Anyone Taking Expanded duties Anesthesia course in Sacramento this May?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (33)

MRDH in Valencia, California

31 months ago

I am enrolled. Is anyone else going?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

pam in Sacramento, California

31 months ago

Hi, what is this course about? can you let me know little more about this anesthsia course. thanks!

Mrdh in Valencia, California

31 months ago

Its for people coming into the state to be licensed.

Brandie Stephenson in Cincinnati, Ohio

30 months ago

I just signed up today. There was one spot left to enroll! I was glad I got in. Any other out of staters? I am trying to get licensed by credential since I have been a hygienist in Ohio for 7+ years. Anyone else concerned about finding patients? Especially for curettage and local. Nitrous should be pretty easy to find someone...

30 months ago

MRDH in Valencia, California said: I am enrolled. Is anyone else going?

Hello. Are you taking the courses this may/June? I have been looking for some message boards to talk to people about it. Are you in Cali already? I am coming from Cincinnati Ohio. Let me know. I'm trying to link up with people that are taking the classes
Brandie

sbee in Escondido, California

30 months ago

I will be there as well. New to california. I will be coming in from San Diego area. Would love to chat more with others who are taking this course. As for finding patients. I think you have to do all three procedures on all three patients. I am going to use hubby and friends who are willing. They say a warm body and if I dont find anyone else prior I will be bringing them :) The hard part is leaving the kids behind for three weekends in a row. But will be worth it when its done...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

sbee in Escondido, California said: I will be there as well. New to california. I will be coming in from San Diego area. Would love to chat more with others who are taking this course. As for finding patients. I think you have to do all three procedures on all three patients. I am going to use hubby and friends who are willing. They say a warm body and if I dont find anyone else prior I will be bringing them :) The hard part is leaving the kids behind for three weekends in a row. But will be worth it when its done...

Hello Sbee,
I will be coming from Cincinnati most likely. It is possible that we may live in Cali come May, we'll see. So, as far as finding patients, they all have to qualify for STC (4-6mm pockets)? I guess I will be flying all my patients out with me. How long have you been a hygienist? Have you purchased the malpractice insurance yet? Would love to chat more!
Brandie

30 months ago

Hi I will be there May 25th! I'm excited. As for patients I am hoping to find people on campus. I think that if the person is breathing they will hopefully pass for the STC. I also think we have to do all three on each patient. We also practice on eachother.

30 months ago

This is the site you need to be licensed by credentials. You need to have worked 750hrs for one year the past 5 yrs.
www.dhcc.ca.gov/applicants/becomelicensed_rdh_lbc.shtml

30 months ago

MRDH in Valencia, California said: This is the site you need to be licensed by credentials. You need to have worked 750hrs for one year the past 5 yrs.
www.dhcc.ca.gov/applicants/becomelicensed_rdh_lbc.shtml

750 hrs for each yr for the past 5 yrs. Sorry it's late.

Taylor in San Antonio, Texas

29 months ago

Hey everyone,
My wife and I (she's the hygienist) are contemplating a move to the Bay Area from San Antonio, TX. Very excited but running into some roadblocks trying to get her license active. My first question is where is everyone taking the expanded duties courses? I have only been able to find one place offering it and it's $3,800 through J Productions www.rdakits.com/.
This can't be the only place in all of California offering these courses, right?
Also, are there any special requirements for the patients?

Thanks for any info.

29 months ago

I believe the only place offering the courses is the J Productions at Sacramento College. I know it is already booked for this May/June (I took the last available spot-they only take 42 students). When I asked, they said they didn't know when the next courses would be. Yes, it's tough to get a license in Cali because of the courses then you have to take boards (unless you have been a hygienist for 5+ hrs then you can get licensed by credential). As far as patients, they say a warm body will do. You have to complete all 3 procedures on each patient (local anesthesia,nitrous oxide and soft tissue curettage) so you have to find people that are willing. Good luck to your and your wife. My husband and I are looking to move to Oakland area this summer hopefully.

Taylor in San Antonio, Texas

29 months ago

Brandie Stephenson in Cincinnati, Ohio said: I believe the only place offering the courses is the J Productions at Sacramento College. I know it is already booked for this May/June (I took the last available spot-they only take 42 students). When I asked, they said they didn't know when the next courses would be. Yes, it's tough to get a license in Cali because of the courses then you have to take boards (unless you have been a hygienist for 5+ hrs then you can get licensed by credential). As far as patients, they say a warm body will do. You have to complete all 3 procedures on each patient (local anesthesia,nitrous oxide and soft tissue curettage) so you have to find people that are willing. Good luck to your and your wife. My husband and I are looking to move to Oakland area this summer hopefully.

Thanks for the info! That clears up a lot. Yea, it does seem to very hard to get licensed out there. I'm hoping we can get the money together to get out there though. Very pretty area. I did read on some random site though(can't remember exactly) that California also offers a 3 year licensure by credentials if you promise to stay in the medical field for 2 years (or something like that). Haven't been able to find any other info to substantiate that though.

Best of luck to you in the class! And good luck with the move.

29 months ago

Yup this is the only place to take it. I posted link above of a check list of everything you need in order to get licensed.
As for patients you need three the last weekend of course June 9&10th I believe. My friend took this course and said it's not too bad getting a pt because its on a campus.However it doesn't make it less stressful.
If you want her to take this class coming I'm not sure there are anymore spots. You have to go to Sacramento three weekends in a row, big PIA I know.

BP

26 months ago

I am planning on taking this class in the fall. I was curious what people thought of the class. Is it difficult? Did everyone pass? I would love a heads up as to what to expect.

26 months ago

We haven't finished yet but it's fabulous. They teach you a great technique. I have a Anesthsia license in ny so we only did infiltrations and nitrous.
They teach you a very comfortable, confident way to block. You will love the class. I know we do!

cbox in buffalo, New York

22 months ago

I was wondering if anyone plans on taking the STC, local and nitrous course this comming may of 2013? I am licensed RDH in NY and was wondering where would you sterilize your instruments if you were to screen for pts out there to see if that pt had 4-6mm to qualify for the STC portion?

22 months ago

Hi!
I took the class this past May. I didn't screen any of my patients. Basically you just need a warm body there with teeth. My patients had 3-4mm pockets. You don't really spend a lot of time on the STC. Mostly on local anesthesia and nitrous. So basically make sure you have 3 patients that will show up for you and you'll be set. Don't stress too much either. Nobody in our class failed. They work with you and want you to pass!
Brandie :)

22 months ago

Brandie Stephenson in Cincinnati, Ohio said: Hi!
I took the class this past May. I didn't screen any of my patients. Basically you just need a warm body there with teeth. My patients had 3-4mm pockets. You don't really spend a lot of time on the STC. Mostly on local anesthesia and nitrous. So basically make sure you have 3 patients that will show up for you and you'll be set. Don't stress too much either. Nobody in our class failed. They work with you and want you to pass!
Brandie :)

Thank you Brandie that helps! My sister lives in Los Angeles, Ca. Maybe I can bribe her and some of her friends to help me out lol. I see that the STC, local anesthesia and nitrous course J Productions offers is $4,400 thats just crazy! I am already certified in local anesthesia and nitrous, I'm hoping I can just take the STC course and save some money :)

22 months ago

Yes I know the cost is ridiculous, but necessary to get licensed. Unfortunately, I'm pretty positive you have to take the entire course regardless of whether you are licensed in local and nitrous. I know a lot if the girls in the class were already licensed but still had to take all 3 parts. Where are you moving to in California? Are you taking the boards or doing license by credential?
Brandie

22 months ago

That won't happen. You have to take the entire class. It's block anesthesia, nitrous. And stc.
It will be fine :)

22 months ago

Oh ok, thanks. I would like to move out to the Los Angeles area where my sister lives and I would have to take the boards.

sandy in San Diego, California

16 months ago

sbee in Escondido, California said: I will be there as well. New to california. I will be coming in from San Diego area. Would love to chat more with others who are taking this course. As for finding patients. I think you have to do all three procedures on all three patients. I am going to use hubby and friends who are willing. They say a warm body and if I dont find anyone else prior I will be bringing them :) The hard part is leaving the kids behind for three weekends in a row. But will be worth it when its done...

Hi!! I am new to California, just moved to San diego for NYC. I am planning to take the anesthesia course in Sacramento. Would love to know about the course and your experience. Thank you.

sandy in San Diego, California

16 months ago

Hi!! I am new to California, just moved to San diego for NYC. I am planning to take the anesthesia course in Sacramento. Would love to know about the course and your experience. Thank you.

16 months ago

sandy in San Diego, California said: Hi!! I am new to California, just moved to San diego for NYC. I am planning to take the anesthesia course in Sacramento. Would love to know about the course and your experience. Thank you.

Hi Sandy,
I took the class last May when I moved from Ohio. I was pretty nervous about the class as I had never done anesthesia before. And of course I was worried about finding my 3 patients that I needed to complete the course. Well, I was rather suprised,it was great and of course I stressed for nothing. We had classroom/lecture then we would have clinic where we would poke each other with needles (definitely my least favorite part of the class lol) they split us up into groups of 6. My group was awesome,everybody was super nice and our instructor was really cool/nice/helpful. They want you to pass so they'll work with you. As far as your 3 patients that you'll need, you have to do soft tissue curettage,nitrous and local anesthesia. Basically you need a willing and able warm body in your chair. All 3 of my patients were fairly healthy,no perio so I just went through the motions of the soft tissue curettage. I just used friends but if you don't have anybody,sometimes you can share patients with another student as long as the patient is willing. Overall it was a great class and I met some really nice people. I love giving shots now! I hope that helps. Let me know if you have anymore questions :)
Brandie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chelsey Yang in Honolulu, Hawaii

3 months ago

Brandie~ thanks for all informations that you provide. May I know if "ONLINE PRIMARY EXAMINATIONS" hard?

3 months ago

Brandie Stephenson in Cincinnati, Ohio said: Hi Sandy,
I took the class last May when I moved from Ohio. I was pretty nervous about the class as I had never done anesthesia before. And of course I was worried about finding my 3 patients that I needed to complete the course. Well, I was rather suprised,it was great and of course I stressed for nothing. We had classroom/lecture then we would have clinic where we would poke each other with needles (definitely my least favorite part of the class lol) they split us up into groups of 6. My group was awesome,everybody was super nice and our instructor was really cool/nice/helpful. They want you to pass so they'll work with you. As far as your 3 patients that you'll need, you have to do soft tissue curettage,nitrous and local anesthesia. Basically you need a willing and able warm body in your chair. All 3 of my patients were fairly healthy,no perio so I just went through the motions of the soft tissue curettage. I just used friends but if you don't have anybody,sometimes you can share patients with another student as long as the patient is willing. Overall it was a great class and I met some really nice people. I love giving shots now! I hope that helps. Let me know if you have anymore questions :)
Brandie

Brandie~ thanks for all informations that you provide. May I know if "ONLINE PRIMARY EXAMINATIONS" hard?

3 months ago

Chelsey Yang in Honolulu, Hawaii said: Brandie~ thanks for all informations that you provide. May I know if "ONLINE PRIMARY EXAMINATIONS" hard?

Hi there,
As I remember, the online exams were not too hard at all. The answers are all there for you,you may just have to refer back to the video. Good luck!
:) brandie

3 months ago

Brandie: Thank you very much. Are you already licensed in Cali?

2 months ago

Brandie Stephenson in Cincinnati, Ohio said: Hi there,
As I remember, the online exams were not too hard at all. The answers are all there for you,you may just have to refer back to the video. Good luck!
:) brandie

Thank you very much.

2 months ago

Did you take the law and ethics written exam? How was it? Do you have any suggestion? Thank you

Abraham in Chino Hills, California

2 months ago

Chelsey Yang in Honolulu, Hawaii said: Did you take the law and ethics written exam? How was it? Do you have any suggestion? Thank you

I took mine half a year ago. About half of the test are laws so if anything you should get theese right and are 'give me' points. The other half are ethical principles: beneficence, maleficence, autonomy, justice, professionalism, competence, etc. Now this is the tricky part. All the answers they give you can work it's just that there's a perfect answer. I actually took the test 3 times and passed on the 4th. I just about memorized the damn test. Don't get scared though, many of my classmates passed the first time. Go with your gut and don't second guess yourself

2 months ago

Thank you for your informations. Congrats!! Finally you passed that exam. I bet you must be tired of it. I bet I will probably take couple times too and the worst part is that i have to fly all the way to mainland from Hawaii to take the exam. What is the pass score?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.