Cant Pass the NY Life and Health exam Study problems Focus problems and discipline problems..... Anyone else have these?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 114)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Rob in East Orange, New Jersey

87 months ago

As stated, Im trying to get certified for NYS Life health accident and insurance and work for Axa advisors, only problem is that I am taking too long, I havent spoke to my hiring manager in a few months and promised him I would pass the test, its just taking a little long due to other matters in my life.

I am young, just turned 21, and there are plenty of distractions going on in my life right now and I just cant focus on studying the materials.....

I see myself succeeding at the job but just cant force myself to stay put,stick it out and study, maybe I have ADD !

Did any of you guys have trouble? I only failed once by 15 pts and This was back in March. When i failed that exam, I studied maybe 8 hours total. So obviously I have the potential to pass if the time is put in, But do you think its natural that I am having these problems? Did you?

Thanks and any input/comments/advice appreciated : )

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

--- in East Orange, New Jersey

84 months ago

Hey, its me, Im sorry i havent responded, But you are absolutely right. I did exactly what you just explained and passed my LAH Exam.

Right now, as we speak, I am studying for my Series 7 exam. The big one.

It is the most hyped up / difficult exam of the 3. However, The material is coming naturally to me and much more interesting than the LAH Material.

With that being said, It should be feasible for me to retain the information and pass the test. If i dont, ill have to wait 1 month for the next 2 tries and 6 months, on the 3rd try.

By that time, My firm will have abandoned me , haha. So this is serious.

I read in the manual that there is a 90 day non commission training period. Is this for FA's? or Brokers? I think its for brokers bc it has never come up in conversation.....

I think i have my head on straight for the series 7, i know what it takes, just need to stay focused and in the "groove" to remain focused and build a studying rhythm.

For anyone else taking these exams, Its about consistency and building a set method of study and sticking w/ it. The best thing to do is just listen to STC (training corp.)

Thanks for the replies! Stay tuned!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gina in New Hyde Park, New York

78 months ago

--- in East Orange, New Jersey said: Hey, its me, Im sorry i havent responded, But you are absolutely right. I did exactly what you just explained and passed my LAH Exam.

Right now, as we speak, I am studying for my Series 7 exam. The big one.

It is the most hyped up / difficult exam of the 3. However, The material is coming naturally to me and much more interesting than the LAH Material.

With that being said, It should be feasible for me to retain the information and pass the test. If i dont, ill have to wait 1 month for the next 2 tries and 6 months, on the 3rd try.

By that time, My firm will have abandoned me , haha. So this is serious.

I read in the manual that there is a 90 day non commission training period. Is this for FA's? or Brokers? I think its for brokers bc it has never come up in conversation.....

I think i have my head on straight for the series 7, i know what it takes, just need to stay focused and in the "groove" to remain focused and build a studying rhythm.

For anyone else taking these exams, Its about consistency and building a set method of study and sticking w/ it. The best thing to do is just listen to STC (training corp.)

Thanks for the replies! Stay tuned!

Hey Rob,

I'm in the same boat you were in last year, with an opportunity with AXA Advisors. Just wondering what the first few months has been liek for you? How difficult was the HAL exam? What is your typical week like? What about commissions? When did you begin to earn them? I'm a little stressed since I don't knwo anything about the position really. any thoughts on this?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Max

78 months ago

T-Diddy in Racine, Wisconsin said: Just wanted to let you all have a little advice from a FA.... First of all, never call yourself a Financial Adviser because it sounds like a car salesman, second if you are having any kind of trouble with the life and health, than just get ready for the 7, it is at least 10 times harder. I agree with c money with this one. If you had problems with the L and H than another job is probably for you. I scored a 98 on the L and H, and only a 76 on the 7 both first time testing. I am not saying I am good but I put MANY hours studying, I even train people for money to pass both tests.

Best of Luck

T Diddy

I have a study guide if anyone is interested. Not trying to sel, just offer help because I know it can be stressful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Max

77 months ago

Yes, I took the LAH in 1998 and it wasn't bad, just a bit dry in my opinion. And, since I was new to the business it was a bit foreign to me. The study guide I created (and others coming soon for other exams) for life insurance is an enhanced visual guide, not just text. I am sure you will do either way since you have taken other exams thougj.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Max

77 months ago

You can learn more about the study guides at www.maxwisepublications.com. It is just life insurance now, but an easier way to learn. Best of luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

adam34777 in fort lauderdale, Florida

76 months ago

Max said: I have a study guide if anyone is interested. Not trying to sel, just offer help because I know it can be stressful.

Hey T-Diddy... you said that you have a study guide for the series 7. did you take the STC course or did you do it alone?

thanks Adam

75 months ago

I'm workign with AXA Advisors and just passed my LAH exam this weekend. How exhausting! What I did learn is repetition owrks best for me. Meaning I took an online course, bought the book, read each chapter to my self into a digital voice recorder and played it back when I was on my way to work, getting ready to go to work, or especially on my way to the PSI exam. It worked, because I got and 83%! on to the Series 7! One owr dof advice, it def takes a great deal of effort to pass this exam. read, understand what your reading (I looked up definitions etc online at investorwords.com while I was reading each chapter). It is easier to put it all together if you know what it means! good luck everyone!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Enrico in Yokosuka, Japan

75 months ago

Gina in New Hyde Park, New York said: I'm workign with AXA Advisors and just passed my LAH exam this weekend. How exhausting! What I did learn is repetition owrks best for me. Meaning I took an online course, bought the book, read each chapter to my self into a digital voice recorder and played it back when I was on my way to work, getting ready to go to work, or especially on my way to the PSI exam. It worked, because I got and 83%! on to the Series 7! One owr dof advice, it def takes a great deal of effort to pass this exam. read, understand what your reading (I looked up definitions etc online at investorwords.com while I was reading each chapter). It is easier to put it all together if you know what it means! good luck everyone!

Gina,

How is your experience in AXA? I have heard a combination of stories, I would like the opinion of someone of is a recent hire. I have an interview next month, but would like to evaluate my options. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

I have only been workign with them since March of this year, but so far, my experience has been good. I also suggest you do some research ont he organization as a whole to see they are an A rated compnay, with opportunites globally. They offer a very good benefit package and lots of perks. Do your homeowrk, then make a decision. If there is any company I would like to "have my back" it would be AXA.

Good Luck to you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Vai in New York, New York

73 months ago

Gina in New Hyde Park, New York said: I have only been workign with them since March of this year, but so far, my experience has been good. I also suggest you do some research ont he organization as a whole to see they are an A rated compnay, with opportunites globally. They offer a very good benefit package and lots of perks. Do your homeowrk, then make a decision. If there is any company I would like to "have my back" it would be AXA.

Good Luck to you!

Hey Gina,
I actually have an interview at AXA for a Financial Advisor/Consultant position and I was wondering if you could give me a better idea of what that entails and your experience there?

james in Brooklyn, New York

73 months ago

Max said: I have a study guide if anyone is interested. Not trying to sel, just offer help because I know it can be stressful.

hi can you please help me with the material for the life and health exam??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Eric in Mount Vernon, New York

72 months ago

HI I am thinking about thaking the LAH class and test only because there is a great job opp for me to look into. however I am not really sure what I can do with the License one I pass the test.

lbigirl75 in Riverside, New Jersey

71 months ago

I am looking into being a Broker with Ameriprise but they want you to pay upfron fees for licensing. Wich I do not have. Is there any companies or Banks that anyone you may know are willing to pay for your licensing up front for Series 7? lmnotte@gmail.com

Mellow Yellow in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania

70 months ago

I live in PA and just passed the Life & Health exam today on the first try with a 78. I used the Kaplan materials, and took a 3 day in class review. I would have to say the 3 day class review did nothing for me. I just read the book and then took every single multiple choice question on the CD, Book and workbook. I studied very hard for about two weeks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

JR-C in Newark, New Jersey

67 months ago

Hi Max, I have taken the LAH exam 5 times passing the general but continue to fall the State, what am I not getting, maybe your study guide will help me. How can I get a copy.

Elaine in New York, New York

66 months ago

Could you please please send me that study guide if you still have it?? Thanks SO much!
teashworth@gmail.com

chrisnbflo in Buffalo, New York

66 months ago

I just took the LAH yesterday and like most of you, I too have a position at AXA. I missed passing by 6 questions to pass and my hiring manager said not to worry. However, the book they gave me and the online course made sense and I felt like I had a real grasp of the info. But there was stuff on yesterdays test that I had never seen before and couldn't find last night in the book. I was told thhat it depends which source u use to study. Any thoughts.

Nick in Staten Island, New York

65 months ago

Hey what's up everyone. I was told to use STC as my prep course before taking the NY L&H. I got a 91 on the preliminary exam that STC requires in order to receive the certificate which states that you've completed your 40 hour course. I felt pretty confident, then I took a look at a friend's Kaplan review book about 2 days before and it was TOTALLY different. The vocabulary was more advanced, and the end-of-chapter quizzes and practice exam was WAY harder. I took my actual exam today and failed with a 65. Had I not thought to look at the Kaplan review book, I probably would have bombed the test. To anyone who is told to use STC, DON'T. Spend the extra money and use Kaplan because you'll be fully prepared when you sit for the exam. I plan on taking the test again this Monday and now that I know the correct materials to study, I am 100% sure that I'll pass with flying colors.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

angiolena in New Jersey

64 months ago

Any help on passing the NJ Life and Health Insurance Exam . I failed by 1 question on the State finals. The tests to qualify for the State final I passed with flying colors. Some off the questions on the exam I cannot find in my book. What is the time in LTC , when the bed is not being used due to a weekend leave or a day away called ? What is it called when a bank hides insurance claims to look like they are doing better than they are ? I cannot find the answers anywhere. HELP !

angiolena in New Jersey

62 months ago

Could anyone tell me where to find a tudor or a day class for passing my NJ Life and Health Insurance Exam ?

angiolena in New Jersey

62 months ago

JR-C in Newark, New Jersey said: Hi Max, I have taken the LAH exam 5 times passing the general but continue to fall the State, what am I not getting, maybe your study guide will help me. How can I get a copy.

Max , I am trying to pass the Nj Life and Health Insurance did you pass ? Also do you know of any day classes or Tudors?

Nat in Stony Point, New York

62 months ago

IT will be really helpful if you could share that study guide. Also anyone interested in studying?

angiolena in New Jersey

62 months ago

Max, I need a study guide for NJ life and Health Insurance Exam. I failed the state test but passed the preliminary tests with flying colors. Do you have NJ and are the guides updated for the current laws and regulations on the exam ?

Cherry in Bensalem, Pennsylvania

61 months ago

Going for my LAH test tomorrow morning and am super nervous. Any advice? Unfortunately I only had 3 weeks to study...2 weeks of this time I was away on vacation and NYL knew about it. I've studied, but nothing's sticking, there just wasn't enough time. I've done all the multiple choice questions at each end of the unit and haven't gotten less than 70% of the questions in each section right. Are the questions in the Kaplan book similar to the real test?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mark in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

60 months ago

If you can't pass those exams then I would look for another job. Those exams are very easy compared to security licenses etc, and passing the exams are by far the easiest part of the job. If you can't work hard enough to pass the exam you'll never work hard enough to survive the business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa Johnson in League City, Texas

59 months ago

The Life and Health exam is not any fun. I have taken it four times lots of studying and tears. I want to pass so bad I am lost don't know what to do at this point. O'h by the way I also took the class with Kaplan if youn happen to know any Tutors out there let me know. Thanks Lisa

angiolena in New Jersey

59 months ago

I am pregnant again and praying I can pass it before Christmas. Go to www.hoopaddict.com and pray to pass. Every little bit counts ! I am so happy to hear from someone who is having as much trouble as me. I thought I was the only one. I was so depressed I gave up the last three months . You gave me incentive to get started again. I hope you can pass ! Keep me posted ! My email is angelinadiantonio@hotmail.com .

Ron in Liverpool, New York

59 months ago

I will take a copy of the L&H study guide if you have it?

angiolena in New Jersey

59 months ago

I need a study guide for NJ. Also how current is it? I need the updated laws and regulations.

Lisa Johnson in Crosby, Texas

59 months ago

angiolena in New Jersey said: I am pregnant again and praying I can pass it before Christmas. Go to www.hoopaddict.com and pray to pass. Every little bit counts ! I am so happy to hear from someone who is having as much trouble as me. I thought I was the only one. I was so depressed I gave up the last three months . You gave me incentive to get started again. I hope you can pass ! Keep me posted ! My email is angelinadiantonio@hotmail.com .

Sandy Chau in Edison, New Jersey

58 months ago

Could you please please send me that study guide for State of New Jersey Life insurance, I passed the general parts twice but failed on part of NJ if you still have it?? Thanks SO much!
sandychau88@gmail.com

angiolena in New Jersey

58 months ago

I need it also ! I cannot seem to pass the law parts. I passed the general the other half I failed.

Indole in Marietta, Georgia

58 months ago

What does your employer think of you if you've failed the Life and Health exams twice?

helene in Doylestown, Pennsylvania

57 months ago

Nick,

I would like to know if you passed the Life and Health exam with the Kaplan materials.

Helene

angiolena in New Jersey

57 months ago

No ,I missed by 2 questions. It seems Kaplan and other companies need to focus on questions that would be on the test. Also update the laws of each State daily with an email. After paying all the money these companies should be on the ball !

57 months ago

I am sorry to hear that. I thought I was hearing from Nick in Staten Island. Are you him?

angiolena in New Jersey

57 months ago

No , I am angiolena from New jersey. I bought the Kaplan study guide thinking it was one of the best. I am very disappointed. I was told both times I failed it was because of the different laws changing and my study guides not being up grated.

angiolena in New Jersey

57 months ago

Someone told me about a study group at King of Prussia . I think it is an all day class to prep you for the exam.I didn't look into it because I need it for NJ. Google it and try to find it .

57 months ago

Thank you for letting me know. I also heard they were one of the best. I know someone who is taking the test the second time around and he is using A.D. Banker material. He just ordered the book and cd. He told me the material is just like that on the test. He is taking the test this week. I can get back to you and let you know if he passed.

angiolena in New Jersey

57 months ago

That would be great ! I need to pass mine by January or I have to start all over. I cannot afford to start over. I will look forward to hearing from you. Thanks !

57 months ago

It is a 2 day course, 8-5 pm each day. I was told by one person I interviewed with to take this Russ Financial course and it will teach you how to pass the exam. I was supposed to take it yesterday and today, but didn't feel comfortable attending a cram session like that. A.D. Banker also offers these courses. There is a two day course in Fairfield, NJ this Monday and Tuesday if you want to attend. Here is the link to the information. www.adbanker.com/examPrepInsClassroom.aspx?ProdType=LifeHealth&CTCD=FF&TypeID=1

Someone I know who is taking the Life and Health exam for the second time ordered the A.D. Banker book and cd. He said the material is just like what is on the exam. He is also attending the A.D. Banker two day course on Monday and Tuesday just in case he has any additional questions and taking the course this week.

57 months ago

Sorry I repeated myself somewhat in the second message. I just realized that.

angiolena in New Jersey

57 months ago

Thanks so much ! I will let you know what happens !

57 months ago

You are very welcome.

Suzanne in Middleport, New York

57 months ago

Lisa Johnson in League City, Texas said: The Life and Health exam is not any fun. I have taken it four times lots of studying and tears. I want to pass so bad I am lost don't know what to do at this point. O'h by the way I also took the class with Kaplan if youn happen to know any Tutors out there let me know. Thanks Lisa

Lisa,
I took the online course with license2go.com. It helped me immensley. I passed the course, the proctor exam and just recently took the state exam. I passed the first try. There were maybe 4 questions on the exam that were no where in my course study material. The test itself, I thought was pretty easy. Best of luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

angiolena in New Jersey

57 months ago

Thanks so much. I am a stay at home mom and we are so in debt. I have been trying to pass the test for almost a year. I gave up the last 6 months and didn't even look at the book I was so depressed. I am pregnant again and need to pass in January. That is when I passed the qualifying exams. I have asked for help all year with no answers. Thanks to you and Helen I have hope again. Thanks so much. I will keep you posted !

57 months ago

You are very welcome. I am glad you have hope again. I would find out the changing laws in your state first just in case. Hearing from the state themselves will make you 100% sure you are prepared. You might try to contact your prometrics center or contact the governor of the state of new jersey. These are the laws of the state and they have them. You said that is why you did not pass last time. I wish you very well with everything.

angiolena in New Jersey

57 months ago

Thanks , I will !

CP in Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania

55 months ago

Hello I just took the PA life accident and health exam for the second time and failed by 2 questions. Does anyone have any advice or a study guide they could send me? kirby73@hotmail.com
Also how many times can you take the exam? I have to admit I am getting really discouraged because I know that I am smart but for some reason I get in there and choke.

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.