NYU direct admit Dental Hygiene Program

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

JackieS40 in Chicago, Illinois

21 months ago

I am currently a senior in high school and I am planning on pursuing a career in dental hygiene. I have my heart set on attending New York University in the fall for the 4-year dental hygiene program. I have a 3.1 GPA and a composite ACT score of 22. The program only accepts 100 applicants. Realistically, what are my chances of being directly admitted?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

exp in Massachusetts

21 months ago

Have you been reading the situation on the numerous threads on this site? Please read further before going into DH. The job opp's are not easy to find. Benefits???, med/dent/ 401K??? the majority do not receive these. If you truely want to only be in the dental field train as a DA to see what really goes on in the real world and also you will be able to network and speak with RDH's as to their salary, benefits, etc....it's alot of money to pay for any DH program and not find gainful, set employment. What other fields are you interested in? Medical? The schools are not being truthful with applicants esp. in this economy and oversaturation...they have security , benefits , etc. as administrators and instructors....they'll gladly tell you lies and take you money...and when you graduate you are on your own, in a cutthroat, oversatured field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

21 months ago

JackieS40 in Chicago, Illinois said: I am currently a senior in high school and I am planning on pursuing a career in dental hygiene. I have my heart set on attending New York University in the fall for the 4-year dental hygiene program. I have a 3.1 GPA and a composite ACT score of 22. The program only accepts 100 applicants. Realistically, what are my chances of being directly admitted?
No disrespect intended at all toward dental hygienists, but if you can get into NYU IMO you should go for a different program. NYU is a prestigious university. You should try for a program worthy of the NYU name, where the name will truly carry weight.

OMO. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

JackieS40 in Chicago, Illinois

21 months ago

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado said: No disrespect intended at all toward dental hygienists, but if you can get into NYU IMO you should go for a different program. NYU is a prestigious university. You should try for a program worthy of the NYU name, where the name will truly carry weight.

OMO. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

I probably should have stated this in my initial post but I am planning on going to dental school after obtaining a BS in dental hygiene. I want to major in DH in college rather than majoring in biology or chemistry before dental school. I think it is important to major in something that I am actually interested in because I know I will do better and receive good grades. I am well aware that there are barely any full-time jobs in dental hygiene but since I am going to be taking prep classes for the DAT and the science pre-req courses at a community college before I can get accepted into a dental school, I will not be able to have a full-time job anyways. I will just need some income so I can start taking out loans. Isn't this common for hygienists to do before going to dental school? Any personal experience/advice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed Paralegal in Denver, Colorado

21 months ago

JackieS40 in Chicago, Illinois said: I probably should have stated this in my initial post but I am planning on going to dental school after obtaining a BS in dental hygiene.
Oh.

That changes my opinion entirely. In that case, as long as dental hygiene is a major that can gain dental school admission for you, go for it. Again, because NYU is a great brand.

Good luck with your plans,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.