Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

FlyGirl in La Center, Washington

88 months ago

HORIZON AIRLINES BENEFITS

-100% paid benefits for the flight attendant (medical,
dental, etc.), inexpensive benefits for the family if
you wish to add them to your policy.
-Free travel anywhere Horizon/Alaska flys for you and
your family (which includes Hawaii and Mexico)
-Perks such as hotel discounts, car rental discounts,
amusement park discounts, cruiseline discounts
-Once you "get off" reserve, you are able to bid out
your schedule, which means you can work when you want
to
-Paid training in Portland, Oregon

HOW TO DRESS

Dress as close to a flight attendant as possible. The
perfect outfit would be a navy blue jacket and skirt
that went to the knee, with a crisp button down shirt,
pantyhose and closed-toe shoes. You can wear a scarf
tied at the neck, or wear a nice pin. Jewelry should
be minimal. Don't wear chunky necklaces. Dress as
conservative as possible.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

HAIR

This is not the time to be experimenting with your
hair, ladies! Make sure your hair looks top notch - no
grow out if dyed, or make sure it is a natural color
before the interview.

The airlines aren't a fan of radical hair colors and
styles. They will show pictures of what is and isn't
appropriate in the interview.

If you have hair that is around your shoulders, it is
okay to leave it down, otherwise pull it back.

EARS

If you wear earrings, only wear small studs in one
hole.

MAKEUP

Most airlines require you to wear mascara, lipstick
and blush. Be prepared by wearing these in a tasteful
manner when you interview for the job. Again, remember
to be conservative.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

WHAT HAPPENS IN THE HORIZON INTERVIEW

First, they had us all sign in and get a security
badge. Then, they led us upstairs to a room where they
explained everything about the company - benefits,
pay, training, schedules, etc. For the first couple
months you sit on reserve, which basically means you
are on call. You are usually on call 3 or 4 days at a
time, and then off for 3 or 4 days. You are guaranteed
$462 every two weeks whether or not you actually fly
(you can earn more money than that if you want to pick
up more shifts) . Your medical is paid 100%, and you
get flight benefits right away. Most of the trips
you'd be flying would be Portland to Seattle, Seattle
to Wenatchee, and if you stayed on longer, possibly
trips to Mexico.
After that, they let you go on a break and excuse the
people that aren't interested. Then, they take the
people that are left and split them into two groups
and they go into two seperate meeting rooms. Your
group is then asked to put a nametag on your back, and
you split into another two groups. Then, your little
group is asked to make up a fake airline, no cap on
money etc., and you present it to the recruiters and
group.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

88 months ago

After that, there are questions upside down on the
desk and you have to grab them. You don't read the
question, instead you say "I have question K" or
something like that. These questions are all about
customer service and how you deal with people,
situations, etc. They want you to say something along
the lines, "During my time working at the post office
for the last 20 years I provided excellent customer
service by............" They want to hear about
customer service, customer service, customer service!
Also, safety is stressed as well. Make sure that you
make eye contact with the recruiters during this time.
Also thank them for their time. If you make it beyond
this, they will be having a one on one interview with
you. Again, stress safety and customer service when
thinking about answering any of the questions they may
ask you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Morgan in Puyallup, Washington

86 months ago

I did this interview last Monday. Instead of the airline thing we had to list things we found in common. After two cuts we got to do interviews by our selfs in front of three other people. Here they asked you why you wanted it and other personal questions. I got the job, and start training January 7!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No Reply - Report abuse

Horizon Airlines Hopeful in Hood River, Oregon

86 months ago

Morgan in Puyallup, Washington said: I did this interview last Monday. Instead of the airline thing we had to list things we found in common. After two cuts we got to do interviews by our selfs in front of three other people. Here they asked you why you wanted it and other personal questions. I got the job, and start training January 7!!!!

Hi Morgan - Congratulations!! That's so exciting. I have a couple of questions for you: What did you wear? What were most of the candidates wearing? Also, how many people were choosen? How many people attended? And were you told at the interview that you had been hired, or did they call you afterwards? Thanks so much! Looking forward to your reply. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ADELE MOORE in Atlanta, Georgia

86 months ago

Oh my god CONGRATULATION what did you wear and what did you say as far as what you had in common with who or what? Also, what was the one on one like? And yes, how many people were choosen? Did it matter if you only speak english. Also, were you choosen right there on the spot?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

I went out a couple days before the interview and bought a new suit. It was a knee length skirt suit and a jacket. Black with a slight white pin stripe. I wore nude nylons and simple black 1 1/2 inch heals. I wore a light blue button down shirt under the jacket. I had on a pair of pearls and matching earings. I wore my hair down, but had gotten it cut the day before so it was shoulder length. I made sure I had all the online application information typed out and brought a copy of my resume making sure it was right on top. Make sure you have a paper clip with you to put everything together I did this and they commented on it. I carried all of this in a small folder. I did not carry anything else with me I kept it all in the car.

The interview was pretty simple. After we watched the two presentations they started the first round. Here we were asked a customer service question.You have to get up in front of everyone and tell your answer. Speak loud and clear. The key to this is to not take a lot of time to think about it. They said in the beginning they want you to think quickly because it is important. Also keep your answer withing the last year or so. The most recent the better.

After first cuts we came back into the room and they split us into groups we had to talk as a group to find five things we had in common. Make this fun. I felt that it was best to take charge at times but make sure everyone got to put words in. Look at your teammates in the eyes. And listen. Then we had to answer another question in front of everyone. This time instead of a chosen order we had to do it when we wanted to. I choose to go second.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

After this we went back into the lobby and waited for the final cuts. There were about 10 chosen for this and sense it was getting late they asked all the local people to come back the next day for the final interview. I was not local so they took me that day. I waited about thirty minutes for my one on one. When I went in the room there were three people at a long table. They started with telling me about different requirements and asked if I had a passport and so on. Then they went into grilling me on my past work experience. What I liked what I didn't. Then they asked me more customer service questions about how to deal with different situations. Or one was to name a goal I had and how I made it happen. After this they asked me why I wanted this job, and why their company. The last thing they did was ask me if I had questions. I had a few and they were eager to explain things to me.

They did not tell me that day if I got the job. They said they would call me by the end of the week. I thought it would be the hardest week of my life but they called me the next morning to ask if i would except the position. My interview was pretty big they said. I would say we had a little over forty or so. I do not know for sure how many they took. Only ten made it to the final round. The interview before they only took 3 total so I am guessing along those lines.

I only speak English and they never asked me if I spoke another language. If you are planning to do this interview I would tell you to just have fun and be yourself. That is what they want to see.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

I attended the interview and unfortunately did not get picked but that's okay, because I'm definitely going to try again. What a great company!

I was told that if you are not picked, then you can re-apply in 3 months, does anyone know how many times a year Horizon does hiring events? I'm hoping every 3 months, :).

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Morgan Bristol in Puyallup, Washington

85 months ago

I think it really depends on the need. Before I applied with horizon I had been looking at them for a while and if I remember right they always had one in the spring and one in the fall,so at most six months. Good Luck and if you need any more info just ask I leave January 7th for training and I will know more than.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Shannon in Las Vegas, Nevada

85 months ago

Morgan in Puyallup, Washington said: I did this interview last Monday. Instead of the airline thing we had to list things we found in common. After two cuts we got to do interviews by our selfs in front of three other people. Here they asked you why you wanted it and other personal questions. I got the job, and start training January 7!!!!

Morgan...congrats!! I, too, start class on January 7th. Maybe we'll meet there. We had to do the 5 things in common. Sounds much easier than the airline presentation - guess we got lucky. Are you hoping to get placed in Oregon or Seattle?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

I am hoping for Seattle sense I live here now. They asked in the interview which I preferred and I told them Seattle and that didn't seem to bother them. It seems that more people at my interview preferred PDX so I hope I get Seattle. What interview did you go to.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Shannon in North Las Vegas, Nevada

85 months ago

I went to one in Seattle. My family is in the process of moving back to Tacoma, so of course I hope I get Seattle. We'll make it work whichever way it goes, though. Did Dara and Robin interview you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Shannon in North Las Vegas, Nevada said: I went to one in Seattle. My family is in the process of moving back to Tacoma, so of course I hope I get Seattle. We'll make it work whichever way it goes, though. Did Dara and Robin interview you?

Dara did. Who did yours? Have you gone and done the finger printing and exam yet?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

ShannonP in Las Vegas, Nevada

85 months ago

Dara and Robin did my interview together. I flew to Portland yesterday for my drug testing and fingerprinting. Some of the fingerprinting wasn't totally clear, so Dara said that it isn't unusual for people to be called out of class to redo the fingerprinting. PDX is a nice, relaxed airport compared to SEA or LAS. They did have problems trying to print my ticket, however, because I was flying non-rev but do not have an employee ID as of yet. I was told to wear earplugs on the flight because I'd be taking an auditory test, but they said that that test was no longer required for FAs. I really wonder when we get our packets to study. Dara said probably a few days before Christmas. The chaos of the holidays is going to make it much more challenging to study, I think.

When I was in the van to go to Horizon Ops, other flight attendants were riding in the van. They were talking about how large the next class was going to be and joking that at least half wouldn't make it. That kind of scares me. I don't know if they were just joking around because I, a newbie, was there or if that is a pretty good guess at how many will make it through. Please post any new info you get about class, study materials, etc. I'll do the same.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

I was afraid of the studying during the holidays too. I started over a month ago learning the airport codes so I would have a head start. I have almost all of them down now. I had to do the hearing test I wonder why? I hope they send out the packets this week. It would really be helpful.

85 months ago

I got my packet yesterday. I called today and confirmed my hotel and what not. Now I just need to study my ass off for the next two weeks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ShannonP in Tacoma, Washington

85 months ago

I got my packet today. I called to confirm but the gal is on vacation until the 2nd. That concerns me because the packet says that she needs at least 5 days to set up travel...cutting it close! I left a message - hopefully that counts. I may end up driving there if I can't get on a flight. Well, good luck studying! We've sure got a lot ahead of us!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Good Luck to everyone starting training tomorrow! Have fun. :) Does anyone know when Horizon will be hiring again? I CANT wait! :) Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Well at this time the next class is planned for April. So Hiring will probably start right after our class ends.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Morgan - You are awesome! Thank you very much. I really appreciate your response. :) Have fun training! Good Luck and have a great weekend.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kevin

84 months ago

Morgan, congrats!! I know you are probably busy with training, but can you please e-mail me at kfosburgh@gmail.com?? I have some questions about training, horizon, and stuff like that.

THANKS!

84 months ago

I would like to keep the discussion on here for now. What is it that you need to know?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Kevin

84 months ago

No problem. I was wondering if you could tell me how long the approximate reserve time is the new hire. Also, if you know if Horizon will provide transportation to the interview? And lastly, is training in Portland or Seattle?

Thanks again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Well Reserve time will vary by which domicile you are awarded. But it runs about 7 months is what they are telling us. They do not provide transportation to the interview but they do for training. Training is done in Portland.

Doreen in Issaquah, Washington

83 months ago

Hi all:

I love reading all about your interviews and experiences... very interesting. I'm considering becoming a flight attendant (something I've always dreamed about). I'm 43 years old, a mother of 4, fluent in both French and English and absolutely love being around people. Can someone tell me where I get started; training in the Seattle area, how long is the actual course, the chances of "making it", etc. - thanks so much, I really appreciate it.

Best regards,

Doreen Sliter
doreensliter@hotmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Shannon in Portland, Oregon

83 months ago

We have our final tomorrow :-) The training for Horizon is always in Portland. They pay for our hotel. We started out with 29 people and have lost 4 so far. It is not easy, but chances of making it are good if you are willing to put the time and effort into studying. We have an exam almost every day, on which we have to have at least 90%. You can fail up to 2 tests, but you must pass the retake. You cannot fail a third test, the final, or the oral exam (there are 13 public announcements that you must memorize verbatim befor arriving to ground school). Horizon does pay you minimum wage during ground school training.
There are open interviews in Portland and Seattle (maybe other places, too - I'm not sure though). If you want to do this, I think you should. It is a fun experience.
Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ShannonP in Portland, Oregon

83 months ago

Well, it has been a tough 4 weeks, but we did it! We have made amazing new friends and have an incredible respect for every flight attendant out there. You really have to want this to do well. For those of you want it, go for it! I would love to see you on line sometime (along with the other 6 girls going to Seattle and the 19 guys and gals staying here in Portland)

83 months ago

Ladies and Gentleman, get ready...Because Horizon is interviewing this month!! - I cannot wait. :) Congratulations to the class that just graduated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

B757 in Houston, Texas

83 months ago

Shannon in Portland, Oregon said: We have our final tomorrow :-) The training for Horizon is always in Portland. They pay for our hotel. We started out with 29 people and have lost 4 so far. It is not easy, but chances of making it are good if you are willing to put the time and effort into studying. We have an exam almost every day, on which we have to have at least 90%. You can fail up to 2 tests, but you must pass the retake. You cannot fail a third test, the final, or the oral exam (there are 13 public announcements that you must memorize verbatim befor arriving to ground school). Horizon does pay you minimum wage during ground school training.
There are open interviews in Portland and Seattle (maybe other places, too - I'm not sure though). If you want to do this, I think you should. It is a fun experience.
Good Luck!

which are the announcements that one needs to memorize?

jenny in Lehi, Utah

83 months ago

how much is the pay after you complete training?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Well you have to memorize all of the announcments that are uaually done during a flight. We do all of our Pa's from memory. After training you make $20.00 dollars an hour with a min. guarantee of 80 hours, and a per diem of 1.73 an hour. That probaly wouln't make any sense to you unless you know the industry. Once you get off probation you get .25 cent raise.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jenny in Lehi, Utah

83 months ago

per diem is when you are not flying, but when you are working on the ground, right? And $20/hr. while you are in flight?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

jenny in Lehi, Utah

83 months ago

Oh, and can you choose between Seattle and Portland, or do they choose one for you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

Per diem is an extra amount of money that you get for every hour you are away from home while on a trip. You get the 20 bases on when you start the day until 15 min after your last flight. You get the choice on your base but they make the overall decision based on their need.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

jenny in Lehi, Utah

83 months ago

ok, you have been so helpful...but one more question...how long are your trips usually?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

83 months ago

3-4 day trips usually, but being on reserve you may get anywhere between 1 and 4 day trips, or you could be on airport reserve (sitting at the airport waiting to see if you are needed) or home reserve (doing your daily activities but being available for a 2-hour callout if needed).

Taryn in Puyallup, Washington

82 months ago

Congratualations and good luck to you. It was great reading about your experience. I do have a quick question and was wondering if you could answer it. If you are based out of PDX can you still live in the seattle area and commute or vice a versa?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

You can definitely commute, but it would be extremely hard while you are on reserve because PDX has a 1 1/2 hour callout (you have to be at PDX and checked in within an hour and a half of crew scheduling calling you). There are flights to PDX from SEA every half hour, but they are usually full, so you'd be pressing your luck if you depended on flying. You could rent a room or a crash pad in Portland and just stay there when you are on call.

jenny in Lehi, Utah

82 months ago

What are the hours while you are in the 4 week training? How much of the time would you say you are on airport reserve vs. home reserve?

82 months ago

We were in training from 8-5ish (sometimes got out earlier). It is hard to say how much time one serves on home/airport reserve...it really just depends. So far I have been on home reserve more often. I was on airport reserve last Thursday and got a trip that brought me home Friday night. Then I was on PM home reserve (10:30am to 11:45pm) both Saturday and Sunday and did not get called out. Today is my last day on home reserve. They have put a round trip on my schedule for this evening and I come back today. It all depends on what OPS needs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

They did tell me that you should get two days of airport reserve a bid period. Sometimes it could be more or sometimes less just depends but two days is the average. I have gotten a trip everyday that I have been on reserve, I was supposed to be on a four day trip with today day two but the FA I was covering for choose to come back today. So tonight I am at home hoping my phone doesn't ring so I don't have to make the trip back to the airport. Sense I am the only PM home reserve person tonight there is a great chance I could be called in. You can see the amount of work you get can vary greatly it just depends.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Morgan...glad to hear you're doing well. How do you know if you are the only home reservist on a given day? I just want to know for future reference.
Take care!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Well I only know because Matt at crew scedualing told me. I guess on a usual day there is three home and one airport for each shift. That day everyone had gotten sent out I guess.

Debra Darlene Dean in San Antonio, Texas

75 months ago

I enjoyed all of the stories and testimonies. It would be great to work for the Horizon Airlines. I will be 55 years old in January and have always wanted to be a flight attedant. I have been a Special Education Teacher Assistant for 35 years now and I"m ready for a change. My nephew is a pilot based out of Atlanta,GA and says that with my great personality and ways that I would be good. I love people and I love to serve and meet new people all of the time. I have great communication skills and hope to be interviewed with you.
Sincerely,
Debra

SJDGringa in Portland, Oregon

74 months ago

Morgan and Shannon P, are you still flying for QX? My husband flies for them (he is 3 yrs old...sometimes acts like it too! LOL. JK!).

Gringa

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

TC in San Diego, California

64 months ago

Debra Darlene Dean in San Antonio, Texas said: I enjoyed all of the stories and testimonies. It would be great to work for the Horizon Airlines. I will be 55 years old in January and have always wanted to be a flight attedant. I have been a Special Education Teacher Assistant for 35 years now and I"m ready for a change. My nephew is a pilot based out of Atlanta,GA and says that with my great personality and ways that I would be good. I love people and I love to serve and meet new people all of the time. I have great communication skills and hope to be interviewed with you.
Sincerely,
Debra

Apply to SkyWest. They're hiring now, and they have an open house scheduled soon. Go to their website and complete an application and then just show up at the open house with your resume. They hire alot of older people. (Surprisingly, a lot of overweight people too!) I don't know what they look for, but physical appearance or age does not seem to be a concern. Just smile a lot and be genuine. Plan what you will say when asked why you will make a good flight attendant. (Do not say you love people and you love to travel. Be original.) Good luck!

susan in Vancouver, Washington

57 months ago

These are all great stories and hope that one day I find myself working for Horizon. I'm from Arizona and drove 26hours to get here to Vancouver, WA. I was planning on going to an Air Academy that would take me through a journey of six months of tranning (so i thought). So after gradguation and a few thousand bucks they said they would gaurantee me a job. Well now I sit here broke and jobless and pretty much looking for a job that has nothing to do with the Airlines. I can't even count how many applications i've gone though but anyways my question to all who desire the same job, How can I get my foot in the door so I can start over? It seems everything I do I can't get in.

please do not make the same mistake as I did and reserch everything possible!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

nath in Salem, Oregon

52 months ago

Is the job still available now?
I really really want to be a flight attendant so badly. But all of the airlines are not hiring for flight attendant no more.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.