Interview for an Environmental Scientist

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

MeaganK in Chattanooga, Tennessee

34 months ago

I am an environmental science major working on a project for my scientific writing class. If a qualified person would like to respond, it would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

1.WHAT ACADEMIC JOURNALS DO YOU READ?

2.WHAT IS THE NATURE AND EXTENT OF THE WRITING AND RESEARCH THAT YOU EITHER DID IN GRADUATE SCHOOL OR DO NOW AS A SCIENTIST?

3.DO YOU ATTEND OR PRESENT AT COLLOQUIUMS OR CONFERENCES IN YOUR FIELD?

4. WHAT WAS YOUR MAJOR AND MINOR IN COLLEGE? AND HOW DID THIS HELP YOU GET YOU WHERE YOU ARE TODAY?

5. WHAT WOULD BE YOUR DREAM JOB? OR IF YOU ARE DOING IT, WHAT IS IT YOU DO?

6. WHAT DOES A TYPICAL DAY CONSIST OF FOR YOU?

7. I'M TERRIBLE AT MATH, HOW MUCH OF IT WOULD I BE USING IN THE FIELD?

8. IS IT IMPORTANT TO GET A MASTER'S DEGREE?

9. WHAT WAS YOUR FAVORITE CLASS IN COLLEGE THAT HELPED YOU THE MOST IN YOUR CAREER?

10. WHAT IS THE ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE CAREER LIKE WHERE YOU LIVE? IS IT IN DEMAND?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

enviroscientist in Asheville, North Carolina

30 months ago

Hi Meagan,

I worked for a consulting firm for a few years in Maryland while getting my masters of science in environmental mgmt. The economy has knocked the wind out of the environmental field like many other careers that require a lot of education to pursue. Environmental regulation is driven by the government so many jobs are in the state government which does the enforcement or with consulting firms that work for the governments and also with industry. The governments are all broke right now and are trying hard to figure how not to layoff teachers and firemen so environmental scientists are not on their hiring list much. Lots of consulting firms are struggling to get by too. It looks like a very tough time to start out in the field to me.
I was working in the hazardous waste division of a big consulting firm and did whatever they needed a warm body to go do so went on some construction sites and geological studies too but mostly worked on Phase I & II ESAs. I don't know if there is as much demand for ESAs in this dead commercial real estate market as there used to be.
In Maryland, right before the economic crash an entry level gig like that would pay in the mid 30's to 40K but remember it's a very expensive area to live so watch that when looking at jobs. About four years ago when I moved to NE TN I tried very hard to get on with the state's DEC in my area, there was only one posted entry position in the last four years. It was related to storm water mgmt. ponds for construction projects. paid about 29K. I had an hour and a half interview and they were impressed with the projects I had worked on but they gave it to someone else. I have since moved to a more prosperous area.
Check with TVA and consulting firms local to you and ask them what jobs may exist. They will give you the most current info on the job market.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

andy_mudvane in Isulan, Philippines

24 months ago

I am AJ, a BS Environmental Science graduate...I would like to apply in the fire bureau as fire a firefighter...How can my degree in college could help the fire bureau? pls reply with the best answer to have...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.