Broker Buddy Jump in Help me out

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (29)

BrokersBuddy in Blaine, Washington

77 months ago

lol...

I think it was business magazine where I read the article about being a Freight Broker Agent a while back.

They made it sound like an easy "GET RICH QUICK", anyone can do job...

Well, after a total of 27 years in the transportation industry, working in all aspects of the business, and currently working as a semi-retired part-time broker agent, and a part-time agent trainer, I am here to say, DO NOT listen to ANYONE that tells you you'll get rich quick doing this job.

Don't get me wrong... There is GREAT money to be made as an agent. The job is not real hard to learn, and you work from home.

The position itself is commission based. That means if you don't move ANY loads, you don't get ANY money.

A broker or broker agents job is "simply put" a match maker. You will have to make a lot of phone calls when you first start out, and you probably won't be seeing a lot of money for a WHOLE BUNCH of work.

I tell everyone that asks me, "How long will it take before I can be making decent money brokering freight?"

That really depends on the person... Too hard to just give one straight answer.

On average... You won't start making anything as far as paying the bills money for about 2 to 4 weeks.

AGAIN... That's JUST paying the bills, and that's ONLY if you're willing to bust your butt prospecting for new customers.

If you are really working as hardas you should be, you will be on the phone from 5am PST to 4pm PST... with breaks in between. But a SOLID 10 to 11 hours of making as many phone calls as you can.

Knowing what to say and when to say it is REALLY important. You can make 1000 calls and not find 1 customer if you're not saying the right things, at the right time, to the right person.

Wow... rambling again... lol...

Ask anyone here on the forum that has spoken to me on the phone and they will tell you that I do start rambling after a while...

But I ramble on and on about how to do the job... the RIGHT WAY!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

And don’t even get me started on the whining and crying you hear from EVERY side you deal with.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

drewcarr in Chicago, Illinois

77 months ago

BrokersBuddy in Blaine, Washington said: And don’t even get me started on the whining and crying you hear from EVERY side you deal with.

Broker buddy i really appreciate your insight...I am a newbie thinking of getting into the business and i really appreciate people like you that tell it like it is...!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

drewcarr in Chicago, Illinois said: Broker buddy i really appreciate your insight...I am a newbie thinking of getting into the business and i really appreciate people like you that tell it like it is...!!!

Well thank you... Not many do appreciate hearing the way it is... They were sold on a pipe dream and now they are scrambling just to pay their bills...

If you really want to be an agent and be trained right, I just took on one agent, and I might take one a few more. (newbie or not)

Email me and I will give you my # so we can talk.

Charles

77 months ago

By the way... You're up late... lol (your in Chicago right?)

Money Money in Dothan, Alabama

77 months ago

QUOTE Boker Buddy:
Knowing what to say and when to say it is REALLY important. You can make 1000 calls and not find 1 customer if you're not saying the right things, at the right time, to the right person.

This is probably one of the truest things I have heard in this business. You have to know what to say and when to say it. Terminology helps out alot.

I just brought in a a guy that has been a dispatcher for eight years. His first four weeks, he made very little, and i mean very little. Well, in the last three weeks, he has made tremendous strides in him making good money. He has made himself right at 5000 to him. Now granted, thats not huge money but for someone with no experience he has done really well fairly quickly.

I say that to let people know that money can be made if you WORK at it. I would assume that most people who start this business probably fail. One, no guidance, two, no patience. It takes, patience, guidance and a whole lot of willpower to make this happen.

The way i have always expressed it is like playing Chess, its easy to learn how to do it, but hard to become a master at it.

Michelle

77 months ago

BrokersBuddy in Blaine, Washington said: Well thank you... Not many do appreciate hearing the way it is... They were sold on a pipe dream and now they are scrambling just to pay their bills...

If you really want to be an agent and be trained right, I just took on one agent, and I might take one a few more. (newbie or not)

Charles

Hi,
I am very interested in becoming an agent. I would appreciate your help in this. I have time to devote to phone calls and I am not expecting to make alot of money to begin with. I basically want supplemental income even though with time it would be nice to make more than that. Please let me know if you would be willing to train and possibly work with me.
Thanks,
Michelle

77 months ago

Shoot me an email... I will give you my # so we can talk...

Charles

kevin in Sulphur, Louisiana

77 months ago

Hey Broker Buddy, wanted to ask you I am about to attend the freight brokering school out of Dallas Tx.. Do you think that is a good idea?? And also after class do you think you might have room for another agent when im finish school. I have way more time than money, also Im hurt from a back injury due to an accident in a 18 wheeler. Would love to put in the time and effort in this, but I will need a little schooling I guess to get a good insight of the business so I don't be a burden. I have 7 years of trucking as experience with my own truck so I know a little about trucking.. Could you please contact me and thanks for all the help you gave us......

Michael Stone in Hopkins, Minnesota

77 months ago

I found this by accident already sent you an email BB..

khaled in Beamsville, Ontario

77 months ago

BrokersBuddy in Blaine, Washington said: Hi Kevein... DON'T take any classes. If you work as one of my agaents, I train you for free.

HI
My name is khaled and i live in Toronto, Onatari if you wanted an agent to run your organization in Canada please email me. Thank you very much

Kelly in Downers Grove, Illinois

77 months ago

Why do you all want to be broker agents ?
No agent for myself, but for the business... because I have enough experience in trucking with good contacts.. I think if you have contacts or can get them easily, why bother thru big companies.

Why not start out in freight sales ?
trucking company sales is harder!! and they treat you like carp!

Why not learn by dispatching ?
because for the salary, it's a MASSIVE headache!!! VERY stressful job. Been in business for 10 yrs.

Why freight and not Real Estate ?
I was in real estate. Real Estate is no good now due to the internet and paying the $500 to be uploaded onto an MLS system. Not only there, due to where you live, real estate is especially no good right now. Plus I think it's harder to keep clientel via real estate. Shipping companies RELY on you more and are more faithful.

Why not insurance ?
because most insurance companies are SCAM!!

What is it your looking for by being a freight agent?
freight broker, not agent. working for myself and having the most deductions ;) Also, running a trucking company, it works hand in hand with what I deal with already.

khaled in Beamsville, Ontario

76 months ago

kevin said: my phone number is 337-274-3542 please call me

hey kavin from your personal experiance as broker, can tell me when is the slow season for brokages business.

rkay in Toronto, Ontario

76 months ago

BrokerBuddy, can i be an agent working from Toronto, ON. Canada?

76 months ago

yes... you can work as an agent from anywhere...

gary in Chehalis, Washington

52 months ago

Hey can someone line me out on brokering freight? I have two trucks now and just obtained a bond and an mc for it. I have a website but not sure its the way to go. I had a car hauler and the website pertains only to cars. now im hauling different commodities.
Thanks
Gary

lowlimitpokerpro in Odessa, Texas

52 months ago

dude, this guy is out of business, wiped with the recession, his website already expired, go fish for answers in a different site, also,
be very careful of guys in the internet who hire agents, they could be scam artist, better start with an established agency, because if you give out loads scam artist may not pay the truck and you are the contact to the trucker, in other words, you will be out holding the bag.

good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

good lookin out bro

52 months ago

Ive already set up the brokerage. where can I get freight to move?

gary in Onalaska, Washington

52 months ago

how would a freight agent be different from brokering?

AG85 in Santa Ana, California

51 months ago

BrokersBuddy in Blaine, Washington said: Well thank you... Not many do appreciate hearing the way it is... They were sold on a pipe dream and now they are scrambling just to pay their bills...

Charles

Im interested in becoming an agent as well, I would appreciate your insight.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Marius in Los Angeles, California

51 months ago

Charles

I am interesting to become a broker's agent. Can you help me with that?
Thank you

Angie J in Greenwood, Indiana

41 months ago

I am new to the freight brokering business as an agent. The company I went to work for is a trucking company but they are just now starting to open up the broker side of the business. I find myself very lost. I am trying reach out to see what would be the first steps in the brokering world. I know we call shippers and carriers until we at least get a bite after thousands of calls. I do not mind the hard work , I hope someday it will pay off but how do I locate a carrier list and shipper lists? I looked on the internet but can't find the right materials. I am starting brand new with little information. I am excited and I know this will not be an overnight success but need a little help! Can anyone help me out? I am located in Indianapolis, Indiana. Thanks !! :)

Lasunda in Lancaster, Texas

41 months ago

Hello Broker Buddy, Im very new to the business, my boyfriend is an owner operator and we have been building a business plan for me to become a broker, I have some friends that are owner operators as well and awaiting for me to join the business, I currently work for T-Mobile who is being bought out and it is truely time for me to make this happen before i am completely without revenue. I need some inside help with understanding the business. What is your email so that i may send you my number and get yours to talk futher about becoming a broker/agent.

Experienced Broker in Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin

41 months ago

Carrier411 has a carrier locator program built in. When starting its best to focus on moving products on a certain type of trailer, rather than trying to move loads on flatbeds, dry vans, refers etc. Once you have what type of product/trailer you want to work with focus on finding that type of carriers. Certain lanes are a lot easier than others as you will find out. Best option is to grab a few load boards. Seems the top 3 used are DAT transcore, Internet Truckstop and getloaded. Dont focus on undercutting rates as thats what killed the industry. Rather focus on good rates and lanes you can manage for a long term win.

If you are new to the industry I recommend getting a desk job at a trucking company for a year to learn the lingo and how everything works.

Hope that helps a bit Thanks

lowlimitpokerpro in Odessa, Texas

41 months ago

to all the new people trying to make a buck in this field, get real, this is a tough nut to break into, i tried for almost a year just being a broker (had sold my flatbed, since was an owner operator), well i had to buy a couple of flatbeds and a rig, rent out the other two flatbeds and i find their loads. I do drive in the summer in texas and my wife dispatch us, but we already have the contacts and know where the good loads are, if i was not for the flatbeds and that I drive once in a while, I would be broke, trust me, there is no easy way to make a living, I should know was a poker pro in my youth, and that is worst than being a broker.

JGIBBS8 in Chicago, Illinois

38 months ago

BrokersBuddy in Blaine, Washington said: And don’t even get me started on the whining and crying you hear from EVERY side you deal with.

HI! MY NAME IS JOEY,I HAVE BEEN BROKER FOR 2YRS,I HAVEN'T GOT ANY WHERE IN THE BUISNESS! LOOKING FOR SOME HARD TEACHING.

edwin in Dallas, Texas

31 months ago

i want you to email me and give me some in sight on brokering...i don't want to be like the one guy that's been in the business for 2 years and havent gotten anywhere... email me please....

ande1425

28 months ago

Looking for some insight on cold calling. I have been a freight agent for about a year now with not a lot of success. I do the calls but I think my opening line is all wrong. Do you have any pointers? Could you email me with some ideas? Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.