Who quotes the price of a load? Shipper? Broker or Carrier?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

tatz in Abbotsford, British Columbia

22 months ago

I'm trying to learn the business of a freight brokerage. When a freight broker is trying to land a load. Who decides on what price that load is going to be hauled at? Does the shipper already have a price in mind or does the shipper ask for a quote? If a broker is to quote on a load, how does he know a carrier company will accept it or not? Is there a universal rate sheet in the trucking industry that brokers & carriers use to determine the shipping price? Yes, I know this may sound like a layman question, but I don't have inside experience and no question can ever be to silly. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

JohnInElPasoTx in El Paso

22 months ago

To the point - negotiation

Freight Brokers in Kewanee, Illinois

21 months ago

tatz in Abbotsford, British Columbia said: I'm trying to learn the business of a freight brokerage. When a freight broker is trying to land a load. Who decides on what price that load is going to be hauled at? Does the shipper already have a price in mind or does the shipper ask for a quote? If a broker is to quote on a load, how does he know a carrier company will accept it or not? Is there a universal rate sheet in the trucking industry that brokers & carriers use to determine the shipping price? Yes, I know this may sound like a layman question, but I don't have inside experience and no question can ever be to silly. Thanks.

The Broker should always quote the price to his shipper and the truck. Once you loase control of the load in the negotiation, you lose the load period.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Haley in Albany, Ohio

21 months ago

JohnInElPasoTx in El Paso said: To the point - negotiation

The price is a negotiation process. You MUST know your customer... you need to already know what he is moving before you speak with him... but let's assume you've spoken with him several times.... Rate is based on YOUR knowledge of the trailer type required vs. the weight vs. the milage vs. the area of the country it is going to and coming from ... vs. truck availability. YOU should know what you can move his freight for and go from there. Hope thst helps. Best wishes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Azamat

3 months ago

I am truck driver, for example my carrier gave me load for $2000 but from broker got $3000, what should I do, should I report somewhere, this is illegal money carrier should take only percent from my load, now my carrier taking extra money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Azamat

3 months ago

If my carrier getting like this money in every load from every driver will be million dollar for only sitting in front of computer and telephone, very easy earning money for carrier bosses and dispatches, but every work doing drivers on the road weeks or monthes without going home in hot summer or cold winter but earning very less money, somebody can help me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

GC in Charlotte, Michigan

3 months ago

Azamat said: I am truck driver, for example my carrier gave me load for $2000 but from broker got $3000, what should I do, should I report somewhere, this is illegal money carrier should take only percent from my load, now my carrier taking extra money.

Ok, I'm confused. So you had a $5000 load? Your carrier took $2k and the broker gave you $3k leaving you with...what?

Azamat

3 months ago

For example my career taking load from broker for $3000 but dispatch told me by phone $2000 i am saying this is cheap, dispatch ok broker give you $2200 i say ok. But my career earning extra $800 and also 18% from $2200 and they giving me total $1804. Every work doing driver on the road earning very less money, one time $500 one time $500 less it will be max $2 per mile in a week total from gross money, is it correct?

GC in Eaton Rapids, Michigan

3 months ago

Azamat said: For example my career taking load from broker for $3000 but dispatch told me by phone $2000 i am saying this is cheap, dispatch ok broker give you $2200 i say ok. But my career earning extra $800 and also 18% from $2200 and they giving me total $1804. Every work doing driver on the road earning very less money, one time $500 one time $500 less it will be max $2 per mile in a week total from gross money, is it correct?

You know Azamat, I'd find another carrier. You need to get to the bottom of what funds your carrier is taking off the top of each load you haul. Don't talk to dispatch, all they'll do is give you the runaround. Talk to payroll or somebody in mgmt. Are other drivers in your company being ripped off like you are? What does your contract say?

Azamat in Brooklyn, New York

3 months ago

Yes other drivers also don't agree with these prices, we know prices very low because of our friends working in another career also their load $200-$500 more expensive everytime. Doesn't matter dispatch or payroll they are one group, that's why I am saying you where should I report?

azamat_uz@mail.ru

OffRoadRuckus in Naubinway, Michigan

3 months ago

Azamat in Brooklyn, New York said: Yes other drivers also don't agree with these prices, we know prices very low because of our friends working in another career also their load $200-$500 more expensive every time. Doesn't matter dispatch or payroll they are one group, that's why I am saying you where should I report?

azamat_uz@mail.ru

Well, sounds like to me IMO you should start with the NY Labor Board. www.labor.ny.gov or call them to start a case assuming your company is out of NY. If the company is out of another state do a Google search for '<state> labor board' and go from there. Good luck and I'd park the truck or refuse to deliver a load til you get to the bottom of it.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.