I want to become an Esthetician, but...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Bunny in New York, New York

32 months ago

I have some questions in regards to which school is better (NYC Area here):

Atelier VS Aveda - which is better and why.

-Please include if you know whether the school pays full financial aid tuition or not
-Does Aveda teach you how to do chemical peels and use microdermabrasion machines? Or is it just purely holistic?
-Which school teaches more?
-Is Atelier holistic at all?

Any input from former and current estheticians would be GREATLY appreciated! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bunny in New York, New York

32 months ago

Anyone out there? :(

gracerileypublishing in Tampa, Florida

31 months ago

Aveda in general is more natural and does not normally do microderms or electrical machines. With that said, Aveda has some products that smell so great that in the spa setting it is very relaxing. I've had many Aveda facials and massages, and I have yet to be disappointed.

www.grace.rileyskintherapy.net
Esthetician & Author

gigi in Durham, North Carolina

31 months ago

I recently graduated from Aveda. I absolutely loved everything I learned there but it is a bit pricey compared to community college. They didnt teach microderm and from what it seems like in NC the only way to get that training is with a CE course after you graduate. They did teach me their version of microderm which is alot safer and healthier for the skin. We also did alot of hands on with high frequency, utilizing woods lamp, etc. We learned about and had hands on training with chemical peels (enzymes, alphas, betas, glycolics)as well. You learn diff. massage techniques and they really nurture your education experience. I definately recommend them over a community college due to the fact of them preparing you for state board and exactly everything you need to pass the exams. It is intensive...4 months (Tues.-Sat.) vs. a year at a communtiy college or 6 months at Miller Motte. They do train you on their product line exclusively, but the product is great quality compared to the basics of what other schools use. They also use pivot point which is easier to understand than the Miladys version. My instructors were phenomenal and I have heard horror stories of teachers at some of the other schools. I have noticed that skin care trends are leaning more towards a holistic approach and are becoming more ingredient conscious as well. Not only is the school nationally recognized but if you ever plan to go out of state it looks better than a community college on your resume. The only other school I would have chosen above Aveda would have been Marinello and that is because they have a CIDESCO certification. I didn't attend them because there is not a school close enough to me to attend and I'm married. Beware of any school that guarantees employment after graduation! I'm rambling now, but yeah if you go to Aveda be sure to ask plenty of questions, be sure to ask for a breakdown of what comes in your kit, and if you can-talk to the teachers directly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

bkgirl in Brooklyn, New York

31 months ago

Went to aveda. They have natural alternatives to peels and microderms. The teachers are knowledgeable enough to.teach you about their experiences with procedures. Plus everywhere is different; you will learn which lines use what peeled. Different vendor reps show up and have tutorials. Pca included .
clinic is intense and mirrors the nyc spa experience. Aveda nyc is not Aveda in other places. You will learn how to.get a good job and work in the hectic city pace. I don't recall learning most of the Aveda lifestyle stuff outlined in the binders they gave us.

Atelier is known an excellent school as well. Only thing grads have said is that the founder Annette is...Annette.

A license is good to get you through the door. You will learn from experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jeff B in Dallas, Texas

31 months ago

After over 50 years working in the esthetic/cosmetic industry, if I could only give piece of advice to people interested in attending schools for a career, I would recommend all students to read a book called: "How to Become a Really Good Pain In The Ass -- A critical thinker's Guide to asking the right questions." This is especially important if your desire is to have a clinical approach.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

bkgirl in Brooklyn, New York

31 months ago

Oh yes. Aveda was a full ride pell and loans. Atelier may also offer as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.