electrician and lineman work in Australia

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 926)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Frontline Fred in Brisbane, Australia

73 months ago

Anybody with either or both electrician or lineman qualifications would find work in most mines underground or open cut. Average wage for twelve hour shift with seven (days) on seven of with a fly in fly out situation,all meals on site with accommodation would pull around $140K(Aust) per year.Some sites offer a lot more (Mt.Isa) around $45/$50 per hour and work as much as you wish. Lineys earn a little less around $39 to $40 per hour. Transmission lineys in big demand. Isolated locations but the money is way up there. The food is good. the accommodationis good and the beer is cold after shift. If you wish for more info let me know. Regards, Frontline Fred.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (396) / No (39) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Hi Andy Martin, Coatbridge U.K. Just google "mining jobs Australia" or rio tinto mining company or, BHP Biliton or Thiess mining company or Extrata mining and the list will go on. Once you get their web site go to "jobs search" and the world is your oyster. The company will have to sponsor you on what is called a 4-5-7 visa. These companies are recruiting world wide. Good luck, Frontline Fred.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (56) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

J.P. Godbout in Leduc, Alberta

73 months ago

Hi Fred, I'm pretty interrested in that kind of work. If you have more info or maybe a reference name/number my e-mail is jpgaborik@hotmail.com , thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Hi, I responded, not sure if it went thru.
Just google "Mining employment agencies Australia" or, Mining companies Australia. Avoid agencies that require a fee for advice or information or sale of booklets etc. I also suggest you research a little about this country; it's as big as the U.S but with a population of just 23 million. It takes 5 1/2 hours to fly coast to coast. Look for jobs that offer FIFO.(fly in, fly out to the nearest city where your family would reside). Try for a 7 on, 7 off roster. The company would have to sponsor you on a 4-5-7 work visa. Most companies would have little problem with this.
At the moment they are bringing in Filipinos (trades people) as well because of the shortage of trades people.
You have to be prepared to work in isolated areas but our deserts are pretty awesome but it would be only for 7days on the 7days off.
Good luck, Fronline Fred

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

What country are you from?
The work Vision Energy conduct (one division) is the renewal/up-grading of consumers services. This is very simple work. Normally 3 man crews. One electrician, one linesman and a safety observer TA. They also do distribution O'head construction as well as underground installations. The company profile is on the net. Google Vision Energy Queensland Australia. Good luck,
Frontline Fred.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Hi Iqbal,
If you were to google "Vision Energy Queensland. Australia" all the details about this company would come up.
The CEO is Wayne Land. Email him in relation to an electrical position.
I am very sure he would email you about any prospects; at the moment they are recruiting in South Africa, England and Ireland etc.
If you already have TRA etc it would help immensely

Regards,
Frontline Fred

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Troy Flaming in Boise, Idaho

73 months ago

Fred, my name is Troy. I've recently graduated from Northwest Linemans College. I would love to move to Australia, and I feel I would be a great asset down under. please contact me at troy.flaming@gmail.com, thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Joshua in Turramurra, Australia

72 months ago

Frontline Fred in Brisbane, Australia said: Anybody with either or both electrician or lineman qualifications would find work in most mines underground or open cut. Average wage for twelve hour shift with seven (days) on seven of with a fly in fly out situation,all meals on site with accommodation would pull around $140K(Aust) per year.Some sites offer a lot more (Mt.Isa) around $45/$50 per hour and work as much as you wish. Lineys earn a little less around $39 to $40 per hour. Transmission lineys in big demand. Isolated locations but the money is way up there. The food is good. the accommodationis good and the beer is cold after shift. If you wish for more info let me know. Regards, Frontline Fred.

Hi everyone, im 20 years old, and im currently an apprentice electrician, have been for 1 year now. im wanting to go to the mines to earn/save alot of money while im young. I have a wife, so i need to FIFO job in the mines, are these harder to get or not? i plan on going to the mines in my last year of the apprenticeship, or once i get my trade, which would be better? im wanting to earn as much as i can obviously, so am i better to work during my apprenticeship as a linesman, or in HV, or Industrial, ect or does it not matter that much? am i likely to be hired as a trade qualified if i have no mining expirience? all help and info would be very much appreciated. thankyou

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

I think you would have to have completed your apprenticeship first. If you are coming into Australia as an apprentice you would find it pretty difficult as we train our own apprentices.
You could contact www.thiess.com.au and see what thyey may offer you.
1st year apprentices' are not even allowed to climb in this State (Queensland).
Good luck anyway.
Frontlinefred.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Joshua in Turramurra, Australia said: Hi everyone, im 20 years old, and im currently an apprentice electrician, have been for 1 year now. im wanting to go to the mines to earn/save alot of money while im young. I have a wife, so i need to FIFO job in the mines, are these harder to get or not? i plan on going to the mines in my last year of the apprenticeship, or once i get my trade, which would be better? im wanting to earn as much as i can obviously, so am i better to work during my apprenticeship as a linesman, or in HV, or Industrial, ect or does it not matter that much? am i likely to be hired as a trade qualified if i have no mining expirience? all help and info would be very much appreciated. thankyou

Once you finish your apprenticeship you would have no problems. If you can do HV glove and barrier (HV live) as well as do switching you would be in high demand. Most mining companies would be prepared to put you through the necessary inductions and medicals before you commenced. Most also offer fly infly out rosters. Again, Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

kevin lowe in Parow, South Africa

72 months ago

hi i'm an young south african spark looking for any aprentice job. i do not have an visa nor any qualificatoins but i've been working as an spark for 3 years. ive been threw an rough time and promise my best and most sincere hounasty, my email address is: susanl@axxess.co.za. please email me with help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Sorry, I do not employ anybody; I have just given advice to those whom have asked for it on this "forum"
As you are without qualifications and you have not completed an indentured apprnticeship you would be very unlikely to be given a visa to seek an apprenticeship or work in Australia.
The 4-5-7 visa system is available for companies within Australia to "bring in" skilled or trades people with the relevant qualifications that the company has to prove are not available here in Australia or there are none available.
At this moment Australia has too many jobs for trades people or skilled persons and not enough people with the appropriate qualifications to fill the positions so, these companies are allowed to seek relevant trades people from other countries.
I'm sorry you have had a rough time lately. I suggest you find someone to sign you up as an indentured apprentice otherwise you will always be an electrical skilled person without qualifications.
Sorry mate.
Frontlinefred.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

tylan in Jackson, Ohio

72 months ago

Frontline Fred in Brisbane, Australia said: Anybody with either or both electrician or lineman qualifications would find work in most mines underground or open cut. Average wage for twelve hour shift with seven (days) on seven of with a fly in fly out situation,all meals on site with accommodation would pull around $140K(Aust) per year.Some sites offer a lot more (Mt.Isa) around $45/$50 per hour and work as much as you wish. Lineys earn a little less around $39 to $40 per hour. Transmission lineys in big demand. Isolated locations but the money is way up there. The food is good. the accommodationis good and the beer is cold after shift. If you wish for more info let me know. Regards, Frontline Fred.

Hey, My name is Tylan Gonzalez I currently work for Pike eletric here in United States. I have been here for a year and a half. I worked for Davis H Elliot in Dayton Ohio before that for 2 years. I keep getting moved from state to state and they are not covering my gas/lodging expenses. Im a B lineman and and am only looking forward to moving up. I am not sure where to look for these jobs Ive tired yahoo search and google and I keep getting sites like these instead of real job offers. Im also not sure where to get this visa? I tried this website...
assessments.visabureau.com is this the correct one? Any help would be much appreciated. My email candace_tyc@yahoo.com

thank you

72 months ago

Hi Troy,
Google mining jobs Australia or, careers.com or, electrical jobs australia and heaps of offers will present themselves.
As for Union positions this is optional. generally speaking it is an individual choice.
The rate of pay is the same whether unionised or not. In some circumstances it pays to be in the union depends on the company you join and their working conditions.
Western Australia (one of our States) offers the most positions as well as Queensland; plenty of work available if your prepared to live on site on a fly in- fly out roster. Contact me again if you need help.
Contact the Australian Consulate or Embassy in your area regading work visas.
Frontline Fred.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Tylan; google mining jobs Australia. Also, google mining companies Australia and most of the larger companies have their webb sites posted; go to carees or job opportunities once you have opened their page. Fillout the details etc. Once again, contact your closest Australian Consulate or Embassy for details and requirements for applying for the appropriate work visas etc.
Under no circumstances arrive in Australia without the necessary visa or paperwork otherwise, they will just put you straight back on a plane to where you came from.
There is mile of work here for tradespeople. You will be required to pay your own airfares etc in most instances. See if you can get a sponsor here in Australia and it will save you heaps of problems.
We are exactly the same as most countries "No work visa, sorry no work" so do it right.
Regards,
Frontline Fred

tylan in Jackson, Ohio

72 months ago

Frontline Fred in Brisbane, Australia said: Tylan; google mining jobs Australia. Also, google mining companies Australia and most of the larger companies have their webb sites posted; go to carees or job opportunities once you have opened their page. Fillout the details etc. Once again, contact your closest Australian Consulate or Embassy for details and requirements for applying for the appropriate work visas etc.
Under no circumstances arrive in Australia without the necessary visa or paperwork otherwise, they will just put you straight back on a plane to where you came from.
There is mile of work here for tradespeople. You will be required to pay your own airfares etc in most instances. See if you can get a sponsor here in Australia and it will save you heaps of problems.
We are exactly the same as most countries "No work visa, sorry no work" so do it right.
Regards,
Frontline Fred

Ok thanks, If I have to pay my own flight and everything I think Ill just stay here. I know the living cost their are much more than here and the plane tickets are outrageous. I pull in 70,000 a year here If I they pay 100,000 in Au and Im paying my own lodging and food plus plane tickets it will not be like im making anymore money. Thanks anyway

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

The airfare I was saying you would most likely have to pay was from your country to Australia. The companies would fly you in and out from the mine site to the nearest capital city.
Your accomodation and food all supplied while on the mine site.
Airfares are on par with the U.S. it's just that where as you have a lot of short haul routes here in Aussie they are mostly long haul. And trust me; having spent some time in the U.S. the cost of living here in Aussie is much, much cheaper than the U.S.
At the moment you would only get 70 cents Aussie for one U.S. dollar so it is in your favour. But the Aussie dollar is up and down like a toilet seat at the moment (it was 95 in the dollar a month or two ago). Taxes much the same, the food and beer superior and gas on par.
Frontline Fred

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

tylan in Jackson, Ohio

72 months ago

Oh that sounds much better then because the plane tickes are expensive, however i went to www.realestate.com.au and couldnt find anything cheaper than 300 a week. I currently have a home in Albany Ohio where my family lives that was 100,000 3 bedroom 2 baths and 4 acers for 600.00$ a month then house is 1500 square foot and 4 years of age. Perhaps I was on the wrong realestate site i was using. I then went to www.aussiemove.com and looked at prices for gas eggs etc. Gas here in Albany ohio is 3.60$ a gallon and eggs are 1.50$ for a dozen at Save A Lot. But perhaps that website was wrong. I tried to learn a little about the country before I decide to look for a job their. My wife has it in her heart to move their sometime within a few years. We visited West Lake Shore and I had a hard time getting her to leave. I think that was almost two years ago and she has asked every month if we can go back. I applied today at powerlink,and thies, then tenix. Sorry if this doesnt make sense im typing on my cell phone so its a bit harder. I have another question you say the taxes are similar to us? Currently i claim 0 and get about 45% of my earnings every week taken out for taxes is this similar? Basically Im not just wanting to go their to make alot of money then come back to the us someday i hope to move their and stay I just want to make sure i can afford it and that I will be doing better than I am here. Ive still got the great task of selling my home here Im sure that will be a while the house market is crap right now. thanks, ty

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Joshua in Turramurra, Australia

72 months ago

Frontline Fred in Brisbane, Australia said: Once you finish your apprenticeship you would have no problems. If you can do HV glove and barrier (HV live) as well as do switching you would be in high demand. Most mining companies would be prepared to put you through the necessary inductions and medicals before you commenced. Most also offer fly infly out rosters. Again, Good luck

"I think you would have to have completed your apprenticeship first. If you are coming into Australia as an apprentice you would find it pretty difficult as we train our own apprentices.
You could contact www.thiess.com.au and see what thyey may offer you.
1st year apprentices' are not even allowed to climb in this State (Queensland).
Good luck anyway.
Frontlinefred."

First, Thankyou for replying. what do you mean by 'train our own apprentices'? i assumed you meant australian, which i am? or maybe you mean from qld? are there no mines which employ apprentices unless your somehow 'in the know'? sounds a bit funny. if though, this is correct and i have a hard time finding mining work while an apprentice, what kind of work should i be looking at doing? you said HV glove and barrier, should i look at working in a linesman job, or in a plant or..?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

I did not realise you were an Aussie. If you have already commenced you apprenticeship as a sparkie you would be well advised to complete this. It is much easier and takes a shorter time to go from electrician to liney than vice versa.
If you have started your trade you may find a mining company willing to take over your indentures (I did). I completed my electrical trade then applied for a trainee liney job with Energex which I completed. It took a couple of more years before I was considered for "Stick" then glove and barrier training. Now that I am dual traded (Electrical fitter mechanic/linesman/live linesman) I can and do find work in almost any country I wish.
Contact the www.thiess.com address and see if they would give you a shot at transfering your indentures accross to them.
When I said we train our own apprentice's I meant Australia trains it's own apprentices. You may also try to contact the HR officer at Energex a Mr. Peter Auld and see what he could do for you. Once again, good luck and if I can help in any way just let me know.
Frontline Fred

72 months ago

tylan in Jackson, Ohio said: Oh that sounds much better then because the plane tickes are expensive, however i went to www.realestate.com.au and couldnt find anything cheaper than 300 a week. I currently have a home in Albany Ohio where my family lives that was 100,000 3 bedroom 2 baths and 4 acers for 600.00$ a month then house is 1500 square foot and 4 years of age. Perhaps I was on the wrong realestate site i was using. I then went to www.aussiemove.com and looked at prices for gas eggs etc. Gas here in Albany ohio is 3.60$ a gallon and eggs are 1.50$ for a dozen at Save A Lot. But perhaps that website was wrong. I tried to learn a little about the country before I decide to look for a job their. My wife has it in her heart to move their sometime within a few years. We visited West Lake Shore and I had a hard time getting her to leave. I think that was almost two years ago and she has asked every month if we can go back. I applied today at powerlink,and thies, then tenix. Sorry if this doesnt make sense im typing on my cell phone so its a bit harder. I have another question you say the taxes are similar to us? Currently i claim 0 and get about 45% of my earnings every week taken out for taxes is this similar? Basically Im not just wanting to go their to make alot of money then come back to the us someday i hope to move their and stay I just want to make sure i can afford it and that I will be doing better than I am here. Ive still got the great task of selling my home here Im sure that will be a while the house market is crap right now. thanks, ty

Ty, I gross approx 105k pa and I pay tax of about 30 cents per dollar.
Rents here are high at the moment more so in capital cities. Mackay around $300 per week Rockhampton around $230/$300 per week.
Same as The U.S. at the moment gas is expensive but we dont have cold winters so you dont require heating oil etc.
House prices here are reasonably bouyant as we are not in recession as is the U.S.

tylan in Jackson, Ohio

72 months ago

Frontline Fred in Brisbane, Australia said: Ty, I gross approx 105k pa and I pay tax of about 30 cents per dollar.
Rents here are high at the moment more so in capital cities. Mackay around $300 per week Rockhampton around $230/$300 per week.
Same as The U.S. at the moment gas is expensive but we dont have cold winters so you dont require heating oil etc.
House prices here are reasonably bouyant as we are not in recession as is the U.S.

Ok thanks, taxes arent to bad their then, I think perhaps it was the homes we were looking at or the areas. I think if we moved gas wouldnt be to much of a problem due to the fact it is warmer their and I could ride my bike yr round and gas for it is cheap. Do you know of any other companies that are hirring their? I applied to three so far but would like to apply to as many as possible.

thanks, ty

trevor Allen in Phoenix, Arizona

72 months ago

This sounds great i am a preventive maintenace mechanic i have worked at sky harbor airport on baggage handling systems on all types of conveyor system, have 4 years exp. i have worked with 480v mcp's plc's let me know if i meet the requirements you are looking for.

72 months ago

Ty, send your email address and I will email you a complete list of companies seeking electricians that sub-contract to the mining giants.
This list was supplied to me by the ETU (electrical trades union)
As I stated you do not have to be union.
Research a bit about Australia eg. Health, education,crime (very low) etc more so on Queensland and Western Australia. We have only 5 states and 2 territories not including Antarctica. Our land size is much the same as U.S. our population around 23 million.
I ride a bike to and from wherever its much cheaper. utilities reasonably cheap> I use an average of $1200 per year and I as most Aussies run airconditioning. The list I have is pretty well complete and these companies pay very, very well if you can crack one
Regards, Fred

tylan in Jackson, Ohio

72 months ago

Frontline Fred in Brisbane, Australia said: Ty, send your email address and I will email you a complete list of companies seeking electricians that sub-contract to the mining giants.
As I stated you do not have to be union.
Research a bit about Australia eg. Health, education,crime (very low) etc more so on Queensland and Western Australia. We have only 5 states and 2 territories not including Antarctica. Our land size is much the same as U.S. our population around 23 million.
I ride a bike to and from wherever its much cheaper. utilities reasonably cheap> I use an average of $1200 per year and I as most Aussies run airconditioning. The list I have is pretty well complete and these companies pay very, very well if you can crack one
Regards, Fred

Thanks that would be great, here it is well its my wifes but i use it too she is better on the comp than i am, candace_tyc@yahoo.com I appreciate it. Is most of the work in queenslalnd and western australia? 1200 a yr for utilties is nuts we spend that in 2-3 months in my home i wish ours were that cheap. Ill research those areas once i get home this weekend,the internet on my cell is slow so ill have to waint. Do u miss alot of days of work also? We missed 2 days so far this week due to rain. I imagine you dont rain out very often.

thanks again ty

72 months ago

Once you are in Aussie you will not have any problems. You will be required to obtain you Australia State electrical licence which is not too difficult.
Frontline Fred.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Sorry to let you know; I am not an employer and I do not hire people. I, like you, am an electrician and a linesman both low voltage and live HV. If you are seeking employment search the net. There are plenty of opportunities in Australia.
Good luck.
Frontline Fred

Joshua in Sydney, Australia

72 months ago

Frontline Fred in Brisbane, Australia said: I did not realise you were an Aussie. If you have already commenced you apprenticeship as a sparkie you would be well advised to complete this. It is much easier and takes a shorter time to go from electrician to liney than vice versa.
If you have started your trade you may find a mining company willing to take over your indentures (I did). I completed my electrical trade then applied for a trainee liney job with Energex which I completed. It took a couple of more years before I was considered for "Stick" then glove and barrier training. Now that I am dual traded (Electrical fitter mechanic/linesman/live linesman) I can and do find work in almost any country I wish.
Contact the www.thiess.com address and see if they would give you a shot at transfering your indentures accross to them.
When I said we train our own apprentice's I meant Australia trains it's own apprentices. You may also try to contact the HR officer at Energex a Mr. Peter Auld and see what he could do for you. Once again, good luck and if I can help in any way just let me know.
Frontline Fred

so when i finish my apprenticeship as an electrician, i have to do another traineeship as a liney? did you do that because lineys earn more than electricians in the mines, or are electricians not required in the mines? how long would the trainee ship be and what kind of money are you on as a trainee? when i finish my apprenticeship will i be more or less favoured for the type of work ive done during my apprenticeship, like HV over commercial or domestic etc?

and, way off topic, sorry, but my tafe teacher said in some, possibly all, mines, you cant wear metal jewelry like a ring or earing as it could start a spark, is this true??

thanks for all the helpful info i appreciate it very much

Joshua in Sydney, Australia

72 months ago

Frontline Fred in Brisbane, Australia said: Ty, send your email address and I will email you a complete list of companies seeking electricians that sub-contract to the mining giants.
The list I have is pretty well complete and these companies pay very, very well if you can crack one
Regards, Fred

sorry, could i get this list emailed to me aswell please? cusumano.joshua@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

True for both sparkies and linesmen, NO JEWELERY This is the situation either in the mining industry or not; you are not supposed to wear even a metal watch also wedding rings. You should be aware of this as a spakie, even now in your own apprenticeship; it's dangerous!
Sparkies make more dollars than Lineys unless you are glove and barrier trained. Linesmen are not in demand in the mines execpt for minesties such as Weipa or some W.A. sites.
Finish your apprenticeship and go om to complete cable jointing if you can; big dollars and big demand in the mines. Also, seee if you can get the opportunity to specialise in HV work and HV terminations. If you are dual traded as I am EFM, (linesman, glove and barrier linesman and Airborne linesman) the world is your oyster. You would not even have to go to the mines to earn big dollars.
You could try now to have your indentures transfered if you contacted some of the mining mob. I would at least wait until I was begining my third year before doing this. Going from sparkie to liney is much easier as you would have completed more electrical theory than is required to be a linesman. A linesman is not required to have all the electrical theory as sparkies must have. This is why it is simpler to go from sparkie to liney than vice versa. As a sparkie you can do a lineys course (not including practicle) in 16 weeks (theory) so you can see what I mean. I find linesmen work more enjoyable more so airborne linework (helicopters) but this is far more specialised and rewarding. Mine sparky work is fulfilling as it offers variety and wonderful technology and if you can gain this experience then you will always be in demand. Good luck.
Frontline Fred.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

A bit more info. Linies are not allowed to wear jewelery as well. Think about the environment you are working in, ELECTRICITY; get between a circuit with a wedding ring on your finger and your buggered. What would your wife prefer; you alive without your ring at work or dead with your wedding ring welded to your flesh?
You will be favoured as an electrician either way. Learn as much as you can and learn as much diversity as you can.
Just because your employer does not cover all the fields of electrical work if you were truly dedicated you can attend TAFE course in all other sides of our industry. It may be difficult now but, it will pay huge dividends for you later. This is what I did.
Sparkies are always in demand all over. Linemen are in demand normally by the electrical utilities/Boards/authorities mainly so think about it and specialise in the whole electrical spectrum.
Frontline

joshua in Turramurra, Australia

72 months ago

what kind of training would have to be done if i had finished my electrical aprenticeship, and wanted to work in the mines doing cable jointing with no prior ex[pirience in that field? how long would it take? would i be on low wage while training? what kind of wage are you looking at once qualified? what job would you start out as and be able to work your way up the ladder to? thanks again for your help frontline and others!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

As a mine electrician you would be on about $85k upwards to $140k with shift work. To get in the mines you would require your mine generic blue card and have a medical.
Cable jointing is a seperate trade but, with an already qualified sparkies ticket and around $12000 you could have your cable jointers qualification in 3-4 months. This will not include lead wiping as most of this is now only required by the electrical boards. You would cover mostly resin type jointing (HV). You could expect to earn around the same to $150k p.a. in the mines.
What type of apprenticeship are you covering now? domestic and industrial; Rural or city type?
As I said; there is nothing stoping you doing electrical courses in other areas while you are doing your apprenticeship such as cable jointing TAFE (Very cheap that way) PLCs etc. Don't wait until you have completed your trade do it now. Also as an adult apprentice or, mature aged apprentice you would start on tha basic minimum wage.

Ashley Honeyman in Littleborough, United Kingdom

72 months ago

Hi all, just wanted some info on going to oz to work. i am a qualified electrician and have just come out of college with all my city and guilds qualifications. me and a couple of my mates (also sparks)we are all 20- 22 are looking to move to oz for 12 months is there really as much work for sparks as is said? and is there money to be made over there with these qualifications? i don't know where to start looking on the net for these jobs. a couple of people at work have told me to do it threw an agancy do you have any useful info into looking into this please.

thankyou

ashley j honeyman

72 months ago

google, mining jobs auatralia or, careers.com or, seek.com or, google mining companies australia and search their web pages.
You will have to get your visas (work) before arriving also to work as sparks you will have to get your Aussie licence whichis a little theory, practicle and regulations.
Frontline Fred

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

Frontline Fred in Brisbane, Australia said: As a mine electrician you would be on about $85k upwards to $140k with shift work. To get in the mines you would require your mine generic blue card and have a medical.
Cable jointing is a seperate trade but, with an already qualified sparkies ticket and around $12000 you could have your cable jointers qualification in 3-4 months. This will not include lead wiping as most of this is now only required by the electrical boards. You would cover mostly resin type jointing (HV). You could expect to earn around the same to $150k p.a. in the mines.
What type of apprenticeship are you covering now? domestic and industrial; Rural or city type?
As I said; there is nothing stoping you doing electrical courses in other areas while you are doing your apprenticeship such as cable jointing TAFE (Very cheap that way) PLCs etc. Don't wait until you have completed your trade do it now. Also as an adult apprentice or, mature aged apprentice you would start on tha basic minimum wage.

what would be the difference between an electrician on 85k v one on 140k? at the moment i do work on domestic/comercial work, but just got a new job working in HV substations, and industrial type work. i figured this job would be better expirience for when i go to the mines. what do you need to do to get a mine generic blue card? would it be worth training to be a cable jointing when they are paid the same as if i were just stay as an electrician? what would be the best thing for me to do if i want to aim for 140k in the mines?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

neil cornall in Brisbane, Australia

71 months ago

hi fred
im currently in brisbane on a 12 month working visa with the intention stopping here as long as can get sponsorship, and im looking to get on in the mines, or an electricians job. ive applied for my trade recongnison and got it, i thought this would be all i need but as ive since found out i can only work as a TA and need to sit exams as well, this is slowly becoming a very hard task to obtain my electrical license, painful and a stressful process.
i thought the country needed electricians and were in big demand, why is this such a long process!!!! i seem to hit brick walls every time i apply for a job. please any help would be grateful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jon in New Zealand

71 months ago

hi fred im moveing 2 brisbane at the end of the year im a transmission line mechanic the mines sound good wats my best option to get a job even in brisbane?

71 months ago

You will appreciate the need to have a standard for electricians in this country. We get people from all over the world claiming to be electricians. In their own country they may be accepted as electricians but once here some would not know how to change a lamp bulb. Nothing personal against Filipino's but, you can buy almost anything in that country. Other countries do not have an apprenticeship system; it seems acceptable that if you work in the trade you can call yourself an electrician. If you have had your trade quals recognised why not just sit the exam? it's pretty simple and you can get an example test of the net. If it seems to be a drawn out process that would be up to you. You can apply to sit the exam (in South Australia) once you think your ready. We are critically short of all trades people but, we have to make sure they ARE trades people.
You would be surprised how many fraudulent "TRADESPERSONS" are found out to be just that, FRAUDS. I suggest you sit the exam and start making good money. We have heaps of South Africans coming over and they have no problems with doing the exam and on the average they are very fine sparkies.
Regards,
Frontline Fred

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

Contact www.thiess.com or go to the Powerlink page (Google powerlink) and look at careers or jobs available.
You could just google linesman jobs available Australia and see what comes up.
Frontline Fred.

71 months ago

what would be the difference between an electrician on 85k v one on 140k? at the moment i do work on domestic/comercial work, but just got a new job working in HV substations, and industrial type work. i figured this job would be better expirience for when i go to the mines. what do you need to do to get a mine generic blue card? would it be worth training to be a cable jointing when they are paid the same as if i were just stay as an electrician? what would be the best thing for me to do if i want to aim for 140k in the mines?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

Yes, not written but a practicability assessment. This means you would be required to do assessments (set/given) task to perform under the watchful eye of an assessor. This could anything from mid-span splice, insulator stringing/changing to simple construction. If you were "live line" (hot work) it would be a lot, lot more involved with some written assessments. New Zealand is one of the countries where if you worked for the electrical authority, you began as a tradesman's assistant and worked your way up to linesman without any real class room theory involvement or assessment. In the last few years your country has adopted the trainee-ship/apprenticeship way of achieving a trade qualified linesman. We still get a few Kiwi lineys not really up to Australian standards (nothing at all personal) but that was a fact of life. I have worked with and enjoyed the company of some very fine and capable Kiwi linesmen. There were a few whom I actually assessed myself and wondered how the hell they ever got their qualifications. One bloke could not even understand why we didn't just use 240volts as transmission in the first place instead of sending it down line in 275K or 330KV etc (true story) and he claimed he was a "live liney", naturally he failed.
Check your qualifications with Powerlink in Queensland; they would let you know whether your up to scratch and I would dare say you would be ok.
Regards.
Frontline Fred

71 months ago

Different types of mines pay different rates, coal mines,gold, uranium,iron ore rutile sands etc.
Also what shifts you work; FIFO. seven on seven off ,four off eleven on etc. Underground or surface electrician, all depends on what and where you work.
As I said; the more qualifications you possess the more opportunities you have to choose from.
Get your extra quals now, don't wait until you have finished your trade.
Make sure you are indentured or you will never be a true electrician without being indentured. You will just be an electrical worker.
If you are a sparkie able to do cable jointing, HV terminations etc you will be able to travel the world and earn great money. By holding multiple trades you will be in huge demand. Electricians are more in demand in the mines than lineys' also, lineys' are mainly employed by the electrical distribution/transmission authorities.
As I said enrol in TAFE now to learn extra courses in other areas of the electrical calling. It's much easier to do them now than when you finish your trade. But remember, if your not an indentured apprentice then you are wasting your time.
You will not require a generic blue card until you are going into the mines (simple huh?) and as I said the more quals you hold the better opportunities you will have. What would you rather be a Ford or a Ferrari? think about it.
Regards,
Frontline Fred.

Jay

71 months ago

Hi Frontline fred,
I have been searching the net looking for overseas jobs and happened upon your help to others.
I am in the U.S. and I am a licensed master electrician with the majority of my experiance in residential and light commercial, would one of the companys there consider me for employment or do you know of anyone I might be able to check with.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Jay

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

thanks alot frontline fred, you have helped alot. i will look into tafe courses! do you know which ones/types of ones i can do while still an apprentice that are worth doing?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

..because i asked my tafe teacher today and he said i should just wait and not 'get ahead of myself'..but i am top of my class and eager to do as much as possible.

oh and off topic a little, you said roster can affect pay, are employees given a roster based on how 'good' they are, or do they chose their own or..? and are you paid less if your a FIFO worker?

71 months ago

Hi Jay, Contact most employment agencies Google for this info under Australian employment agencies. or www.careers.com or www.jobs.com
Before you go down this path contact your nearest Australian Consulate or Embassy in relation to a work visa. If I were you, I would apply for a work visa and come out here and work for 6 months to a year and if you like it, you apply for residency status. While you are on your work visa you could look around and find the type of work you want.
Be aware, you will be required to fund your own health and medical cost. Once you have residency status you can access the public health system which is mostly free.
I always urge people to research a little about this country. It is not as Steve Irwin (the Crocodile Hunter) or Paul Hogan (Crocodile Dundee) portrayed us.
We are a modern, democratic society with a very relaxed lifestyle.
We are a very, very rich nation in wealth and resources, both agricultural and minerals. We are experiencing dramatic growth in all our industries across the board and this is why we encourage trades and professional people from abroad to consider this country. Where as most of the world at the moment is in recession or experiencing zero growth, Australia, will still have a two and a half percent annual growth even in these tough times
Good luck, contact me again if you need help.
Regards,
Frontline Fred.

71 months ago

Hi Josh, Contact your local TAFE and inquire as to what electrical courses they offer.
Contact a sales rep from Allen Bradley or Siemens or Klockner Moller in relation to PLC's. They will help you and steer you in the right direction as far as learning this technology and I strongly urge you to take it on.
Find a Tafe that teaches cable jointing or HV terminations or even a private company willing to teach you or, point you in the right direction. Make sure you stay where you are and finish your trade in the field you are in; this is most important.
Regards,
Frontline Fred

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

Josh, to an extent I do agree with you TAFE instructor; I am a former instructor myself. If you feel yourself you can handle the additional tuition I would probably consider it. Are attending block release at Tafe or, are you attending evening class? This would have a bearing on completing another course for you would be spending additional evenings at TAFE.
As far as shift work is concerned, normally day shift pays less, Afternoon shift may attract an extra 15% and night shift an extra 25%. I think now days there are generally only two shifts; day shift and night shift both of 12 hour durations and as a FIFO you would be expected to do rotatioal (change) shifts at the end of your FIFO period.
Because your on rotational shift work the pay is worked out on an annual basis although some mines may allow you to work a set shift and this is where the variance in pay arises.
Frontline Fred.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

Bujji, look at mining jobs Australia (google) also careers.com jobsjobsjobs.com or you can google mining jobs Western Australia.
You will have to have a medical examination but the mining company will tell you all about this if you are successful with an interview.
You will have to have a generic induction card as well. You can find instructors for these cards in the careers section of the Saturday edition of the Brisbane Courier Mail in the training and careers guide section, but again, wait until you gain an interview first so you are not wasting your money. Good luck,
Frontline.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.