Pay Scale for Virgin America! Take it or leave it!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 108)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

realtor in Sacramento, California

64 months ago

Be happy that you have a job with a pay check that you can count on

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (34) Reply - Report abuse

deandre84 in Oakland, California

58 months ago

how long can I expect to sit reserve?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Other Airline FA

55 months ago

WOW! That is harsh... I worked for a major airline and now a LCC. Both union. Makes me happy for my work rules even though I think they suck sometime!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

red_passion_fruit in oakland, California

55 months ago

have you read part 2 of my posting?? it got cut... and i guess no one sees it...

Pay Scale for Virgin America! Take it or leave it! Part 2

In addition, you only need 9 hours rest in between trips. Crew scheduling doesn’t care that you returned from a trip a 12 midnight and now you have a 9am show.

Raises: After your first year you get $2. And $1 raise each year till you hit $23… there’s no info on what happens next. In addition, some of the teammates are getting calls informing them that their raise after $21 has been frozen till further notice! Huh?? It’s true!

For those who never worked in the industry here is an example of how it works:

Let’s consider a 4 day trip which pays 24.10 credits and you time away from base is 88 hours. Do the math! 19 x 24.10 = $457.9, 88 x 1.75= $154. Total for a 4 day trip = $611.90

Not bad huh?? Well, unfortunately this is one of hour highest paying trips with one leg per day (one boarding process per day). But…

1. What if the 4 day trip only pays 20 hours?
2. Or a 3 day trip only pays 13 hours?
3. Or a 1 day trip only pays 3 hours?
4. What if to get 7 credits per day you have to fly 5 legs? And then board the plane 5 times with 40-45 min for each boarding process that you don’t get paid for?
5. What if during that one day with 5 legs you have a few delays because there is always something wrong with the weather and the airports???
6. What if you deadhead you to a city to work the leg back but before you do you have you sit at the airport for 3 hours not getting paid?
7. What if those three hours sitting at the airport were really 5 because of ATC??

Now, you do the math again! Do you really make $19 an hour?? Like I said before… take it or leave it! It’s your choice! Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Jet Set in San Francisco, California

55 months ago

VA's pay and work rules seem very unimpressive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

formerflyboy in San Francisco, California

54 months ago

You don't do the job because you want to get rich - you do it because you love what you do - it's that simple. It's a job like no other - take it or leave it, there are plenty of others behind you who are willing to take your place. Virgin America's pay is better than some of the major carriers!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

HAHAHAHAHAHA @ RED PASSION FRUIT in Daly City, California

53 months ago

THE PAY IS DEFINITELY PRETTY ATTRACTIVE PER HOUR.....HOWEVER....HENCE! HOWEVER......THE HOURS THEY GIVE YOU IN A MONTH ALONG WITH THE LIMITED MOBILITY ON YOUR SCHEDULE IS LIKE A DOG ON A LEASH...70 HOURS A MONTH IS A HIGH SCHOOL DROPOUT SALARY..AFTER TAXES THATS LIKE $1000.00USD...HERE ARE MY SUGGESTIONS...
ONLY BE A F/A GIVEN THAT YOURHIRED IS IF YOU HAVE NO BILLS, NO DEBT, PARENTS GOT YOU COVERED ON A CAR AND HOUSING, YOUR YOUNG, SINGLE, ETC. ACTUALLY BEING AN F/A FOR INTERNATIONAL FLIGHTS ARE MORE GLAMOROUS CONSINDERING ALL THOSE COUNTRIES YOU COULD VISIT......

OR WORK AS A TICKETING AGENT FOR VIRGIN......THEY PAY AROUND 14$ GIVE OR TAKE AN HOUR AND ACTUALLY HAVE HOURS LIKE A NORMAL JOB....OR LEAVE IT LIKE PASSION FRUIT SAYS!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

HAHAHAHAHAHA @ RED PASSION FRUIT in Daly City, California

53 months ago

Jet Set in San Francisco, California said: VA's pay and work rules seem very unimpressive.

its not just VA's pay, its all airlines pay.......there is always a bad to a good and vice versa.....they claim you get those free travel too....that is if you can get off of being on call....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

regional FA in Huntington Beach, California

53 months ago

I completely agree with hahahaha. Only be a flight attendant if you have a sponsor or if you don't mind being poor. It is no longer gloamourous or exciting to be a flight attendant but if traveling is a priority in your life, then go for it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

regional FA in Huntington Beach, California

53 months ago

deandre84 in Oakland, California said: how long can I expect to sit reserve?

LONG TIME.. especially if you want to be in a desirable place like los angeles. The trick is to get in with a new or expanding company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

former flying angel in Henderson, Nevada

52 months ago

HAHAHAHAHAHA @ RED PASSION FRUIT in Daly City, California said: its not just VA's pay, its all airlines pay.......there is always a bad to a good and vice versa.....they claim you get those free travel too....that is if you can get off of being on call....

Thank you for your honesty. I flew for 16 years and reluctantly gave up my job to raise my daughters and become an educator. How I miss the friends, and freedom. Yet the reality is, your life is in someone else's hands. Always trading trips, trading days off, cancelations etc... Yes if you do have a productive 4 day trip, I would break it down by my total time away from base which would come to about $7.00 - $9.00 per hour. Not bad for sleeping, eating etc... It is a great job but remember the F word - Flexibility. I truly do miss the actual flying, and your post brought me back to reality - thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

donna in Henderson, Nevada

50 months ago

former flying angel in Henderson, Nevada said: Thank you for your honesty. I flew for 16 years and reluctantly gave up my job to raise my daughters and become an educator. How I miss the friends, and freedom. Yet the reality is, your life is in someone else's hands. Always trading trips, trading days off, cancelations etc... Yes if you do have a productive 4 day trip, I would break it down by my total time away from base which would come to about $7.00 - $9.00 per hour. Not bad for sleeping, eating etc... It is a great job but remember the F word - Flexibility. I truly do miss the actual flying, and your post brought me back to reality - thank you.

Oh my... I to am a former flight attendant. 20 years. Now I miss it, and I'm really looking at applying to VA. I live in Henderson, so the base in San Francisco is the hard part.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

CaliCruisin in San Diego, California

48 months ago

I'm looking for approximate yearly salary for a flight attendant.
I've been told it's between 25k to 42k a year. Is there any truth to that?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kristi in Portland, Oregon

44 months ago

I was a flight attendant for a American Eagle and Delta. I also have been on interviews for skywest twice and Southwest. The reserve is typical for 10 days most carriers. The pay is a little low but all airlines took paycuts. Alaska and Southwest pay the best. But you do it for the job because you love it and I miss it. Getting in on the ground floor should pay off down the road. Also I knew 10 yrs ago Virgin Atlantic pay was low but that's what you do if you love the job!

KAT in Seminole, Florida

44 months ago

formerflyboy in San Francisco, California said: You don't do the job because you want to get rich - you do it because you love what you do - it's that simple. It's a job like no other - take it or leave it, there are plenty of others behind you who are willing to take your place. Virgin America's pay is better than some of the major carriers!

The problem in this depressed economy is: Be happy you have a job,Attitude.Workers have rights to and deserve a better quality of life.If we work for poverty wages,we become mexico.I have met people in 3rd world countrys that work 12-14 hours a day for $5 a day.They eat only once a day.They die young of malnutrition and illness.If we don't Demand MORE from our employers we will end up like this.America, Just another 3rd world country.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

The issue here is - Can you afford to do what you love for so little? If you can then good for you.
To me, flying around the world while making a wage that is below the poverty level is not really appealing. As I get older I start to think about saving for retirement and planning for the future. I don't want to be on 70's and pictures is all I have to show for... plus, pictures don't pay for medical bills.

Rude in Mount Dora, Florida

41 months ago

I prefer to work with a higher pay and pay for my own tickets.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

KAT in Seminole, Florida

41 months ago

formerflyboy in San Francisco, California said: You don't do the job because you want to get rich - you do it because you love what you do - it's that simple. It's a job like no other - take it or leave it, there are plenty of others behind you who are willing to take your place. Virgin America's pay is better than some of the major carriers!
Only the Rich can afford to work for little or no money,no matter how much you love the job.Even the rich would refuse to work for peanuts.We need to be more like France and not tolerate such treatment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

SkyKai in Indianapolis, Indiana

40 months ago

I fly for a living, that the pay system I work under is similar, though a little low for a "mainline" carrier seems closer to regional, especially with the class of service offered. Is Virgin Unionized?

I don't fly for the money, I fly because I personally have flight benefits on 20 airline companies and my family has benefits on 3, so if you can use the benefits to your advantage then go for it, if you're a homebody and don't have interest in traveling, then look in another field.

Kai

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Fabulous Flight Attendant in Dallas, Texas

40 months ago

As a F/A for 25 years - I can WARN PEOPLE - do NOT be fooled by the 'hourly rate' of pay at the airlines. What they don't tell you is that you are not getting paid that right for a good 2/3rds of the time you are 'on duty.' You are ONLY making that rate of pay if the aircraft is in MOTION. You are NOT getting paid during passenger boarding/deplaning; you are NOT getting paid for changing flights; you are NOT getting paid that rate of pay on your 'layover' - you are making $ 1.75/hour - not even min. wage !!

Oh and the so-called 'benefits' - of free flights ??? WHAT A JOKE.
Every flight is oversold - and you go STANDBY, but you get on only if there is an unsold seat - so much for your benefits !!!

Labor relations are not poor, but absolutely horrific.
It's a constant 'class war' between management and employees.

I would definitely NOT recommend becoming a flight attendant
(or any OTHER position with the airlines) to ANYONE - unless you are independently wealthy and have a trust fund or other reliable source of regular income. I am personally counting the days til I can retire from this dreadful industry. Only 3 years to go !!!

Take my advice, and seek other more rewarding employment !!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

SkyKai in Jackson, Georgia

40 months ago

Ms Fabulous,

I await the days with you when you retire, I'm not sure who you work for though I would assume AA, as they are out of contract and having many other problems. Yes, there are certain times of the year where non-reving is near impossible, but even at an express carrier, I have still traveled to Berlin, La, Dc, Miami, Detroit, Vegas, and Phoenix, in only a year's time, no to mention where I ended up on layover. Pay sucks, and always will, but that's not why I'm here, the time sucks, i've worked 14 hour days for 5 hours of credit, but I survived and carry on. I hope you get your retirement and are very happy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

flyhilo in Jersey City, New Jersey

40 months ago

...and I guess Ms Fabulous, u wouldn't stay that long 24yrs if you didn't like ur job. I hated my job before and quit in just 6 months. sometimes, money is just money. remember, we are here for the thrill ride of experience. i love to travel the world and that's it, i love being a FLIGHT ATTENDANT!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

flyhilo in Jersey City, New Jersey

40 months ago

...and I guess Ms Fabulous, u wouldn't stay that long 24yrs if you didn't like ur job. I hated my job before and quit in just 6 months. sometimes, money is just money. remember, we are here for the thrill ride of experience. i love to travel the world and that's it, i love being a FLIGHT ATTENDANT!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

Some people still enjoy the job - but I want so much MORE in life than just going to various cities - and not even be able to afford to go out to dinner because the money is so poor. Additionally, many airlines have either frozen or terminated their pension plans - and any 'raises' you receive don't even keep up with the rate of inflation resulting in a continually declining 'standard of living' in terms of purchasing power. That is UNACCEPTABLE to me. Being a Flight Attendant USED TO BE a decent job - but not anymore - it's not the same job that it was in the 1980's and even the 1990's. You are constantly being asked to work more - for less pay. The big airline executives are still receiving six and seven figure bonuses annually - while they won't even give Flight Attendants a friggin' cost of living raise.
Now please understand, that I never expected to get rich being a Flight Attendant - but I did expect a Middle Class wage.
If you still like the job - that's fantastic - and I wish you happiness in it - but it's no longer a job that I can respect myself doing because I simply want and expect MORE out of life
for myself and refuse to accept a declining living standard while
I bust my ass to make the executives filthy rich - NO - not gonna do it !!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

FA-bulous in Charleston, South Carolina

40 months ago

Fabulous Flight Attendant in Dallas, Texas said: Some people still enjoy the job - but I want so much MORE in life than just going to various cities - and not even be able to afford to go out to dinner because the money is so poor. Additionally, many airlines have either frozen or terminated their pension plans - and any 'raises' you receive don't even keep up with the rate of inflation resulting in a continually declining 'standard of living' in terms of purchasing power. That is UNACCEPTABLE to me. Being a Flight Attendant USED TO BE a decent job - but not anymore - it's not the same job that it was in the 1980's and even the 1990's. You are constantly being asked to work more - for less pay. The big airline executives are still receiving six and seven figure bonuses annually - while they won't even give Flight Attendants a friggin' cost of living raise.
Now please understand, that I never expected to get rich being a Flight Attendant - but I did expect a Middle Class wage.
If you still like the job - that's fantastic - and I wish you happiness in it - but it's no longer a job that I can respect myself doing because I simply want and expect MORE out of life
for myself and refuse to accept a declining living standard while
I bust my ass to make the executives filthy rich - NO - not gonna do it !!!

You are not going to do it? But you are doing it and have been doing it for a long time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

Already have my paperwork ready to leave.
Leaving the very day that I qualify for "Early Retirement."
It would really be stupid to quit right now with already so much time invested - so I need to stay to get the most money out of the Company that I can get. No sense in leaving money on the table !!!
3 more years baby.
I should have said - Not going to do it ANYMORE !!!
(already dropping trips and flying minimums)
The airlines can find another slave - cause it ain't gonna be me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Just Curious in New York, New York

40 months ago

I know someone who has been a Delta flight attendant for 25 years, flies international most of the time and owns a MERCEDES BENZ! HMMMMMMM!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Just Curious in New York, New York

40 months ago

I know someone who have been working 25 years as a FA for Delta and drives a MERCEDES BENZ!!!! HMMMMMMM!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

@Just Curious in New York - This is such an unfortunate comment. The fact that a flight attendant owns a MERCEDES BENZ is not a reflection of how well paid an airline worker may be. Have you considered other factors in this persons life? Such as what kind of job his/her spouse has? Where does he/she live? Does he/she have kids? Or house payments? Etc, etc, etc. In addition, some people are what we in the Bay Area call "car rich and house poor". This is very common here since a lot people drive a leased MERCEDES BENZ and live in a rented apartment... basically choosing to spend more on their car payment than on their living situation.

@Fabulous Flight Attendant - I am happy for you and I wish you a wonderful early retirement!

@Everybody Else! - No one here is try to tell you what to do. We are merely trying to clarify what it is to work for an airline as a flight attendant. Different airlines mean different pay and different working rules. Like I said in my first posting: "Take it or leave it!"... I only lasted about 10 months in a start up airline and I very glad I left! It's all about what you are willing to put up with for the amount of money you get to take home and the amount of crap you have to put with to get those flight benefits.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

I gotta agree with Red Passion Fruit in Oakland. The kind of automobile one owns has absolutely no bearing on this occupation!
Their spouse may have bought it - they may have inherited it from a parent who passed, etc. I know MANY flight attendants who routinely live 'beyond their means' and are in so much financial debt - and making expensive car payments - that they are literally enslaved to their employer for life. (No thanks) - for me material things are irrelevant - it's all about being able to gain FINANCIAL INDEPENDENCE. I'm a fairly frugal person - I've ALWAYS driven used cars (generally 10 yrs old) - I do NOT "shop" - and still can just barely make ends meet at the end of the month after working here for 25 years. Something is SERIOUSLY wrong with this picture. I am simply relating my story to those out there who may be 'considering' this occupation. I want them to know the TRUTH about it - not what Airline Management wants the public to think.
If you are looking for a job that is going to allow you to save and invest - you better look elsewhere - because you will only be able to pay the rent as a flight attendant, and only able to buy a house (pay a mortgage) in lower priced rural areas on what you make as a flight attendant. The salary tops out for senior international flyers at just UNDER $ 50,000.
But MOST Flight Attendants today make around $ 36,000/year,
both figures are BEFORE TAXES. Try living on that in New York,
San Francisco, or Los Angeles. I can barely afford to live
in Texas and I live in a small 1800 sqft. house built in 1949 !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Shatauquah Jones in New York, New York

39 months ago

Is VAA hiring for the JFK base, or is everyone required to start out in SFO, then wait and hope to transfer??

lol in New York, New York

39 months ago

CaliCruisin in San Diego, California said: I'm looking for approximate yearly salary for a flight attendant.
I've been told it's between 25k to 42k a year. Is there any truth to that?

LOL try more like 15-20K a year BEFORE taxes and maybe after 15-20+ years of service you might see 40-50K a year BEFORE taxes

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

MM in Bronx, New York

39 months ago

red_passion_fruit in oakland, California said: @Just Curious in New York - This is such an unfortunate comment. The fact that a flight attendant owns a MERCEDES BENZ is not a reflection of how well paid an airline worker may be. Have you considered other factors in this persons life? Such as what kind of job his/her spouse has? Where does he/she live? Does he/she have kids? Or house payments? Etc, etc, etc. In addition, some people are what we in the Bay Area call "car rich and house poor". This is very common here since a lot people drive a leased MERCEDES BENZ and live in a rented apartment... basically choosing to spend more on their car payment than on their living situation.

@Fabulous Flight Attendant - I am happy for you and I wish you a wonderful early retirement!

@Everybody Else! - No one here is try to tell you what to do. We are merely trying to clarify what it is to work for an airline as a flight attendant. Different airlines mean different pay and different working rules. Like I said in my first posting: "Take it or leave it!"... I only lasted about 10 months in a start up airline and I very glad I left! It's all about what you are willing to put up with for the amount of money you get to take home and the amount of crap you have to put with to get those flight benefits.

Granted owning a Benz means nothing HOWEVER you cant comparing NY living situations to CALI living situations. ALMOST every resident in the city area RENTS and its perfectly normal.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

FA Wannabe in Chatsworth, California

39 months ago

Shatauquah Jones in New York, New York said: Is VAA hiring for the JFK base, or is everyone required to start out in SFO, then wait and hope to transfer??

Carmela interviewed me today and I asked the question to her about the LAX and JFK satellite bases. All new flight attendants will be based out of SFO. Once there are openings at JFK and LAX, bidding will take place, obviously based on seniority and open availability. But she told me everyone will be based at SFO. If anyone is going to the group interview next week on Thursday, August 11th, say hello! I am the older blond dude from LA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

mospike23 in Redwood City, California

39 months ago

FA Wannabe in Chatsworth, California said: Carmela interviewed me today and I asked the question to her about the LAX and JFK satellite bases. All new flight attendants will be based out of SFO. Once there are openings at JFK and LAX, bidding will take place, obviously based on seniority and open availability. But she told me everyone will be based at SFO. If anyone is going to the group interview next week on Thursday, August 11th, say hello! I am the older blond dude from LA.

How long ago did you apply?? Did you have a phone interview or a f2f?
Im still anxiously waiting a call!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

decisions decisions in Chicago, Illinois

37 months ago

Just Curious in New York, New York said: I know someone who have been working 25 years as a FA for Delta and drives a MERCEDES BENZ!!!! HMMMMMMM!!!

idiot, i'm 25 and have one. Flight attendant for less than a year. Your comment is stupid and irrelevant.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

decisions decisions in Chicago, Illinois

37 months ago

Fabulous Flight Attendant in Dallas, Texas said: As a F/A for 25 years - I can WARN PEOPLE - do NOT be fooled by the 'hourly rate' of pay at the airlines. What they don't tell you is that you are not getting paid that right for a good 2/3rds of the time you are 'on duty.' You are ONLY making that rate of pay if the aircraft is in MOTION. You are NOT getting paid during passenger boarding/deplaning; you are NOT getting paid for changing flights; you are NOT getting paid that rate of pay on your 'layover' - you are making $ 1.75/hour - not even min. wage !!

Oh and the so-called 'benefits' - of free flights ??? WHAT A JOKE.
Every flight is oversold - and you go STANDBY, but you get on only if there is an unsold seat - so much for your benefits !!!

Labor relations are not poor, but absolutely horrific.
It's a constant 'class war' between management and employees.

I would definitely NOT recommend becoming a flight attendant
(or any OTHER position with the airlines) to ANYONE - unless you are independently wealthy and have a trust fund or other reliable source of regular income. I am personally counting the days til I can retire from this dreadful industry. Only 3 years to go !!!

Take my advice, and seek other more rewarding employment !!!

all of this is true. my stats. 25 yr old fa for regional carrier united/continental xpress. currently seeking new occupation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kat in Minneapolis, Minnesota

37 months ago

I have always heard flight attendants only make a $1,000 a month.Now that they must also take combat training because we are all assumed to be terrorist.Their pay should be at least $3,000 a month.Next thing will be to hire ex-military as flight attendants.They are already trained and would shoot 1st and ask questions later.You need a stronger union.To bad unions and employee rights are a thing of the past in this country.

37 months ago

That is a dumb statement.People work to get paid,it is not a hobby or they would do it for free.I hear this same statement in the CNA field.You do it because you love it.I still have bills to pay,so all jobs are a paycheck,not a hobby.Think about it! As long as the american people are willing to be used and abused,they will be.France has the right idea.Piss them off and everyone goes on strike.We as a people need to realize it is US against THEM(the employers).If we work as a team,we can get our rights and better pay back.

mae in Springfield, Missouri

37 months ago

kat in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: I have always heard flight attendants only make a $1,000 a month.Now that they must also take combat training because we are all assumed to be terrorist.Their pay should be at least $3,000 a month.Next thing will be to hire ex-military as flight attendants.They are already trained and would shoot 1st and ask questions later.You need a stronger union.To bad unions and employee rights are a thing of the past in this country.

no........im a regional FA. been for the company for almost a year.i make every month $2k-$2.5k . and yes if u dont work for trips u would only get paid the guaranteed.i am thinking of quitting but i cant get a job that will pay me atleast $15 an hour.

steve in New York, New York

37 months ago

There are very few jobs out there now a day that will make you rich and being a Flight Attendant is not one. A lot of people have a misperception of what it is being a flight attendant today, especially working for a domestic only carrier. People, I do not mean to rain on your parade, but if you think you would enjoy working a 15 hour day with delays and then layover in a dirty JFK hotel for 9 hours, I do not see how anyone would love and enjoy this. 48 hour layovers in Paris are long gone. At times you would have to choose between eating and sleeping. Not to mention, everyone can afford a $39.99 fare, not that there is anything wrong with that but can you imagine what the clientele is like today. Compare a high end restaurant to a McDonald’s and that will give you a good idea of low cost carrier’s clientele. I am fortunate enough to work for a carrier that pays me decent, but I would not work for $19.00 an hour, I did not find myself in a garbage can, I am worth way more than that.
The job might make you happy, but how happy would you really feel knowing that you cannot afford your bills, food on layovers and that your credit is detraining because you are doing something you love. Be realistic, there are fun jobs out there that pay well. My love for job is determined by how well it pays (one of the criteria’s) and what kind of lifestyle that job allows me to live.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ColoradoFA in Denver, Colorado

37 months ago

kat in Minneapolis, Minnesota said: That is a dumb statement.People work to get paid,it is not a hobby or they would do it for free.I hear this same statement in the CNA field.You do it because you love it.I still have bills to pay,so all jobs are a paycheck,not a hobby.Think about it! As long as the american people are willing to be used and abused,they will be.France has the right idea.Piss them off and everyone goes on strike.We as a people need to realize it is US against THEM(the employers).If we work as a team,we can get our rights and better pay back.

There is no money to give us better pay. Airlines took a dive because of Sept 11. They were operating with barely any margin. It hasn't gotten much better. In fact, have you noticed the economy is in shambles? It's because no one knows how to budget (including big businesses). The rich get richer and the poor get poor. There is no money anywhere to pay employees to do more because we spend entirely too much money on crap. The majority of people in America cannot do without and must have now now now. In the airline industry, no one can compete with fuel prices and Southwest. Trust me, I work in the industry and can tell you that people do this job because they really love it. Paying your bills with this job is near impossible. I had to live in a crashpad with 10 other people for a year to make ends meat. I could leave, but I love the flexibility that's offered, and I love the job. I certainly do not do it for the money! Our pilots may strike. If that happens our company will either belly up or at the very least lose millions of dollars.

And clearly you have never turned your "hobby" into a money making idea. I make jewelry as a hobby, but I turn around and sell a lot of what I make. I do it because I love to make jewelry not because it pays well. So you're wrong when you say that all jobs are to pay bills and not a hobby.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

rags to riches in Dublin, California

36 months ago

wow..... after reading all of yalls post i have decided not to take my job at VA i was going to be started out at $20 per hour. it sounded really good at first and i was all for it. But i was just recently offered to be a store manager of Verizon so i think i will be taking my talents there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Fabulous Flight Attendant in Dallas - in Euless, Texas

36 months ago

Dear Rags to Riches - I think you are making a very wise decision. Your TRUE rate of pay will be more like $ 9/hour. The airlines are very skilled at making it "sound good" - but don't be fooled. The reason they have been able to get away with such poor wages is because there are so many people that have been fooled by the airlines. While it may seems exciting - I actually envy my friends who are in a 'regular' 9 to 5 job - because they at least get to go home and sleep in their own bed every night.
Oh - and I just found out that MY particular airline ( a large carrier ) is proposing eliminating pensions entirely for all new hire flight attendants - so you really WOULD be a minimum wage worker with no retirement benefits at all. Find an employer that at least offers a 7 or 8% "match" on a 401K and then take advantage of it fully. Yes the glamour days of being a steward or stewardess are long gone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Flyguy in Saint Charles, Missouri

36 months ago

Colorado,

No money to give you better pay? Keep drinking that coolaid, corporate compensation, even @ the regional level could be marginally reduced and still have a HUGE impact on the rank-and-file if that money was spent on the employees instead.

The "Oooh look at me I want to be a flight attendant" group that dont know any better and the "lifers" who fall over each other for pay cut after pay cut after pay cut due to FEAR that they might be furloughed have contributed to the decline of this profession and until people step up and realize that there is a reason that managment always jokes that "flight attendants are a dime a dozen" and start respecting the position again, nothing will ever change. AA is on the verge of chapter 11, hasn't hired in years (although they did recall almost (or all) the remaining ex-TWA'ers recently if im not mistaken) (at least through 86' hires) Yet how much does their top mgt make every year? It's all becoming a joke.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

iloveflying123456 in Temecula, California

36 months ago

SkyKai in Jackson, Georgia said: Ms Fabulous,

I await the days with you when you retire, I'm not sure who you work for though I would assume AA, as they are out of contract and having many other problems. Yes, there are certain times of the year where non-reving is near impossible, but even at an express carrier, I have still traveled to Berlin, La, Dc, Miami, Detroit, Vegas, and Phoenix, in only a year's time, no to mention where I ended up on layover. Pay sucks, and always will, but that's not why I'm here, the time sucks, i've worked 14 hour days for 5 hours of credit, but I survived and carry on. I hope you get your retirement and are very happy.

AMEN!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Dman777 in Los Angeles, California

36 months ago

dude you must be in management for Virgin case you are drinking in to there koolaid to much!! And they are not the highest payed in the industry! Southwest airlines is with a top out at 13years at 60.00 an hr!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

I see a common theme happening.People are sick and tired of the pyamid corporations.The people at the top make millions while the worker bees make low wages,overworked and understaffed.The revolution and downfall of greedy corporate is on it's way.

Fabulous Flight Attendant (Dallas) in Arlington, Texas

36 months ago

Dman777 is right. Someone is drinking Management's poison Kool-Aid
again. No one ever expected to get "rich" as a Flight Attendant...
but I also didn't expect to become "poor" as one either !!!
Over the 25 years I've flown - I've seen nothing but a decreasing standard of living in terms of real purchasing power.
That is unacceptable. We're being asked to fly more and more and more for less and less and less. Sorry - time to bailout of the airline business very soon. It's NOT the job that it once was.
My particular airline wants to eliminate pension benefits ENTIRELY
for all new employees. I would NEVER, EVER apply to work for an airline again - and the only reason I am still here is because I've got a little bit of seniority and I'm still too young (in terms of chronological age) to qualify for early retirement -
but the moment that I do qualify - I'm OUT THE DOOR !!!

Again - never "expected" to get rich, but I sure as hell also didn't expect to see my standard of living plummet into a 3rd
world abyss either !!! Meanwhile airline executives are making millions in bonuses each and every year whether the airline makes
a profit or not. Something is SERIOUSLY WRONG with Capitalism.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Fabulous Flight Attendant (Dallas) in Arlington, Texas

36 months ago

Amen Kat - and it cannot come soon enough !!!

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.