ex convicts looking for employment in the electronic field

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (27)

Timothy in San Antonio, TX

95 months ago

I'm about to graduate from a tech school and already have been turned down for employment because of my background. I committed my crime over 12 years ago and did my time. I'm trying to start a new life on the right track and take care of my 3 kids and wife.Are there companies out there that hire ex cons in the electronic work field. The ony difference between me and alot of people is that i got caught.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Sandra in Dallas, TX

94 months ago

so would you like to elaborate on the results? I am a recruiter that hires technical people for troubleshooting to component level.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

alan Howard in San Jose, California

91 months ago

cosiderig the non-ecomony that is going to continue indefinatly I would strong recomment something easy to get into and stable.Both Fire and burglar alarms business.If your employer can bonded you,they would care about anything more unless ofcourse you were in for arson or bankrobbery.
They pay little but who doesn't these days. The wealthy are buying more and more of these services daily so the business on high end residental in still growning.
I would try ADT to stttart with back east they were the defacto standard in the industry for 50 years.Whatever you learned inschool will be more than sufficient to qualify for a job there.
alan

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Hoggin512 in Austin, Texas

79 months ago

Shoot for a small and I mean small company! Make sure your skill set is very sharp! Always be truthful and tell them the whole truth. Usually, a felon can find a job 10 years after the conviction date. Keep your head up and stay hungry & focused! You will probably start at the bottom which would enable them to gain your trust...so don't go into this asking for a high salary. When you get hired, arrive everyday on time and execute!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ashalah in Lewisville, Texas

67 months ago

My man and I just moved to a suburb outside of Dallas, TX. I am a Preschool Teacher and he is unemployed. He is having a big problem finding a job and it is starting to have a toll on our relationship. He is an ex-convict who committed his crime and did his time when he was 18 and he is now 31. If someone seems to run across this message and has any hope for our tomorrow, please contact me: lovely_life_of_ash@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Joey B in Inkster, Michigan

66 months ago

I know your dilemma. I worked as a product support technician for 11yrs at one of the Big 3 automotive companies. I ended up getting convicted for something they thought I was going to do and did 3yrs in prison. Now that Im out, everyone looks at me like I have the plague. Looks like i have a long roard ahead of me.

Joey B.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

pgatlas02@aol.com in Salt Lake City, Utah

66 months ago

Sandra in Dallas, TX said: so would you like to elaborate on the results? I am a recruiter that hires technical people for troubleshooting to component level.

hello my name is peter and i have 4 dui that happened about 13 years ago i am working for expungment will that make a difference in getting employed

Metalprep25 in Katy, Texas

56 months ago

Well If there is anybody out there that is willing to hire somebody with felonies please feel free to email me at Jalsup25@yahoo.com so that I may send my resume......I am a very hardworking highly motivated to succeed in life I just need the chance to thrive. I do believe that my services, no matter what they need to be, will be above and beyond any expectations any employer might have of me. Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Metalprep25 in Katy, Texas

56 months ago

see thats the exact reason most convicts reoffend and go back to jail is ignorant idiots such as yourself that represses them back to doing what is it that puts them in jail in the first place. So may I be the first to congratulate u on destroying lives.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

MOTHER OF A EX FELLON in San Antonio, Texas

56 months ago

LET THEM WORK. IF THEY DON'T WHAT IS THE ALTERNATIVE? WE ALL LOSE AND THE CIRCLE STARTS ALL OVER AGAIN. LET THEM WORK!!!! MAKE IT AVAILABLE. THEY DID THEIR PART NO YOU DO YOURS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

benjamin cross in Oakley, California

56 months ago

let them work. everyone deserves a second chance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jason in Katy, Texas

56 months ago

MOTHER OF A EX FELLON in San Antonio, Texas said: LET THEM WORK. IF THEY DON'T WHAT IS THE ALTERNATIVE? WE ALL LOSE AND THE CIRCLE STARTS ALL OVER AGAIN. LET THEM WORK!!!! MAKE IT AVAILABLE. THEY DID THEIR PART NO YOU DO YOURS

Maam let me be the first to thank you....I served my time and now I want to be a productive member of society as well as family but if unable to find legal ways to make a living how am I to do this......Hence movie Jack and Jane lol they robbed to survive......so if there is any employers willing to hire a felon please feel free to email me at Jalsup25@yaho.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Nicole Mosley in Newport News, Virginia

55 months ago

Is there any companies who will hire a recent felon with years of electronics experience. If so please please contact me

jenn in Katy, Texas

54 months ago

To all the people who don't believe that ex felons and cons deserve another chance...your wrong..just because they made stupid choices in their past doesn't mean that their future should be damned..everyone makes mistakes..some more serious than others...put your self in someone else's shoes before criticizing and imagine how hard life would be in their position!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Simongeezy214 in Dallas, Texas

52 months ago

Yeah man that's cold how the "discriminate" against us. I'm not tryin to be funny or anything but I'm 22 and have 2 felonies and I as I'm reading about these other dudes having the same difficulties as I am and to hear that they're stories are VERY similar to mine and they're still have trouble. Man that's rough. It seems every where I go they do background checks. Even Wal-Mart they sent me back my background check. What am I left to do. I can handle a few rejections but after a while it gets frustrating. I've had been be straight and say I'm sorry you have felonies we can't hire you.

Texfamilyman in Houston, Texas

52 months ago

Please let me know of any job openings for a 3rd degree felony in Houston. Im a very hard dedicated worker who just needs a second chance to support a family. Email me at texfamilyman@yahoo.com
I only wish for serious replys

dick in Phoenix, Arizona

50 months ago

Ashalah in Lewisville, Texas said: My man and I just moved to a suburb outside of Dallas, TX. I am a Preschool Teacher and he is unemployed. He is having a big problem finding a job and it is starting to have a toll on our relationship. He is an ex-convict who committed his crime and did his time when he was 18 and he is now 31. If someone seems to run across this message and has any hope for our tomorrow, please contact me: lovely_life_of_ash@yahoo.com

I suggest a professional resume writer and some coaching on the interview skills. He might offer tow work free for a few weeks to prove himself.Few employers can refuse the offer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tere in Mansfield, Texas

49 months ago

Please take a look a our opportunity site at www.teremasson.Ambitenergy.biz you may also take a look at why it works at www.teremasson.whyambitworks.com

khan3378 in Breaux Bridge, Louisiana

49 months ago

Sandra in Dallas, TX said: so would you like to elaborate on the results? I am a recruiter that hires technical people for troubleshooting to component level.

MS SANDRA,

MY NAME IS DEBONY LEWIS AND I'M SOMEWHAT IN THE SAME BOAT. I'M NOT A CONVICTED FELON HOWEVER I HAVE A AAS DEGREE IN ELECTRONICS AND COMPUTER ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGY AND CANT SEEM TO FIND A JOB HERE IN THE STATE OF LOUISIANA. I'VE BEEN LOOKING TO TRANSFER TO TEXAS YET I NEED A JOB FIRST. DO YOU KNOW OF ANY COMPANIES THAT WOULD BE WILLING TO HIRE A FEMALE IN THIS FIELD?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rubieny in Newark, New Jersey

41 months ago

Timothy in San Antonio, TX said: I'm about to graduate from a tech school and already have been turned down for employment because of my background. I committed my crime over 12 years ago and did my time. I'm trying to start a new life on the right track and take care of my 3 kids and wife.Are there companies out there that hire ex cons in the electronic work field. The ony difference between me and alot of people is that i got caught.

I am going through the same too...it's why I am now a student and not working anymore.
Education:
Axia College at University of Phoenix Jersey City, New Jersey
Associate Degree in Foundations of Business February, 2010-current

Nicholas Maldarelli Training Center Jamaica, New York
4 years Sheet Metal Apprenticeship Program April, 1999 – June, 2003

Training in Blueprint Reading, CAD, Computers, Control Work, Duct Erecting, Drafting, HVAC, Fabrication, Hoisting & Rigging, Layout, Math, NEMI, Service Work, Shop Work, Testing and Balancing, Welding

New York District Council of Carpenters New York, New York
Labor Technical College April, 1999
Pre-Apprentice Certificate

Successfully completed a 17-week program in construction and environmental remediation

Iowa Central Community College Fort Dodge, Iowa G.E.D. | Diploma October, 1995 | June, 1996

Experience:
C W Sheet Metal Inc.

mark in Shalimar, Florida

32 months ago

im not an ex-con but I do have a felony. I am currently enrolled in an electronics technician course and am having thoughts of switching to something else because I have been hearing that in this line of work most companies wont hire anybody with felonies. I am wondering is this true or is there a good job market out there, in this line of work, for a person trying to better their life? I was involved in a fight witch I dont even think should be a felony when i was just defending myself!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

michael wilson in Dallas, Texas

32 months ago

im certified soilder and eletronics assebler.. in dallas x convict looking for work last convition 04

Danny in Austin, Texas

32 months ago

Metalprep25 in Katy, Texas said: Well If there is anybody out there that is willing to hire somebody with felonies please feel free to email me at Jalsup25@yahoo.com so that I may send my resume......I am a very hardworking highly motivated to succeed in life I just need the chance to thrive. I do believe that my services, no matter what they need to be, will be above and beyond any expectations any employer might have of me. Thank you!

While I absolutely hear your willingness to do anything but you need to do a couple of things first. Look at the skills you have.While it's tempting to say "I can do anything", there's somewhere that you really shine. Emphasize that. Something that you offer that nobody or at least very few do.In hard times especially you have to stand out from the pack. Maybe you worked with someone who taught you a special skill. Think about what you bring to their workplace that they need. Maybe an aspect of your character.Try actually talking to potential employer in addition to just sending resumes. Think about how you are going to find a way to not just be another resume among hundreds. Find a way to show them why they should hire you instead of anyone else.

Danny in Austin, Texas

32 months ago

mark in Shalimar, Florida said: im not an ex-con but I do have a felony. I am currently enrolled in an electronics technician course and am having thoughts of switching to something else because I have been hearing that in this line of work most companies wont hire anybody with felonies. I am wondering is this true or is there a good job market out there, in this line of work, for a person trying to better their life? I was involved in a fight witch I dont even think should be a felony when i was just defending myself!

Look at small companies or shops. Large companies with policies and human resource departments have rigid rules, small companies especially ones where the owner is right there are far more flexible. Electronics covers a lot of territory and once you finish school you'll have a solid foundation for many areas.A small even three or four person company where you are actually talking with the owner can be a good way to break into the business. Don't forget your teachers too. They've been out there, they may have some leads too.

Recent in Houston, Texas

31 months ago

I m a convicted sex offender only I did offend anyone some images were found on my computer that my ex turned me in for when we split. Before this I had a great job I was in school and heading in a direction now I have nothing but turn downs from employers no job no money and really no hope. Everyone says that in seven years it will come off my record but what do I do until then. No one will hire me. If anyone has any ideas please respond

Recent in Houston, Texas

31 months ago

Sorry that should have said I didnt offend

mporchia91

17 months ago

All of you all live in texas i just recently moved from there and i have a background the electronics field is booming up there just got to get in contact with your nearest representatives
And ask for some support they will help. I guess i had the advantage because i just graduated with my associates degree in electonics engineering. Before i left i had companies call me left and right i now live here in florida where i guess my luck ran out . But im still looking to get my repitation back on the right track, just got to have faith and dont forget what you know how to do. Everything you know how to do can be used to better yourself believe it or not. I have a private small business called the L.E. REPAIRMAN working locally in the jacksonville area on my own. Im just doing this until i can find a little legit paying job, and to keep my knowledge up to part. I repair anything that has to do with voltage, current, resistance, circuits from washer and dryers phones radios to wiring cars fixing cars. My favorite thing to do is solder so whenever the chance come again i cant wait...

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.