Director of Nursing Training/Classes

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

M. Hunter in Saint Louis, Missouri

56 months ago

Does anyone know of any classes and/or training one can take to increase their knowledge abuse on becoming a Director of Nursing. I am looking for some classess or training that I can attend. I have been out of long term care for awhile and need a refresher course of some sort.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (88) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

sherri in Dayton, Ohio

51 months ago

Just took a course through Health Education Network to get certified as a DON-CLTC (certified long term care) it took about 2 weeks/self study books and cost about $300.00 it helped me alot. Best wishes,
sherri, RN

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

della in Farmington, New Mexico

51 months ago

Do you need to be BSN to become a don or adon

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Ducksoft30@aol.com in Dayton, Ohio

51 months ago

della in Farmington, New Mexico said: Do you need to be BSN to become a don or adon

No, just experience in a long term care facility. Some say 10 years experience, 2 years of supervisor experience, and a RN license.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

anaf303@yahoo.com in Miami, Florida

46 months ago

M. Hunter in Saint Louis, Missouri said: Does anyone know of any classes and/or training one can take to increase their knowledge abuse on becoming a Director of Nursing. I am looking for some classess or training that I can attend. I have been out of long term care for awhile and need a refresher course of some sort.

You dont need to go to school to become a Director of Nursing, all you need is a lot clinical experience combined with business administration and state and government regulations knowledge. Not every nurse can be a Director of Nursing, because that depends also on your personality type. When you are the leader you have to behave like a leader. When you find out that everybody follow your instructions is when you realize you have come to the top on your career as a Director of Nursing. And please don't ever do others work in order to prove the "hero" within you because you will end up doing it all, and others won't respect you as you deserve.All is a matter of having charisma along with "cache". Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lori in Cherryvale, Kansas

39 months ago

sherri in Dayton, Ohio said: Just took a course through Health Education Network to get certified as a DON-CLTC (certified long term care) it took about 2 weeks/self study books and cost about $300.00 it helped me alot. Best wishes,
sherri, RN

Is that just for Ohio or is that an online course that anyone can take that is good for any state?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lynda in Viroqua, Wisconsin

38 months ago

Minnesota and Washington are the only states that have an actual training program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

gladys luka in Lanham, Maryland

30 months ago

della in Farmington, New Mexico said: Do you need to be BSN to become a don or adon

It will be a good idea to have your BSN before or when you become a DON. It will give you confident and peace of mind on your job. Nursing has become more of what you have behind your name - education.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Millicent in Pittsfield, Massachusetts

24 months ago

What about Massachusetts rules and regulations for becoming a DNS?
What classes are available there? I am also interested in looking toward the future position of DNS/DON.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.