Building a car hauler business

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 163)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Steve in Portland, Oregon

75 months ago

I talk to thousands of car haulers a year... some successful... some less so. The successful car haulers have a few things in common.

1. They establish their own relationships with key customers like dealers, moving companies, collectors, etc.

2. They actively market themselves... make phone calls, pass out business cards, follow-up with people.

3. They totally dedicate themselves to quality service... this means returning phone calls in a timely fashion. Following up on quotes. Providing EXCEPTIONAL service.

4. They always ask for more money, and they effectively communicate that this is a business necessity, not just desire for more money. Good customers will understand and pay. Bad customers will take their low-paying work to some other poor S.O.B.

5. They maintain their truck and equipment adequately, and understand what it costs them to run that truck. They have proper insurances.

6. They keep accurate business records of what trips cost and how much they made. In short, they know how much their making or losing.

7. They take the long view, and always do what's right for their customers. This leads to repeat business and referrals.

8. Later on, they do the fancier things like get a website, sales people, etc. But first, they make sure they are delivering good service to good customers who pay their bills.

9. They are willing to fire bad customers. A bad customer is one who provides incomplete information. A bad customer is one who doesn't pay when they agreed to pay.

10. They recognize that if they are running a business and act accordingly-- that means that if they aren't hauling cars, they're dialing for dollars to find new customers... not just trolling load boards, hoping for a miracle.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (158) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Lee Garrett in Columbus, Ohio

74 months ago

I will be getting out of the army in 6 months or so. I have been looking at a dodge 4500 and a take 3 3/4 car trailer. I will be moving back to Indianapolis IN is there a market for car haulers in the mid west. Ive looked into insurance cost ECT im just trying to see if its worth trying. I also need to find a start up plan for this type of buisness

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (260) / No (48) Reply - Report abuse

infotranllc2007@yahoo.com in Hollywood, Florida

60 months ago

I need a little information on getting started in the auto transportation, I currently an owner operator with three truck pullin reefers and im trying to get into another field less problems with reefer breakdowns in the missle of the night if you can help I would be most gracious if you can assist me in this process. Thanks again..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

keya in Gainesville, Florida

59 months ago

Heather78 in Cudahy, Wisconsin said: The most important thing to remember when getting into car hauling is insurance. CYA meaning Cover Your A$@. I'm the Regional Ops Manager for a car hauling and brokering outfit. I've helped a couple of friends start up their own rigs. It's not hard. You have your truck already. Just buy yourself a 3 car wedge( you can find them at auctions Kauffamn is a decent brand) get the insurance you need, and register with the website Central Dispatch and your ready to go... Or are you? Ask yourself some questions. Do you have the capital to work out of pocket for a month before the money rolls in, or will you need to take loads that are all COD(cash on delivery) or quick pay( pay within so many days after you fax in the bills less a whatever % fee) I'm not trying to discourage you. There is money to be made. But make sure you make the wise choices. If you have any questions feel free to email me directly and I will answer them best as I can, or get the answers for you. Heather@jamupautotransport.com

would you mind contacting me Keya703@yahoo.com
thanks ku

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

brigham in Moncks Corner, South Carolina

59 months ago

Dino,
Thank you very much for the info! I have thought about boats and trailers to get started and I want to be legal. Again it is very kind of you to reply, God bless!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

hey Dino if an when you get started would you tell me how much it is to Start up? please

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

hey Dino thanks for Repling to me. I actually have a Cdl B myself already but I just was Curious as to the particulars, I will go on that Website to see what I could see, because I am moving to Colorado and I got to transport my car anyway, I figure I might as well figure out how this buisness works anyway! well again thanks Dino
I will check it out and get back to you
youget back to me too if you think up something else.
K.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Dino

58 months ago

When I started out there were no web sights to learn from, I learned from trial & erro and I did make a lot of mistakes, but nobody got hurt from my wild ideas. I'm semi retried and I do love to travel having someone pay for my trips. My wife and I will travel together and we have met a lot of great people on the road. When things pick up we will be on the road again, being a owner opr we make the choice on what direction we want to go. We try to stay in the southern states in the winter and any place after April. So good luck and safe driving. Dino

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

grimrepo in Canton, Georgia

58 months ago

not much out florida! especially in saint augustine! 30 to 40 cents a mile per car. sometimes you will get 50 cents!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Alex in Fresno, California

58 months ago

Alex in Fresno, California said: how hard is it to start a car hauling buisnes I just whant to haul two to three cars at a time if someone could help me and tell me where I need to start also is there money to be made
alextaylor.1980@hotmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

Alex in Fresno, California said: how hard is it to start a car hauling buisnes I just whant to haul two to three cars at a time if someone could help me and tell me where I need to start also is there money to be made

two car hauler you wont make any money! the 2 cars will pay enough for your fuel! 3 car hauler is very difficult to make money!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

Dino in Stockbridge, Michigan

57 months ago

G Teal in Marietta, Georgia said: Hey Grimrepo i tried to email you a few days ago. My current job is not paying the bills and i am falling behind fast. I know a few people here in metro Atlanta in the car business that have said they could give me some of their overflow if i get into the car hauling business. I know of a 48 ft 3/4 wedge here locally i can get for 4k and i can get a used dually truck with 100k or so on it at the auction for 12k. I was quoted earlier today if i stayed in a 500 mile radius of Atlanta i could get insured for about 5k a year. Am i fooling myself that i will be able to support my family hauling cars? Also if i am registered and insured i can haul anything from boats to farm equipment if i buy another trailer down the road. Any input from anyone would be great. I am getting desperate and my bills are piling up fast. Thank you!

You are in a great location. Try and look into hauling ltl freight (less start up cost) get a gooseneck flat bed 14000 lbs trailer with ramps, this way you can haul anything that will fit, cars rates are real bad right now. get back with me. briarlane@cablespeed.com......yes you can support your family doing ltl freight, I get calls all the time for contruction equipment, farm equipment. Start out with a dodge diesel only 3/4 or 1 ton, the rest are real trouble (GM & Ford)then there's a lot of used gn trailer for sale. You should earn at least 800. to 1200. a week min. to 300. a day. Dino

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

TM in Saint Louis, Missouri

57 months ago

ANY ANSWERS BEEN WONDERING IF I SHOULD TOW CARS WITH ROLLBACK OR SHOULD I HAUL CARS WITH 3 CAR TRAILOR,,,,WHAT WOULD PAY BEST << WOULD HAVE NO START UP COST >> HAVE ROLLBACK AND A C4500 CHEVY

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Susan in Lorton, Virginia said: My husband and I are looking to start a hauling company in the Dc metro area. We are new to the business and wanted to know what would be the best truck to buy to tow a few cars and trailor. I've been getting mixed reviews from combining a dually ford 350 with a car trailor for 3 cars. Any suggestions would be so helpful. Also can it be a lucrative business?

if you are going to do a 3car then a dually would be sufficient! I WOULD NOT BUY A BRAND NEW DUALLY! new duallys NO MATTER WHAT THE MAKE have probelms and will not stay on the road! dodge, ford, chevy new duallies are all having problems!! buy an older ford with a 7.3 powerstroke! i have about 3 friends that have been hauling cars for 10 years with duallys and both have had newer dodge and fords, they were in the shop constantly! they all have gone back to a 97 ford because they will go over 300k miles with minimal problems and you can pick one up for around $5500! buy a new dually and you will spend more than $5500 in interest in the first year! if you are not a ford man than buy an older dodge or an older chevy duramax! IF YOU BUY A FORD DO NOT BUY A 6.0 POWERSTROKE nothing but problems! BUY A FORD 96-01 7.3 POWERSTROKE will be the best bang for your buck! these trucks have very minimal problems and i owned 2001 that went 300k miles before it ever saw a repair shop! 300k miles needed injectors and at 350k miles i had to put a transmission in it, but i was pulling cars with it for the entire time! i also owned a 96 7.3 powerstroke that went 150k miles need a trans and 250k miles it needed a wire harness! if you buy a ford 96 or 97 be sure to put on an aftermarket transmission cooler cause the factory ones are not big enough! i needed a new trans on my 96 cause it overheated because the trans cooler was to small!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Danny in Rancho Santa Margarita, California said: I'm an active duty Marine that still has 4 years to go till I retire at 20. I do local tows on the weekends, and would like to look into a 26-35' GN flatbed so I can do LTL or 2 car hauling. So if I understand correctly, as long as I keep my gross under 26k all I need is insurance? So I only need a DOT# and authority# if I run 26,001 and up? I'm looking for clarification on that, and what else I need to do to keep out of trouble. Lastly, does anyone know how the work is in the SoCal area?

Thanks
Danny Jones
GySgt USMC
OCSemperFi@aol.com
www.SemperFiServices.org

hello danny. here is some clarification for you! if you are delivering freight for hire, for hire means you are getting paid to do it, interstate(over state lines) you need a motor carrier license or mc#! a motor carrier license requires $750k insurance! if you are delivering freight for hire intrastate(within your state) you will need a dot#! the weight means nothing! when you haul for hire you are then considered a commercial vehicle and you need commercial vehicle numbers whether it is intrastate or interstate! here in ga commercial vehicles need a state dot# for intrastate with $300k liability insurance! you will not need a federal dot# but the states do issue state dot# that you will need! the mc# and the dot# is a way to track if a commercial carrier has the correct liability insurance! with an mc# the insurance is guaranting the federal goverment that they will cover all damages to the public caused by the motor carrier insured reguardless of what state! i dont know much about california law but most states require a state dot# if you are hauling for hire reguardless of weight! contact your department of transportation and they should be able to tell you what you will need!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Danny in Oceanside, California

56 months ago

GrimRepo, thanks for the response. I've been reading alot and doing research when I can, and basically I find that with me having a full time job, it's not justifiable to buy the $5000+ a year insurance necessary to run my DOT and MC numbers. Are there any companies that I could work under thier numbers? I saw a craiglist ad in Tx where a guy was hiring to take FEMA trailers back to Ca, and he offered to cover drivers under his authority and insurance, plus $1.15 a mile, I was hoping to find something similar local that would cover me on a PT basis.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Danny in Oceanside, California said: GrimRepo, thanks for the response. I've been reading alot and doing research when I can, and basically I find that with me having a full time job, it's not justifiable to buy the $5000+ a year insurance necessary to run my DOT and MC numbers. Are there any companies that I could work under thier numbers? I saw a craiglist ad in Tx where a guy was hiring to take FEMA trailers back to Ca, and he offered to cover drivers under his authority and insurance, plus $1.15 a mile, I was hoping to find something similar local that would cover me on a PT basis.

some companies will do that! you call that leasing on! most companies that will lease you on will cover you under their insurance, but you will pay a weekly amount for that insurance! most companies will not lease you on on a part time basis. they want you to be full time so that they can make more money off of you! i cannot see you paying $5000 a year for insurance to operate within the state! although calif is a big state! usually companies that write insurance have different travel radius! i do not know what distance you travel but the shorter the distance usually the cheaper the premium! let say you only travel a maximum distance of 100 miles from home, you could get a radius of under 250 mile for your insurance! every state has different insurance regulations but i believe most insurance companies have 100mi, 250 mi, 500mi radius with over 500 mi being unlimited which is always the most expensive! i would figure out what the maximum distance you travel from your house and call up progressive commercial and ask what it would cost you! $5000 policy sounds to me like a 500 mile radius depending on your driving record! you could check around to some local towing or transport and see if they need someone to deliver cars locally! a local transport might lease you on but a towing company more than likely wont! it never hurts to ask!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

56 months ago

Thanks for the advice, I'll look into doign the terminal thing, maybe they'll hire me on for evening or weekend work. I'm working on making a 2 car trailer just incase something comes up. Worst case scenario I can sell it, it would go pretty easy out here. Thanks again- off to find a terminal!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

tbon100k in albuquerque, New Mexico

56 months ago

i have been interested in the brokerage side of car hauling/ ltl. What do i need to do to become a broker. I have hauled cars, hazardous materials, explosives, produce.... all in the past, almost 20 years ago. I've read through all the posts on this web site so if i ever want to get back into hauling on my own i think i could do it with the info you've all provided here. thanks in advance for your time and info.

t.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Dino in Portland, Michigan

56 months ago

You should find out if this is 1.00 a mile one way or round trip, for example...0ne car to Detroit 2500 mile, who pays your return cost. The insurance is very high, 250 a week, check with progressive insurance for a quote. You could go out and get your own Mc & Dot numbers and work for him and yourself, be independent. What is your gross weight of truck and trailer, try and stay under 26000 lbs, it's alot cheaper. Most cars hauling rates are so low right now, (average .35 to .50 a mile) its hard to make any money. Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

Does anyone know of any compnaies, preferably on the west coast, that'll let me run weekends under thier authority? I got 4 years til I retire from the Marines, but I'd love to make weekend runs to help with bills and really see if this is what I wantto do when I retire. Right now I can't justify all the expenses just to run 4-8 days a month.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

Danny in Oceanside, California said: Does anyone know of any compnaies, preferably on the west coast, that'll let me run weekends under thier authority? I got 4 years til I retire from the Marines, but I'd love to make weekend runs to help with bills and really see if this is what I wantto do when I retire. Right now I can't justify all the expenses just to run 4-8 days a month.

hey danny! did you look into those terminals i was telling you about?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

Danny in Oceanside, California said: Does anyone know of any compnaies, preferably on the west coast, that'll let me run weekends under thier authority? I got 4 years til I retire from the Marines, but I'd love to make weekend runs to help with bills and really see if this is what I wantto do when I retire. Right now I can't justify all the expenses just to run 4-8 days a month.

be careful danny, you will not make enough money operating your own equipment for 8 days a month! if it is on a part time basis you will need to work for someone and use their equipment! the overhead is extremely high! insurance, truck and trailer! if you lease on with someone and use their authority they are going to charge you for their insurance! just remember... it does not cost a thing to lease someone on!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Danny in Oceanside in Rancho Santa Margarita, California

55 months ago

Hey everyone, thanks for all the advise. Grimrepo, no I haven't actually had time to look into it, but I did see some the other day while doing some work north of here, so I know they're close. Hopefully this week I can maybe find someone, but I'm still in need of insurance etc etc... So unless I can lease my truck for the weekends (kinda unlikely) I won't be able to legally work until 2014.....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

dcarrgo in Las Vegas, Nevada said: I was offered a gig hauling cars with my rig (04 2500 dodge d 100k 28' enclosed tag)I've never done anything like this before. was told average $1.oo mile at 2000 miles a week. cost me $250 week to run under his insurance. sounds good to me but my wife is cautious, what questions should i ask? thanks in advance for any advice.

i read your post! i would be cautious with anything right now! hauling 2 cars at a time is difficult to make any money! they said $1 per mile and that may sound good but it really isnt! $1 a mile is that before their cut or after their cut! they will charge you a percentage of what you make! if the goverment is allowing 48 cents a mile for a tax deduction than that is what it costs to operate a vehicle! that .48 cents is only the truck and not the trailer! they have spent time on figuring out the expenses!expenses are truck payment, insurance, fuel, tires, breakdowns, repairs, straps, tolls, brakes, oil changes, fuel filters, faxes@$2 a page, damages yes their will be some damages cause accidents always happen! dino is exactly right about the back haul...their may not be one! enclosed cars are very sporadiac! i have dealt with enclosed cars and it is nothing but one big gamble! i assuming that enclosed cars is what you are talking about! i dont mean to sound like a pesimist, i am a realist! if you ALREADY have the truck and trailer and have no other means to make money i say go for it! just remember it does not cost the company you will lease to a dime! it will cost you everything! it is your equipment your fuel and they will make you pay the insurance reguardless and they are probably making some money off that insurance cause it is a little high, and remember you will still have to provide your own collision insurance for your truck cause their insurance will not cover your truck! and you just cant get collision on your truck you have to get a full policy so you will be paying 2 insurances

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

I gotta of topic sorta question- I was asked to pick up a travle trailer in Ohio and take it to Central California. The delivery distance is about 2300 miles, with total trip for me of right at 5000 miles. Fuel will cost me about $1270. What would an approriate rate ot total cost be? The customer was quoted $3000 already, and I can do it for a lot less, just curious what y'all would charge?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Danny from home in Rancho Santa Margarita, California

55 months ago

Grim, thanks for the reply. Gosh you like your exclamation points LOL. My wife took too long to give me the ok to make the run so the cutomer passed me by, but oh well. I gotta guy that wants me to get a 5th wheel from GA and stop n TX, pick up a jet ski trailer, and make the package drop in AZ. I gotta figure out what states will let me run doubles w/o endorsement. I want to do both, but not if there's a chance of getting burned not having the right license!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

mazlotransport in Pahrump, Nevada

55 months ago

Hi all we are just getting started, 2007 dodge dually/3-4 kaufman wedge carhauler we have our mc/dot/cdl/ins in place. Just wondering if any of you veterans have any tips for getting loads, staying busy and making a profit. We are on uship and central dispatch, also looking to see if we can contract with any of our local dealerships. Thanks for any advice!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

mazlotransport in Pahrump, Nevada said: Hi all we are just getting started, 2007 dodge dually/3-4 kaufman wedge carhauler we have our mc/dot/cdl/ins in place. Just wondering if any of you veterans have any tips for getting loads, staying busy and making a profit. We are on uship and central dispatch, also looking to see if we can contract with any of our local dealerships. Thanks for any advice!

central is probably your best bet. dealerships normally wont keep you busy, but they are a good source of work. you can use central to fill in what the dealers dont provide you(full loads). go to your local auto auction. you can get work there too if you have one in your area. you can make good business relationships there and alot of times the auction will rent you a booth so that when the dealers buy cars they have carriers right there to get their cars moved. the booths are pretty expensive if one is available but you should make your money back and some!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

mazlotransport in Pahrump, Nevada

53 months ago

grimrepo in Canton, Georgia said: central is probably your best bet. dealerships normally wont keep you busy, but they are a good source of work. you can use central to fill in what the dealers dont provide you(full loads). go to your local auto auction. you can get work there too if you have one in your area. you can make good business relationships there and alot of times the auction will rent you a booth so that when the dealers buy cars they have carriers right there to get their cars moved. the booths are pretty expensive if one is available but you should make your money back and some!

Thank you. So far so good. We've been pretty busy and are actually pulling a profit. We will check out the auctions too, that seems to be where all the action is at.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

oyunbileg in Saint Louis, Missouri

53 months ago

hi my name's bill please help someone i want start car hauler business i can't decided which truck's the best
one ford 5.9 6.0 or dodge 2500 or 3500

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

wade90840 in Covington, Georgia

53 months ago

Patrick in Orlando, Florida said: Hello Dears,
I am contemplating on starting up my own car hauling business. I have never been into this business before, but I love the road, I love driving and I also love the flexibility I get by being my own boss. With that said you can probably imagine why I want to get into it.
I did see it mentioned somewhere that insurance will be the biggest concern on this. I do intend to buy a pickup truck (like a F250, or RAM 2500) My intentions are to carry max 2 cars in an enclosed trailer, would that be enough?? How big a trailer do I need for 2 cars? 28 footer?Or do I have to get a 3500?? So what is an approximate monthly cost on insurance I’ll spend??
I also saw it mentioned the centraldispatch.com website, would you happen to know if that’s enough to do business constantly? Or would I have to go elsewhere to get business?
Well I think that’s it. thanks so mmuch for the help. I need to verify the feasibility of getting into it.

Central is a good site if you know how to work it. Keep your departures and empty spaces updated and you will find that folks call you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Patrick in Orlando, Florida

53 months ago

Thanks a lot my friend,
Do you have any other comments as per my other questions? Thanks I appreciated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Stephan in Dayton, Ohio

53 months ago

grimrepo in Canton, Georgia said: central is probably your best bet. dealerships normally wont keep you busy, but they are a good source of work. you can use central to fill in what the dealers dont provide you(full loads). go to your local auto auction. you can get work there too if you have one in your area. you can make good business relationships there and alot of times the auction will rent you a booth so that when the dealers buy cars they have carriers right there to get their cars moved. the booths are pretty expensive if one is available but you should make your money back and some!

Hey GrimRepo,
Was wondering how I get auto freight to broker? I am a small car hauling company here in Dayton, OH and got my brokers license. Wanting to get frieght for myself and broker some as well. I read when you wrote about all the connections in Atlanta, hoping you could help me out and lead me in the right direction,
Thanks,
Taylor Auto Transport Inc & Taylor Auto Borkerage Company (Stephan)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Caro Booher in Corinth, Mississippi

48 months ago

I work for Werner LLC I work on the broker end. I am looking for companies that will send a list of freight to be hauled. We haul commodities of all kinds!!!! I have been successful in this line of business. I know a whole lot of car haulers,my husband hauled them for 30 years

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

bigb209 in Stockton, California

47 months ago

yeah i am looking into going into a car hauler buisness that runs all 48 states and wanting to find out what would be the best route to go. I am based as of right now in california. Is there a lucrative business comming out of this state and how would you go and get contracts with people or a broker on doing this kind of business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

EWATTS in Edgewood, Maryland

43 months ago

HI MY NAME IS ERIC ,IM NEW IN THE BUSINESS I HAVE A 96 FORD 7.3 POWERSTOKE THAT RUNS GREAT AND A 3 CAR APPALACHIAN TRAILER...I WAS WONDERING IF ANYBODY COULD TELL ME WHERE TO OR DO I HAVE GET MY TRUCK AN TRAILER DOT INSPECTED OR ONCE I GET A MD STATE INSPECTION IM GOOD, I ALREADT GOT MC+DOT #... PLUS ANY SUGGESTIONS AS FAR AS GETTIN LOADS....THANKS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Peggy Boatright in Johnson City, Texas

43 months ago

Hi Eric,

Please contact me by my email pboatright306@aol.com. I can help you and I can get you loads. Hope to hear from you.

Peggy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

Grimrepo,
How long have you been car hauling? And did you start out doing it all yourself?

Peggy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

43 months ago

grimrepo in Canton, Georgia said: if you use central dispatch they will tell you how they will pay; cod, billing, quickpay, comcheck. cod is you collect a check or cash on delivery, billing is you will have to wait 7 to 30 days to get your money, quickpay is 2 days according to centraldispatch's rules, comcheck you will get a comcheck code once you send in your paper work

Grimrepo,
I have some questions about car hauling and I wanted to ask you how long have you been car hauling and are you doing it all yourself or do you have someone dispatching for you?
Please contact me at my email: pboatright306@aol.com.
Thanks, hope to hear from you
Pegs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Emanuel23 in Lake Worth, Florida

43 months ago

I am starting my own bussiness on car transport 3 to 4 cars... i already know everything i have to get the only problem that i am having is finding a broker does anyone can help me with that?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Larry in Vacaville, California

42 months ago

I have searched this message board and other sites on the net and would like to hear from other brokers are the relationships needed to begin a car broker business and some of the ins & outs that come with being around the business. Not looking to make lots of money over-nite, just something to grow and make better over the years. In Ca. there must be enough work to keep another broker busy.

Would like to hear from brokers with advice or assistance to get started.

larsosu@aol.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gene in Neptune, New Jersey

42 months ago

Heather78 in Cudahy, Wisconsin said: The most important thing to remember when getting into car hauling is insurance. CYA meaning Cover Your A$@. I'm the Regional Ops Manager for a car hauling and brokering outfit. I've helped a couple of friends start up their own rigs. It's not hard. You have your truck already. Just buy yourself a 3 car wedge( you can find them at auctions Kauffamn is a decent brand) get the insurance you need, and register with the website Central Dispatch and your ready to go... Or are you? Ask yourself some questions. Do you have the capital to work out of pocket for a month before the money rolls in, or will you need to take loads that are all COD(cash on delivery) or quick pay( pay within so many days after you fax in the bills less a whatever % fee) I'm not trying to discourage you. There is money to be made. But make sure you make the wise choices. If you have any questions feel free to email me directly and I will answer them best as I can, or get the answers for you. Heather@jamupautotransport.com

Hello Heather, we are new to the business and are seeking information for start up.
We were advised to start with a 2 car carrier as 3 and up require a
CDL license, expensive insurance, etc. However, it is difficult to find 2 car haulers. So we are looking into flatbeds. What is your opinion as to which is the better way to go. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank Gene N.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

CHRIS in Memphis, Tennessee

42 months ago

I HAVE A QUESTIONS I JUST BOUT ME A 99 F350 V10 WITH A 6.8. IF I GOT INTO THE TRUCKING BUSINESS WILL I SURVIVE OUT THERE WITH A GAS DUALLY? OH I AM LOCATED IN MEMPHIS TENNESSEE AND ALSO WONDERING IS THIS A GOOD LOCATION TO HAUL CARS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

sebas in Dallas, Texas

42 months ago

Can anyone fill these survey ?

www.surveymonkey.com/s/VQHXSVT

Brisco in Fort Worth, Texas

42 months ago

Most of your Car Hauling Questions can be answered here: www.autoexpeditor.com

We can answer most of your Getting Set-Up, Equipment Choice, Billing, Insurance, Broker Issues, and General questions when it comes to running your own Auto Hauling business. Plus, there's a big community of other Auto Haulers there that you can BS with all day long if you want. Stop By!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

CHRIS in Memphis, Tennessee said: I HAVE A QUESTIONS I JUST BOUT ME A 99 F350 V10 WITH A 6.8. IF I GOT INTO THE TRUCKING BUSINESS WILL I SURVIVE OUT THERE WITH A GAS DUALLY? OH I AM LOCATED IN MEMPHIS TENNESSEE AND ALSO WONDERING IS THIS A GOOD LOCATION TO HAUL CARS

it will be challenging with a v-10 as opposed to a diesel. a diesel will get better gas mileage and last longer. it is hard with a dually now because of the high fuel prices. another thing to consider is with a gas burner you can only carry so much fuel without needing a hazmat permit. if you are just going to use the factory tank of 38 gallons x 8mpgs=304 miles. you will have to stop every three hundred miles to get fuel. then you will have to find a station where you can get a big trailer and your truck to the fuel pumps?? a diesel dually you can put a spare hundred gallon tank in the bed, and not be so limited in fuel stopping. diesel is not combustable like gasoline so you can carry more legally without being a hazard. dont quite know what the legal limit gasoline you can carry without needing hazmat but if i am not mistaking it is 50-75 gallons! i would not advise a gas burner over a diesel unless you are doing in town hauling not otr. good luck to you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

Gene in Neptune, New Jersey said: Hello Heather,

i would not advise a 2 car trailer, you wont make it! it is hard enough to make it with a 3 car trailer let alone a 2 car trailer. between fuel, insurance, maintenance on truck and trailer there will be no money left for yourself. go thru the figures yourself with fuel prices, maintenance etc you will figure that you will not make enough. if your running a dually you can figure $50 for oil change, $30 for fuel filter change and thats every 5000mi. you then will have to replace tires at $125 per tire. air filters, transmissions,meals while on the road, showers, hotel every once in awhile. whoever told you to get a 2 car hauler does not have experience operating/owning equipment. if they did have experience they would know the costs involved and wouldnt even suggested two car hauler! cars typically pay from 30cents to 60cents per mile. sometimes you will get some for a $1 per mile but on average you can consider .50 cents per mile. with 2 cars you are running $1 per mile loaded. fuel alone will cost .40 cents per mile($4 per gallon@10 miles per gallon). so you are making .60cents a mile to cover truck and trailer costs and insurance and paying yourself, you wont make it. you can go drive for jb hunt or schneider and they will pay you .30cents per mile. i hate to be blunt but i hate even more for people to lose money and ruin their credit due to bad advise from someone that doesnt have a clue! ask this person that advised you to buy a 2 car hauler,they buy equip they take risk and pay you!? once it is profitable you will buy equip

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

42 months ago

Peggy Boatright in Johnson City, Texas said: Grimrepo,
How long have you been car hauling? And did you start out doing it all yourself?

Peggy

been in car hauling since 1997. yes i started out doing it all myself. i have driven trucks(owner/operator) have leased trucks on, brokered freight, dispatched, have leased on to other companies. i have extensive knowledge, hands on, of the car hauling business in every aspect. i was on centraldispatch when it first started in 99 and can remember only seeing a few names everytime i went on there. now there is probably 50,000 carriers, brokers, car dealers. wish i was central dispatch!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

M Goldberg in Miami

42 months ago

cant you get on Central ?

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.