Top dishwasher skills needed to get the job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (14)

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every dishwasher must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your dishwasher expertise?

Reply - Report abuse

elyette yaro in Bronx, New York

62 months ago

Host said: What are the top 3 traits or skills every dishwasher must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your dishwasher expertise?

make sure the kicthen is clean change gargabe and fast

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

CafeDay in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio

54 months ago

Dishwahing is awful haha. I'd say you need to:
1) be able to plan well. Figure out what dishes are used most often and wash them first.
2) find a good medium of quality and quantity, depending on the day. On busy days you need to put out a few dirty dishes (of course still wash them, but a dot may still be on them) to keep up.
3) take direction well. You are the dish washer, it's basically the lowest job in the restaurant. People will order you to do something (trash, get carts, etc.). You need to be able to deal with it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

J.O.B.

44 months ago

I pride myself as being one of the best dishwashers in the world and love to have new people to train that are willing to try keeping up. I worked at the Space Needle in Seattle and the kitchen is union and refused to give awards. I was the very first person ever since the Needle was built to be given an (Hi-Five) award.
(1)speed (2)non-stopping at times of need (3)nothing out of place and the dishes needed most done first.

A normal day for me would consist of washing the backed up pots and pans upon arrival, taking elevator to the restaurant and washing there until time to ride elevator to banquet level where I would help plate up food. Next I would go back and finish the evenings pots and pans quickly, with time to spare I would jump down and help wash in the restaurant; then end my night washing all the banquet dishes I helped plate up. Sometimes the banquets were outside events. Good luck out there all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Alindoes in Edmonton, Alberta

41 months ago

If i work fast at my dishwashing job as well as do side tasks will that earn me a promotion and being on time for work. Side tasks like basting croissants, peeling carrots, cutting and gutting tomatoes, doing herbs, cutting baby potatoes in half. And the other tasks are sweeping and mopping the stairs, clean staff bathroom, sweep basement floor, take out garbages, break down recycling and put in shed,.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

J.O.B.

41 months ago

Of course however these things take a long time for you to get the promotion. Plus they need to know it is your wish to move up eventually.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Get 'er Done in Victoria, British Columbia

34 months ago

Characters needed for dishwashing: Patience, commitment and perserverance
Skills: organization, organization AND organization

If you aren't organized, you're hooped.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

robertwyatt4926@yahoo.com in Austin, Texas

32 months ago

sarry jobs could.nt have gotten better theese time dishwasher jobs the lowest form of employment but not as low as toilet cleaning iv done it 30 years with out knowing it could have been better. wish u well

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

dovidov in Victoria, British Columbia

30 months ago

just got off an eight hour dishwashing shift, i got slight food poisoning during my shift and had to deal with it while moving as fast as i can in order to close the resturaunt, i wanted to die.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Anthony in Cumming, Georgia

30 months ago

Hey, year-long employed dishwasher here. I work at an italian restaurant in the around the suburbs of a big city, and although it pretty much goes without saying, dishwashing sucks. It truly does. Dirty, greasy, crust caked plates and pans pile up all around you, coworkers and superiors constantly pawn secondary work off on you and the workload that you deal with will leave you wondering if all of it was worth the money. However, if you're short on options and need some tips on how to survive the bulls***, I have a few tips I can share:

1: Take priority of what needs to be washed most frequently.
2: Add a little bleach and/or dishwashing soap to sinkwater; it really makes a difference.
3: Keep your workplace as organized as possible.
4: Don't exhaust yourself; it's easy to find yourself feeling overwhelmed during peak-hours but that won't help you much. Pace yourself and know your limits.
5: Change the water out of sinks frequently to prevent any clogs.

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

mycle1962 in Bronx, New York

24 months ago

elyette yaro in Bronx, New York said: who="Gyrannon in Portland, Oregon"]The top 3 that EVERY dishwasher needs is: Speed, Endurance
Basically you need to be well organized, have no problems with either temperature (Extremely Hot or Ice Cold), Really fast with your hands & arms, and have an excellent way of adapting with new kitchens that you work in.
If you can't do one of these things, then you can't become a dishwasher. The job is frustrating, sometimes never ends, the company is expecting you to work REALLY fast, and with some jobs out there, they'll want you to multitask.

This job is similar to Server, Busser, and expresso jobs. all are fast paced.
i dont have no proble with your comment all what you want and let me tell you i am fast a team player and i get the job done

Don't forget the favorite quote for chefs. HURRY UP.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

Do not forget the favorite quote from the chefs. HURRY UP!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

robertwyatt4926@yahoo.com in Austin, Texas said: always show up happy clean wash hands always boss always right

Be organize, Do priority things first, and be as fast as you can be. I have taken up other task upon being done with my work like cleaning the walk in, cleaning and organizing dry storage. Also have done prep work for the kitchen staff. Some of this stuff has earn me a hospitality award.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

wachi in Sheboygan, Wisconsin

24 months ago

you seen to have alot of exp as a dishwasher if the manager of the kitchen tell you what are responsibility and part of you job can a cook tell you what to do for example if they arent busy and have half hour talking on the phone and then tell you to take out something and you said to them yes i will do it just put it where it goes is that really a bad thing to said?? ( another cook was going to put it where it goes before i even tell him that but he said to him to not to do it )

elyette yaro in Bronx, New York said: who="Gyrannon in Portland, Oregon"]The top 3 that EVERY dishwasher needs is: Speed, Endurance
Basically you need to be well organized, have no problems with either temperature (Extremely Hot or Ice Cold), Really fast with your hands & arms, and have an excellent way of adapting with new kitchens that you work in.
If you can't do one of these things, then you can't become a dishwasher. The job is frustrating, sometimes never ends, the company is expecting you to work REALLY fast, and with some jobs out there, they'll want you to multitask.

This job is similar to Server, Busser, and expresso jobs. all are fast paced.
i dont have no proble with your comment all what you want and let me tell you i am fast a team player and i get the job done

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.