What are the best Electrical Designer qualifications and training to get ahead?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

What is the best training for becoming an Electrical Designer? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective Electrical Designer?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Reply - Report abuse

eppy in Sarasota, Florida

62 months ago

working in the eng. office for min. of 10 years and
take all field assignments.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

eppy2 in Sarasota, Florida

56 months ago

eppy in Sarasota, Florida said: working in the eng. office for min. of 10 years and
take all field assignments.

I was working as a electrical designer in Ma.Now i'm looking for a job in Sarasota.Do you know of any companies that are hiring?
eppy 2
THANKS
DON E

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

tumpliner in Colorado Springs, Colorado

25 days ago

Of course, you need understandings of electrical basics, and then knowledge of typical components and typical circuits. There are many ways to get these understandings. I don't know if it is a question of the best way-- just find a way to get the understandings.
In my experience, electrical design has a very practical orientation. It is not so much about where you went to school, but more about what can you do, what have you done, and finally-- can you do a good job and get it done on time with a minimum of time spent by others to get you up to speed? Experience is quite valuable. How to get experience without a job? If you have gotten some of the understandings, as listed above, then apply them in creating typical electrical designs, so that you can show others what you have done and are capable of doing.
A great way is to get an electrical design software, become very familiar with it, build up a library of symbols that you use most often, if it doesn't have it already. Build up a portfolio of drawings that you can bring with you to an interview.
There are several out there, but one with a lower learning curve is going to attract more attention from a prospective employer, and probably from you as well. Low price is a criteria, of course, also. SEE Electrical has one you can download for free and train yourself on. It is pretty intuitive, and very flexible. Any software is going to get you ahead of the mechanical design that goes on in parallel, so you might also want to consider getting some knowledge in low-level mechanical design to help the mech designers out. Solidworks is an obvious choice, but there is also AutoCAD 360 on the cloud.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.