Are Field Service Engineer job opportunities growing or declining?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most Field Service Engineer opportunities?

Reply - Report abuse

Zakhar Sedletskiy in Petropavl, Kazakstan

62 months ago

Here is in Russia Staff famine, (good staff holding 3 and more job exp. )

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

drod0886 in Decatur, Georgia

51 months ago

Field service engineering jobs should increase as technology becomes more advanced. I'll give you my example.

I have an interview with a company that makes automated specimen processing units. Before these machines came out lab techs would have to do some tedious and repetitive work wasting staff resources. So this new machine replaces the many hours that would be wasted doing such tasks. While you eliminated a few jobs with the machine, you also added a new job because they need a person to maintain the machine. That's where Field Service Engineers come in. This trend should continue as long technology keeps improving.

The best places to look for these kind of jobs are in cities that have major airports like Atlanta, Dallas, Chicago, ect. Since traveling will be a big part of the job.

FE in Orlando

47 months ago

I think the position of FE in the medical imagaing industry is undergoing a transistion and quite possibly a decline. Systems today are being built with new manufacturing processes and technologies. Original Equipment Manufacturers, or OEMs, are utilizing surface mount technology where the individual components are placed on the surface of the circuit board and passed through a solder bath to construct the circuit boards. Manufacturing functions are outsourced to smaller company's which results in lower costs without sacrificing quality contorl. These processes have drastically cut the costs to manufacturers and therefore enhance profit margains. The downside to this is that circuit boards are so cheap, it costs more to repair them than it is to make them. Troubleshooting used to require in depth circuit knowledge and fault analysis. This is no longer the case. The engineer no longer needs to know how to signal trace to the component level and therefore the skill level required for the job isn't as high as it once was. Troubleshooting these days is mostly by board swapping and seeing what works. This translates into shorter training cycles and more bodies hitting the streets for fewer positions. Simple economic laws of supply and demand kick in and I think you get the picture. I am somewhat pensive towards future growth for the position.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.