Building a car hauler business

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 132)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Lee Garrett in Columbus, Ohio

82 months ago

I will be getting out of the army in 6 months or so. I have been looking at a dodge 4500 and a take 3 3/4 car trailer. I will be moving back to Indianapolis IN is there a market for car haulers in the mid west. Ive looked into insurance cost ECT im just trying to see if its worth trying. I also need to find a start up plan for this type of buisness

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (441) / No (67) Reply - Report abuse

infotranllc2007@yahoo.com in Hollywood, Florida

67 months ago

I need a little information on getting started in the auto transportation, I currently an owner operator with three truck pullin reefers and im trying to get into another field less problems with reefer breakdowns in the missle of the night if you can help I would be most gracious if you can assist me in this process. Thanks again..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (106) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

keya in Gainesville, Florida

66 months ago

Heather78 in Cudahy, Wisconsin said: The most important thing to remember when getting into car hauling is insurance. CYA meaning Cover Your A$@. I'm the Regional Ops Manager for a car hauling and brokering outfit. I've helped a couple of friends start up their own rigs. It's not hard. You have your truck already. Just buy yourself a 3 car wedge( you can find them at auctions Kauffamn is a decent brand) get the insurance you need, and register with the website Central Dispatch and your ready to go... Or are you? Ask yourself some questions. Do you have the capital to work out of pocket for a month before the money rolls in, or will you need to take loads that are all COD(cash on delivery) or quick pay( pay within so many days after you fax in the bills less a whatever % fee) I'm not trying to discourage you. There is money to be made. But make sure you make the wise choices. If you have any questions feel free to email me directly and I will answer them best as I can, or get the answers for you. Heather@jamupautotransport.com

would you mind contacting me Keya703@yahoo.com
thanks ku

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (75) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Alex in Fresno, California

65 months ago

Alex in Fresno, California said: how hard is it to start a car hauling buisnes I just whant to haul two to three cars at a time if someone could help me and tell me where I need to start also is there money to be made
alextaylor.1980@hotmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (69) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Dino in Stockbridge, Michigan

64 months ago

G Teal in Marietta, Georgia said: Hey Grimrepo i tried to email you a few days ago. My current job is not paying the bills and i am falling behind fast. I know a few people here in metro Atlanta in the car business that have said they could give me some of their overflow if i get into the car hauling business. I know of a 48 ft 3/4 wedge here locally i can get for 4k and i can get a used dually truck with 100k or so on it at the auction for 12k. I was quoted earlier today if i stayed in a 500 mile radius of Atlanta i could get insured for about 5k a year. Am i fooling myself that i will be able to support my family hauling cars? Also if i am registered and insured i can haul anything from boats to farm equipment if i buy another trailer down the road. Any input from anyone would be great. I am getting desperate and my bills are piling up fast. Thank you!

You are in a great location. Try and look into hauling ltl freight (less start up cost) get a gooseneck flat bed 14000 lbs trailer with ramps, this way you can haul anything that will fit, cars rates are real bad right now. get back with me. briarlane@cablespeed.com......yes you can support your family doing ltl freight, I get calls all the time for contruction equipment, farm equipment. Start out with a dodge diesel only 3/4 or 1 ton, the rest are real trouble (GM & Ford)then there's a lot of used gn trailer for sale. You should earn at least 800. to 1200. a week min. to 300. a day. Dino

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

oyunbileg in Saint Louis, Missouri

60 months ago

hi my name's bill please help someone i want start car hauler business i can't decided which truck's the best
one ford 5.9 6.0 or dodge 2500 or 3500

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Patrick in Orlando, Florida

60 months ago

Thanks a lot my friend,
Do you have any other comments as per my other questions? Thanks I appreciated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Stephan in Dayton, Ohio

60 months ago

grimrepo in Canton, Georgia said: central is probably your best bet. dealerships normally wont keep you busy, but they are a good source of work. you can use central to fill in what the dealers dont provide you(full loads). go to your local auto auction. you can get work there too if you have one in your area. you can make good business relationships there and alot of times the auction will rent you a booth so that when the dealers buy cars they have carriers right there to get their cars moved. the booths are pretty expensive if one is available but you should make your money back and some!

Hey GrimRepo,
Was wondering how I get auto freight to broker? I am a small car hauling company here in Dayton, OH and got my brokers license. Wanting to get frieght for myself and broker some as well. I read when you wrote about all the connections in Atlanta, hoping you could help me out and lead me in the right direction,
Thanks,
Taylor Auto Transport Inc & Taylor Auto Borkerage Company (Stephan)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Caro Booher in Corinth, Mississippi

55 months ago

I work for Werner LLC I work on the broker end. I am looking for companies that will send a list of freight to be hauled. We haul commodities of all kinds!!!! I have been successful in this line of business. I know a whole lot of car haulers,my husband hauled them for 30 years

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

bigb209 in Stockton, California

54 months ago

yeah i am looking into going into a car hauler buisness that runs all 48 states and wanting to find out what would be the best route to go. I am based as of right now in california. Is there a lucrative business comming out of this state and how would you go and get contracts with people or a broker on doing this kind of business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

EWATTS in Edgewood, Maryland

50 months ago

HI MY NAME IS ERIC ,IM NEW IN THE BUSINESS I HAVE A 96 FORD 7.3 POWERSTOKE THAT RUNS GREAT AND A 3 CAR APPALACHIAN TRAILER...I WAS WONDERING IF ANYBODY COULD TELL ME WHERE TO OR DO I HAVE GET MY TRUCK AN TRAILER DOT INSPECTED OR ONCE I GET A MD STATE INSPECTION IM GOOD, I ALREADT GOT MC+DOT #... PLUS ANY SUGGESTIONS AS FAR AS GETTIN LOADS....THANKS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Peggy Boatright in Johnson City, Texas

50 months ago

Hi Eric,

Please contact me by my email pboatright306@aol.com. I can help you and I can get you loads. Hope to hear from you.

Peggy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

Grimrepo,
How long have you been car hauling? And did you start out doing it all yourself?

Peggy

50 months ago

grimrepo in Canton, Georgia said: if you use central dispatch they will tell you how they will pay; cod, billing, quickpay, comcheck. cod is you collect a check or cash on delivery, billing is you will have to wait 7 to 30 days to get your money, quickpay is 2 days according to centraldispatch's rules, comcheck you will get a comcheck code once you send in your paper work

Grimrepo,
I have some questions about car hauling and I wanted to ask you how long have you been car hauling and are you doing it all yourself or do you have someone dispatching for you?
Please contact me at my email: pboatright306@aol.com.
Thanks, hope to hear from you
Pegs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Emanuel23 in Lake Worth, Florida

50 months ago

I am starting my own bussiness on car transport 3 to 4 cars... i already know everything i have to get the only problem that i am having is finding a broker does anyone can help me with that?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Larry in Vacaville, California

49 months ago

I have searched this message board and other sites on the net and would like to hear from other brokers are the relationships needed to begin a car broker business and some of the ins & outs that come with being around the business. Not looking to make lots of money over-nite, just something to grow and make better over the years. In Ca. there must be enough work to keep another broker busy.

Would like to hear from brokers with advice or assistance to get started.

larsosu@aol.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gene in Neptune, New Jersey

49 months ago

Heather78 in Cudahy, Wisconsin said: The most important thing to remember when getting into car hauling is insurance. CYA meaning Cover Your A$@. I'm the Regional Ops Manager for a car hauling and brokering outfit. I've helped a couple of friends start up their own rigs. It's not hard. You have your truck already. Just buy yourself a 3 car wedge( you can find them at auctions Kauffamn is a decent brand) get the insurance you need, and register with the website Central Dispatch and your ready to go... Or are you? Ask yourself some questions. Do you have the capital to work out of pocket for a month before the money rolls in, or will you need to take loads that are all COD(cash on delivery) or quick pay( pay within so many days after you fax in the bills less a whatever % fee) I'm not trying to discourage you. There is money to be made. But make sure you make the wise choices. If you have any questions feel free to email me directly and I will answer them best as I can, or get the answers for you. Heather@jamupautotransport.com

Hello Heather, we are new to the business and are seeking information for start up.
We were advised to start with a 2 car carrier as 3 and up require a
CDL license, expensive insurance, etc. However, it is difficult to find 2 car haulers. So we are looking into flatbeds. What is your opinion as to which is the better way to go. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank Gene N.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

CHRIS in Memphis, Tennessee

49 months ago

I HAVE A QUESTIONS I JUST BOUT ME A 99 F350 V10 WITH A 6.8. IF I GOT INTO THE TRUCKING BUSINESS WILL I SURVIVE OUT THERE WITH A GAS DUALLY? OH I AM LOCATED IN MEMPHIS TENNESSEE AND ALSO WONDERING IS THIS A GOOD LOCATION TO HAUL CARS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

sebas in Dallas, Texas

49 months ago

Can anyone fill these survey ?

www.surveymonkey.com/s/VQHXSVT

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Brisco in Fort Worth, Texas

49 months ago

Most of your Car Hauling Questions can be answered here: www.autoexpeditor.com

We can answer most of your Getting Set-Up, Equipment Choice, Billing, Insurance, Broker Issues, and General questions when it comes to running your own Auto Hauling business. Plus, there's a big community of other Auto Haulers there that you can BS with all day long if you want. Stop By!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

grimrepo in Canton, Georgia

49 months ago

CHRIS in Memphis, Tennessee said: I HAVE A QUESTIONS I JUST BOUT ME A 99 F350 V10 WITH A 6.8. IF I GOT INTO THE TRUCKING BUSINESS WILL I SURVIVE OUT THERE WITH A GAS DUALLY? OH I AM LOCATED IN MEMPHIS TENNESSEE AND ALSO WONDERING IS THIS A GOOD LOCATION TO HAUL CARS

it will be challenging with a v-10 as opposed to a diesel. a diesel will get better gas mileage and last longer. it is hard with a dually now because of the high fuel prices. another thing to consider is with a gas burner you can only carry so much fuel without needing a hazmat permit. if you are just going to use the factory tank of 38 gallons x 8mpgs=304 miles. you will have to stop every three hundred miles to get fuel. then you will have to find a station where you can get a big trailer and your truck to the fuel pumps?? a diesel dually you can put a spare hundred gallon tank in the bed, and not be so limited in fuel stopping. diesel is not combustable like gasoline so you can carry more legally without being a hazard. dont quite know what the legal limit gasoline you can carry without needing hazmat but if i am not mistaking it is 50-75 gallons! i would not advise a gas burner over a diesel unless you are doing in town hauling not otr. good luck to you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

Gene in Neptune, New Jersey said: Hello Heather,

i would not advise a 2 car trailer, you wont make it! it is hard enough to make it with a 3 car trailer let alone a 2 car trailer. between fuel, insurance, maintenance on truck and trailer there will be no money left for yourself. go thru the figures yourself with fuel prices, maintenance etc you will figure that you will not make enough. if your running a dually you can figure $50 for oil change, $30 for fuel filter change and thats every 5000mi. you then will have to replace tires at $125 per tire. air filters, transmissions,meals while on the road, showers, hotel every once in awhile. whoever told you to get a 2 car hauler does not have experience operating/owning equipment. if they did have experience they would know the costs involved and wouldnt even suggested two car hauler! cars typically pay from 30cents to 60cents per mile. sometimes you will get some for a $1 per mile but on average you can consider .50 cents per mile. with 2 cars you are running $1 per mile loaded. fuel alone will cost .40 cents per mile($4 per gallon@10 miles per gallon). so you are making .60cents a mile to cover truck and trailer costs and insurance and paying yourself, you wont make it. you can go drive for jb hunt or schneider and they will pay you .30cents per mile. i hate to be blunt but i hate even more for people to lose money and ruin their credit due to bad advise from someone that doesnt have a clue! ask this person that advised you to buy a 2 car hauler,they buy equip they take risk and pay you!? once it is profitable you will buy equip

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

Peggy Boatright in Johnson City, Texas said: Grimrepo,
How long have you been car hauling? And did you start out doing it all yourself?

Peggy

been in car hauling since 1997. yes i started out doing it all myself. i have driven trucks(owner/operator) have leased trucks on, brokered freight, dispatched, have leased on to other companies. i have extensive knowledge, hands on, of the car hauling business in every aspect. i was on centraldispatch when it first started in 99 and can remember only seeing a few names everytime i went on there. now there is probably 50,000 carriers, brokers, car dealers. wish i was central dispatch!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

M Goldberg in Miami

49 months ago

cant you get on Central ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

M Goldberg in Miami

49 months ago

CHRIS said: IM IN MEMPHIS TENNESSEE AND IM SERIOUSLY THINKING ABOUT GETTING INTO THE CAR HAULING BUSINESS WITH ME A DUALLY AND A 3 CAR TRAILER. I HAVE A QUESTION IF I USE CENTRAL DISPATCH OR ANY OTHER DISPATCH SERVICES HOW WILL I GET PAID?

The way it works Chris is when you fgind a load on central, you contact the broker and let them know your interested in the load. They will then assign you the load through central, jtracker, or Sol or whatever software they use. You will know if it is a COD, prepay or comcheck when you talk to the broker. If I can answer any other questions on how it works, let me know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Tim in Memphis, Tennessee

46 months ago

Hello board.. I'm looking to get into car hauling.. I have A few questions, Can i use a flatbed trl instead of a wedge? I just want to be open to other freight as well if so what length can use for three cars?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

nextdeal in Lebanon, Tennessee

43 months ago

My son in law has a Pete for sale. Interested? Let me know. Thanks, Brenda

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

john in Brooklyn, New York

42 months ago

i am used car dealer ,i have f 350 ,and i want to haul my own cars,3/4 cars ,do i have to get permit for that ,how it works ,thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

charles in Ambler, Pennsylvania

42 months ago

just read what i feel good information...i'm ready to get out the military and been thinking about the car hauling bussiness, this web site central dispatch, will it tell me everything about the pay and is it nessary to get paid monthly or will it give you a bad name for COD. i want to get a dodge 3500 w/5th wheel a 3 to 4 car carrier, but i need to have contacts, i live in the baltimore area just need alot of info. HELP>>> send everything you got phone#, fax, Email matter of fact im in PA. now at the Gap...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

tow guy in Concord, California

41 months ago

I was a machanic for over ten years and now I open up my own tow business. I run regular flatbeds localy but I have been looking into getting a 4 car trailer and a dually dodge and dealiver to the dealers and maybe using it for running wrecked cars for copart. So then I can run 4 not just two any more. Is there any companies I could call in my area to find out what they will pay to deliver cars to the dealers in my area? Also does anyone haul wrecked cars on these kind of beds and is it harder to get the cars on and off for the delivers? I really don't want to go out of my area I would like to be able to drop a few cars for a dealer then pick up a few wrecked cars and come back and try to double up on my travels. Most of my trucks get 12 loaded with two cars what will I be looking at for MPG towing a 4 car trailer with a 3500 dodge diesel dually?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

sporter in Bel Air, Maryland

41 months ago

Hi Dino,

I am looking to get into the auto hauling business too. What is the best pick up truck to use in the industry? What are your thoughts on the C4500, I think it is a GMC product.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

Hi Maceo,

When you get your MC number and start going to the places to pick up autos to transport, they will come after you; so I am told by a friend that is in the business already. You may want get a TWIC card if you don't have one to move any loads of the ports. You will need it; it cost $132.50 and take 6 to 8 weeks to obtain. I believe they do a background check on you. You can call up some of the companies on Central Dispatch and let them know you are out there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

Gene,

I don't think you need a CDL for a 3 car hauler. If you are in a pick up truck, you are not considered commercial.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

SemperFiServices in Rancho Santa Margarita, California

41 months ago

sporter in Bel Air, Maryland said: Gene,

I don't think you need a CDL for a 3 car hauler. If you are in a pick up truck, you are not considered commercial.

WHOA- hold up on the bad gouge!! You more than likely WILL need a CDL with a 3 car wedge. Reason being any standard 3 car wedge will be over 18k (mine is rated for 21k) plus a 1 ton pick up being about 8k, you will be over 26k. SO, you can get by if the manufacturer rates it lower than normal, and as long as you keep it under 26k you'll be ok, but go ahead and get popped at 26,001 and standby for a DOT raping. Pick up or not- if you're over 26j YOU ARE COMMERCIAL- but in California you won't have to pull into the scales. I always say if you can get your CDL, get it- you can get better paying loads by virtue of being able to haul more, and it will help you be a safer driver. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Richard in Trenton, New Jersey

41 months ago

I currently have a day job and most likey i would do it in the tri state area on Saturdays only.
I have an F350 V10 gas and a 7x17 car trailer... it's not the 3 car haulers everyone talks about, but eventually it would be something i would consider.
also what are the rates per mile around New Jersey?
I tried Uship but could never win any bids where i would make a little more money then breaking even!!

Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Gene

40 months ago

Richard in Trenton, New Jersey said: I currently have a day job and most likey i would do it in the tri state area on Saturdays only.
I have an F350 V10 gas and a 7x17 car trailer... it's not the 3 car haulers everyone talks about, but eventually it would be something i would consider.
also what are the rates per mile around New Jersey?
I tried Uship but could never win any bids where i would make a little more money then breaking even!!

Thanks.

Some calculations on your question. Towing your F350 is spending 10-12mpg. The move of a regular sedan for example: From NJ to PA in a 430miles trip, gets paid $250-$300. Then you'll find a another car to get back for the same price. Basically, with your equipment in the best case scenario you'll make $600. You'll spend around 71 gallons (if the drop off and the pick-up from the first and the second trip are relatively close to each other) of gas x approx. $3.70/gal ~ $263 gas. I'm not counting the food, eventual repairs, tolls. 2 day trip you'll probably make $250-$300 (if there is a good fat tip). All calculations are approximate, based on the car pay at this moment on the national board.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kurt in Washington, District of Columbia

40 months ago

I'm trying to start a car hauling business. I purchased a F550 and have been working on it. Right now I'm saving for a trailer. I need some help. First off, I'm having trouble with the insurance. No tickets, accidents or anything like that, but the truck needs commercial insurance just because of it's size. However, I don't want to pay for Business level (million dollars) for the next 2 months when I'm not driving or in business. Can anyone suggest an insurance company besides Progressive? A company who actually knows what they are doing. I have Geico and I've gotten answers from a few thousands dollars to I can't be insured.

2nd, For getting insurance quotes I'm being asked what I'm going to haul? I said cars and any other equipment that will fit on a flat bed trailer. Seemed to confuse every insurance company that I called, almost making them sketchy about giving me a quote. Any suggestions on a 3 car hauler vs a 25-30' gooseneck flatbed?

3rd, do you think you could point me in the direction of financing for a trailer or sellers who might work a deal on a trailer?

Last, do you think I should get rid of my F550 dually and back down to a 350/3500 series dually. My GVW is 20k on the truck. The trailer puts me over 27k. I'm not sure it's worth the headache to keep the truck since it's the same 7.3 diesel and only the frame is bigger (expensive insurance, parts, inspection, etc).

Thanks in advance for your help

TheBusinessSpot@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Todd in Fall River, Massachusetts

39 months ago

H.A.J in New Bedford, Massachusetts said: What's going on everybody .My names Saint and I'm new to this . I have a three car trailer and would to know What's the going rate for maybe let's say a 10-30 mile trip. Is there
A set rate for short distance like that or should I just be charging by the mile , And if so what's todays going rate per mile . Thanks to whoever responds.

Hey Saint,
I don't have the answer to your question, but I want to start hauling cars also. I have many of the same questions as you. How are you developing your customer base? how to get into auctions, ect.I would love to network with you, maybe we could help each other. I'm beginning to learn just how secretive other haulers and action dispaters can be when you ask questions.
tplissey@comcast.net

-todd

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sash in Teasdale, Utah

39 months ago

Have 8 car hauler. 91 Freightliner. Older truck w/ lower original engine miles. Runs strong. Apportioned for 48 states. Right now running in the western U.S. Making 3,500. average a trip. I am doing all the dispatching and paperwork for my boyfriend who is the driver. I want to pursue other interests, and also trying to support my mom right now through chemotherapy. Have considered selling the truck for 17,900., but my bf really likes it & wants to keep driving. Anyone wanna team up/partner with him so I can have more time? We could teach you all you want to know. You would have to bring something to the table, and work out details of a partnership. It also wouldn't cost that much more to add a second truck to our business. Any other ideas? Open to suggestions. Be safe out there! Email me: sash@rock.com

nate in Nampa, Idaho

39 months ago

Hey everyone, i lost my job in January and used to help haul cars. I am looking for someone outside Nampa,Id to help me set up a 3/4 car transit business. anybody interested contact me at wrekincrewtowing@gmail.com. Please I am needing help in starting this up thanks!! I am in need of help with insurance requirements and permits going outside state lines.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nate in Nampa, Idaho

39 months ago

Todd in Fall River, Massachusetts said: Hey Saint,
I don't have the answer to your question, but I want to start hauling cars also. I have many of the same questions as you. How are you developing your customer base? how to get into auctions, ect.I would love to network with you, maybe we could help each other. I'm beginning to learn just how secretive other haulers and action dispaters can be when you ask questions.
tplissey@comcast.net

-todd

I have been using searh engines for competive rates..To give you an example from Nampa ID to Seattle WA which is 500 miles roughly.. average cost is 500-800 a car depending on pick date and time... SHort haul in town the rates are about 100-150 / car for under 50 miles. But this is in Idaho. If you are interested please contact me @ wrekincrewtowing@gmail.com. I am also starting up a 1-ton hauling company with a 3-4 car hauler.

Alex in Las Vegas, Nevada

38 months ago

I have been in car carriers from 2008, it was bad and good. Moving cars from Chicago to LA. Small cars $700 and SUV $1000. The average in a good time is $2.20 per mile. From my experience the best is 7-8 cars carrier. You don't have to wait a long time to find for example 10 cars going the same way. Most of the customers expect their cars after 5-6 days. I never tried to drive these 5 cars carriers, Pete 330, is one truck - no trailer, very easy to drive in tide locations. In this business you need a very good dispatcher. It is not possible to make good money, if you dispatch your self.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

vazauto in Rochester, New York

38 months ago

I've been thinking of getting into the businss with the model 5pack. Does anyone think that would be a good idea?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Ontario Fullard in Florence, South Carolina

37 months ago

Heather78 in Cudahy, Wisconsin said: The most important thing to remember when getting into car hauling is insurance . CYA meaning Cover Your A$@. I'm the Regional Ops Manager for a car hauling and brokering outfit. I've helped a couple of friends start up their own rigs. It's not hard. You have your truck already. Just buy yourself a 3 car wedge( you can find them at auctions Kauffamn is a decent brand) get the insurance you need, and register with the website Central Dispatch and your ready to go... Or are you? Ask yourself some questions. Do you have the capital to work out of pocket for a month before the money rolls in, or will you need to take loads that are all COD(cash on delivery ) or quick pay( pay within so many days after you fax in the bills less a whatever % fee) I'm not trying to discourage you. There is money to be made. But make sure you make the wise choices. If you have any questions feel free to email me directly and I will answer them best as I can, or get the answers for you. Heather@jamupautotransport.com

Hello,My name is Ontario Fullard and im currently thinking about going into my car hauling business witht a friend of mines. Sitting back and thinking about all the expenses we will have to deal with has seem to be misunderstood because neither of us has ever did this before. But I currently hold a CDL, which i drove semi trucks. I would appreciate if you can let me know what are some of the major expenses we should be expecting and what should we do to get started(paperwork, expenses, etc)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

fire_lane_11 in Greensboro, North Carolina

35 months ago

nextdeal in Lebanon, Tennessee said: My son in law has a Pete for sale. Interested? Let me know. Thanks, Brenda

Brenda, are you crossroads dispatch?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Theresa in Essex, Maryland

33 months ago

I want to get in the business of car hauling/transportation.I"m reading everyone forum and it sound good. Could you help me and lean me in the right direction on how to get started. I heard from Maryland to California that it will pay about $3,000 a car. Is that true? I have call the labor, licensing and regulation and transporations department both stated that they dont give license for that type of business. Where can i apply for s license? Please feel free to email me at reaves.theresa@yahoo.com

nickpick in Saint George, Utah

32 months ago

Hey my name is nick. I'm wanting to start my own car hauling business and looking for help on how to get started??? Like how much it will cost and how big of trailer 4/5 car hauler trailer?? I found a 2012 1 ton dully cummins with a utility flat bed wondering if its a smart choice its still under factory warranty?? Just any help or someone to help point me in the right direction of what to do with insurance and licencing?? And how to get loads? I have my class A CDL with all endorsements.. I saw ades reply was wondering if you knew or anyone else???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

moverman in Colorado

32 months ago

Hi All, Im an agent for a large broker that deals strictly in general freight - no one here has any experiance in auto transport. I was in the household business for many years before I started brokering and hauled cars many times in my moving van but they were always part of a HHG shipment. I have a couple friends that are car haulers and they seem to do well but they dont have any accounts of their own.
I'm toying with the idea of getting into this field from the broker side. I dont really want to be involved with the private party, one car - one time kind of customer. My question is simply this.....who arranges the transportation of new autos from the factory to the dealer, is it the local dealer or the actual mfg?
I figure those that know the answer probably wont want to give it up but thought I would give it a shot and see what I get back.
Thanks for reading.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

folgrslady in Dahlonega, Georgia

32 months ago

grimrepo in Canton, Georgia said: if you use central dispatch they will tell you how they will pay; cod, billing , quickpay, comcheck. cod is you collect a check or cash on delivery , billing is you will have to wait 7 to 30 days to get your money, quickpay is 2 days according to centraldispatch's rules, comcheck you will get a comcheck code once you send in your paper work

Hi Grimrepo, Please contact me as I have a few questions to ask. folgrslady@aol.com

folgrslady in Dahlonega, Georgia

32 months ago

What a train wreck. Called FMCA, D.O.T. and you get conflicting answers on everything. What a headache.

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.