kaymloui@yahoo.com )

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Regina in Meridian, Idaho

67 months ago

Yes, I have already taken it...and passed. I only had to take the Anesthesia portion so, I can try to give you some pointers on that part. You definately need to study Malamed for the written portion. All of the topics listed on the website will be on the exam. Definately know your anatomy, injection sites, areas affected by different injections, complications and max dose amounts. Know what to do during common dental emergencies....ie syncope, hyperventilation, allergic reaction, patient fear/painic...Also, there were a few questions that everybody was kind of scratching their heads about, so don't freak out if you get to a question that seems really random.... I prepared by re-reading Malamed and making flashcards of those things which fit into the topics they have listed on the website...I ended up with a couple hundred cards.....but I probably gained the most by just reviewing the text and memorizing dosing information....and contraindications. Practice for the clinical if you have the opportunity. They do show you a short film on the clinical portion prior to you takingit. They are very picky about the three stop points....make sure you announce each stop point and that the window in the syringe is facing out....prepare your syringes ahead of time when you are setting up....so you know where your window is in relation to your needle bevel...so that all you have to do is reach over and pick up your syringe...and you know everything will be in the right position. Loosen your needle caps so you can just slide the needle out of the sheath without touching it. Set up two needes for each injection...just in case you have to re-inject or drop your syringe. I was glad I did....I had to withdraw and switch syringes due to positive aspirations on my IA. Be aware that they will be watching every move you make from the moment you enter the clinic for your clinical portion, to the time you leave....think before you touch things....use your ppe's at all times

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Regina in Meridian, Idaho

67 months ago

When you are done with your injection, IMMEDIATELY secure the needle before you do anything else...slide it back into the sheath and holding the syringe and the needle sheath...secure it. Also...you wil be using a cardboard needle guard...make sure that you do not touch the guard...only the needle sheath...you will automatically fail if you touch the guard when you are re-capping the needle. When you go to dispose of the needle, remove needle with sheath...place entire thing over the opening to the sharps container (unsheathed side of the needle toward opening) and push the needle through the guard so it drops into the container...they will follow and watch you do this too. Visualize your injections....and try to relax... Bring a money order with you just in case you have to re-take the clinical....better safe than sorry
Where are you taking the exam? If it is here in Boise...I could be a patient for you if you need it. :) Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Louise in Cordova, Tennessee

67 months ago

I REALLY appreciate your reply! Thanks for all your pointers. I graduated 11yrs ago and took SRTA at that time hence my apprehension...I was in one of the first classes to be doing anesthesia in our area. So, the Malamed they refer to wasn't even in print yet.
My exam isn't in Boise--wish it was so I could thank you in person!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lena in Vancouver, Washington

65 months ago

I want to Thank Regina for such a thorough comments about the exam. I moved to WA and have taken my anesthesia test twice, failing the written both times. I have been a hygienist for 4 years and never had a problem giving anesthesia. I worked full time doing 2-4 SRPs with anesthesia a day. I studied Malamed really hard, but multiple choice questions make me really confused. I guess I need to study more

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lena in Vancouver, Washington

65 months ago

I am going to take another test in a month and I have a few questions to Louise and Regina, or any other hygienists, who took the test, please answer the following questions if you know the answers. The multiple choice questions make me confused b/c a lot of times all the answers would fit, how to choose the best answer, that's my biggest problem I think. Your help would be very much appreciated!!!!!
1. In which case you would not use a vasoconstrictor?
a. Pt has a HBP
b. Uncontrolled BP
c. Pacemaker
d. Angina

2. Pt has symptoms of verdose, what do you do?
a. give diazepam and monitor vitals
b. monitor vitals and prepare for CPR

3. Pt has a light bluish mark at injection site, what is the cause?
a. injecting too fast
b. tear of the blood vessel

4. In case of an emergency situation what system usually fails in a healthy pt?
a. CV
b. Hepatic
c. CNS
d. Respiratory

5. in which cases you would not use levonodrphin?
a. Trycylic antidepressants
b. cocaine use
c. MAO Inhibitors

6.What is the dose for PSA
a. .9
b. .9-1.8

7. After giving 2 cart of Lido with Epi upon giving an IA for #19 the tooth is still not numb. What is the cause?

8. After seeing the signs of the Bell's palsy, what do yo say to the pt as far as treatment?
a. Apply heat
b. inform the pt that symptoms will last for a few hours and will go away
c. symptoms will last for 12 hours and will go away

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (49) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

chan in Pueblo, Colorado

58 months ago

great questions

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

a_c_smiley in Panama City, Florida

54 months ago

Regina, you rock! Thanks for the awesome advice :-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Star in Seattle, Washington

45 months ago

Has anyone takene the WREB simulated written exam yet? Any pointers on how to go about preparing for this test?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

So Scared for WREB Clinical! in Loma Linda, California

45 months ago

Star in Seattle, Washington said: Has anyone takene the WREB simulated written exam yet? Any pointers on how to go about preparing for this test?

I took the WREB process of care exam a few weeks ago if that is what you are talking about and to be honest I think it would be pretty difficult to actually study for it. If you have just recently gotten through dental hygiene school you just have to trust that you learned enough there to answer these questions...I know that's not the answer you're looking for though! I'm sure you have looked at the tutorial that they provide for it online at wreb.org and also in the back of that information packet they mail to you, but it is kind of set up like a single case study. You randomly get a specific patient and they give you a synopsis of his health history, then you answer some questions based on just the health history. Mine had dementia and multiple sclerosis i think. After health history you move on to the next part of information that you would normally have at this point in an actual appointment (I think radiographs might have been next) They ask things like "What characterizes his level of bone loss? --slight, moderate, or severe?" They didn't ask specific AAP types or specific ASA's. Also something to remember is that there is a reference tab on the side that gives you some helpful information about specific medications/conditions, ASA's, AAP, that type of thing that you can look at at any point in the exam. Oh and don't worry about the intra/extraoral video portion it is very easy besides the couple weird questions they throw in after the E/I was performed like "Was the dialogue to the patient adequate?" eeek! "ummmm yes??" I'm sure you'll do fine. This probably didn't help you much... I'm actually from WA too, but I took DH down here in CA. My clinical exam is in about 2 weeks in AZ and I'm so nervous!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

45 months ago

Oh and they don't tell you if you passed or not until after you take the clinical portion... fun fun...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Star in Tacoma, Washington

45 months ago

thank you for the info, it was helpful. And good luck to you in AZ on your test.

pamela in Gilbert, Arizona

45 months ago

So Scared for WREB Clinical! in Loma Linda, California said: I took the WREB process of care exam a few weeks ago if that is what you are talking about and to be honest I think it would be pretty difficult to actually study for it. If you have just recently gotten through dental hygiene school you just have to trust that you learned enough there to answer these questions...I know that's not the answer you're looking for though! I'm sure you have looked at the tutorial that they provide for it online at wreb.org and also in the back of that information packet they mail to you, but it is kind of set up like a single case study. You randomly get a specific patient and they give you a synopsis of his health history, then you answer some questions based on just the health history. Mine had dementia and multiple sclerosis i think. After health history you move on to the next part of information that you would normally have at this point in an actual appointment (I think radiographs might have been next) They ask things like "What characterizes his level of bone loss? --slight, moderate, or severe?" They didn't ask specific AAP types or specific ASA's. Also something to remember is that there is a reference tab on the side that gives you some helpful information about specific medications/conditions, ASA's, AAP, that type of thing that you can look at at any point in the exam. Oh and don't worry about the intra/extraoral video portion it is very easy besides the couple weird questions they throw in after the E/I was performed like "Was the dialogue to the patient adequate?" eeek! "ummmm yes??" I'm sure you'll do fine. This probably didn't help you much... I'm actually from WA too, but I took DH down here in CA. My clinical exam is in about 2 weeks in AZ and I'm so nervous!

I am taking the WREB clinical in AZ the same time as you and I am taking the process of care exam tomorrow. I graduated 15 years ago, so this makes me nervous! Do you have your patien

45 months ago

Oh good luck! i'm sure you'll be ok. I have a patient that I think will qualify, but he's not sure if he can get work off.... ughhh so I'm still searching in case that falls through. I've heard that WREB is not calibrated well on their calculus detection so I'm nervous. Multiple people have told me that they submitted what they thought were patients with heavy calculus, but were rejected for being too light and their second, lighter patient gets accepted. That kind of thing is scary. I don't want to lose points right off the bat like that.

Elissa in Miami, Florida

45 months ago

Thank you Linda!!! what you said is kinda what I figured!! Yikes!!

LArdh in Fairbanks, Alaska

45 months ago

Thanks for the help! I'm taking this in the next couple months and the process of care exam was a surprise for me (yay another test!?) But thanks for posting about it, it was helpful to know what to be prepared for becuase they give you no clue in the exam packet.
If anyone else has any more info on this or has taken it recently please post, it would be very appreciated. I graduated 2 years ago and everything is a little hazy, I just don't want to be caught off gaurd by anything super specific!

Good luck on your clinical portion!! Did you have to take the anesthesia portion to?

So scared For WREB clinical in Los Angeles, California

45 months ago

LArdh in Fairbanks, Alaska said: Thanks for the help! I'm taking this in the next couple months and the process of care exam was a surprise for me (yay another test!?) But thanks for posting about it, it was helpful to know what to be prepared for becuase they give you no clue in the exam packet.
If anyone else has any more info on this or has taken it recently please post, it would be very appreciated. I graduated 2 years ago and everything is a little hazy, I just don't want to be caught off gaurd by anything super specific!

Good luck on your clinical portion!! Did you have to take the anesthesia portion to?

Yeah I will take the anesthesia exam the day before my clinical one. I'm actually studying for it right now... I got nervous after one of my classmates took it out in Portland last week and didn't pass the written portion. It's kind of ridiculous all the stuff we have to go through to get our license! And we found out a while ago that we have to pass wreb with an 80% in order to get a california license! Sheesh! So technically I could pass wreb, but still not be able to work here in CA. STRESS!

LArdh in Fairbanks, Alaska

45 months ago

I didn't know about the 80% for California, thats ridiculous to be different from the actual WREB requirements. When is your test?

So scared For WREB clinical in Los Angeles, California

45 months ago

I know that's what I thought... My test is march 17 and 18 (anes. And clinical)

QualifiedRDH in Los Angeles, California

45 months ago

Don;t be scared of taking the Wreb clinical; be scared of not finding a job in LA; hopefully you've read my post in the other thread. I'm young, attractive and have 9 yrs of clinical experience-been in LA a year with not more than a 2 day a week job after COMBING the offices (been to over 500 on foot) looking for work. Average rent out here is 1,500 for a 1 bedroom.

exp in Exeter, New Hampshire

45 months ago

So Scared for WREB Clinical! in Loma Linda, California said: Oh my gosh... i am scared of finding a job too, but I have to take one thing at a time! I'll definitely have to be praying that I find something! otherwise I might have to head back to Washington...

Keep your Washington license ACTIVE...as back-up. GL

45 months ago

I'm taking my anesthesia test on thursday in Arizona, but if I don't pass it then I will need someone who has a license in Arizona to administer anesthesia to my patient for scaling the next day. Does anyone know how that works? Are there dentists wandering around there that will be available to give it. I have been trying to find someone in Arizona who can be there for me, but I don't know anyone out there and haven't been able to make any connections there... Any ideas??

45 months ago

What day are you taking your clinical?

45 months ago

Oh, it looks like you are taking it on Friday. What time?

So scared For WREB clinical in Loma Linda, California

45 months ago

pamela in Gilbert, Arizona said: Oh, it looks like you are taking it on Friday. What time?

Let's see...I'm allowed out on the floor at 7:00am so I think I start scaling at 7:30 or 8 I'll have to check that again.

45 months ago

I have my Arizona anesthesia license. I am sure you will pass your anesthesia test, but if you do not, I can help you in a pinch. Can you send me your email address and I will contact you. My clinical is not until Saturday.

45 months ago

pamela in Gilbert, Arizona said: I have my Arizona anesthesia license. I am sure you will pass your anesthesia test, but if you do not, I can help you in a pinch. Can you send me your email address and I will contact you. My clinical is not until Saturday.

oh my goodness really?! That would be great! I'm still going to work on finding someone because there are a couple other girls who are taking their test on Friday too and are in the same situation as me, but that would be really nice to know that if everything falls through I could have a back-up plan... my email address is brinjag@gmail.com. Thank you so much!

RMFvv in Fremont, California

45 months ago

I am taking the anesthesia portion this Thursday in AZ also. I am so scared that I will not be prepared for the written just because it seems pretty vague. The other comments have definitely helped me out...but I am still scared!! I know I will be shaking like a leaf during my injections but I just got to hold it together.
I took the process of care test a month ago and I felt it was easier than I expected. I just finished school a month ago so maybe since it was all fresh in my brain I felt good about it, but who knows. My problem was the time limit! I took way too long on certain areas of the test so I was finishing the test with only a few mins left. The video portion is simple. The only tough thing for me about the case study part was the fact that there can be more than one right answer for each question and I hate having to pick ALL the right answers.

Good luck to everyone taking their exams!

45 months ago

Oh my goodness I felt the same way! I am soooo nervous too. Another girl in my class didn't pass the written so I've been scared about that too. Every time I think about these tests i get sick to my stomach! We'll be ok! we have to! :)

BC_rdh in Portland, Oregon

44 months ago

QualifiedRDH in Los Angeles, California said: Don;t be scared of taking the Wreb clinical; be scared of not finding a job in LA; hopefully you've read my post in the other thread. I'm young, attractive and have 9 yrs of clinical experience-been in LA a year with not more than a 2 day a week job after COMBING the offices (been to over 500 on foot) looking for work. Average rent out here is 1,500 for a 1 bedroom.

I couldn't seem to find your other thread about difficulty finding hygiene jobs in LA. Was just wondering if you have tried any of the dental temp or placement agencies in the area or if any of them have work either? And if you know of many other hygienists with similar difficulties?
I plan on moving down there later this year and am also very nervous about finding steady work in this down economy. Painfully aware of the high cost of living in LA and just looking for any sort of advice you might have to offer. Thanks!

Kathleen in Nampa, Idaho

43 months ago

what is a cardboard needle guard?

Rebeccaf in Berkeley, California

43 months ago

It's a little card with a hole in it that you can place the colored portion of the needle container. It is a helpful thing when recapping.

Leneisha Coleman in Oceanside, California

42 months ago

I had no idea that you had to achieve an 80% or better to be licensed in California!! I just finished school in Illinois and taking the WREB at Loma Linda and I hear they do not supply cavitron units. Do most people handscale, or is there a place where you can rent a cavitron or piezo unit? (I have my own inserts)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

So Done with WREB Clinical! in Loma Linda, California

42 months ago

You know what, we checked and they have been "talking" about making it so that you have to get an 80% or better for CA, but so far it hasn't changed so that's good. There are places you can rent cavitrons I'm just not exactly sure where and if you do rent be sure to try it out before to make sure it works. One of my classmates is having to retake her boards at Loma Linda in June too. We all had to take them out in Arizona which sucked. Good luck! and remember to have someone who is licensed to give your patient anesthesia! (unless you are already)

brokenskeet in Big Pine Key, Florida

42 months ago

I just took wrebs a month ago in Tx. Trust me when I tell you.... Relax!!! its not that bad! they walk you through everything. I brought my cavitron but most of the girls in the class rented one. You have to contact the clinic where the exam is being tken and they will rent one to you. I have been a RDH in FL for the last 6 years. The proess of care exam was what got me beause I dont remember much from shool. I scored a 96% on clinicals and a 77% on the process of care. All that matters is I passed!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

exp in Exeter, New Hampshire

42 months ago

Passing is the key....you know how to do what's needed in practice, but it IS nerve racking with the many tests...Breathe, and read materials that you have like a good book (if possible). GL

nervous in Seattle, Washington

42 months ago

So I failed my written wreb anesthesia exam though I have been licensed for 10 yrs and administering LA in California since 04. Maybe I am not used to test taking? I have never failed an exam and graduated top of my class. What am I doing wrong? Any pointers, especially on the case study questions? I took test B

42 months ago

Lena in Vancouver, Washington said: I want to Thank Regina for such a thorough comments about the exam. I moved to WA and have taken my anesthesia test twice, failing the written both times. I have been a hygienist for 4 years and never had a problem giving anesthesia. I worked full time doing 2-4 SRPs with anesthesia a day. I studied Malamed really hard, but multiple choice questions make me really confused. I guess I need to study more

any pointers for me? I am in the same stinking boat!

Jtrdh in North Pole, Alaska

42 months ago

I just took the WREB in Anchorage last month and I agree the anesthesia written is abnormally difficult. I did Pass but many girls did not pass. I basically memorized Malamed only to discover that the test is actually based on a different text book (that just changed this year I heard) so the book you should be studying out of is by Basset, DiMarco and Naughton titled "Local Anesthesia for Dental Professionals". The girls who had studied from this book said the test was what they expected as comPared to those of us who studied out of Malamed who were more confused at the wording. So hopefully that is helpful to those of you that didn't pass and are going to retake it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Star in Seattle, Washington

42 months ago

nervous in Seattle, Washington said: any pointers for me? I am in the same stinking boat!

drop me an email and I think that I will be able to help you. I just passed the written no problem in March and I can give you some pointers.

skearly@sbcglobal.net

41 months ago

thanks for all your help everyone. can anyone help me with the following:
what considerations should I know about asthmatics? how about generic info on diet pills? any concerns? thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JillC in Visalia, California

41 months ago

I have to retake the anesthesia portion in December since that is the only available date, I studied and now that I go over the questions in my head it didnt seen too difficult but I feel as if some of the questions were really vague. For those who passed what or how did you study, just the Basset book or malamed or both? Also what was the clinical portion like? It seemed like quite a few girls at my testing site had to retake part of it. Thanks for any advice I'm just super frustrated I did very well on my National Boards and just want to be done with all this testing.

Sam

41 months ago

Hi has anyone taken the process of care exam? Does the packet come with a study guide? I've been out of school for quite some time and not sure what to brush up on. Thanx! Email: tookrzy4u@yahoo.com

Linda in Kirkland, Washington

41 months ago

nervous in Seattle, Washington said: thanks for all your help everyone. can anyone help me with the following:
what considerations should I know about asthmatics? how about generic info on diet pills? any concerns? thanks!

Hello Nervous in Seattle & Jill C in Visalia, I just took the WREB Anesthesia Exam in June and passed. Drop me an email, I think I can help. Email: lindabennett@me.com Presently I need to prepare for the Process of Care Exam- I'm very concern and overwhelm. I too have been practicing for over 20+yrs in CA and recently moved to WA. I would greatly appreciate any guidance for any review courses that are available out there. I can not seem to locate any local ones, Seattle area.

Sick of taking tests in Fairbanks, Alaska

41 months ago

Hi peeps who are yet to take the POC exam. I would firstly like to say that it is ridiculous that we have to take this test on top of all the other tests we are required to take. WE PASSED AN ACCREDITED DENTAL HYGIENE PROGRAM!! STOP THE REDUNDANCY!!

That being said (a little venting) I will try to give you all a heads up for your upcoming POC exams. I recently took the exam (last month) and passed with an 86%. I'm sure you've heard it's not hard but it's just really difficult to study for. The packet you will receive in the mail basically will describe the format of the test but doesn't give much in the way of study materials. So this is what I remember:

The first part of the exam consists of several short videos where a hygienist is shown performing an extraoral and intraoral exam. You are suppose to observe and then it asks you if she Palpated or examined certain areas. So be familiar with the name of the different lymph nodes and areas that should be Palpated in an E and I.

The next part is a case study that will be unique to you. Mine was a guy who didn't come in often and had high blood pressure. It lists meds and complaints and so on, so it's good to read through the medical and social histories before you go on to the questions. The questions are pretty straight forward on this part, there are a lot of reference in the back that will cover specifics about the meds and vitals but I would be familiar with the different levels of blood pressure before you get in there to save time because your time goes really fast.

After asking a bunch of questions about the medical and patient history you go on to the next section which o think was the treatment plan section. When you go on to this section I dont think you can go back to the last section. This is where it asks you what recall you would suggest, and reasons for diseases and in what order he should receive treatment and things like that.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sick of taking tests in Fairbanks, Alaska

41 months ago

...continued
The tricky part of this section is that there are several options and you can check as many of the options as you want (example: what would you recommend for the patient-1)fluoride 2)brush more 3) floss more 4) oral hygiene instruction 5) gingivitis education 6) perio disease education etc)

I don't know how you would study for this, it is basically a mixture of everything you learned in hygiene school. If you have practiced before I think it's probably a little easier just because you have more experience treatment planning and processing patient information quickly.

One last tip, hold on to the paper they give you at the end (proof of completion) because one of my friends was told that she never took the exam when she actually did and they paper was able to serve as proof that she took it.

K that's all I remember, good luck! You'll be fine, this is the easiest part.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Linda in Kirkland, Washington

41 months ago

Sick of taking tests in Fairbanks, Alaska said: ...continued
The tricky part of this section is that there are several options and you can check as many of the options as you want (example: what would you recommend for the patient-1)fluoride 2)brush more 3) floss more 4) oral hygiene instruction 5) gingivitis education 6) perio disease education etc)

I don't know how you would study for this, it is basically a mixture of everything you learned in hygiene school. If you have practiced before I think it's probably a little easier just because you have more experience treatment planning and processing patient information quickly.

One last tip, hold on to the paper they give you at the end (proof of completion) because one of my friends was told that she never took the exam when she actually did and they paper was able to serve as proof that she took it.

K that's all I remember, good luck! You'll be fine, this is the easiest part.

Thank you Sick of taking tests in Fairbanks, any feedback is greatly appreciated! Linda

nordoza in Chula Vista, California

41 months ago

JillC in Visalia, California said: I have to retake the anesthesia portion in December since that is the only available date, I studied and now that I go over the questions in my head it didnt seen too difficult but I feel as if some of the questions were really vague. For those who passed what or how did you study, just the Basset book or malamed or both? Also what was the clinical portion like? It seemed like quite a few girls at my testing site had to retake part of it. Thanks for any advice I'm just super frustrated I did very well on my National Boards and just want to be done with all this testing.

Did you try to register for the LA exam at UCS I just registered last night!!! It opened back up yesterday and will close on or before July 5th again!!!

Sam in Oxnard, California

41 months ago

I am registered for the aug wreb at USC. I just recieved my packet. I am so worried bout taking the process of care. Help on that anyone?

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.