Top flight attendant skills needed to get the job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 204)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every flight attendant must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your flight attendant expertise?

Reply - Report abuse

Shamoun in Ramsis, Egypt

90 months ago

Hello, well actually i have a question for yoiu.could u please answer me.I have applied for an airline company to obtain a job as a flight attendant and it was kinda an open house day for everyone and there were about thousands of applicants.I would like to know what r the traits or the skills which allows me to get the job at the first place.Cos they just skimed my resume and after that told me to wait for a call.So could u plz advice me.Thank u so much.could u plz e mail me cos i've always been dreamin of bein a flight attendant.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (196) / No (56) Reply - Report abuse

Jane in Hunua, New Zealand

89 months ago

Hi there

Can you please name some of the attitudes a flight attendant must have when serving customers. I know to be friendly and caring would be one of the attitudes but what else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (73) / No (26) Reply - Report abuse

Michele in Manama, Bahrain

89 months ago

You need to be able to carry yourself with an air of total calm & control at all times. This doesn't mean being an ice princess, but being able to keep your emotions & feelings under control at all times. This can be done with a smile & of course the tone of your voice. I am 26years old have been flying now for over 6 yrs in commercial, charter & VIP charter flying. There will be days when you will love your job & days where the loneliness, passengers and not to mention your work colleques, may just seem too much. Passengers can be wonderful people & at other times total monsters. During all these times you need to keep an almost oscar winning performance of calmness & understanding. Be compassionate, but remember you are also a human doing a sometimes inhumane job. Don't let anyone treat you otherwise. If they do, make it know, but do it with a smile and an air of sofistication. That way you will never be accused of being rude. I have also been faced with a few emergencies in my time. From engine fires & hydrolic failure, to cracked windscreens & dying passengers. Keeping my composure has always helped both my passengers & myself in keeping a cool head & doing my job 100%. These qualities have helped me to enjoy every aspect of being a flight attendant & have helped me gain a name in my short time in this industry as a professional. This in turn has given me the chance to enter into promotions & jobs ahead of my age & experience. I have been flying with ladies who have been in this career for over 45years & if there is one bit of wisdom they have given me that I can share with you it's this. Make the most of this job, remember to make time for yourself, friends & family & above all wear the uniform with pride, sofistication, intelligence & class. What other job requires you to be a care giver, nurse, firefighter, waitress, barman, cook, mother, wife, sister, public relations officer, marketing rep, negotiator and beauty queen in one!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (188) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

Shamoun in Cairo, Egypt

89 months ago

Thank u so much Michele for your tips i've read them all and i really like them.The question is i been trying to apply for so may companies i am talkin about airline companies and they never hired me however during the interview they would tell me such good comments about my skills and my resume etc....
would be very grateful if u just told me what should i do since u r located in the middle east and so am i.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Shamoun in Cairo, Egypt

89 months ago

Thank u so much sky for your comment, anyway i've sent my resume to so many airlines and hopefully i get hired one day.Meaniwhile i am innovating and imporoving my skills and abilities to be able to fit right in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Shamoun in Cairo, Egypt

89 months ago

Sure...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

ddavid in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

88 months ago

can guy leave thier hair grow long or they have to cut it short ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

Shamoun in Egypt

88 months ago

I believe u should cut your hair short inorder to give a good impression to the interviewers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Anne in Spokane, Washington

88 months ago

I want to be a flight attendant!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Lia in Mcallen, Texas

87 months ago

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how long it takes to hear from an airline once you interview with them. I went to an interview with Delta Airlines and it has now been a month.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Lia in Mcallen, Texas

87 months ago

I went to an interview and it was not an open house and every time I log onto the the website under my user name it says on hold. So I was just reallly wondering if it takes a while.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Shamoun in Cairo, Egypt

87 months ago

Everything is possible, probably yes. I wish u the best tho.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Lia in Mcallen, Texas

87 months ago

Thanks! I appreciate it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Bridgette Gilchrist in Wheeling, Illinois

87 months ago

Lia,
Did they ask you to take a physical? They almost always do that soon after the interview-Most of the time the same day as your interview. If you have been through an airline physical with them, and your physical came back clean--no vision problems or drugs or alcohol in your system-you probably have the job. A month isn't too long of a time to wait. I don't know how Delta works but most airlines give physicals to the candidates they want. I'd give it some more time before I felt rejected.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Lia in Mcallen, Texas

87 months ago

Bridget,

I was flown to Atlanta and I felt that my interview went very well, but no physical :( When I log on under my user ID it says on hold, so hopefully I will hear something.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

mj

87 months ago

did you go for a drug test right after your interview? that's usually a good sign. good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

Good luck Lia. Sometimes you get a rejection letter and sometimes you hear nothing. I'm not sure about Delta, but since you weren't given a drug test, that gives me the impression you may not be in the running. I can't say for sure though, so hold out a few weeks longer and then I would apply to a different airline.
Bridgette

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Ashlyn

87 months ago

I speak Spainish, Italian, French, English and Arabic, and am applying to be a flight attendent will my language skills automatically put me ahead.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Shamoun in Cairo, Egypt

87 months ago

Hi Ashlyn,
Actually knowing many languages is not a big deal, like i could speak 4 languages as well and i've been chucked outta the company and they never hired me. I believe customer service orientation and previous experience, not to mention your character r the only traits which qualify u to join in. I wish u the best tho, if u got any questions u could mail me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

silvester in Rochester, Minnesota

87 months ago

Lia in Mcallen,
I had interview with the same company
they took them 4 days to reply me with a thank you email for your interest but.....
I hope you get the job,i may try again later this year.
Let us know if you got an offer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Lia in Mcallen, Texas

87 months ago

Silvester,

It has now been over a month and I didn't even get a thank you email, so I am still hoping. However I went to an interview on the 16th with expressjets (continental) and they automatically had me take a drug test and do the paperwork. Have you tried with any other airlines?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jacob in Brooklyn, New York

87 months ago

I took a delta intervie for a flight attendant i speek hebrew it seemed like the interview went well but was given a drug test.I know one of the girls did get a drug test can anyone tell me if its still possible they will call me?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

I took a delta interview for a flight attendant i speek hebrew it seemed like the interview went well but wasnt given a drug test.I know one of the girls did get a drug test. Can anyone tell me if its still possible they will call me?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

mj

87 months ago

i think it's a good sign if they had you take the drug test. how long ago did you iterview? was it in atlanta? how did you language test go? that is key. are you fluent in hebrew? i know they want people who are fluent or native speakers. good luck to you, jacob!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

lol i corrected myslef in the secon comment THEY DIDNT give me a drug test.another girl that was there did get one.i know its not a good sign i want to know if ther still might be a chnce.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

yes it was in atl but i didnt get a hebrew language test.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

mj

87 months ago

i really don't know. i know two people who took the drug test and were hired. but i also know the language test is just as important. give it a few weeks, but in the meantime, apply elsewhere. does anyone know anything about north american airlines. seems like they're always looking for f/a's and i wonder why. is there a big turnover there????

87 months ago

you guys when you did interview they gave you the english test to mark the correct answer?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

Lia in Mcallen
Did your interview was for Speaker?
Try to call HR and ask about your status .
No i didnt apply for others ,in CAL they hired you on the spot or you still waiting for reply ?How was the interview?

Mikael in Montreal, Quebec

87 months ago

Hi, I applied for Aircanda Jazz. They called me up. I would like some help for the interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

Hi,
I just wanted you to know that I have written an article on everything you need to know about applying for a flight attendant job and getting the job. I was a flight attendant for American Airlines for 16 years. If interested in reading it, go to www.associatedcontent.com On the left side of the page is a catagorie section and click on travel. Midway down on the right is a search and type in "So you want to be a flight attendant" and my article will pop right up. I think you will find it useful.
Good luck to you.
Bridgette

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Anny in Jelgava, Latvia

87 months ago

hello everybody, im in a great confusion... 2 month ago i entered SAS flight school, now i have left 1 exams, but after i have to sign 3 month contract, im not very interested to work for them right now due of low salary and stressful schedules, but what im asking is... can i finish training, drop out and apply for another company? will this training be help for me to get a job in other company or shall i stay and gain least 100 hour experience with this company before moving on???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

87 months ago

As a flight attendant myself, I would highly recommend you not drop out of the school. It doesn't look good to other airlines. They will assume you couldn't handle the training or you weren't easy to get along with....It protrays a negative image to any airline that you apply with. I would finish the school, stick out the 3 months and use the experience as an example to other airlines that you are professional, hardworking and will be a great employee to them. It's only 3 months and it will be a great stepping stone to getting what you truly want. Don't mess up your chances with other airlines--Prove you are a dedicated employee by fulfilling your obligations and then move on to an airline more suitable to your lifestyle

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sara in Boone, NC in Blowing Rock, North Carolina

87 months ago

I would like to become a FA, but I don't even know where to begin if anyone can advise me on how to get started I would appreciate it!

87 months ago

Sarah,
I have written an article that I think you will find very helpful. I was a flight attendant for American for 16 years. Just go to www.associatedcontent.com and on the left side of the site there will be a list of topics. Click on travel. Then on the right side of the next page you will find a search box. Type in "so you want to be a flight attendant" and my article will pop right up. E-mail me if you have any questions. Good Luck!
Bridgette

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Sara in Boone, NC in Blowing Rock, North Carolina

87 months ago

Bridgette,

Thank You! Your article was very helpful in leading me into the right direction. Thanks for the tips I appreciate it!

Sara

87 months ago

You're welcome. Shoot me an e-mail if you have any questions. I'd be happy to help!
Bridgette

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

mj

87 months ago

Lia in Mcallen, Texas said: Bridget,

I was flown to Atlanta and I felt that my interview went very well, but no physical :( When I log on under my user ID it says on hold, so hopefully I will hear something.

Hi Lia! have you checked your profile on Delta's website? I just checked mine today, and nothing is on hold anymore. Everything is gone. Did you find the same thing? Thanks!
MJ

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Lia in Houston, Texas

86 months ago

Hey MJ! I logged on to the Delta website the same day you did and everything was gone for me too. Have you applied with any other airlines?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

mj

86 months ago

hi lia! no, i haven't applied with any other carriers. how about you? keep me posted and good luck!
mj

Lia in Houston, Texas

86 months ago

I applied with Continental Express. Good luck to you too!

mj

86 months ago

That sounds good! Have you heard anything from them? What was their interview like? What language test did you take with Delta? Have a good day!
MJ

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Lia in Houston, Texas

86 months ago

I took a spanish test with Delta. My interview went very well and I start training on June 4th.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

mj

86 months ago

did you get hired by delta or continental express? that's great!!!!

Anny in Uppsala, Sweden

86 months ago

i could advice u to not stress, be confident and make sure this is really what you want, i went for intrewiev first time and was scared but as time passed i realized that fier dont lead me no where, i dont know how it is these in USA, but in europe language skills are also good credit for flight attendants:) ok

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Anny in Uppsala, Sweden

86 months ago

And sorry for my mistakes, im still learning English;D

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Bridgette Gilchrist in Northbrook, Illinois

86 months ago

I have written an article about how to apply for a flight attendant position. I was an American Airlines flight attendant for 16 years. If you go to www.associatedcontent.com and then click on the travel section at the left of the page a new page will pop up. Then half way down on the right a search box will appear. Type in the search box...So you want to be a flight attendant...and my article will come right up. good luck!
Bridgette

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Polly Jones in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

86 months ago

Could someone please explain the different types of pay structures for flight attendants. I've heard of "block to block" and "unit" pay.

Genia in Burkburnett, Texas

86 months ago

Bridgette Thanks so much for your article. I've been to a one on one interview with United (They're hiring 2000 FAs). I passed it and now I go to my second interview. Can you tell me what the training involves. What can I do to prepare for the final interview. What should I do to prepare for training?

Thanks for your wonderful help

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.