What are typical dietician salaries?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 157)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Host

Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Reply - Report abuse

med in Portland, Maine

56 months ago

Mel in Lebanon, Pennsylvania said: To the comment of nurses feel they can do what a dietitian does, the older nurses can for sure. I am one of those retired nurses who had to do all of that before dietitians came to be. We got the same training and also we did all our respiratory treatments as well.

This is great to hear from an RN. My mom was an RN and never talked about calculating electrolytes for TPN or PPN or doing extensive diabetes ed and coaching.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Nicole in Gainesville, Florida

56 months ago

What are the going salaries right now for a entry level registered dietitian? Where do you all see the field of dietetics going in the next couple of years?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (54) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

aaw214 in Saint Albans, New York

56 months ago

go for the physician asst program-- we study too hard and the salary is pitiful in comparison to other disciplines in the health field. trust me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

janet in Birmingham, Alabama

56 months ago

Karen in Spanish Fork, Utah said: Hi, I have a bachelor degree in dietetics, graduated 15 years ago. I have not done my internship yet, as I have been a stay-at-home mom all these years. I am interested in going back to school to get my RD through the coordinated masters program in dietetics at the university. But after reading all the comments, it seems that the salaries of an RD are not worth all the schooling. Dietitians do not seem to be paid what they are worth. Supply vs demand. Would I be better off going to the nearby private college for 20 months to complete my nursing credentials and become an RN? Aren't nurses paid better? Perhaps because of greater demand vs supply?

first, I as in other posts, I dislike being compared to a pharmacist - they hold a much more delicate balance of a patients life than we do. For the most part RD's can come and go, part-time/full-time. You can be a good RD without being cutting-edge (just avoid the icu) and you can be on the edge of everything new. I personally take less money to walk out of the building and leave it there. Being an RD has been great while raising a family. If you work it right.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

ann-marie in Hornell, New York

55 months ago

does not matter,as long as it will give you the opportunity to become registered and if you want to have your masters. I am an RD, but the salary sucks. My sister is a physical therapist--- salary 97k vs my lousy 60!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Teresa in Seattle, Washington

55 months ago

ann-marie in Hornell, New York said: does not matter,as long as it will give you the opportunity to become registered and if you want to have your masters. I am an RD, but the salary sucks. My sister is a physical therapist--- salary 97k vs my lousy 60!

Is there a benefit to having your masters?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

mari in Modesto, California

55 months ago

I just applied for financial aid to begin my major in nutrition. I am concerned with the responses I'm reading here and am wondering if this is a good idea after all. I have a genuine interest in nutrition, natural health, helping people and practicing an alternative to most mainstream medicine.

I've been a stay at home mom for almost 3 yrs so this is a big step for me. I don't dare lose precious time with my daughter, pursuing something that I will later hate and not be compensated for all my schooling. Does anyone have any advice? thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

ann-marie in Hornell, New York

55 months ago

I strongly suggest you review the salary for your dicipline before wasting your money!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Teresa in Seattle, Washington

55 months ago

Maybe i'm confused but to these salaries are not horrible. Of course with advanced work you will make more. But does anyone have POSITIVE things to say about being a dietitian?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (54) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Vanilla in Houston, Texas

53 months ago

Mel in Lebanon, Pennsylvania said: To the comment of nurses feel they can do what a dietitian does, the older nurses can for sure. I am one of those retired nurses who had to do all of that before dietitians came to be. We got the same training and also we did all our respiratory treatments as well.

SO you can do all the TPN and Clinimix calculation?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

ivan in Union City, California

52 months ago

I think the main reason Americans are having so many health issues nowadays is because majority of people do not pay attention to preventive health care. i like the saying, we become what we eat. people with heart diseases and weight issues. the solution is very simple. more education to create awareness of good eating and exercise, we need more people in fields such as dietetics, who can show people how to eat right. I think with education in dietetics plus education(license) in acupuncture or other alternative medicine will be a good combination.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

teo823 in Kirkland, Washington

51 months ago

I've talked to a few people who have said it does not matter , experience will get you money and better jobs. Though one said if they were to hire someone they would most likely take the one with the masters if all other qualifications were the same.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

curious student in San Francisco, California

51 months ago

i had been really interested in becoming an RD until i read this forum. im only in high school but need to start looking at career paths. this may sound selfish but i do want a career that i have enough money to support not only myself but a family with too. whats another career that has similar duties but pays better and what schooling is needed?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

aawt in Montrose, New York

51 months ago

consisder pharmacist-- starting salary--91K
or Physical or occupational therapist. Starting salary 75K

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Nancy Goetz in Dedham, Massachusetts

51 months ago

Lindsey in Seattle, Washington said: In the three months since you posted this, have you found the answer to your question? I have the same degree and the same question. Any advice you've been given will really help me figure out what I'm going to do. Thanks!!

As you know you cannot get licensed with a bachelor's degree only. You then need to either do an internship or get a masters and I believe there is a practicum or supervised experience, but I am not totally familiar with the Master's requirements. ADA can give you the info. I did an internship many years ago and felt the experience was invaluable. However, that being said, there is now a shortage of internship positions. It is a very serious problem. So there are graduates who cannot get into an internship and then end up not becoming an RD after investing 4 years of college to do so. It is really a shame. So if I were you I would do the masters so you are assured of that not happening. Never thought I would recommend that, but this is the current reality.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Nancy in Boston, Massachusetts

50 months ago

I recommend a Master's because you will need to get one in the future. They are changing the requirements where you will need a Masters in 5 years of starting to work, but I don't know the date offhand. You can contact ADA in Chicago to find out. Personally I don't believe that someone with no work experience is ready as you have no experience to draw from or to know what direction to take. It's just all theoretical without working. Even an internship does not give you enough experience, especially the way they have shortened some of them. But many do it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

emily in College Station, Texas

49 months ago

It does not matter whether you have a master's degree or not..in order to become a licensed registered dietitian, you need to complete an ADA approved dietetic internship. i am currently going through my rotations and whoever said it was invaluable is crazy. you spend between 6 months to a year (depending on the program) rotating between foodservice, clinical, and community nutrition sites and hospitals. after you complete the internship you can sit to take the RD exam. Without the internship, you can not take the exam and can only obtain jobs as a nutritionist (which are rare to come by) or a foodservice employee. You can find available ADA internships on the website. the whole process is rather difficult but definitely worth it in the end. As someone has already previously stated, internships are hard to obtain. This year, 4,600 students applied, and only 2,000 positions were available. Get as much experience and "resume building" done as you can: volunteer hours, foodservice job, etc. Hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Kristina in Houston, Texas

49 months ago

Thank you. Your comment is extremely helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

JD in Plano, Texas

46 months ago

It's a shame that so many comments were so negative. Why would you all stay in a career that you weren't happy in? Also I'm confused on why you would be giving advice to people to go into other careers when you are not even in that particular field..ie "get into physical therapy, become a pharmacist...." BTW....the grass is not always greener.

I'm not a dietitian but am strongly looking into getting into the field....I'm STILL interested even after all the negative comments but I really hope all the other comments don't steer people away. Stay true to yourself and if this is something you really want to do than go for it :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (77) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

a career on it's way out in Seattle, Washington

46 months ago

Nancy in Boston, Massachusetts said: I work in community nutrition as a dietitian for a nonprofit and the pay is terrible, so the diet tech is probably terrible as well. It is part-time and I make less than $25/hour after 4 years there and have no benefits. This is comparable to other like agencies. Our diet tech is full time. I have a Master's degree, but it does not matter in the compensation I don't think. I do like the work though.

I was a Diet Tech for over ten years & I would never recommend it to anyone. I enjoyed the work, but it is not a positon that has very little support from RD's or other members of a healthcare multidisciplinary team (mostly because they don't know what a Diet Tech is or does). I worked very, very hard and for the most part did the job of the RD's I worked with. That was a good thing because if I wouldn't have done the job no one would have. Acquiring my degee required an extensive amount of work including the same amount and types of preceptorships and clinical work RD's do. It is a job that deserve respect but gets very little.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

nrd10124 in Manhattan Beach, California

44 months ago

Thank you Jenn in Antelope Valley and JD in Plano!

I have just started back to school after 20 years. I got my BS in Marketing (20 years ago). I started back this year at a community college doing prerequisites to enter a Didactic or Coordinated Masters program in Dietetics. I like many others on this post am curious about the financial advantages or disadvantages of pursuing this degree. I have three children, 16, 14, and 4 years of age, so the time, commitment and money I invest in my education at this point in my life has to balance out the time, and money not going into my household for the years I am in graduate school.

The post here have mostly been negative and I is good to hear some positive feedback about a career in dietetics. Since being in school and meeting people pursuing different career paths, I have wondered about the value of investment in the path I am choosing considering my personal life circumstances. Nursing or physical or occupational therapy would be my other options. I have some time to decide, still another year or so of prerequisites, but any other balanced insights would be helpful...Thank You!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Tanya in Chula Vista, California

44 months ago

Just a heads up to people being disheartened by the negative comments on here. First of all, people are more apt to complain about a negative experiences than a positive one. Secondly, any occupation on this forum seems to have a myriad of complaints and feelings of not being "appreciated for their worth"...so try to stay positive. This isn't the most flattering forum for any degree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

aaw214 in Montrose, New York

44 months ago

Take it from me-- 42 yrs old in the business for over 18 yrs. Salary below what my counter parts in nursing and rehab is making-- even out of college-- choose another field if $$$$ is important to you. My neice-- I suggested to her do pharmacy-- she graduated last yr-- starting salary 93K and she is only 24!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

a career on it's way out in Seattle, Washington

44 months ago

aaw214 in Montrose, New York said: Take it from me-- 42 yrs old in the business for over 18 yrs. Salary below what my counter parts in nursing and rehab is making-- even out of college-- choose another field if $$$$ is important to you. My neice-- I suggested to her do pharmacy-- she graduated last yr-- starting salary 93K and she is only 24!

My experience working in several different health care fields has been that nutrition or medical nutrition therapy really isn't as important as other disciplines. It should be, I think good nutrition is the foundation for good health. Unfortunately, other disciplines don't see it that way. It's not a profession that is taken as seriously, at least in my experience.
My sister got an Associates Degree in Respitory Therapy, the same kind of degree I got as a Diet Tech & made four times as much as I ever did & has job security. A Diet Tech job cannot be found where I live. I am not trying to be negative, I do think at this time people should look carefully into any profession. If you invest the money, time and energy wouldn't it be nice to work at a profession where you can not only get a job but one that will actually pay you your worth...and maybe even get your bills paid?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

frustrated dietitian in Jacksonville, Florida

43 months ago

I have been a dietitian for 20 years. I love my profession. However, this summer I will be starting an accelerated (1yr)bachelor's degree program in nursing. What drove me out of the profession;low pay, lack of respect from other healthcare professionals, little job security and low demand for our services.My plan is to combine my knowledge of nutrition combined with my new skills as a nurse to earn enough to support my family.I am earning $20/hr, the nurses around me with only an asssociates degree earn a lot more and I am required to have a minimum of 5 years of training. Unfortunately, too many duties that should be the sole province of the dietitian have been outsourced to nurses and other healthcare professionals.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

seminole in Fuquay Varina, North Carolina

42 months ago

Same training - doubt that. I don't know any nurses - young or old - that took metabolism courses, nutrition and disease. I don't know any that could tell you how many kcal a person needs, or what rate the TPN should be running at.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

a bennett mS RD in Pleasantville, New Jersey

42 months ago

Nurses do not have the knowledge of the digestive tract and diseases the RD has studied. There are specific functions of Protein carbohydrate and fat not sudied in depth by a nurse curriculum. The energy cycle requires specific vitamins to function in sync. Wound healing is specific to nutrients. Enteral feeding and TPN are both involved and I would not want a nurse making those decisions
if a family member required this nutrition support. The flow is so important as well as product.
Why do you think there is a degree in Foods and Nutrition??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Mike P in Worthing, United Kingdom

40 months ago

Hello guys, I'm currently studying Nutrition in London, in the hope of continuing with a masters in nutrition and dietetics. For anyone that's interested the wage for someone who is considered an expert (7-10 year's experience) you will be looking at getting paid £33+ Or $55P/H. After gaining my qualification I hope to move to America and settle down with my girlfriend... I was wondering however if there are any different rules and regulation's that are in place in America as they are here, For example to even apply for work as a Dietitian you need at least a years unpaid experience, or "placement" as we call it I believe it may also be known as an "internship...?" over there? Anywho, with a years experience because of the demand even then it is difficult to find a place willing to take you on... I was wondering whether it were the same in the U.S? If anyone knows and could let me know tha'd be pretty cool.

Many thanks,
Mike. x

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Shannon in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

40 months ago

Here in WI I started at $17.50, now up to $20, but I also have a PRN job at $22 plus I do private consulting and restaurant certification to provide gluten-free food service. I gave up almost a full scholarship to one college and decided to switch to a school that had dietetics in the area; the only one was a private school that I still owe $86,000. I started the graduate degree until I learned that it wouldn't get me any more money, and at this point I had to choose between bankruptcy or go to a credit debt agent to lower my interest so I can make more than the minimum payments. I LOVE what I do, I'd say really go into if your heart is in it. Mine was, and I had no clue how much RDs made while I was in school. Sometimes I wish I did something else just because I hate the financial mess I'm in, but I know I wouldn't be happy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Aspiring dietitian in Nashotah, Wisconsin

40 months ago

Shannon in Milwaukee, Wisconsin said: Here in WI I started at $17.50, now up to $20, but I also have a PRN job at $22 plus I do private consulting and restaurant certification to provide gluten-free food service. I gave up almost a full scholarship to one college and decided to switch to a school that had dietetics in the area; the only one was a private school that I still owe $86,000. I started the graduate degree until I learned that it wouldn't get me any more money, and at this point I had to choose between bankruptcy or go to a credit debt agent to lower my interest so I can make more than the minimum payments. I LOVE what I do, I'd say really go into if your heart is in it. Mine was, and I had no clue how much RDs made while I was in school. Sometimes I wish I did something else just because I hate the financial mess I'm in, but I know I wouldn't be happy.

Did you by any chance go to Mount Mary College in Milwaukee?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Shannon in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

40 months ago

Aspiring dietitian in Nashotah, Wisconsin said: Did you by any chance go to Mount Mary College in Milwaukee?

Yes, I did.:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

39 months ago

go to pharmacy school-- starting salary is 91K, an RD would need 20 years to make that-- plus it would be more feasible!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

JB in Miami, Florida

38 months ago

Most schools let you defer your entrance. Find out and do your DI, get your license and start Pharm school next year. Seems like a lot but you worked hard for both, I say whats 10 months of the DI? Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DianaPol in Brooklyn, New York

38 months ago

Thank you so much for your reply ! Well, I have already accepted the Pharmacy's school offer. Right now, I feel bad that I never really asked them about a possibility of deferment. I was a little uneasy to do this because technically I had gotten accepted into the pharmacy program after been put off in the reserve pool, then on their waiting list, and finally, only in August, they sent me an acceptance letter. I suppose someone just gave up their seat.There is no info about the possibility to defer your acceptance on the pharmacy school website, yet there is some info on the school's sister school ( which is located in CA). They said that they may give the deferment to some student, but they have to consider your case separately. I suppose that in my case I would be a somewhat unsuitable candidate for this deferment,since I was accepted only in the end. What do you think?....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

38 months ago

you did the SUPER BEST THING OF GOING to PHARMACY school. If I had my life to do over, that is exactly what I would have done. All yhe very best to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

RD in Tulsa, Oklahoma

38 months ago

DianaPol in Brooklyn, New York said: Thank you so much for your reply ! Well, I have already accepted the Pharmacy's school offer. Right now, I feel bad that I never really asked them about a possibility of deferment. I was a little uneasy to do this because technically I had gotten accepted into the pharmacy program after been put off in the reserve pool, then on their waiting list, and finally, only in August, they sent me an acceptance letter. I suppose someone just gave up their seat.There is no info about the possibility to defer your acceptance on the pharmacy school website, yet there is some info on the school's sister school ( which is located in CA). They said that they may give the deferment to some student, but they have to consider your case separately. I suppose that in my case I would be a somewhat unsuitable candidate for this deferment,since I was accepted only in the end. What do you think?....

I am a dietitian and my father is a pharmacist. I would definitely choose pharmacy, especially if you were already interested in it. I worked in NYC as a dietitian and started at ~53k/yr in the city. I did enjoy the work though. I think I would have also enjoyed being a pharmacist as well. You could always do the DI later if you really want to. Pharmacy is a great career with a lot of opportunities. Hmmm, you're getting me thinking about going to pharmacy school...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

candymoon in New York, New York

38 months ago

I am studying dietetics at lehman college, New York City. I need a very high GPA to be able to take the ADA test. I love the major and I know that if anything, I like the health care field. But I am thinking that I should do my best, maybe get the RD but go to school after I am done for Physical Therapy.

ADVICE ANYONE PLEASE.. I cant transfer to another school-did that alot already.

susan in Auckland, New Zealand

36 months ago

aawt in Montrose, New York said: consisder pharmacist-- starting salary--91K
or Physical or occupational therapist. Starting salary 75K

Yeap but with a pharmacist you can literally kill someone unlike a dietitian. If a pharmacist gives the wrong drug, dose, dispenses a prescription that a doctor wrote wrong, or gives incorrect medication information to a patient or doctor then someone will die, so pharmacists have to always triple check there work constantly, its draining and you take your work with you when you go home. Also as a pharmacist its really difficult because you can always see ways to help improve the patients heath, or avoid intractions, give better suited treatments for the patient but its all in the hands of the docotrs who may or may not listen to you and its really frustating. I work as a retail pharmacist and im thinking of changing to becoming a dietitian because of the stress, people treat pharmacies like fast food restaurants and expect there prescriptions to be done in 5 minutes (even when the doctor has made a huge error and you have to ring them to correct it), you spend 8-12 hours a day non-stop on your feet with no breaks, theres not career advancement and theres currently an over supply of pharmacists. As a dietitian you make a change in someones life but the chances your going to kill them are very little yet you still get to help make an impact on the patients, you have specialised knowledge, you get to sit down (which is a must for me now) and have lunch breaks. In my country dietitians can even prescribe supplements and special foods to patients with diabetes, wheat or lactose intolerances etc. So you can see that the grass isn't always greener and people in every career will not neccassarly enjoy what they do. Also a career is what you make of it so if you enjoy being a dietitian try your hardest to be the best you can be and don't settle for low pay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

susan in Auckland, New Zealand

36 months ago

I also just want to say sorry for my spelling, i should have done a quick spell check before i posted!! Also last thing i want to point out is that in New zealand, community pharmacists get paid between $50,000 to $80,000 a year and a community based dietitian (not private) gets paid between $40,000 to $90,000 so if you were living in new zealand you would start off at a lower wage but after a few years you might get paid more than a pharmacist (and you get to sit down during your working hours):) and thats probably due to a dietitian having many more career advancement opportunities then a pharmacist (well in new zealand anyway). I don't know if thats the case in america. If someone hates their job, they should complain about it for a little while but then go do something else, im an example of that. Complaining and hating your job won't get you anyway and it will certainly not do much for your job or your profession. Also there are soo many pharmacists changing jobs, i know many that are now lawyers, doctors, chiroprationers instead so do what you think suits you but don't just jump in thinking that the grass will be greener because it may not always be the case. Go talk to people in your prefered career and get a feel because i didn't do that when i applied for pharmacy and thats why i think i made the wrong carer choice. Sorry for this essay i've written guys :P

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

aaw214 in Oxford, New York

36 months ago

Are you serious-- that's why choosing pharmacy/or rehab wouyld not be oondiucive! Dietitians are now in the legal eye of fire--- if some-one is dehydrated, given the wrong feeding, ulcers not treated immediately, we can also be sued. Please follow articles in Dietitian today ect., to know what leagal issues can take place with an RD who lacks good clinical judgement. Any job in itself can cause harm if not practice efficiently and appropriately!
RD's work is not a free ride, there are ramifications when a job is not well done.... and I stand by my thoughts-- if I could do this all over again in regards to salary I would be a pharmacist/rehab!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Kelsey in Fort Worth, Texas

36 months ago

I doubt you received the same training because dietetics is a fairly new field (early to mid 1900s) and nutrition recommmendations and practices change so frequently.
-Clinical RD in TX

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kelsey in Fort Worth, Texas

36 months ago

Teresa in Seattle, Washington said: Maybe i'm confused but to these salaries are not horrible. Of course with advanced work you will make more. But does anyone have POSITIVE things to say about being a dietitian?

Hi Teresa,
I have read that West Coast RDs are the best paid. That may be why you're so optimistic? I'm a clinical RD in Texas and make $20/hr, only $3 more per hour than our lead cook (not food service manager)! She has a high school diploma as her highest level of education. I was a PRN clinical RD in Arizona and made $18.50/hr.

NutritionWorks in Canby, Oregon

36 months ago

I am sorry to see so many negative posts in this forum. I am 50 years old and have been in the clinical field for 20 years. I would say that I like my job 90% of the time. My pay started out at $18.00 an hour and I now make about $32.oo/hour. I work part-time so have very flexible hours which I really like. I get good benefits; retirement, med/den/vision. I decided against getting my master's as it wouldn't increase my pay, but I would now if I was just starting out. I love the people I work with and I have a lot of variability with my job; best of all, I have a great group to work with. I am one happy dietitian who is ready to take the next step in my career; international mission work!:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No Reply - Report abuse

Shannnon Longhurst in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

36 months ago

Hi,

I was involved in this conversation a while back and still get the e-mails. I am one of the crazy transfer students (on almost a full scholarship and transferred to a school who gives out nothing) who pay half of my income in student debt, where the majority of which is in parent PLUS loans; nothing can be done about it. I have called local radio shows and even wrote the president to extend the student loan debt help to include parent plus loans. I LOVE being a dietitian. I work one full-time job, have four part-time jobs, and hopefully will soon have a fifth after confirmation from my latest interview. I am going through a divorce and the reality of how little my passion pays is hitting me. I do not qualify for food stamps because I make too much, but luckily a local food pantry will consider what I am paying in student loans. A job that literally saves lives is not taken seriously ... it makes me sick! I make as much money after student loans as i did scooping up food in my food service positions, only I don't get the benefit of qualifying for food stamps. Something is seriously wrong here......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Shannnon Longhurst in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

36 months ago

Aspiring dietitian in Nashotah, Wisconsin said: Did you by any chance go to Mount Mary College in Milwaukee?

YES!!! I signed up again with my latest response (sorry, 11/1/11). I had a 4.0 in HS, had for one yr at another college 3.89. They gave me $500 for non-traditional student per year, I am soooo stuck with this. Now that I am going through a divorce, I will give up going through the DMP to filing for bankruptcy, even though that won't even touch student loans. The worst part is those jerks keep sending me requests for money, even though I explain that I am a dietitian going to FOOD PANTRIES I HAVE TO REFER CLIENTS TO!! If you love dietetics, I do not discourage it; just watch which type of loans you have. I was in a bad situation in that I supported myself by working full-time, but the stupid Stafford system looks at what your parents make even if you are not dependent on them. I didn't get much in Stafford loans (BTW, what you are allowed deductions and income-based or income-sensitive payments) because my parents made too much! I had to take the PLUS loans out, which is ridiculous; I have ALWAYS supported myself. I am so mad I can't continue right now...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nicole in Jacksonville, Florida

36 months ago

NutritionWorks in Canby, Oregon said: I am sorry to see so many negative posts in this forum. I am 50 years old and have been in the clinical field for 20 years. I would say that I like my job 90% of the time. My pay started out at $18.00 an hour and I now make about $32.oo/hour. I work part-time so have very flexible hours which I really like. I get good benefits; retirement, med/den/vision. I decided against getting my master's as it wouldn't increase my pay, but I would now if I was just starting out. I love the people I work with and I have a lot of variability with my job; best of all, I have a great group to work with. I am one happy dietitian who is ready to take the next step in my career; international mission work!:)

Hi,

I will be graduating this December with my Master's in nutrition and I have a passion for international mission work. Would you be willing to tell me a little more about it? Thank you so much!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Nicole in Jacksonville, Florida

36 months ago

Hi,

I will be graduating from my internship soon and plan to begin looking for a entry level clinical position in Florida. Can anyone give me any advice on how much of a salary I should negotiate for as an entry level dietitian? Also if you know of any positions available in the Jacksonville area that would be helpful as well. Thank You!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

rtwx in Oxford, New York

36 months ago

Go on to morrison or sodehxo web site which may indeed have an opportunity for young grads. Ask for 60K

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sumedha in Mumbai, India

35 months ago

Nancy in Knob Noster, Missouri said: I have over 15 years experience and I was making 47,000/year in Southern Indiana working in LTC in 2007. In the midwest, that is considered a good salary for a dietitian! Most RD's have a Master's degree, just like physical therapists and occupational therapist. However, our pay is much less. I would never advise anyone to become a dietitian if they have to survive own their own salary.

i agreed you r right.i m also the sufferer.we should do something for our proffesion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.