Starting out...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (18)

Host

How did you get your start doing electrical engineer work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

shahzad in Downers Grove, Illinois

96 months ago

hi

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Afshin in Hayward, California

96 months ago

shahzad said: hi

I started with internship, I found the intership through school, in a job fair. So take school serious, career center and job fairs, they are all serious. Most companies have investment in schools which are close to them.
Oops, I forgot, go and find a proffessor at school which is working in industry and take project with him. That is key.
When you get there, no matter what the job is, do your best and try to LEARN. anything. Be curious about the designs, schematics, review your books, and learn and offer your abilities to the coworkers, and constantly look for a job when you are employed.
good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

shahzad in Downers Grove, Illinois

96 months ago

Thankyou Afshin Can u give me urs email address or hotmail or yahoo id so tht if i need ur help i will easily get to you
take care.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Wanderer in Saint Louis, Missouri

94 months ago

Afshin,

Good advice. I am but a simple CADD Coordinator, but, I am trying to arrange to get an intern this summer to work with me and the Engineers in my office (Two Mechanical, One Electrical). Our department tries to get interns every year, but, sometimes there are not enough interested in spending time in our field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

shahzad in Melrose Park, Illinois

94 months ago

where do u work and whats is your location.let me know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

94 months ago

Shahzad,

I work in St. Louis. But, I won't give you my name or business because I know I can't use you being in Illinois. We have certain schools that HR organizes with and must get our interns through them.

Good luck. :-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jake in North Ridgeville, Ohio

92 months ago

[QUOTE who="Wanderer"]Shahzad,
I work in St. Louis. But, I won't give you my name or business because I know I can't use you being in Illinois. We have certain schools that HR organizes with and must get our interns through them.
Good luck. :-)

Hi,

How about regular hiring outlook? I am an Electrical Engineer, more entry-level than real experience. I am willig to relocate.

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

92 months ago

I'm afraid I can't help you out with leads; I don't work with an Engineering firm, I work with a Facility, so three Engineers is a full staff for us (we actually got by on two for about 5 years as all of our Design work is contracted out to local engineering firms).

Any jobs we (and any other companies) post will be sent through STLtoday.com (the website of the St. Louis Post Dispatch), I'd imagine there are other companies in the city who need Engineers, though, I'd give them a look. Decent cost of living in the area, on both sides of the river.

Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jake in North Ridgeville, Ohio

91 months ago

Thank you. I'm evaluating cities now and hopefully I will make a good decision for future hirings. :-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

bill in Wabush, Newfoundland

84 months ago

you smell

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Jake,

Bill's pointless post has brought me back to this thread. Not sure if you're still looking, but, thought that I would note that a month or two ago, the local paper ditched their existing online job posting system and are now listing through YahooHotJobs. Easy access and searching through them.

Good luck if you're still looking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jake_EE in Elyria, Ohio

84 months ago

Wanderer in Saint Louis, Missouri said: Jake,

Bill's pointless post has brought me back to this thread. Not sure if you're still looking, but, thought that I would note that a month or two ago, the local paper ditched their existing online job posting system and are now listing through YahooHotJobs. Easy access and searching through them.

Good luck if you're still looking.

Hi, yes I am still looking. Thanks for the new info on where they advertise jobs. This all looks really bleak; I've been out so long (years) I doubt anyone will even look at me. I am going to talk to a local machine shop and try to convince them to hire me (career change). I recently applied at a new retail store but they don't want me either.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ira in Miami, Florida

75 months ago

would you aggree with the advances in technology the EE feild is declining in avalible work, I am a student in an EE ciriculum that was just advised today by a person with a masters in EE and he advsied to get out now while I was early in the curiculum. your thoughts please

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jake_EE in Lorain, Ohio

75 months ago

Yes I agree the EE field is dead here in America. Even right out of college, I struggled two years through job-hunting before I found something.

But now is even worse! So change careers now. Go into a field where your relatives can get you in at their companies. I don't have that luxury but hopefully you do.

I have sent resumes all around the country and I can not get an interview. So I don't think this is city specific.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Irvin in Brooklyn, New York

73 months ago

Hi everyone, currently i will begin in Jan of 09 my EE major, as i am reading i am a little scared on even beginning it,i live on the east cost where they say that EE is strong but from what you guys are saying that it seems that EE is a dying career. I really want this as a career since i already changed my career once and i really think that this would be a great choice but i want to hear what you guys have to say as well.

Thanks for any input

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jen in Kaukauna, Wisconsin

73 months ago

Don't worry Irvin, My husband just went to a Job Fair and got 4 interviews lined up right away. Companies dont want the students that skate by with a C average, and from what my husband says, kids today think that a C average will get them the job and it won't!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Ll in Plano, Texas

63 months ago

I wish it was that easy. I just graduated in Mat'09 (EE) with 3.93 GPA and i have been looking for a job since then. I live in DFW area (huge EE market) and 2 mnths later still no luck. I am sending out my resumes all over country now, hoping for the best. Unfortunately, most job positions state very clearly they want 5+ yrs exp. I guess i'll go buy that exp on eBay or something...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.